PDA

View Full Version : things you regret..... a lot

Kronos
14-07-2008, 01:03
well bit of a short story, had a very small old eldar army, poorly painted too seeing as i was quite young when i got them. didn't want them anymore simply because they took too much room and i wanted/want a new army.. went with fantasy... anyway back on track instead of selling them i gave them to my young cousin wich seemed to be showing intrest in miniatures. anyway about a week or so ago i visited him, and well you ain't seen eldar massacred like that in any fluff, arms were laying everywhere, tanks demolished and all that was left was a vyper, with what i can say was minimal damage, yet was salvagable, so asked if i could take it (i asked because taking after giving is just rude) he was fine with it because all he needed was two falcons, two falcons to have as prey to be smashed by some sort of large reptilian toy.

Morale of story make sure any miniatures you have go to a kind home....has anyone else had any incidents stories that they regret in giving, lending, assuming it would be right to give a miniature/s to a friend or family member and then horribly, horribly regreted it ?

PondaNagura
14-07-2008, 01:32
lending white dwarfs to a friend, having lost them without being able to find another print, and then needing said issue to research an army idea.

Slaaneshi Slave
14-07-2008, 01:34
I lent my 3rd Ed rule book to a friend when it was first released... When I got it back weeks later it was in tatters. :(

Unrelatd to this... I also regret the red shirt announcing how much my FW Reaver Titan costs whilst I was standing in the store with my fiancee...

WallWeasels
14-07-2008, 01:45
I built and painted 3 pentient engines :cries:

And Slave, I bet she won't let you get that now :p

Slaaneshi Slave
14-07-2008, 02:08
Too late, I already have it! :D

She never did find out about the Warhound I ordered at the same time though.... Shuuuush!

I built a single Penitent Engine, because luckily I realised they sucked before buying a whole squadron of them. They are beautiful models though, so don't be too sad.

WallWeasels
14-07-2008, 02:16
I know they are beautiful models, but yeah. Fun to see you have bought both anyway :p
I think almost all witch-hunters players, at one point, built up some Repentia just to regret that :)

chromedog
14-07-2008, 03:29
opening and reading this thread.

Life's too short to have regrets. Learn, and move on.

Triggerdog
14-07-2008, 04:30
I gave my copy of Imperial Armor 5 to a buddy and then a few weeks later he sort of had a nervous breakdown when he though I was challenging his supposed position as group leader (our group never had a leader) and I was "exiled". Not only that but I invested hundreds of dollars into the other players armys so that we could all play apocalypse and then he ousts me under the premise of cheating and decieving him through our entire friendship (which he could provide no evidence of). I left the scene on good terms with everyone else and I've heard that the guy who wanted to be the leader has lost most of the respect he carried amongst our group and other groups when they heard about his little tantrum.

I didnt make a fuss or anything. If worse comes to worst I can just call the police and have them return my property that he has to me which probably totals out to around $500.

I wouldnt say its a regret, not for me at least. He might have regrets though, who knows.

crazypeltast52
14-07-2008, 04:36
I bought 3 piranhas...

from forgeworld...

shortly before the plastic ones came out.

Triggerdog
14-07-2008, 04:38
I bought 3 piranhas...

from forgeworld...

shortly before the plastic ones came out.

aww that sucks. I new there had to be at least someone out there that did that. A friend of mine did it with a Sky Ray, lulz were had but not by him.

Redrivertears
14-07-2008, 05:40
When I was young and first got into W40k, I bought the original Rogue Trader 1st edition book. Unfortunately, somewhere over the years I must have either lost it, given it away or misplaced it. Either way, i can't for the life of me find it anymore.

Really a shame, i'd love to read that book again :)

-Redrivertears-

Ghost Of Caliban
14-07-2008, 06:24
I gave my copy of Imperial Armor 5 to a buddy and then a few weeks later he sort of had a nervous breakdown when he though I was challenging his supposed position as group leader (our group never had a leader) and I was "exiled". Not only that but I invested hundreds of dollars into the other players armys so that we could all play apocalypse and then he ousts me under the premise of cheating and decieving him through our entire friendship (which he could provide no evidence of). I left the scene on good terms with everyone else and I've heard that the guy who wanted to be the leader has lost most of the respect he carried amongst our group and other groups when they heard about his little tantrum.

