PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my 5th edition rulebook!

keatsmeister
09-07-2008, 19:09
I came home today to the pleasant surprise of my 5th edition rulebook turning up today :D Having read through it for the first time this evening, here are my initial thoughts.

The book is a lot more readable at first glance. Each section flows well, and where clarity is needed, the examples used are pretty much spot on.

Time has clearly been spent on picking up the little details that were ever missing from previous editions, for example the Wobbly Model Syndrome is a small problem that has caused many a contentious argument, yet a small aside like this sets a clear precedent to be followed. :)

Ruleswise, enough has been said on the various threads over the last few months, the game looks to have more brutal combats, and vehicles have got a new lease of life with the long overdue overhaul of their rules.

The background section as with previous editions gives plenty of fascinating material for all areas of 40K, accessible for players new to the hobby, and plenty of new material for us veterans.

I'm looking forward to playing my first games with the new rules, and if they're anything like the book itself, it should be a much smoother experience. Time will tell how well the rules stand up to the power-gaming phenomenon and the advances of Codex revisions, but my verdict so far.... Looking good

Unamed Consript
09-07-2008, 19:17
Wait you got yours TODAY!?!?!?!!!

eek107
09-07-2008, 19:26

Quite a few have been sent out before the official release. I got mine yesterday along with a lot of other people.

shakespear
09-07-2008, 19:31
Hobbytown will have mine, Friday at 4:30

MistaGav
09-07-2008, 19:53
Ah man how have you lot got yours early?

marv335
09-07-2008, 20:11
i got my gamers edition today.
After a quick read through, has anyone else noticed that units with the "tankhunters" USR auto pass morale checks against tank shock?

Sildani
09-07-2008, 20:20
Same as 4th Ed., that.

To the people with Gamer's Editions: did you get two sprues of counters and such, like it had in the preview pic?

keatsmeister
09-07-2008, 20:32
Just a quick point on ramming (page 69). It mentions that you gain an additional bonus on your attack for Mass (ie if your vehicle is a tank). Anyone know if Super-Heavies are covered with any of their rules?

Darnok
09-07-2008, 20:40

Can't repeat it often enough: the official release in Germany was on 5th of July (last Saturday). I got my book even before that (quite exactly one week ago).

Son of Russ
09-07-2008, 21:12
I received my Collectors Edition today. I was hoping that at twice the price it would be worth it. And by God it is! The quality is astounding. Beautiful book.

And as an aside, having read halfway through, I believe this could be the best, most comprehensive version of 40K ever.

Summed up in one word?

Fantastic!

Heru Talon
09-07-2008, 21:22
Same as 4th Ed., that.

To the people with Gamer's Editions: did you get two sprues of counters and such, like it had in the preview pic?
Yep I got two of those sprues with it.

Killgore
09-07-2008, 22:48
My local store got their shipment of new books in today.... needless to say they all dissapeared by the end of the gaming night ;)

my wallets got a 30 hole in it hehe

eek107
09-07-2008, 23:10
Just a quick point on ramming (page 69). It mentions that you gain an additional bonus on your attack for Mass (ie if your vehicle is a tank). Anyone know if Super-Heavies are covered with any of their rules?

Not yet but the new Apoc Reload is coming up so it could easily be covered in that.

Joah_from_Alberta
10-07-2008, 00:58
I got mine today. It's still in the shrink-wrap. My son'll hate me for the next couple days, then when buddy sells his on ebay we can unwrap our book. Maybe.

Kettu
10-07-2008, 11:14
I did a preorder for both the Gamers and the Collectors edition and I have still yet to recive mine. :eyebrows:
Or be emailed the tracking number. :confused:
Or even have the money taken from my bank account to signal that the order went through in the first place. :(

If I don't have it or some idea of where it is or what happened to it by saturday then I'm e-mailing GW.

The website says that the order was accepted but nothing else.
I hope it comes tomorrow and they didn't just forget about me.:cries:

Anyone else in the same boat?

Temprus
10-07-2008, 14:06
I did a preorder for both the Gamers and the Collectors edition and I have still yet to recive mine. :eyebrows:
Or even have the money taken from my bank account to signal that the order went through in the first place. :(

If I don't have it or some idea of where it is or what happened to it by saturday then I'm e-mailing GW.

