PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Battle Reports?

shay4brains
09-07-2008, 09:50
I'm just curious to get some responses from a few of the folks out there for a project of mine.

1) What is your favorite presentation of a battle report on the web? ( And in a magazine is cool too. )

2) Slightly different, what are your favorite battle reports?

Thanks in advance!

Rabid Bunny 666
09-07-2008, 11:08
The 3rd edition style, where each page is a turn (not two big pictures and a bit of description as it is now)

Fave batrep, the Battle at the Camp, the one with 3 Ork armies, still dig it out for a good larf.

El_Phen
09-07-2008, 12:08
Personally, I like the second edition era battle reports in which both players turns were reported sequentially and in decent detail and they had a little bit of background story developing depending on what happened that turn.

My favourite battle report (40k wise) was the Eldar v Eldar battle which had the winner of the Grand Tournament going up against the winner of the staff tournament. Two cheeseball competetive 2nd ed Eldar armies and people who can't stand to lose? Great stuff.

Lord Damocles
09-07-2008, 14:26
I prefered 4th ed. style (was there a '4th ed. style'?) with each page covering a single player turn, with a map showing each model as a circle/dot so that you can actually see whats going on.

My favourite reports (in no particular order) were:
- Space Wolves vs. Iron Warriors - two tournament winners, using cheesed out tournament armies which ground each other to a paste. Much more enjoyable to read than one army getting steamrollered by an obviously superior force
- Dark Eldar vs. Biel Tan - a classic example of how it's possible to throw away a chance at vivtory by not following a plan...
- Necrons vs. Mech Guard / Necrons vs. Deathwatch - nice narrative game, which had the added appeal of being able to read how the guard were incapable of killing anything (they killed about half a dozen Necrons in a 2000 point game)
- Dark Eldar vs. Catachans - FLAMERS!

Worst reports ever:
- Dark Eldar vs. Tau - wow, an illegal Dark Eldar force gets mown down crossing an open field. Fun.
- Ultramarines vs. Orks - an Ultramarine army makes no attempt to win against an illegal Ork army, on a stupidly set up board.
- Dark Angels vs. Tau - Lets have a marine gunline shoot the begezus out of a terribly played Tau force...

Enderel
09-07-2008, 14:34
I'm not overly fond of the more recent GW battle reports, I'd rather read some of the ones posted on here or on other GW related sites.

Personally I prefer ones that have a strong narrative theme to them and instead of the dice side of the action the report is written more as an action movie... Pictures are normally very helpful unless the writer is exceptional at portraying the battlefield and movements upon it. Maps of movements also help greatly.

On the subject of narrative I like sensible fluffy stories rather than things that bend the back ground to much.

Lantern
09-07-2008, 14:35
I've never read an online battle report, but as for other, I always enjoyed reading the Jervis Johnson and Andy Chambers battles. They always came across like genuine games between pals, although one of the best I ever read was a 2nd edition game which I believe had Jervis (Eldar) fighting Adrian Wood's Space Wolves. The battle was republished in the Battle Book and was just a good read and gave me an idea of what a well constructed and balanced army looks like.

Fist of Crimson
09-07-2008, 17:26
2nd edition style were the best ones for me.

I particularly enjoyed the Andy Chamber vs Jervis Johnson Blood Angels vs Orks for the 2nd edition release. The one where Captain Tycho gets his fluff from.

There was also a Blood Angels vs Eldar battle around the release of the Falcon GRav Tank. That was pretty fun too.

Promethius
09-07-2008, 17:34
I've never read an online battle report, but as for other, I always enjoyed reading the Jervis Johnson and Andy Chambers battles. They always came across like genuine games between pals, although one of the best I ever read was a 2nd edition game which I believe had Jervis (Eldar) fighting Adrian Wood's Space Wolves. The battle was republished in the Battle Book and was just a good read and gave me an idea of what a well constructed and balanced army looks like.

Wasn't there a running joke along the lines of Jervis having never beaten Andy C in a battle report? A bit like Gav T's habit of loosing them also, although that wasn't mocked quite so much. Ah, nostalgia...

Personally, I'm a fan of narrative battlereports, as they tend to keep my interest more than 'player A moves tactical squad x forward 6" and fires his boltguns - three orks dead'. When the whole battlereport reads like a story I can really get into it and enjoy the experience. I'm also a fan of one turn per page, as it makes it simple to follow. Running casualty/VP/objective lists per turn are cool also, as they make it clear exactly how the tide of war is ebbing and flowing. You can really grasp how hard-fought over an objective is.

ChaosBeast
09-07-2008, 18:11
i also prefer the 3rd edition style with a decent amount of text and a story line. my favourite report was orks versus SW when SW got their codex in 2000. there were 2 1000 point ork armies , each at a different board edge and the SW were in the middle trying to escape off one of the 2 short board edges. now they cant even get a defilers BS right.:D

ChaosBeast
09-07-2008, 18:12
i also prefer the 3rd edition style with a decent amount of text and a story line. my favourite report was orks versus SW when SW got their codex in 2000. there were 2 1000 point ork armies , each at a different board edge and the SW were in the middle trying to escape off one of the 2 short board edges. now they cant even get a defilers BS right. :D

the1stpip
09-07-2008, 18:47
Back in the midsts of time (about WD 225) there was a battle report called 'Glazer's Creek', involving Praetorians and Orks.

Very Zulu-esque, and a far cry from the standard 'line 'em up' game.

Fire Harte
09-07-2008, 19:01
I think the Apocalypse reports were brilliant, so much going on and hundreds of models. The WD Tau vs IG and SM was awesome, and the models (except the studio army) looked really cool and in place. Although not 40k the WHFB reports are really good IMHO.

