PDA

View Full Version : Can a Bretonnian Knight join Peasants?

Deus Mechanicus
10-07-2008, 16:26
If you take a Knight with the Virtue of Empathy (so he can be fielded on foot) can he in turn join a unit of Men at Arms of Peasant Bowmen? It seems rather unfluffy that a regular bretonnian lord would join a unit of peasants but i can't seem to find a clause that forbids it in the army book?

Loopstah
10-07-2008, 16:55
If you take a Knight with the Virtue of Empathy (so he can be fielded on foot) can he in turn join a unit of Men at Arms of Peasant Bowmen? It seems rather unfluffy that a regular bretonnian lord would join a unit of peasants but i can't seem to find a clause that forbids it in the army book?

There doesn't seem to be anything in the army book preventing Knights from joining Peasant units (unless I've missed it).

If that's the case then a Knight on a horse could also join a unit of Men at Arms. You don't have to be on foot to join a unit of foot troops, mounted characters can also join units of foot troops.

redrum
10-07-2008, 17:02
Yes he can, that's sort of the whole point of the virtue of empathy. It's not unfluffy either, the description of the virute states that he's essentially a man of the people and beloved by his peasants.

T10
10-07-2008, 23:10
If on foot he would be able to join a unit of skirmishing bowmen. This may sound a bit silly, but considering the overall frailty of that unit then adding a fighty character in there should be sufficient to deal with common problems such as units of flyers or burrowers.

-T10

Tarax
12-07-2008, 10:32
If on foot he would be able to join a unit of skirmishing bowmen. This may sound a bit silly, but considering the overall frailty of that unit then adding a fighty character in there should be sufficient to deal with common problems such as units of flyers or burrowers.

-T10

Not necessarily. My skirmisher bowmen have broken and destroyed a unit of Marauder Horsemen, a unit of Furies and contributed to the destruction (well, they fled at the end of the battle due to a failed Panic test) of Dragon Ogres in a single battle, at the latest Dutch GT. :eek: I wouldn't call them frail. :D They'd only get insulted. ;)
All right, there was a damsel with them and at the end they themselves were also destroyed. But they're only peasants, so I didn't care.

TheWarSmith
12-07-2008, 16:15
In the 7th edition rules, he can actually join them even if he's mounted. He wouldn't have to have the virtue to join them.

theunwantedbeing
12-07-2008, 16:29
He can join a unit of peasants, it's not all that unfluffy either.
He's most likely there to make sure his peasants dont get themselves all killed, or so that they can see him do something heroic so they think he's wonderful and dont realise how worthless and miserable their lives really are.

A knight with say....the virtue of knightly tempar and the cuirass of fortune in a unit of mounted yeomen can potentially do a horrific amount of damage using the extra manoverability of the yeomen to his advantage to get flank charges and such.

Griefbringer
12-07-2008, 16:33
at the end they themselves were also destroyed. But they're only peasants, so I didn't care.

Serves them well - had they survived, they might have grown uppity and started questioning whether they really need the chivalrous protection (and taxation) of the mighty and righteous knights of Bretonnia.

kroq'gar
14-07-2008, 03:43
stick a damsel in them with the sacred relic.. regain the blessing for archers with a 6/5+ ward :P

We houserulled that my friend can field his bretonnians on foot (virtue of empathys a little silly for its price).