PDA

View Full Version : 40k Counter Set: A Brief Review

DMG
12-07-2008, 07:52
Well I've now played a game using the new 40k Counter Set.

First up, they're a pain to cut from the sprue. I had bits of green plastic flying everywhere. It's not a "soft" plastic like standard minis. It's a hard, non-flexible plastic, same as the Apocalypse templates. Cutting the wound counters was especially painful.

Using them in a game is good, but they need some simple improvements.

Turn Counter: The turn counter is hard to read & the arrow can stick a bit. So, today I drilled out the center hole in the base & magnetised the arrow. Now it spins a treat! And bumping the counter won't result in the arrow dropping out.

The numbers are a bit hard to read, so I've filled in turns 1-5 with black paint & 6-7 with red paint. Problem solved!

The moon for night fight is a bit meh. It doesn't fit on very well at all.

Objective Counters: These green flags are great. They really stand out on the battlefield, infact, they look like they're glowing. No more excuses for missing objectives. Love them!

Run & Fallback Counters: These are nice, big green arrows. They can't be confused with anything else & work a treat on the tabletop.

Rapid Fire / Gone to Ground Counters: These are big triangles. Rapid Fire has a bolter on the front, GtG has a bomb on it. You have to pay carefull attention to which is which. So, I'll be dabbing a bit of paint on them to tell them apart.

Vehicle Damage Counters: Speaking of not being able to tell them apart...with 5 different, hex shaped, damage types for vehicles they can start looking the same. Once again, nothing some highlighting with paint won't fix. Also, they're not prone to falling off like the old vehicle damage dice (which are now defunct).

Smoke Counters: These are nice, little, fluffy cloud shapes. 1..2..3..Awwwww

Vehicle Movement Counters: There's 3 different sized oval shapes to show what speed a vehicle has moved. Very handy when you're moving lots of vehicles around. I prefer to think of them as the "farty Rhino tokens..." You'll understand why when you see them...

Wound Counters: These are a bunch of little skulls. They were a bit fiddly to use, so I'll be sticking with my magnetised headstone markers...

All in all, it's a good set, but just requires a little bit of effort to make it user-friendly.

Cheers,
Jim.

StormWulfen
12-07-2008, 07:59
I prefer to think of them as the "farty Rhino tokens..." You'll understand why when you see them...

i know exactly what you mean hehe:chrome:

Cypher
12-07-2008, 08:27
What surprised me was the size of the counters: I was expecting something a bit smaller, but these are actually quite large.

I agree - they're generally pretty good.

Drogmir
12-07-2008, 08:28
Are they like the Fantasy Ones?

Cause that's what I have

DMG
12-07-2008, 09:48
The fantasy ones are heavy card, where these are 2mm thick plastic.

ctsteel
12-07-2008, 09:57
If you haven't seen it yet - pic of sprue here:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99220199039&orignav=10

Plastic Rat
12-07-2008, 12:43
Wound Counters: These are a bunch of little skulls. They were a bit fiddly to use, so I'll be sticking with my magnetised headstone markers...

Eh what? This sounds interesting. What are magnetized headstone markers and where did you get them or how did you make them?

Fay_Redd
12-07-2008, 13:02
i whole heartedly agree, they are a bit of a beeyatch to cut out and trim out, but overall they are nice additions to the accessories range for 40k, that quite a good idea OP i think ill go about painting them a bit to show whats what. overall deffinetly worth a purchase people, specially if your prone to forgetting what is doing what.

Templar Ben
12-07-2008, 13:26
Gale Force 9 will undoubtedly put out a counter set soon as well. I do not care for the counters due to the fiddley nature of many of the pieces. The card counters from Fantasy are easier to read (being full color) and are durable. My only complaint is with the turn marker.

DMG
12-07-2008, 14:29
Eh what? This sounds interesting. What are magnetized headstone markers and where did you get them or how did you make them?

I cast resin headstone pieces from the Hirst Arts Graveyard mold & added rare earth magnets to them. Then glue a rare earth magnet under the characters base & presto! Headstones that stand up on the bases!

Plastic Rat
12-07-2008, 15:55
I cast resin headstone pieces from the Hirst Arts Graveyard mold & added rare earth magnets to them. Then glue a rare earth magnet under the characters base & presto! Headstones that stand up on the bases!

I DEMAND PICTURES! Photos! Some form of this miracle reproduced on my computer screen in two dimensions! I demand this now or I will be displeased!

Show me pics or I'll cut myself...

Rod Hull
13-07-2008, 02:45
I love that headstone idea. I may even steal it. Yoink !

ehlijen
13-07-2008, 07:44
Things I like about them:
The skulls are cool, and, if you've got a better wound counting method already, can be used to add detail to vehicles or the like.
The objectives are nice. They stand out, they look like objectives, not like simple counters and once again, can be used for other things if you want to.
The turn counter and the moon. Great idea! No more forgetting when night fight kicks in. Has some drawbacks though.

What I don't care about:
Damage markers, run markers, rapid fire markers and flee markers...We've never needed them before. In larger games you might need them, but then you won't have enough in one set.
The clear plastic. I stands out nicely, but I can't see paint sticking to it too well. It will also snap under pressure (which is more a problem for the flamer template if anything, so I don't count it as a drawback).

What I don't like:
You hardly get enough markers for everything. Especially the rapid fire markers.
The turn counter, while looking nice, is hard to read and to keep together.

All in all, I just slightly don't like it enough to actually get my own set :(

yodasluck
26-07-2008, 07:44
I recently got my order of the counter set. What was the best method that people used to cut and trim the pieces? I've used my exacto knife and a dremel, and neither method seemed ideal. Any advice would be nice. Thanks.

Voleron
26-07-2008, 08:25
Basic clippers might work well. I've found they're better than using cutting knives on sprue of any kind, really.

Takitron
26-07-2008, 08:56
Basic clippers might work well. I've found they're better than using cutting knives on sprue of any kind, really.

Indeed. Im surprised more people dont use cutters.

Gale Force 9 will undoubtedly put out a counter set soon as well. I do not care for the counters due to the fiddley nature of many of the pieces. The card counters from Fantasy are easier to read (being full color) and are durable. My only complaint is with the turn marker.

gf9 has three different sets of counters on the market already, and like 7 turn counters....

Marlow
26-07-2008, 09:46
They look useful. Might get soom

N0-1_H3r3
26-07-2008, 11:26
It's still tough going on the plastic these use - I clipped apart one sprue of mine for the 5th edition release night festivities at my local GW ("farewell to 4th" apocalypse game, using 4th edition rules and then changing to 5th as soon as it hits midnight), and I still had little splinters of green plastic flying everywhere...