PDA

View Full Version : 40k movie?

shin'keiro
13-07-2008, 00:41
Heres a movie thats very 40k.. with massive warmachines controlled by corporations fighting for control over oil, coal etc - its based on the 28mm tabletop game

Warzone: Mutant Chronicles.

http://www.mutantchroniclesthemovie.com/

Why can't GW get this sort of thing in the pipeline!!? This movie is like '300' in the way it has a small cast with alot of CGI.

gamer2456
13-07-2008, 01:03
one day when Hollywood runs out of ideas....o wait, nm.

I'm sure if a studio were to see the potential they'd pick up on it, might be quite some time though.

Slaaneshi Slave
13-07-2008, 01:17
There is a 40k movie - Damnatus - but GW will not allow it to be released.

Avenger2040
13-07-2008, 01:47
A Official movie, Donīt think so, like Slaaneshi Slave said, there is a movie already but GW donīt make it official and donīt let it be released.

A true shame.

alexon47
13-07-2008, 01:53
as long as uwe boll isnt directing im going to throw my support, also there is a 40k movie, go look it up on youtube

Warp Zero
13-07-2008, 01:54
There is a 40k movie - Damnatus - but GW will not allow it to be released.

Meh, I don't count that as a movie. Just another internet fan film. I appreciate the hard work they put into it, but in the end, its just a fan film.

As far as a big studio effort from Hollywood. You never know. Maybe. Depends on who is doing the pitching, who is doing the listening, who is taking the meetings. And in the end, who ends up writing and directing it.

Like any piece of fan property, could turn out cool....or could turn out really bad. ;)

as long as uwe boll isnt directing im going to throw my support, also there is a 40K movie, go look it up on youtube

Let me add some more names to that "please don't let them direct it" list:

Michael Bay
Mc Gee
Tim Story
Mark Steven Johnson
anyone from those Luc Besson produced action movies

Slaaneshi Slave
13-07-2008, 01:54
I don't understand why GW don't buy the Damnatus movie from the crew for 50 pence, thus ensuring they cannot claim any intellectual property rights. They could then charge the crew 50 pence for the pleasure of releasing it (for GW, of course).

I doubt Damnatus is any worse than tripe like Starship Troopers 2.

nurgle_boy
13-07-2008, 02:20
I don't understand why GW don't buy the Damnatus movie from the crew for 50 pence, thus ensuring they cannot claim any intellectual property rights. They could then charge the crew 50 pence for the pleasure of releasing it (for GW, of course).

I doubt Damnatus is any worse than tripe...

I wonder why you cut off your last sentence halfway there? It was as though something NEVER EXISTED there :p

It could be a very cool thing to do, and this discussion resurfaces from time to time, but eventually there are always problems pointed out, and inevitably, if one were made, there would be some unhappy people...

more than likely [/pessimist] it would either be wrong going by background, or it would be simply badly done...

SirSnipes
13-07-2008, 02:25
GW has made it VERY clear that they will not allow a movie to be made, as seen in many threads all over the net

Vic
13-07-2008, 02:30
I got the Ultramarines Omnibus while on vacation, and am now reading "Warriors of Ultrimar". Aside from a few passages lifted directly from the movie "Aliens", it's been a pretty good read and I think it would make an excellent treatment with a little touch up. Now if only an agent were to pick up on this.....

Rod Hull
13-07-2008, 02:30
I would love to see a 40k movies.

EightBall
13-07-2008, 02:52
Wow seriously I just sat through the Damnatus "movie" on YouTube. It started out pretty well, with a cool intro, the "making of a Space Marine" was probably the best part, with amazing CG. I can't take it seriously, but I guess I could try and say better luck next time.
So I know most of it was footage from Starship Troopers, Halo, Starcraft, but what was everything else? Was all the "real" 40k CGI from Dawn of War? Was the Tau bit from Firewarrior? And where did those live action bits come from?

Either way, the plot is bad. I can't take it seriously. So the Tyranid force is following the Astronomican to Holy Terra? So the Inquisition's solution is to disable the Astronomican, but when it doesn't work, they decide to just fire cleanse the whole planet? Why does Khorne stick his head out of the warp rift, and why does he take the form of a Juggurnaut?

Well regardless I just want to know where they got all the live-actions stuff from. It looks like a cutscene you'd find on the Sega Saturn or one of those other "live-action" cutscene games.

I think if GW really put their minds to it they could make a halfway decent feature film. They do good with the cut-scenes from their games. I mean movies based on games usually never go over extremely well, but hey D&D did it.