I didnt make a fuss or anything. If worse comes to worst I can just call the police and have them return my property that he has to me which probably totals out to around $500.

I wouldnt say its a regret, not for me at least. He might have regrets though, who knows.

uh sounds like you guys take it a little too seriously...the fact the others still wnat to hang with someone like that is stupid.

"I am the glorious leader of...of...of my game group!" what a jerk.

untimention
14-07-2008, 06:29
getting lazy with paints so know i must have well over 1000 minis to paint.

The Guy
14-07-2008, 06:35
Bought the 3rd ed rulebook.
A month later, 4th ed came out....
:mad:

the1stpip
14-07-2008, 07:15
I have done that. I gave my 14 year old brother my old Ultra army, and when I saw it next, he had been 'creative'.

Ronin_eX
14-07-2008, 07:40
Selling off my 2nd Edition stuff the first time. I've bought most of it back now and I will never again part with it since I know I'll just regret it again. :D

Tommygun
14-07-2008, 07:55
Unrelatd to this... I also regret the red shirt announcing how much my FW Reaver Titan costs whilst I was standing in the store with my fiancee...

I long as you spent more on her ring.;)

Triggerdog
14-07-2008, 08:20

-Redrivertears-

No, no you dont. I read it few weeks ago because someone brought a copy up to my gaming store that I play at and I wanted to claw my eyes out. They should have just called it "Whimsy and Paint Chips: In Space" and been done with it.

@Caliban

That wasnt all at once, thats been in the four years that I knew him. Everyone in the group helped everyone else out (part of the reason that we didnt have use for a designated leader and were instead a utopian commune). But then things took a turn for the Orwell and someone wanted to be the leader. That someone, seeing me as a threat due to my natural charisma or whatever attempted to paint me in a bad light in front of the others which considering that I was the one that encouraged the teamwork aspect and introduced it in the first place was damn near impossible. Instead he made a fool out of himself and I opted to leave the group.

Bought the 3rd ed rulebook.
A month later, 4th ed came out....
:mad:

lol, just like Pirannah guy earlier.

Putty
14-07-2008, 08:21
sorry but starting a Black Templar army is one of my biggest regrets.

i end up buying so much stuff i got pissed off and sold it all off and am starting a nid army instead.

bloody space marines... why do you need to buy so many variaty of models just to play?

grrr...

MistaGav
14-07-2008, 08:56
Yea that has to be one of my regrets. I end up buying so many space marines because they look cool but realise I will never need them so they sit in the drawer. I plan not to make that mistake anymore!

Whitehorn
14-07-2008, 09:10
My mate took my Wraithlord home 8 years ago since I left it at the club. Probably my favourite painted model. He still hasn't had the opportunity to return it to me.

pookie
14-07-2008, 11:29
I long as you spent more on her ring.;)

id have several Reavers if thats how it worked! :D

i regret leaving my RT era/2nd Edition stuff at parents house when i first moved out, i had stolen 90% of my stuff, many of which would sell for a pretty penny on Ebay/private sale these days.

Jedi152
14-07-2008, 11:33
Not clearing out the pile of books under my desk sooner...

My mum kept telling me to do it after i moved out, and i never got round to it. There were plenty of threats of "I'll throw it all!" which i never heeded.

Got back once and she'd chucked the lot. "I only threw magazines!" she said. Say goodbye to pretty much every WD since 160, a mint Waaaagh Orks, rulebooks and loads of 2nd ed codeces and army books.

:cries: is the only emoticon that could express my feelings.

x-esiv-4c
14-07-2008, 11:35
Giving away a bunch of RT era minis.

Velsharoon
14-07-2008, 11:38
throwing out all my old warhammer as i hadnt touched it in 2 years when i was 18

most codexes, white dwarves to 200, vintage warhammer quest, various armies and dozens of models

coming back to the hobby 4 years after that with nothing :(

solvay
14-07-2008, 11:44
not really a regret for me atm but could sorta be..

lent my friend my mini fantasy rulebook only to find out a couple of weeks later after a night out hed been sick all over it and his high elf book :p

its alright tho ill get him to paint an army for me or something in return:D

Ironhand
14-07-2008, 11:57
When I was young and first got into W40k, I bought the original Rogue Trader 1st edition book. Unfortunately, somewhere over the years I must have either lost it, given it away or misplaced it. Either way, i can't for the life of me find it anymore.

