PDA

View Full Version : Are chaos dreads any better in 5th?

sturguard
09-07-2008, 20:07
I am debating playing chaos and I was wondering what people thought of dreadnoughts? I was going to make an EC force so I would use a noise marine dread and use its sonic blaster as a plasma cannon.

How do people rate dreads in 5th. First, the dread with plasma cannon seemed very reasonably priced, 105 pts for a dread with plasma cannon. It obviously seems easier for dreads to get cover saves than vehicles, thus getting a 4+ cover save often. Plasma negates feel no pain so that seems like a winner. I would just like to see what other people thought.

By using dreads, it seems like it would help out the defiler somewhat as they are the same armor value. I was thinking of

3 dreads w/plasma @315
2x2 of oblits @ 300
1 defiler @150

Thoughts?

agio65
09-07-2008, 20:28
i donīt believe that the new Ed. makes shooty dreds better, cc dreds are the winnerīs under 5. running gets them faster where they hurt your opponent more than you .

Sanctjud
09-07-2008, 20:58
5th ed. still doesn't address the primary problem with dreads.

The Crazed Roll. Not doing what you want to do can really tick someone off... esp. at the worst moment.

They still remain fun/armor saturation, but keep the weapons to: second DCCW or ML's....anything else is too threatening to YOUR army.

My 7 Cents.

Grand Master Raziel
09-07-2008, 20:59
I agree that close combat Dreads are the most effective way to go for Chaos players. Chaos Dreads already have one more base attack in their profile than loyalist Dreads. You can give them an additional attack by taking a second Dread CCW instead of a gun arm, turning them into respectable close-combat monstrosities, a single blow from which will instakill anything up to T5. At a points-price that barely reaches three figures, they're cheap for what they do. Having 2 Dread CCWs minimizes the damage the Dread will do to your forces if it Fire Frenzies at an inconvenient time, and the Run rule lets you get the thing across the table and into combat more quickly than previous editions would allow. So, I think close combat Dreads will be the general order of the day for Chaos players.

Clang
09-07-2008, 22:08
yeah, the new running rules made close combat Dreads a lot more viable, especially as it also avoids most Fire Frenzy problems. And they're really fluffy, especially for Khorne

Sanctjud
09-07-2008, 22:27
NO.

It does NOT avoid the Fire Frenzy.
If you roll that "I shoot whoever", you are NOT allowed to move, and MUST shoot the closest.... and no smoke launchers as well.

The problem is.... in most of what I've seen in my gaming group... the shooty dreads run forward, while the CC dreads sit 3" away from the enemy and decide to shoot instead of charge in.

My 7 Cents.

Warmaster Primus
10-07-2008, 01:32
I run a Close Combat dread in my chaos army. Fire frenzy has only been a problem once, while i've rolled the fleet of foot option several times. It's a gamble, but one that i challenge every game.

In 4th, i managed to get him in cc once. Since my gaming group has been playing 5th, he's seen it 5+ times.

In full disclosure, last week my CC Dread did fire frenzy with his heavy flamer and twin linked bolter on turn 1. With amazing roles he managed to kill 2 obliterators. Of course they were my obliterators :cries: but it was still a sight to see.

studderigdave
10-07-2008, 01:49
the chaos dred got a bad rap in the new codex, i run mine with a missile launcher and DCCW. fire frenzy? fire a frag missile into my plague marines, ive yet to kill any from the hit. and the krak still makes good anti tank.

nurglez
10-07-2008, 02:14
My main issue with chaos dreads, is that the latest codex made them more costly, at a slight disadvantage. fire frenzy got nerfed so its closest target, and they no longer get double attacks after blood frenzy. (got a fond memory of one of my dreads charging a souped up hive tyrant, and ripping it in half in 1 round of combat)

Since the latest codex, i sorta stopped using my 2 dual ccw dreads, though i'll prob start again. with the run rule, should be more interesting.

Bloodknight
10-07-2008, 02:28
They should have left the switching of FF and BF if he cannot do the thing you rolled. Also, I still don't understand why the dread has to carry that stupid single combibolter. Why can't I upgrade both of them to heavy flamers?

Sanctjud
10-07-2008, 04:58
Why can't I not have any weapons on it...so I can dedicate it to CC and never fire frenzy....cause they want all their juicy cool stuff to go to the loyalists...

I considered 2-3 Dreads in my 2000 list for 5th, I went with 20 lesser daemons instead..

My 7 Cents.

WallWeasels
10-07-2008, 06:04
My brother wanted to use CC dreads and I first thought of using two heavy flamers and just keepign everyone out of template range (therefore making it blood frenzy instead as no one is in range). But sadly the second arm is forced to just stay a bolter! :( So it ends up capping off 2 or 4 shots into one of your squads.

Vaz84
10-07-2008, 06:25
I'm pretty excited with running chaos dreads, while the fire frenzy is discouraging (sadly you cant -not-take a weapon in 40k at no change to a models price).

They could have worded it in a FAQ or something "the dreadnought will fire its primary right arm weapon twice".. It's hard to understand the insanity of a giant beast of death with two massive close combat chain axes stopping to "take a leak" of bolter shells.

I plan on taking one in all friendly games, but in a tourney I think there are better options that are reliable.

toymaker
10-07-2008, 15:35
I love Dreads. I ordered my 3rd (The new FW DG one) Who cares how they do. They're fun and look amazing on the field

x-esiv-4c
10-07-2008, 15:37
I think the new cover rules really benefit dreds giving them a tactical edge sorely missed in 4th.