PDA

View Full Version : Nominating. Secret or outloud?

kroq'gar
11-07-2008, 06:02
Quick search turned nothing

When is an item marked 'nominate an enemy model' secret and when is it tell your opponent.

I always declare who i nominated with the sword of heros at the start of everygame. Then i played somone and got my head lopped off by the same blade without being advised until i was struck.

I know the dwarf equivalant states 'secretly nominate'.

So, is nominate secretly noted on your army list or declared?

Condottiere
11-07-2008, 06:37
If it's secret, write it on a piece of paper, fold it and lay it aside.

kroq'gar
11-07-2008, 07:08
If it's secret, write it on a piece of paper, fold it and lay it aside.

Thats IF. Im asking IS it.

Condottiere
11-07-2008, 08:28
Which army book is this item in? The Grudge Rune says make a secret note on your roster.

T10
11-07-2008, 08:54
The Sword of Heroes is a Bretonnian magic weapon that does not have an effect that requires you to nominate a target.

Other items/abilities with similar effect:

Lizardmen - The Bane Head
Empire - The Sword of Fate
Daemons of Chaos - Karanak

Neither suggests you keep the nomination secret, nor that it is publicly announced. However, in making the announcement publicly you are also revealing the presence of said item, and common convention holds that magic items etc. are secrets to be revealed during the battle.

What does your group prefer?

-T10

Rikkjourd
11-07-2008, 12:19
I have used Sword of Fate a few times. I have always told my opponent about this item.

The way I see it, it doesn't say you should keep it a secret, so therefore you have to declare what you are doing.

Also, revealing it has some benefits. I used sword of fate on a captain on pegasus. I've had giants and dragons avoid the captain like the plague from turn 1, even though he probably would have been killed in a single turn by those monsters! Inflicting 6 wounds on a monster is VERY unlikely.

theunwantedbeing
11-07-2008, 12:23
I'de declare that a character was nominated to be affected by the weapon, but then not say who has the weapon.
Only stating who has it when they are actually able to fight the enemy.

That way the effect is public, but the item is still kept a secret.
Bit like the fellblade, you dont have to say who has it, merely that they are rolling to see if they are hurt by it. (obviously your opponent will know who has it when they do get hurt by it).

Loopstah
11-07-2008, 12:28
Yeah, the fairest way for both players is to say who the nominated target of the item is, but not say who's got the item in question.

Otherwise what's the point of taking the item when the opponent spends the whole game keeping the nominated character away from it.

You might say that's the whole point, but really it's sort of cheating, as your opponent shouldn't know what items each character has until they are used or found out through an in-game method and by telling them who has it to make them run away from them the whole battle is unfair.

The Red Scourge
11-07-2008, 15:10
Yeah, the fairest way for both players is to say who the nominated target of the item is, but not say who's got the item in question.

Nah.. The fairest way is telling a third person, who the target is and if they can't be there, then thats what cell phones were invented for ;)

kroq'gar
11-07-2008, 15:17
sorry, i meant sword of fate (have been using my skaven recently, forgot the name.. how terrible).

Under rules for 'hidden' (assassins) you nominate a regiment, suggesting secrecy, but i read the rules for sword of fate like an outloud nomination (without revealing the bearer).

Was hoping there was an easy answer!

EDIT: my game group would play either way, but i'd rater do it the correct way to avoid any foulplay.

Gazak Blacktoof
11-07-2008, 23:27
theunwantedbeing's method seems satisfactory. However I'm sure that when I've seen it used the player revealed that character X is carrying the sword and nominated a target Y. The result being that both players know which models are the bearer (X) and the target (Y).

kroq'gar
13-07-2008, 04:40
THats how i did it- nominate the target to my opponent then say no more.

DeathlessDraich
13-07-2008, 07:36
The method does not conceal the ability for Karanak, since he is the only one in the army and sometimes the cost/nature of the item is indicative of which character has it - logically a fighting character.

I simply announce at the start of the battle. This is not necessarily a disadvantage as the nominated character and his unit will manoeuvre to avoid the weapon/special ability.