KYTEMPLAR
13-07-2008, 03:43
I remember seeing some photos in Inferno magazine of a couple of actors wearing Space Wolf armor.Actually,if I remember correctly, it was intended as possibly a mini-series on BBC.I don't believe that it was ever finished because I don't remember seeing anything on it anywhere else.Perhaps it was released but only overseas.

BigEaZyE
13-07-2008, 04:51
There used to be a Blood Angels movie in development, all CGI... Can't remember the name though... it got scrapped a while back

Super Ninja
13-07-2008, 05:18
If you watch one of the production diaries on the Mutant Chronicles website (number 6) they call the mutated weapon-arms "Baneblades". Take that as you will...

EDIT: Never mind. I looked at they synopsis; theyre called "boneblades". I also watched the mood teaser. frigin amazing.

grumpy old gamer
13-07-2008, 07:54
There are a few films on You Tube - unfortunately they all have teenager metal blaring all over them so you can't concentrate on the actual movie. They could be quite fun but they all have the feel of a sixth form project done by some very able people, but still a sixth form project after all.
I am definately not knocking the attempts, far better than I could ever organise but they lack the quality of the proper thing.
Still GW seem to be missing a trick, especially with the recent surge in graphic novel ( see too old to say comic) adaptation and the success of LOTR.
Still they are not an overly large company and it could be that the multi-million pound gamble is probably too steep. They would have to sell the whole background etc to a production company and there by give away a lot of control over the final product. And considering they have only one product ( ie the GW brand) they have too much to lose. Also GW fans are known for their deep love (obsession) and so would probably slate what ever they produced and the negative feedback would leach into the gen pop and impact on the sales.
Still we can but live in hope - but see what hope did to Lucas!

Marshal Argos
13-07-2008, 08:15
Wow seriously I just sat through the Damnatus "movie" on YouTube. It started out pretty well, with a cool intro, the "making of a Space Marine" was probably the best part, with amazing CG. I can't take it seriously, but I guess I could try and say better luck next time.
So I know most of it was footage from Starship Troopers, Halo, Starcraft, but what was everything else? Was all the "real" 40k CGI from Dawn of War? Was the Tau bit from Firewarrior? And where did those live action bits come from?

Either way, the plot is bad. I can't take it seriously. So the Tyranid force is following the Astronomican to Holy Terra? So the Inquisition's solution is to disable the Astronomican, but when it doesn't work, they decide to just fire cleanse the whole planet? Why does Khorne stick his head out of the warp rift, and why does he take the form of a Juggurnaut?

Well regardless I just want to know where they got all the live-actions stuff from. It looks like a cutscene you'd find on the Sega Saturn or one of those other "live-action" cutscene games.

I think if GW really put their minds to it they could make a halfway decent feature film. They do good with the cut-scenes from their games. I mean movies based on games usually never go over extremely well, but hey D&D did it.

Ummm... Damnatus isn't on Youtube. Maybe only the preview is there but not the whole movie, (the real movie is around an 1 hour 30 minutes long.

borithan
13-07-2008, 11:03
I remember seeing some photos in Inferno magazine of a couple of actors wearing Space Wolf armor.Actually,if I remember correctly, it was intended as possibly a mini-series on BBC.I don't believe that it was ever finished because I don't remember seeing anything on it anywhere else.Perhaps it was released but only overseas.
The BBC doing a mini-series based on 40k:eyebrows:? Has to be one of the most unlikely things I have ever heard. Far to dark for the BBC.

Heard a couple of rumours about films of 40... these are rumours so don't know if they are true, or if they even have any basis in fact:

Many of the GW people say they really like whatever than fan made film is, but to protect their intellectual; property they cannot allow it to be released. Something to do with the law in Germany (where it was made, if any of this is true), as there anything that is made by a person (or group of people) is their intellectual property, regardless of the fact that it may be based on another company/person's ideas. If they allowed it to be released they would lose total control of their universe, and any rights to make films/related merchandise, throwing it open to anyone to steal their ideas.

There have been several approaches to GW to make a film, but none of the suggested deals have worked out, as they do not give GW enough control over what is in the film/what would be done with the brand afterwards. One approach I have heard of included Stephen Spielberg offering himself as director... frankly that last part just seems daft, so one of the reasons I really doubt it, but who knows... rumours regarding the BBC doing a miniseries are even more off the wall, so I may be wrong.

shin'keiro
13-07-2008, 13:14
The BBC doing a mini-series based on 40k? Has to be one of the most unlikely things I have ever heard. Far to dark for the BBC.