Contact GW immediately, I almost did not get my Vortex Grenade under similar circumstances and I was one of the first people to order it when it went live on the US site.

untimention
10-07-2008, 14:33
i went into a local indepedant today and bought a copy.

They had recieved them this morning and was pricing them up.

They also had apoc reloaded and the LOS markers.

We took one out the pack to see if we could see how bright the LED is, it has a small film on the back you have to pull to activate the battery... so we put it back in the packet.

Im at my gf's and just opened the book.

Will give i a flick through know

keatsmeister
10-07-2008, 19:48
i went into a local indepedant today and bought a copy.

They had recieved them this morning and was pricing them up.

They also had apoc reloaded and the LOS markers.

We took one out the pack to see if we could see how bright the LED is, it has a small film on the back you have to pull to activate the battery... so we put it back in the packet.

Im at my gf's and just opened the book.

Will give i a flick through know

The LOS marker is pretty cool, I just wish I'd received the 3rd item of my preorder - the Citadel Hand Flamer Spray...:p

shadowsun68
10-07-2008, 20:13
I recived my collectors edition monday 7th, and i must say that it is the best rulebook so far.

Keatsmeister the manager of my local GW told me that the hand flamers were faulty when i asked about them so they had to send them back thought you would like to know.

I also recived my white dwarf 344 (August) today and it shows that the new space marines codex will be out in october with a new land raider variant and new type of speeder, a PLASTIC drop pod and crusader, also the new veteran types vanguard and sternguard, special characters old and new, legion of the damned and the return of support weapons.

keatsmeister
10-07-2008, 22:05
I recived my collectors edition monday 7th, and i must say that it is the best rulebook so far.

Keatsmeister the manager of my local GW told me that the hand flamers were faulty when i asked about them so they had to send them back thought you would like to know.

Yeah, I got a call offering a refund and gift vouchers, but I'd still love one anyway. ;)

I've had time to go through the book in a bit more detail now, and I still remain , well impressed is perhaps too strong a word, but I remain reasonably happy. There are a few vague areas and minor gripes, but as a standard, 5th edition is a much better effort.

shakespear
11-07-2008, 00:11
Just got mine, Hobbytown put theirs out early. That ammo crate was hard to open

Adeptus Mechanicus
11-07-2008, 00:51
Really fell in love with the collectors edition version, found myself stroking the purity seal with trembling fingers...

Heru Talon
11-07-2008, 00:53
Just got mine, Hobbytown put theirs out early. That ammo crate was hard to open
Yeah I had the same problem, now I have one of the latches seperate from the box (tried to bend it to make it have a little more give and it came off...).

:(

WorLord
11-07-2008, 07:10

Same situation with me. Ordered gamers' edition last month. Checked order on GW site - showed as "processing". Called earlier this week - csr said order not completed, took cc info over phone. Order showed as "waiting merchant action" for a couple of days, now it's "processing" again. Calling again tomorrow morning- hope to resolve this.

BTW - gamers edition shows as "no longer available" on GW site. Maybe they ran out of cases or something?

Creeping_Death
12-07-2008, 18:16
Yeah I had the same problem, now I have one of the latches seperate from the box (tried to bend it to make it have a little more give and it came off...).

:(

Could be worse, I bent a finger nail up trying to get into mine ;)

Anyone else find the foam that comes with the ammo crate damn near useless?

VetSgtNamaan
12-07-2008, 18:33
Wellapparently my local gaming store decided not to order the gamers edition so I am sans a rulebook atm.So I guess once more I am off to order it from an on line retailer.

DeckOfManyThings
12-07-2008, 19:51
Well my local store had way too many orders for the number of books they got. I was fortunate to have pre-ordered a Gamer's Edition almost as soon as it was announced...

or so I thought.

Got my box, bought some other stuff and rushed home. Only at home did I realize that the BOOK was not INSIDE the ammo case. Neither were the counters or templates. Just foam.

Called the store on my way back to them. They explained that they had NO more books (and like 20 people who pre-ordered who didn't get one). When I got there they were able to get me my counters and templates, and a promise of "Monday" to actually getting my book.

GRRRRRR.

Poseidal
12-07-2008, 20:45
Could be worse, I bent a finger nail up trying to get into mine ;)

Anyone else find the foam that comes with the ammo crate damn near useless?

