PDA

View Full Version : magical banners and magical attacks

superduperkoopatrooper
11-07-2008, 14:45
Hi guys,

I would assume that a banner that gives a unit flaming attacks would result in the attacks of the unit being magical. If so, do you reckon this would apply to the new dark elf banner that grants armour piercing?

It's a slight quandry because other banners that affect combat performance like +1 attack or ASF probably wouldn't grant magical attacks. Whether these do or not I'm also not sure.

What do you reckon?

Loopstah
11-07-2008, 14:50
Only if it says magical flaming attacks like the VC Banner of Hellfire.

So if it said magical armour piercing attacks then yes they would be magical, if it doesn't say magical then they aren't magical.

Faustburg
11-07-2008, 14:54
That none of the banners would grant magical attacks, unless it specifically says so....

Flaming/poisoned/armour piercing/re-rolled/whatever granted by a banner does not mean magical attack automatically, any more than a similar effect caused by a spell.

The Red Scourge
11-07-2008, 14:56
... if it doesn't say magical then they aren't magical.

So you're saying. If in doubt, read the rules and description instead of making faulty assumptions.. Hmm.. Sounds like good advice if somewhat unorthodox ;)

superduperkoopatrooper
14-07-2008, 15:44
Thanks for clearing that up, I don't own the VC book Red Scourge so didn't realise that the hellfire banner was explicit about the attacks being magical.

What kind of rules are you supposed to ask about on this forum then? They're either going to be questions that are answered by the books, or questions that aren't answered by the books and therefore unanswerable by this community. Don't want to get into a debate about this, just defending my corner! :)

EvC
14-07-2008, 16:08
Nah, it was a fair question- and at least you weren't asking if wizards can cast spells whilst wearing armour...

T10
14-07-2008, 17:29
There is a certain tendency towards "read the manual" snobbery among some posters - the unwantedbeing being a prime example. A lot of us are able to play through a game without looking in the rule book more than half-a-dozen times ("Flanking skirmishers *still* don't negate the enemy rank bonus! I should make a note of that..."). I guess it's true what my uncle told me just before he died:

"With a basic grasp of the rules comes a feeling of great superiority!"

Words to live by.

-T10

DeathlessDraich
15-07-2008, 12:32
Hi guys,

I would assume that a banner that gives a unit flaming attacks would result in the attacks of the unit being magical. If so, do you reckon this would apply to the new dark elf banner that grants armour piercing?

It's a slight quandry because other banners that affect combat performance like +1 attack or ASF probably wouldn't grant magical attacks. Whether these do or not I'm also not sure.

What do you reckon?

It all depends on how you wish to approach the rules.

Method 1:
Apply only what is stated. No assumptions should be made even if obvious

The consequences of this:
a) Any item/ability with the word Fire is not a Flaming attack if the phrase Flaming attack is absent.

b) Any attacks which are magically enhanced e.g. by a magic item, are *not* magical unles the phrase Magical attack is present.

Method 2:
Assume what is obviously implied or seems obvious in the normal usage of the terms

(a) and (b) above would then have opposite interpretations. -
Fire causes Flaming attacks.
A magically enhanced attack is a magical attack.

Both Methods have their shortcomings. :p