You havn't seen 'ROME' then.. a BBC series spanning 22 episodes... now that's dark!.. lots of blood, prostitution, gay sex, murder, orgies, wars, crucifixions, and more blood! It stars Ray Stevenson (the new Punisher) along with ALOT of other British Actors.

TheDarkFlame
13-07-2008, 15:13
lots of blood, prostitution, gay sex, murder, orgies, wars, crucifixions, and more blood!

Sounds like something most kids would enjoy.

Meleemadness
13-07-2008, 15:48
A 40K movie would be incredible!! If there was a 40K movie it would more than likely focus on the SM's, more than likely the Ultra Marines....it would be best to start with the emperor and the creation of his primarchs though.

ZiggyTempest
13-07-2008, 15:50
Sounds like something most kids would enjoy.

Only the gay ones...

Demrush
13-07-2008, 15:51
In theory, a 40k movie would be an awesome idea but in the real world we live in, the probability of total utter failure is much higher.

40k is such a vast and expanded universe that a movie really can't capture any of its "greatness". And besides, to truly make a good 40k movie you would have to use CGI all the way (one thing I really hate seeing is the fan movies with these bald, short and very ordinary men acting as though they were super human space marines...that just doesn't fit) and this would shoot up production costs incrementally. Also, another major problem is that all of us 40k fans have our own perspective of the 40k universe and GW likes it that way...the fluff is the foundation of this universe but what books allow you to do it use your own imagination to fill in gaps, movies unfortunately can't really do this.

However, don't get me wrong...like I said, a movie would be awesome but if GW were to invest in such an undertaking, I would call it would be a rather risky business statement from their part :p...

LordFulgrim
13-07-2008, 15:54
In theory, a 40k movie would be an awesome idea but in the real world we live in, the probability of total utter failure is much higher.

QFT!
If and I mean IF they'd ever do it I hope they'll go for a full CG-flick because the thought of Vin Diesel in power armour really, seriously upsets me and would scar many innocent souls.

baphomael
13-07-2008, 16:03
Heres a movie thats very 40k.. with massive warmachines controlled by corporations fighting for control over oil, coal etc - its based on the 28mm tabletop game

Warzone: Mutant Chronicles.

http://www.mutantchroniclesthemovie.com/

Why can't GW get this sort of thing in the pipeline!!? This movie is like '300' in the way it has a small cast with alot of CGI.

Ah yea, I remember Warzone. It was obviously *highly* inspired by 40k. I really liked warzone...but I think this film is going to make me cry, given they've hacked up the fluff a little bit.

Promethius
13-07-2008, 16:15
The problem with a 40k movie is that a mainstream audience doesn't want a futuristic war film. The reason why LOTR was popular, imo, is that it is essentially an action/adventure thing at heart, with battles. It's about a few well-rounded characters and their quest. A 40k movie would be cool, but would probably only appeal to geeks and teenage boys. Just look at the declining profitability of the alien franchise.

Having said that, a film version of Caves of Ice would be interesting. A main character who hates the nightmare future, an even mix of male/female characters, and a story with battles in but mostly small scale skirmishes. Potentially therefore not that expensive. Set in a mine: lot of potential for shocks/jumpy moments. You could even (through flashbacks) feature space marines by adding in a scene where Cain thinks of his last encounter with the necrons.

ZiggyTempest
13-07-2008, 16:18
A film about space marines wouldn't be interesting at all. If they made a film it should stay away from all of the big events and just focus on a normal human caught up in a galaxy of warfare.

Overt_Spy
13-07-2008, 17:02
If done properly, a 40K movie could be inter-spectacular (like rap battles in 3030), however the key word is "If" and "properly." For me, I love the Warhammer universes too much to see them get poorly translated into celluloid.

If ever a 40K movie is green lighted I'd (unfortunately) expect it's synopsis to go something like this: Tom (played by Vin Diesel) is a space marine on the edge. After loosing his whole family to a gang of tyranid aliens, Tom is out for alien blood. After getting kicked off the Space marine force, Tom has nothing to lose. He sets out on a suicide mission armed only with two heavy bolters and a mind hell bent on vengeance!

No... I'd rather keep 40K on the table top where it belongs.

emperorpenguin
13-07-2008, 17:28
Let me add some more names to that "please don't let them direct it" list:

Michael Bay
Mc Gee
Tim Story
Mark Steven Johnson
anyone from those Luc Besson produced action movies

or M Night Shymalan. We'd end up with the twist at the end being the entire 40K universe is inside some rich guy's woodland retreat in Pennsylvania......