The foam reminds me of the old citadel cases they had.

Yes, I also found the crate very difficult to open, though it gets easier. Probably because I bent the clip out of shape...

40kdhs
12-07-2008, 22:50
I got it this morning. It looks thicker and nicer than the old one.

Chimaera2000
13-07-2008, 00:00
My friend picked it up yesterday and I borrowed it last night. I've had the chance to give it a pretty good once-over. Some of my first impressions....

1) I was initially annoyed and frightened when I saw that the new edition uses "true Line of Sight," thinking that large models with grand poses would be penalized heavily, since all it would take it a single protruding sword to allow someone to shoot at the entire enemy unit (!). Luckily, they include a side note that "true LOS" only applies when you can see the actual body of the unit (head, arms, legs and torso); banners, wings and the like aren't targeted. Thank goodness!

2) Unfortunately, the rules for wound allocation to complex units are complete garbage. The game defines a "complex unit" as one with models with different capabilities; say, a Tactical Squad with a lascannon, plasma gun and a Sergeant along with bolter-wielding Space marines. Wounds are allocated in sequence to each individual model in the unit, then saving throws are rolled. If one model fails three saves, well, sucks to be him, but the rest of the unit is fine.

This is significant because units with identical capabilities use the same wound allocation system in 4th: every failed save means a wound. Instead, complex units get to soak wounds for free because of how wounds are allocated. Heck, you can even do shenanigans like allocate an armor-penetrating wound (like a plasma shot) to a model, then keep allocating wounds to him even though everyone knows he's about to die.

This ruling favors complex units far too heavily. I strongly disagree with it.

3) Many of the rules from the leaked 5e PDF have proven to be accurate. Vehicles are tougher but only have Strength 4 defensive weapons, Feel No Pain is ignored by AP 1 & 2 Weapons, Run and Go to Ground are options for infantry and such. However, one interesting thing I found was with skimmers. Skimmers can no longer receive extra protection from skimmer fast movement and still be able to shoot in the same round, since you only get a cover save when you move 18"-24". However, they can still move 6" and fire all of their weapons. This means that an Eldar Falcon can feasibly equip a Bright Lance and be able to fire both it and its Pulse Laser for three Str 8 shots in a turn, tossing in three shots with a shuriken cannon if you only want to move it 6". Not that you usually would, mind you (the Falcon is better used as a transport), but having it is an option is neat.

4) Vehicles now benefit from cover, as many know. Since obscured targets now grant cover, instead, though, expect Tau Hammerheads to always have a 4+ cover save thanks to their disruption pods. In fact, since you can no longer perform skimmer fast movement and shoot in the same turn, Hammerheads are arguably the best tanks in the game now.

5) Walkers are much, much better in this edition. Assault-oriented walkers can now Run to close the distance with the enemy faster while shooting walkers can fire all of their weapons after moving 6". With the new defensive weapon rules in place, expect to see more of these bad boys running around.

6) The Building rules are an excellent touch. Now it's possible to have buildings be a big party in standard games rather than just specialty missions.

7) Each race is given a strong amount of coverage in the background section, which I heartily approve of. I don't always agree with the flavor, mind you; I find that the Imperial Guard is too underrated in their flavor text and the Space Marines are made out to be the only thing holding the Imperium together. Rather than just the old analogy of "Space Marines being the scalpel and the Imperial Guard being the sledgehammer" they've added that "Space Marines are the sword, the Imperial Guard only the shield," then describing the Space Marines assaulting and defeating an Ork army directly despite being outnumbered two hundred to one. I've always thought of Space Marines as an elite strike force rather than an actual standing army, myself. If you want an objective taken, send in the Space Marines. If you want a world taken, send in the Imperial Guard!

I also found that the Necrons were made out to be less mysterious and powerful in this edition. I personally liked their flavor from their previous codex much more.

For the most part, it's a very good book. The illustrations look great, the rules are more concise and easier to understand thanks to some well-thought-out diagrams, strong doses and flavor and a fair number of tips for the beginning modeler and painter. Rules-wise, I'm finding it to be consisting much more of tweaks than actual changes for the better. It's a lot more analogous to say, Dungeons and Dragons updating from 3rd edition to 3.5 than it was updating from 2nd to 3rd. I think it's still worthwhile, but it could've been far more.