PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing improvements

EmperorNorton
11-07-2008, 22:23
I need help choosing improvements for my human team, the Carcassone Grail Seekers (click the link in my signature if you want to see them).

One of my blitzers got his second improvement today (the first was +1ST) and can get a new general or strength skill. My first idea was tackle, but since I won't be facing many opponents with dodge that's probably not the best choice.

For my catcher's first improvement I rolled a double five, which makes choosing even harder. I don't think the additional point of movement is really worth it, but I'm not sure what would be better.

And although he still needs seven points for his second improvement, which will most likely take a long time, I'd like to hear opinions about what to give my ogre (first skill was guard).

Aaron
12-07-2008, 11:59
I really depends where you want to take your team.

Do you want your Blitzer on the line of scrimmage? If so, Guard and Mighty Blow are worthwhile skills. If you want him to take out ball carriers, I'd suggest Frenzy, Juggernaut, Strip Ball or even Break Tackle now that he's got ST 4.

As for the catcher, Nerves of Steel is an excellent skill. Doubly so if you're lucky enough to get two catchers with the skill. A worthy use of a double, in my opinion.

As for the Ogre, it's a bit harder. You've got most of the decent strength skills already. Break Tackle is sometimes useful. On a double, obviously Block is essential.

The Grand Wazoo
12-07-2008, 12:13
I really depends where you want to take your team.

Do you want your Blitzer on the line of scrimmage? If so, Guard and Mighty Blow are worthwhile skills. If you want him to take out ball carriers, I'd suggest Frenzy, Juggernaut, Strip Ball or even Break Tackle now that he's got ST 4.

As for the catcher, Nerves of Steel is an excellent skill. Doubly so if you're lucky enough to get two catchers with the skill. A worthy use of a double, in my opinion.

Good suggestions there, I'd throw in Stand Firm as a possibility for the Blitzer and I'd definitely pick Nerves of Steel on that double for the catcher.

As for the Ogre.. Grab is quite good, and Multiple Block can be fun once you have a couple of guys with Guard to help him a little or he gains +1ST.

the anti santa
12-07-2008, 23:39
I have to strongly disagree with some of the choices put forward so far.

Stand Firm is a pretty pointless skill for the blitzer as is Break Tackle.

Guard is a skill humans really need and Mighty Blow is also a good choice. Frenzy is feasible with ST4, but can often be a liability though if you do take frenzy then juggernaut becomes an ok choice later on. Strip Ball is best given to a lineman, as you only have 5 players who can take strength skills normally you need to maximise those.

Nerves of steel is a total waste on AG3, you really don't want to be catching the ball in tackle zones as you then have to dodge and there's a good chance that there will be a chance of an interception. Also you probably won't use it that much anyway, and if you are playing LRB4 rules then it is a total waste, dauntless is much better.

Block is as always a good 1st choice, if you already had it i'd suggest guard and then sidestep for a very annoying combo, but then it's not good to put an AV7 player next to the other team. Personally I'd take the Move, MA9 is not to be sneezed at and it also makes scoring a 1 turn touchdown much easier.

After that Block, sidestep and Diving Tackle are all good. having a sneaky git and DP catcher can be fun too. Dauntless and strip ball can make him a decent safety as well.

For the Ogre Grab is nice as is Break Tackle, but once he has guard then he can end up being a bit of a TV liability if he doesn't roll doubles. Don't rely on him to do anything useful, just use him to give assists with guard, take hits and tie up enemy bashers.

-fen-
13-07-2008, 01:43
Assuming LRB5

I need help choosing improvements for my human team, the Carcassone Grail Seekers (click the link in my signature if you want to see them).

One of my blitzers got his second improvement today (the first was +1ST) and can get a new general or strength skill. My first idea was tackle, but since I won't be facing many opponents with dodge that's probably not the best choice.
Guard, ST4 + Guard is a solid assist that allows you to resist bashing teams.

For my catcher's first improvement I rolled a double five, which makes choosing even harder. I don't think the additional point of movement is really worth it, but I'm not sure what would be better.
Guard or Nerves of Steel are the best two doubles rolls for a human catcher. +MA is also very good. NoS is taken for recieving the ball in tackle zones when handing off and also as a scoring threat on pitch because he can't be left just 'marked'.

And although he still needs seven points for his second improvement, which will most likely take a long time, I'd like to hear opinions about what to give my ogre (first skill was guard).
Stand Firm on a normal roll, Block on doubles. Guard + Stand Firm is great on the human Ogre as it makes him very hard to remove his assist.

