PDA

View Full Version : are there "Hoverbikes" in the 40K universe?

Puuka
12-07-2008, 01:04
I was bored today with a day off and I cut up some old Heroclix and Mageknight figs to do some customs.

First one I did was take Black Knight (http://www.wizkidsgames.com/images/figures/Rotating/HMFF/HMFF_004.jpg). I cut off his head and replaced it with Raza's (http://www.wizkidsgames.com/images/figures/Rotating/HMSV/HMSV_022.jpg) head and cut off his sword hand and replaced it with Cable's (http://www.wizkidsgames.com/images/figures/Rotating/HMMM/HMMM_073_rot01.jpg) gun.

Just wondering if there is anything like this in the 40K universe (I figure the gun would be equivalent to a plasma riffle)

Burnthem
12-07-2008, 14:12
Sure, some planets with a high technology base would be capable of building hover bikes. One planet that springs to mind is Gudrun, from the Eisenhorn trilogy, its anti-grav manufacturing capabilities are quite advanced.

Lax
12-07-2008, 16:14
I don't have any idea on what your minis looks like, but in Rogue trader, space marines had hoverbikes :)

Puuka
13-07-2008, 01:26
I don't have any idea on what your minis looks like, but in Rogue trader, space marines had hoverbikes :)

The names are all links to the minis I used. ;)

precinctomega
13-07-2008, 06:49
It's a bit of a disputed question. According to certain elements of the background, the secrets of build jetbikes have been lost, with the only remaining one being that ridden by the Master of the Ravenwing. But given the general ubiquity of anti-grav technology (civilian anti-grav tech appears in a number of publications, including Eisenhorn, Warriors of ultramar, the Inquisitor Sketchbook and many more) one can only conclude that this only applies to the Astartes-pattern jetbike, with more general types being available to worlds with a high technology base.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I haven't built a jetbike for use in INQ, yet. But it's only a matter of time...

R.

Inquisitor Castleman
13-07-2008, 10:38
I was always under the impression anti-grav was outlawed by Imperial Decree.
Then again, thats the problem with the older background info, who knows whats canon anymore...
The bike you show in the picture is a good base though. Personally, if and when I get round to it, I myself would go for a Harley-esque bike with hoverplate-type things instead of wheels.

Lax
13-07-2008, 14:13
http://www.geocities.com/brynleytravers/eyeonebay/bullockbikeAdv.jpg
:)

kaled
13-07-2008, 21:03
Then again, thats the problem with the older background info, who knows whats canon anymore...I'm curious, where'd you hear that? I've never come across that story before.

Otherwise I pretty much agree with PO. The Master of the Ravenwing might have the only remaining marine jetbike, but they used to be a lot more common and there are examples of civilian anti-grav stuff so I don't see any reason why you shouldn't have one. In fact I was reading the old Book of the Astronomicon earlier and that had recon units of the Imperial Army mounted on hover boards.

precinctomega
14-07-2008, 07:20

Someone better point that out to all those servoskulls, then... ;)

R.

Puuka
15-07-2008, 16:38
One has to ask then, why don't they make more use of the tech? Driving the bikes over a war torn field can't be fun.

Daredhnu
18-07-2008, 09:03
it's a possability that the amount of armour space marines favor would make it difficult or dangerous for an anti-grav platform of that size to be ridden.
(both armour of marines and the bikes armour)

but that's my take on it there probably are plenty of civilian hover-bikes the weedy ones not capable of supporting an astartes and the armour plating required for battlefield operations. it could work for regular humans though i suppose.

Puuka
19-07-2008, 00:29
it's a possability that the amount of armour space marines favor would make it difficult or dangerous for an anti-grav platform of that size to be ridden.
(both armour of marines and the bikes armour)

but that's my take on it there probably are plenty of civilian hover-bikes the weedy ones not capable of supporting an astartes and the armour plating required for battlefield operations. it could work for regular humans though i suppose.

That's a good argument for it. Anyhow, I have it all painted up. I think it looks pretty cool. Now I just need to borrow a decent camera so I can take pics of it. Also made a Tech Priest out of a MageKnight Blood Cultist.

Inquisitor Castleman
22-07-2008, 12:03
I hold my hands up I made a mistake. Anti-grav is only outlawed in the Guard. See Codex page 4.