There used to be a Blood Angels movie in development, all CGI... Can't remember the name though... it got scrapped a while back

Bloodquest

A properly scripted (ie plot driven movie, not an action fest) of the Horus Heresy would be amazing.

Lame Duck
13-07-2008, 19:06
I definately wouldn't be in favour of a full blown film. Short (5min?) action/battlescenes would be cool to watch though.

EightBall
14-07-2008, 06:44
Ummm... Damnatus isn't on Youtube. Maybe only the preview is there but not the whole movie, (the real movie is around an 1 hour 30 minutes long.

Hmmm alright. That might explain the open ends! I was told to search it on YoutTube and I figured a movie of 4 parts result was it. Is the rest of the film pretty much what I did see on youtube? Is there a place where I could find the full film?

Anyway, I'm thinking the "movie" idea would never really go over very well. I think the perfect solution is, in fact, to do a BBC miniseries! We know that it will be mediocre and fairly dull, but it will give viewers (and us fans) the satisfaction of seeing 40k in film, they would have plenty of time to flesh out the relevant background. They could focus on a single squad of marines, guard, or an Inquisitor retinue, much like Band of Brothers. And in the same way, to have them be just a small story in a fast intergalactic conflict. Well if BBC and GW will do it, I will wait patiently for it to reach the States.

Oh and by the way I'm not really being serious. I know it's never going to happen...unless...

Marshal Argos
14-07-2008, 07:03
Here's the link to their site, the trailer is about all you can see because GW banned the finished version from ever seeing the light of day.

http://www.damnatus.com/seite.php?file=film (http://www.damnatus.com/seite.php?file=film)

This link is the same trailer on Youtube, there is only 1 part, not 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77TpMvRZ_LQ

Wolfblade670
14-07-2008, 07:18
There was a 40k movie, by Holy GW themselves!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFrdBubVT78&feature=related

(Careful, if you thought ST2 was bad, brace yourself...)

Oh and KYTemplar, this is what thou dost seek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0XNf0G5ugs&feature=related

Again from GW themselves. I love the Termi armour, but, the genestealers...ugh.

As much as I would love to see 40k come to life on the silver screen, ultimatly I would vote against it. Hollywood has f-ed up far too many of my favourite franchises for me to even think about them making a 40k film. As I've often said, the British could cast it right and give it the proper feel, but don't have the budget. Hollywood has the budget, but absolutly no talent to speak of.

40k is ultimatley a child of the 1980's. Films like the original Terminator who also found their forte in that decade, have suffered greatly when tailored for a 21st century audience. I always felt the bleak, horriffic vision that Terminator painted with it's future flashbacks reaked of Warhammer 40,000 ambience. But modern taste, and most importantly, fears, are different now. Post-nuclear dystopia and Alien horrors just don't scare us anymore. Great works of pop science fiction adapted for film such as Starship Troopers and Judge Dredd had to be watered down to the point of being unrecognisible parody to even begin to palatable to a modern audience. They were a product of their times. 40k will suffer no differently.

Ghost Of Caliban
14-07-2008, 07:44
Would have to be a human centric story so around the heresy as there were plenty of humans about or a planet caught in the middle of a black crusade or hive fleet where space marines would be called in but not the main focus.
I could watch an entire movie with SM in it but i don't think most movie goers would.
I would probably prefer to see it made in england and GW being the mulitnational they are could probably finance it themselves...i honestly think i'd prefer a heresy series for DVD or something...

Ronin_eX
14-07-2008, 07:45
Ah yea, I remember Warzone. It was obviously *highly* inspired by 40k. I really liked warzone...but I think this film is going to make me cry, given they've hacked up the fluff a little bit.

Actually, to be a Mutant Chronicles fanboy pedant it was based on an old game called Mutant published back in 1984 (Rogue Trader was published in 1987) which later evolved into the Mutant Chronicles setting by about 1993 which then became the game Mutant Chronicles: Warzone.

The setting was, if anything, mostly inspired by 2000AD comics from which GW cribbed a lot of their setting feel (as they once published a Judge Dredd TTG). The overall feel of both settings borrows heavilly from that gritty and dark techno-fantasy feel evoked in a lot of 2000AD comics. Things like Rogue Trooper, Judge Dredd and Heavy Metal as well as many others play into both settings.

The difference lies in how they both approached this. GW created a grim and gritty epic space opera that took a lot of literary and biblical inspiration where Mutant Chronicles went for a pulpy and brutal anachronistic sci-fi setting that meshed pulp, occultism, steam and cyberpunk into a film noir setting that mirrored WWI and WWII stylings (but with zombies!).

