PDA

View Full Version : Heaven always beats me... so i'm gonna start using it!

TroyJPerez
12-07-2008, 08:43
I've been losing a lot recently to magic with my chaos army. The heaven sphere of magic is the best long ranged school in the game. And a lot of my forces are constantly getting cut down by comets and lightning bolts before they even see combat. So I've been thinking of taking heavens with a sorcerer of tzeentch in my army so I can shoot back. My theory is that most shooty armies are low toughness and will take way more casualties from me dropping comets on them then my toughness 4 chaos will. Anyone have any opinions on if this tactic will work or not. I really hate resorting to magic but a lot of the people in my group run shooty armies and it takes a lot of the fun out of the game when your a heavy infantry army.

Arguleon-veq
12-07-2008, 17:54
Heavens is probably the worst lore on the game, you shouldn't be getting smashed that bad by Comet all the time with an aggressive army like Chaos as you will be on the move.

I wouldn't seriously change your game to combat it. Take some mage hunters and strengthen your magic defense dont let it change your game or alter the army builds you like to use.

Shamfrit
12-07-2008, 18:50
LOS Spells, in my opinion shouldn't exist.

They might only be what, Str 3/4, but - the stronger of the two missiles ignores armour saves, that's 1-2 Knights on average, which is alot considering it's 2-3 times per turn...

But Arguleon is right, change your army, not lores.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
14-07-2008, 23:10
I dont think badly about heavens i have seen a silly skink priest own with it in 1000pts. But the comet isnt that good admittedly;too hard to get off.

minionboy
15-07-2008, 00:10
Well, the problem I see with heavens is that it takes a level 4 wizard to reliably get either of the magic missiles.

1 - Portent - Not amazing, kind of lack lustre.
2 - Second Sign - Re-rolls only last for your current turn, and only on hit/wound and saves, since you only get D3 and the limited uses, it's okay, but still not blowing people away.
3 - Celestial Shield - good against ranged armies, but it ties up your caster.
4-5 - AMAZING
6 - Comet - Good if your enemy doesn't dispel it. Since the enemy can dispel it in their own turn with magic dice, as well as dispel dice, it's not as good as it was. Oh and being Remains in Play now ties up your caster until it finally lands... Very annoying on a Level 4.

Overall, I wouldn't say it's a bad lore, but definitely fighting with Life and Beasts for usability.