PDA

View Full Version : Leman Russ side sponson and realism

pol
12-07-2008, 17:03
Have you ever noticed that the leman russ (demolisher too) side sponson can only move up to 90 degree? In the rule book, they say that side sponson can fire a bit more that 180 degree but the Leman russ one block at 90 degree. Since there is no book who say that Leman russ side sponson are limited to 90 degree, me and friend say it can fire like normal tank (180).

I just wanted to know if you limit the firing angle of the leman russ to 90 or 180 degree. I don't if this thread is in the right section, if not sorry!

gamer2456
12-07-2008, 17:28
read the 5th edition rule book, its only 90 degrees. they specifically mention the leman's sponsons

Sanctjud
12-07-2008, 18:48
Realism and GW do not go together in the same sentance.

The 5th ed. rule book is clear on the Leman Russ Side Sponson Arc, page 59.

My 7 Cents.

Wraithian
12-07-2008, 19:19
Page 59, upper right corner, 40K 5th edition rule book.

Lord Damocles
12-07-2008, 19:26
I would have thought that the size of the Battlle Cannon was more of a realism issue...

Royal Tiger
12-07-2008, 19:28
I would have thought that the size of the Battlle Cannon was more of a realism issue...
and the height....and length....and width....and....screw it, I could go on all day:p

PaRaSiTe_X92
12-07-2008, 19:30
Yeah, it's a bit small isn't it? :p

leo_neil316
12-07-2008, 20:46
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The 40k leman russ model is heroic scale.

Remember the old ogryns? Those were heroic scale too.

For proper scale russes take a look at the epic ones. The weapons are more sensibly sized and the tank is a bit flatter and wider.

They basically look like slimmed down badass versions of leman russ. And leman russ already look badass.

Also, turrets fire in a 90 degree arc. They only need to after all. Kill whats infront of you, thats how russes work.

Hicks
12-07-2008, 21:05
I never liked sponsons, because you can't fire them while moving, but now with 5th edition they become ridiculously bad. It sucks because I think they look pretty cool, but there is no way I'm ever putting some on my tanks.

MegaPope
12-07-2008, 21:42
The Leman looks much better with the broader, flatter FW Gryphonne IV turrets fitted to it, even if you're not using the Mars Alpha pattern hull (which also makes the rest of the tank look more in scale).

I remember when FW adjusted the Conqueror's stats to the single shot blast autocannon. Quite a few people in my area had bought Conqueror turrets when the gun had that mobile marine-killer statline (S6 AP3 Ordnance/5" blast). All of a sudden they couldn't sell them to me fast enough;). I sawed off the barrel tips and replaced them with the standard placcy BC barrels.

The_Outsider
12-07-2008, 21:49
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The 40k leman russ model is heroic scale.

Not to mention the good old russ is actually an agriculture tracter with guns monted to it.

The Guy
12-07-2008, 22:10
I use a lascannon for mine :p

And the fact that while one sponson is blazing away at an enemy, the other just sits there twiddling it's thumbs.

There are much more problems with Leman Russes then the sponson arcs ;)

Sir_Turalyon
12-07-2008, 22:14
Last I checked it was Rhino that was developed from tractor...

I never liked sponsons, because you can't fire them while moving, but now with 5th edition they become ridiculously bad. It sucks because I think they look pretty cool, but there is no way I'm ever putting some on my tanks.

They are not for shooting, they are cheap (10 points?) way of making your Russ survive two more weapon destroyed / immobile results before geting wrecked. At least they were when Russ was worth victory points you might want to deny your opponent...

Unless i missed something in the rulebook, battle cannon can now be fired with no penalities while moving, so we may see russes eighter moving and firing battlecannon, or standing still and firing all hull / sponson / pintle weapons. Quite opposite of how they worked in 3rd edition...

MrBigMr
12-07-2008, 23:14
What if one has converted his Russ with predator sponsons? How does that work then?

Sanctjud
13-07-2008, 04:20
You only get 90 degrees as per the rulebook... they even have a picture there....

Any other tank prob. has some leeway... but they should take the original model as a standard of what the arc should be...

It shouldn't be a huge problem, just work it out before the game.

My 7 Cents.

ehlijen
13-07-2008, 05:20
If you think that being able to fire sponsons rearward in a game where you can get free turns anyway (yay new shooting rules) is such a great advantage that you remodel your tank for that, sure, have it :)

If, like a more sane person, you converted the model because it'd look cool that way (more likely I'd hope), double sure!

Meanwhile, I will enjoy shooting your tank into the rear armour you've just presented me with the survivors of that squad (two HB sponsons are going to leave survivors).

DaHedd
13-07-2008, 10:41
I sawed off the barrel tips and replaced them with the standard placcy BC barrels.

dammit i thought i was unique :cries:

Remoah
13-07-2008, 15:57
Hate these new rules.
Seems every new update digs a deeper and deeper pit for the imperial guard.

Cypher
13-07-2008, 17:16
Also, turrets fire in a 90 degree arc. They only need to after all. Kill whats infront of you, thats how russes work.
Turrets have a 360 degree arc of fire. They wouldnt be turrets otherwise.

As noted, all fire arcs are determined by the model and how far the weapon can move. In the case of the Russ, the Sponsons have a fire arc of approximately 90 degrees.

WLBjork
13-07-2008, 17:46
Last I checked it was Rhino that was developed from tractor...

And I remember it being Land Raider.

Indeed, I remember it being specified that even the Eldar used the tractor from which the Land Raider was developed.

Loki73
13-07-2008, 17:55
never liked sponsons, because you can't fire them while moving, but now with 5th edition they become ridiculously bad. It sucks because I think they look pretty cool, but there is no way I'm ever putting some on my tanks.

Sad really. What if your BC gets blown off? What if that squad in front of you just got wiped out in CC? I think you'd be to close for the BC. Have 9 S5 ap4 shots! Even more with a Heavy stubb. All for 15 points. Not bad really(excluding the HS).

And when the guard book arrives, who knows what will change.

The Clairvoyant
13-07-2008, 18:10
i remember the old land raider with its supposed 180 fire arc. You could position the guns to fire in any direction unless it was anything near 90 degrees straight :D
Mind you, the vehicle modification rules in Dark Millenium meant i tended to take land raiders with no guns at all for 4 points (220pts -180 for the lascannons, -30 for the heavy bolters and -6 for the targeters).

Yes it was 'cheesy' as you warseerers like to call things but we were 14 so it was allowed.

Snorphel
13-07-2008, 22:19
i remember the old land raider with its supposed 180 fire arc. You could position the guns to fire in any direction unless it was anything near 90 degrees straight :D
Mind you, the vehicle modification rules in Dark Millenium meant i tended to take land raiders with no guns at all for 4 points (220pts -180 for the lascannons, -30 for the heavy bolters and -6 for the targeters).

Yes it was 'cheesy' as you warseerers like to call things but we were 14 so it was allowed.

Hmmmm - 4 points... then you could take 25 of them and tank shock and ram the hell out ouf your opponent...

But the 90 degree sponson arc is not so bad for the leman russ - unless you want to have the rear armour face the opponents that you fire at.

The Clairvoyant
14-07-2008, 00:13
Hmmmm - 4 points... then you could take 25 of them and tank shock and ram the hell out ouf your opponent...

But the 90 degree sponson arc is not so bad for the leman russ - unless you want to have the rear armour face the opponents that you fire at.

i haven't played 40k since 2nd ed and i just got the new rulebook last week. I haven't got to 'tank shock' yet, though i do remember ramming as a solid tactic in 2nd ed (especially with weaponless land raiders!)