However the latest report: Black Legion Vs Ultramarines sucked really badly, it was soooooo dull...

Fist of Crimson
09-07-2008, 19:08
Back in the midsts of time (about WD 225) there was a battle report called 'Glazer's Creek', involving Praetorians and Orks.

Very Zulu-esque, and a far cry from the standard 'line 'em up' game.

I forgot about that one. That one is definately on my list. Brilliant stuff from Paul Sawyer's white dwarf.

Frecus
09-07-2008, 19:11
I like reports where each action and important dice roll is described, but, with lots of narrative thrown in:

"My sister squad 'virgina' shot all their bolters at the orcs, but to their own surpise, only one shot actually hit the mark, and both units stared as the one ork fell down with a dull thud."

Read some really good reports online years ago!

Not sure which report is my favourite, but there were some really good WHFB reports from a guy nicked lestat_321 on the battleglade. Even named my dragon after his general who died during one of those reports!

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

Darnok
09-07-2008, 19:17

I think this has become one of the all-time classics. Definetely one of my favourites.

Then there was the already mentioned three-way Ork report (three Waaaghbosses crunching each other).

When the Battle for Armaggedon campaign was running, they did a battle report over two WD, with multiple boards and almost a dozen players/armies involved.

Those three are the best battle reports I remember. There were other good one, but those three are my personal favourites.

Ammedie
09-07-2008, 19:18
the best report ever has to go be the 3rd edition 'carnage' with white scars chaos black templars and ulthwe.

i wish i had the white dwarf.. i think it has the original VDR in it as well

Promethius
09-07-2008, 20:58
Best battle report ever, IMO, was back in 2nd ed, when loyalist space marines came to defeat the evil lord varnak (was that his name?) and the Imperial Guard that he had bewitched. Came soon after the release of the chimera tank, and was probably the first large-scale battle report in the dwarf (as far as I can remember!).

Hicks
09-07-2008, 22:36
My favorites were during the 3rd Armageddon campaing. The campaing itself and all the coverage and fluff that came with it was really one of GWs biggest and best achievement IMO (certainly pulled me back into 40K).

What I really digged was those super fluffy multi-game battle reports. Basically one big central mutliplayer game and a number of side games that had an impact on the main game.

I remember that a force made of Steel Legion, Blood Angels and Salamanders was defending a tank factory from a huge green tide. On another table, Catachans had to protect 3 basilisks that were actualy shooting on the main table! Black Templars were involved in boarding and sabotaging a space hulk that was launching torpedos at the main table. Lastly, White Scars and Speed Freaks were racing each other to reinforce the main battle.

Something such as this would be reall hard to organize in real life, but I was thrilled to see it in a WD.

Waaagh Grignak
09-07-2008, 22:39
Definatley Battle of the Camp from 237!

My favourite all time report has to be the Orks v Squats epic BR from 154, that was history in the making :)

warpedpavilion
10-07-2008, 04:12
I liked the reports back in 2nd edition, where the battles were more like stories. GW even came out with a book with just battle reports (oddly enough, it was called Warhammer 40,000 Battles).... the Orks vs. Eldar one in that book still stands out in my mind a good 10+ years later...

Enderel
10-07-2008, 07:56
I've found my worst ever one now, in the new 40k Rule book they have Eldar vs Ultramarines and it is so brief you wonder why they bothered putting it in there in the first place.

Going back to favourites I'd have to agree with the Andy Chambers Vs Jervis Johnson ones. Blood Angels Vs Eldar, Blood Angels Vs Orks still stick in my mind for 40k whilst the two epic ones I remember are the blood angels vs eldar at 6000pts and squats vs orks at 4000pts (I think)

The squat one was amazing, although Jervis really did suck as a general, who puts a coloussus and then a land train in front of a gargant! That battle report opened my eyes to cross system campaigns / battles as they said they were going to play a 40k game to get Yarrick out of the orkish dungeons! This BR is also where Yarick got his Baneblade from I suspect!

@Lantern, give online ones a try hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised at the quality of some of them.

WLBjork
10-07-2008, 08:25
Best battle report ever, IMO, was back in 2nd ed, when loyalist space marines came to defeat the evil lord varnak (was that his name?) and the Imperial Guard that he had bewitched. Came soon after the release of the chimera tank, and was probably the first large-scale battle report in the dwarf (as far as I can remember!).

Yeha, that's mine as well.

Dozens of tanks, back when tanks were tanks, and not mobile heavy weapons.

Sleby
10-07-2008, 09:17
My favorites were during the 3rd Armageddon campaing. The campaing itself and all the coverage and fluff that came with it was really one of GWs biggest and best achievement IMO (certainly pulled me back into 40K).

What I really digged was those super fluffy multi-game battle reports. Basically one big central mutliplayer game and a number of side games that had an impact on the main game.

I remember that a force made of Steel Legion, Blood Angels and Salamanders was defending a tank factory from a huge green tide. On another table, Catachans had to protect 3 basilisks that were actualy shooting on the main table! Black Templars were involved in boarding and sabotaging a space hulk that was launching torpedos at the main table. Lastly, White Scars and Speed Freaks were racing each other to reinforce the main battle.

Something such as this would be reall hard to organize in real life, but I was thrilled to see it in a WD.

Yeah I remember this. Does anyone know the issue number? I really want to read it again. :D

The basilisks firing from one table to another was just plain awesome.

Hicks
10-07-2008, 21:26
@ Sleby: It's in WD 247.