PDA

View Full Version : fear vs failed charge

Captain Keen
12-07-2008, 17:02
hello's, me again with another silly q...

page 50: fear...what happens if I fail my fear-check but my unit Strenght is higher then the fear causers? I mean does the 6's to hit still apply when he doesn't reach me and charges me in his next round too? It will then still be the first turn of combat, and the units are the same. And what if I pass the next fear test when he charges me the second turn? does the 6's to hit still apply? units are the same, and this rule says nothing about 6's rule being gone if the charge fails. Far-fatched, but I'm dealing with vampires here, :eek:

Festus
12-07-2008, 17:09
Hi

You only take the fear test if the charging unit is found to be in range - if it cannot charge you, you will not test for fear.

BRB, p.50, left column

Festus

TheWarSmith
13-07-2008, 03:02
Festus is correct. The first fear test never would have been rolled.

Tarax
13-07-2008, 07:05
page 50: fear...what happens if I fail my fear-check but my unit Strenght is higher then the fear causers? I mean does the 6's to hit still apply when he doesn't reach me and charges me in his next round too? It will then still be the first turn of combat, and the units are the same. And what if I pass the next fear test when he charges me the second turn? does the 6's to hit still apply? units are the same, and this rule says nothing about 6's rule being gone if the charge fails.

You have kind of answered your own question here already. You take a new Fear test, so any test taken previously is ignored.

BTW, this situation works only if later on in the game you get charged again by the same unit, after losing the first combat.

Otherwise it's as Festus said.

Captain Keen
13-07-2008, 20:10
hmm.. I was reading the rules my own nooby way. I thought that it meant charge distance from the unit that was being charged. So walking few inches with the zombies, then they get into the charge distance measured from the empire unit, and then the empire unit must do the fear-check. It works slightly different I see. Ok, thanks. I see the possible irrelivance of this q now. (I thought vamp's could fear me without being able to make it all the way with their charge move, just by entering the zone which would quallify as being the charge range measured from the empire dudes.)

lparigi34
14-07-2008, 18:27
Just to confirm, it goes like this?

Charging units must test for Fear or Terror in the Moving Chargers subphase, when it is their turn to move. Check before measuring range (but after charge responses declaration?*) Result is applied even if out of range.

(*Should I check fear to go after a unit that declared flee against a charge reaction?)

Charged units must test for Fear or Terror in the Moving Chargers subphase, when units charging it move. Check after measuring range for possible failed charges (and therefore after charge reactions are declared).

Answers much appreciatted.

Loopstah
14-07-2008, 18:43
Just to confirm, it goes like this?

Charging units must test for Fear or Terror in the Moving Chargers subphase, when it is their turn to move. Check before measuring range (but after charge responses declaration?*) Result is applied even if out of range.

(*Should I check fear to go after a unit that declared flee against a charge reaction?)

Not quite. You check for Fear in the Declaring charges sub phase before declaring the charge against the Fear causing unit. If you fail the test you can't declare a charge on the Fear causing unit, if you pass you can declare the charge as normal.

Charged units must test for Fear or Terror in the Moving Chargers subphase, when units charging it move. Check after measuring range for possible failed charges (and therefore after charge reactions are declared).

Correct. You only test for Fear when it has been checked that the charge is in range, if you pass you can react as normal, if you fail your reaction depends on the relative unit strengths.

lparigi34
14-07-2008, 19:58
Not quite. You check for Fear in the Declaring charges sub phase before declaring the charge against the Fear causing unit. If you fail the test you can't declare a charge on the Fear causing unit, if you pass you can declare the charge as normal...

Thanks Loopstah!

This is so important, therefore no need to declare charge reactions against the chargers that fail their fear/terror test.

Festus
14-07-2008, 20:34
Hi

Not quite. You check for Fear in the Declaring charges sub phase before declaring the charge against the Fear causing unit. If you fail the test you count as having had a failed charge and may not do anything else in your turn, if you pass you can declare the charge as normal.
I fixed the post ;)

cf BRB p. 50

Greetings
Festus

Captain Keen
14-07-2008, 21:49
Hmmm... my silly questions may result in some interesting and important answers that clarify the rules a bit I see. I think I may have more of those in my bag of noobing...

Captain Keen
14-07-2008, 21:56
btw..I always post on multiple sites, so I can compare answers, and sometimes I post at unholy hours,lol.

http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23732.new;topicseen

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13411

ghoust
29-10-2008, 21:33
I have a question regarding the execution order. On page 51. for terror (fear is the same wording) it is stated that: First declare the unit's intended charge reaction, then test AS SOON AS the Terror-causing UNIT IS DETERMINED TO BE WITHIN CHARGE RANGE.

On page 19 Stand & Shoot it is said:
This shooting is worked out just BEFORE MOVING CHARGERS

And on page 20 move chargers:
Remember to resolve any stand & shoot reaction that has been declared against the chargers at this stage, BEFORE MEASURING if the chargers have..

From what I read this would mean the following order:
declare charge
declare response (assume STS as it is the reaction causing questions)
work out response
if still alive move chargers (measure to see if in charge reach, if so cause fear/terror test, ev. flee charged unit, move chargers)

So what do you say to this rule interpretation?

Captain Keen
04-11-2008, 09:37
wow...that's great. I thought fear test before shooting, but this is better!

Atrahasis
04-11-2008, 09:42
The FAQ changes the sequence.

Fear and Terror tests are taken just before compulsory moves, and if you fail when outnumbered (or fail Terror) then your reaction changes to flee and you no longer stand and shoot. If you are not outnumbered by a fear causer, the fear test makes no difference to your stand and shoot.