PDA

View Full Version : bretonnian peasant army

thedrunkenscot
10-07-2008, 17:12
I'm just starting Bretonnians and want to field a (nearly) all foot Bretonnian army. From what other people have told me it won't be hugely effective, but I'm more of a collector and painter so as long as it isn't going to get slaughtered every game, I don't mind. I haven't got a many of the models yet, so can play around with the army list.

The background is the army is from around a small grail chapel, with a solitary grail knight, a prophetess and some damsels to keep the chapel in order. When attacked the local land owners bring their peasants to do most of the fighting, each bringing a single unit, and a grail reliquae is brought from the chapel.

The army list is:

Prophetess 250
- Prayer icon of Quenelles,
- level 4

Damsel 150
- 2 dispel scrolls,
- level 2

Damsel 150
- 2 dispel scrolls,

Paladin 191
- Battle standard
- Banner of the lady
- Virtue of empathy
- Grail Vow

5 Knights of the realm 120

24 Peasant Bowmen 169
- Full command
- Braziers

24 Peasant Bowmen 169
- Full command
- Braziers

16 Peasant Bowmen 137
- Skirmishers

31 Men at Arms 182
- Full command

31 Men at Arms 182
- Full command

Grail Reliquae 235
- 19 pilgrims

Trbuchet 90

I know the units are large, but I love the idea of fielding huge units of peasants, and the numbers fit in with the box sizes.
The archers will be in 8 x 3 formation with a damsel in each unit, the men at arms will probably be in 6 x 5 with a couple of extras at the back, one with the prophetess, and one with the paladin. Each of the peasant units will be painted in the colour scheme of one of the knights of the realm.

Any comment and criticism welcome.

matticusmaximus
10-07-2008, 19:11
I'd recommend splitting the bowmen down into either 4 units of 12 or 3 units of 16. Right now your 8x3 formations are only allowing 8 guys at a time to shoot, leaving the other 16 sitting around to pick their noses. By splitting the units up, you allow more of your archers to actually shoot. If you really want to economize these units, I'd say drop the command groups, and break your blocks of 24 archers into small units of 8 archers apiece. By dropping the command groups and making your units smaller, you achieve two things. First, you are able to get all of your archers shooting at once, firing 48 arrows a turn instead of 16. Secondly, your army as a whole will fare better in close combat. Let's face it, if the archers get charged, they're screwed. They simply don't have the weaponry, armor, or combat bonuses to survive. Even your big block of 24 archers is likely going to bite it in the first round of combat. By splitting your archers up, you force your enemy to pick one of six units to charge, and forcing minimal casualties on you rather than bagging 150+ points of troops in one turn.

Aside from the archers, it looks like a very unique and fun army to play. I'm personally not a fan of the prophetess (I subscribe to the "bring enough magic to block whatever the other guy throws at me and use the spare points to bulk up troops" ideology), but if you want to do it go for it.

thedrunkenscot
10-07-2008, 19:39
I'm hoping to have a hill, either in my deployment zone, or close to it to get the archers onto. In 8*3 formation in combat they should still have 2 ranks standard and outnumber, which isn't bad along with defensive stakes, to stop charge bonuses.

I may deploy them 12 x 2 but I want to avoid splitting them up as I'm trying to keep it down to one peasant unit per knight due to the fact that each unit will be painted in the colour scheme of one of the knights.

If i drop the prophetess (as my two scroll caddies should be enough to stop most armies) what should I bring instead? I'm thinking another trebuchet, and possibly 2 units of 5 mounted yeomen, and they'll be painted in the same colours as the skirmishers.

matticusmaximus
10-07-2008, 21:52
The color scheme actually works perfectly. You've got the 48 archers that were in blocks. Split them up into 6 groups of 8. Then paint them in accordance with the 6 knights in the army (paladin included). Then you could paint up the skirmishers in some kinda woodland uniform, as if they were hunter/poacher types either pressed into service or hired as mercs.

If you end up dropping the prophetess, you could use the points to add a cheap fighter paladin and two more knights (the color scheme of the two knights could be used for the 16 skirmisher bowmen!), and probably another trebuchet. War machines are fickle, bringing two of them ensures that whatever you are shooting at will actually suffer some casualties.

thedrunkenscot
10-07-2008, 22:49
I've currently got 5 units of peasants, 2 archers, 2 men at arms, and a skirmisher unit, and those are from the local land owners, so the 5 knights each have a unit of peasants assigned to them and painted in their colours.
I'll probably drop the prophetess for another trebuchet, knight, and a unit 15 skirmishing bowmen.