As for the film it looks good but it is not the Mutant Chronicles I know and love. A lot of big differences (like the Dark Apostles seemingly coming from the depths of the Earth instead of an alternate dimension opened up by foolish explorers investigating ancient ruins on Pluto and Nero) that change it quite a bit but if I take it as a movie that shares only the name then I think it will rock on toast. It has Ron Perlman in it after all and he rocks and rocks hard. :D

/Warzone fanboy/pedant deactivate ;)

warsmithferrousmaximus
14-07-2008, 09:34
Lets face it they have plenty of inspiration to draw from with the rule book alone, not to mention the thousands of books and articles! Just a thought though, would it not make more sense to either do a film based on the Horus Heresy or at least show the final battle between Horus and the Emperor at the beginning to give non 40k fans something to get thier teeth into early on?

IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT:skull:

borithan
14-07-2008, 21:13
You havn't seen 'ROME' then.. a BBC series spanning 22 episodes... now that's dark!.. lots of blood, prostitution, gay sex, murder, orgies, wars, crucifixions, and more blood! It stars Ray Stevenson (the new Punisher) along with ALOT of other British Actors.
Well... 1) I think it was made in co-operation with an American channel. HBO I think. 2) Still dark in a different way. Can't quite put my finger on what at the moment.

And they would not be the best people to do it at all. Almost every drama on the BBC has a certain political slant. The whole thing about the BBC news spurting the propaganda of the liberal left is a lie, but it is not a lie in the case of BBC drama. I may personally agree with the slant, but 1) it sometimes just gets cringe worthy (see Spooks. Still like it, but it has its really "WHY?" moments), and 2) would not fit with doing anything to do with 40k.

And even though I have only seen 20 seconds of one of those videos... weird. Actually feel that some aspects of it were not badly done (the Terminator armour for one, even though it totally lacked any feeling of mass to it), visually at least, but awful acting, and there were other elements which were awful. When on earth were they made?

And why in the list of related films is there one called "Britney Spears Death Metal"?

alexon47
14-07-2008, 22:04
because britney is a fan of heavy metal terminators?

Eryx_UK
15-07-2008, 01:31
I doubt we'll ever see a real 40K movie unfortunately. Theres been rumours of one since the days of Rogue Trader and nothing has ever surfaced.

StormWulfen
15-07-2008, 07:42
just watched that movie and it is very badly done for one thing why was the space marine captain shorter than the inquisitor and he had no backback

though i will credit the power armour it was very well done especially on the tactical marines:chrome:

WallWeasels
15-07-2008, 08:19
a 40k tv show would end up being battlestar galactica with alot less, well, drama :x
Well, and excuses to say "frack"

TimLeeson
15-07-2008, 08:26
I strongly dislike modern sci-fi shows and especially sci-fi films. I'd be against it personally. Also, they'd never use the full potential of the 40k backround and it would be just dumbed-down and emo-ised - id rather not have anything at all than something mediocre. They -could- do an amazing 40k series or film but I doubt they'd do well commercially at all and in this world thats all that counts when it comes to big corps/industries.

So, in conclusion - I'd rather leave it to my imagination than have another dissapointment to sit-through, iv already suffered enough of those. And besides, even sci-fi coming out of England is pretty much hollywood-ised with a focus on FX over original storylines ect.

Denise
15-07-2008, 08:27
A warhammer movie would inevitably stink. If hollywood made it, it would rip the soul out of the universe and defile it in every way possible. If gw tried to make it, it would turn 40k into a comedy.

borithan
15-07-2008, 08:35
a 40k tv show would end up being battlestar galactica with alot less, well, drama :x
Well, and excuses to say "frack"
Well, I could easily imagine, if done by a British channel, or HBO, it would have even more opportunities to use the proper word.

Never understood that... quite dark show, which frankly can sometimes get quite distressing.... yet they cannot swear properly (I do enjoy it though... damn waiting about 2 years for them to finish series 4 and then to release it on DVD)? Yeesh, sounds like the time I heard that there was a fuss about showing Saving Private Ryan on tv in the states, but the fuss was not about the rather bloody violence but the swearing.

WallWeasels
15-07-2008, 08:54
Its because its the scifi channel and honestly for them its a daned amazing show. Slowly made (started in 2003 for gods sake) but a good show non the less. :) I found "frack" rather entertaining in general, considering I always just substituted it for what we all know it means ;)