EmperorNorton
13-07-2008, 09:17
To clarify a couple of things:
We're playing LRB5.

After he got ST4 the blitzer in question usually gets to make the blitz, either to open up a gap for my catcher to slip through or to hunt the opposing ball carrier. Hence I think guard, which is usually my first choice for blitzers, is not the best option for him. I'm leaning towards frenzy, although it can be a drawback, too.

I don't think guard is what I want for my catcher as I try to not have him in base contact with any opposing players anyway. Same for Nerves of Steel, although that has some merit. MA9 is nice, but still pretty far away from the possibility of a one turn touchdown.
If he had just gained a normal skill he'd have gotten block, but I don't want the double five going to waste as you never know when you'll roll a double again.

Of course I'm hoping for a double for my ogre, too. So far he's been a big disappointment and getting block would improve him drastically. Assuming I don't roll doubles, though, I'm uncertain about the order of strength skills he should get. Grab seems to be used best to throw opposing players out of bounds, but since the ogre usually is front and center in my line-up and doesn't get near the sideline often that'd seem wasted. Since so far he has rarely been blocked Stand Firm doesn't look overly desirable, either.

Cirrus the Blue
14-07-2008, 08:07
Regarding your Blitzer, I'm inclined to reccomend you turn him into a ball carrier to be perfectly honest! Sure Hands would do fantastically for him. Let me put it this way - he's Strength 4. Who in his right mind would dare chase that backed up with Block all by himself?! Your Blitzer is already Movement 7, 2 GFIs and he's nearly at the endzone! Backed up properly with a couple other punching bags, he's practically unstoppable at that rate if you look at it from that perspective! But that's just what I'd do with a Strength 4 Blitzer. ;) hehe Slap Dodge on his butt with a hopeful AG and MA upgrade and you've got a powerhouse of a great player! Even without those, however, the Strength makes up for it on it's own I'd say. I know I'm gonna have everyone on this thread claiming I'm barking mad, but I think it'd make for a fantastic player just with the S4 and Sure Hands on it's own! Trust me. There will be players in your league who will choose Strip Ball, and that skill hurts like heck on the receiving end if you're not prepared to handle it.

As for your Catcher, NoS is HANDS DOWN what your skill choice should be! Like you said yourself - you should never count on another Doubles roll, after all. Although, the extra MA is terriffic on a Catcher. One or the other is a great choice however which way you want to put it. Yes, it's only one more square, but think of it this way - it's one more square that you can outrun most any other player with if you're prepared to make a GFI or two. I'd say go for the Double 5s as stat upgrades are much harder to get than rare skill upgrades. You can roll doubles again. What are your chances of rolling another 10? I had a catcher with MA 9 and with that singular square extra of movement, he made more TDs than practically anyone else on the team! Besides my Star Blitzer who was also MA 9, that is. :P hehe

And as for your Ogre, Piling On is a fun skill to have. Even though it lays him down on the turf, my own Ogre has 'killed' more players that way, mark my words. It will seriously clear out the playing field. Not to mention the fact he's not going to be getting many SPPs without casualties unless you try for a TD or two (those are truly epic and funny as hell when they do happen with an Ogre). If he gets Doubles, however, it shouldn't be a second thought in your head to give him Block. Break Tackle is another good skill to put on him down the road, too as sometimes you will need to move your Ogre away from a scrum for one reason or another and AG 2 sorta stinks for doing that. :P

One last thing to keep in mind with your Ogre. Don't underestimate his intelligence. lol Yeah, he's pretty thick, but trust in his abilities to be a player on your team. I've seen too many people just leave their Ogres alone for a measley Tackle Zone when they can be so much more useful when given the chance to be. It's only on a roll of 1, after all.

Hoping that gives you some ideas for your Humans! I'm very glad to know I'm not the only one who plays them anymore! haha ;) Good luck with them!! :D

- Cirrus

gazthrak
16-07-2008, 20:25
I personally like making a catcher/runner (generally the faster, high AG/Dodge guy) into the a nuisance by giving him strip ball. I usually like to play fast teams, skaven being my fave, so i come across a lot of cages. More often that not, I am able to get the ball out even if they are choosing the dice. Not playing against a cage? even better.

Maybe im just lucky.

Cirrus the Blue
16-07-2008, 22:49
Not any luck involved with that tactic. That's just what the skill's supposed to do. ;) This is exactly why Sure Hands is so important on a ballcarrier! hehe

- Cirrus