-Redrivertears-

Me too. I sold all of my original 40K stuff, including the Rogue Trader book about 1992 or so when I got fed up with 2nd Edition. I really wish I had that Rogue Trader book back.

njfed
14-07-2008, 12:32
Buying 9 wraiths and 10 pariah because I wanted to have a necron force that was different from everyone else.

Messiahnide
14-07-2008, 13:08
about 3 years ago i drifted out of the hobby and threw away all my WD mags and a about 5 months ago i just wandered into my local GW store out of curiosotity and got back into it. now i wish i had all my old WDs for old ork articles >.<

TheOverlord
14-07-2008, 13:53
To check out the other forums other than Stories and Art, M,P&T and Rumors.

The horrors have scarred me ever since.

40kdhs
14-07-2008, 17:49
My biggest regret was to buy DH models. If I had known how GW treated DH army, I would never 'touch' this army. It's really shameful but i don't have any plan getting rid of them and still play it because I invested so much money and time in this army.

DH was my first and the only 40k army. As you can see, i'm really angry at GW.

RazielZian
14-07-2008, 18:15
My biggest personal regret is the early DA army that I sold off when I first switched armies (my first army was DA)...

The Guy
14-07-2008, 18:19
My biggest regret was to buy DH models. If I had known how GW treated DH army, I would never 'touch' this army. It's really shameful but i don't have any plan getting rid of them and still play it because I invested so much money and time in this army.

DH was my first and the only 40k army. As you can see, i'm really angry at GW.

HOW DARE YOU!!
DH have the best models. Best units [Grey Knights??? Talk about 100% Unadulterated WIN]
Rules aren't everything ;) My GK fanboism is though :mad:

And don't worry, everyones angry at GW for something.

Donblas
14-07-2008, 19:05
Buying a bunch of Tau stuff spent like 500 dollars on suits and broadsides and what not to only switch to Chaos about 2 months after. After that though I made my best purchase and bought a 3000 point eldar army for 150 bucks. So the universe kinda balanced other then my tau just sit there. Oh and not hanging onto the squats I had from when I was a little kid I got back into the game a few years ago only to find out my squats wernt alive anymore :(

borithan
14-07-2008, 21:07
No, no you dont. I read it few weeks ago because someone brought a copy up to my gaming store that I play at and I wanted to claw my eyes out. They should have just called it "Whimsy and Paint Chips: In Space" and been done with it.
whats wrong with whimsy?

I recently bought the rules on line (about 7 including postage... when often sold at 20+, so pleased with that) and really enjoyed them. Some of the art work was really a bit bad, but saw that as a product of the time (either too punky, or way too gothic), and there are some poor printing and proof reading, bizarre rules (following fire? Though I have to say I have seen other wargames of the time that use a similar system. The blast rules are the most wacky though... and especially when they casually combine them in the heavy plasma gun, failing totally to explain how that works), but it looked fun, and inspired me to such a degree I really want to have a go at having a shot when I have the time.

lequaye
14-07-2008, 22:42
I was given a lot of old random GW stuff about 15 years ago by my next door neighbor, I was about 10 at the time. They included around 20 WDs as early as issue 30, a set of about 6 mole mortars and the original blood bowl with the cool pitch. On top of that where a host of very old miniatures from the early eighties. Alas being young the whole lot was loved then sold to by a Saga Saturn... A Saga Saturn, they weren't even that good!

Vaktathi
14-07-2008, 23:09
I have one major regret.

The major one was starting Tau. I like the way the army works and the visual aspect of the army (although I do find much of their fluff to be a bit mary-sue, so I envision and play them more as a 1984 type faction than the "good guys") however I finished building them just a couple months ago, and really do not like the way they work under 5th edition. I'll probably still play them, however I wish I had simply gone and done Eldar earlier.

My minor regret is mainly not having painted more yet. I've got a huge number of mini's still to be painted and I'm still planning on buying more :cries:

victorpofa
14-07-2008, 23:49
I regret buying so many Wolf Guard Terminators, buying all the codexes last year just before the new Chaos codex was released, and accidentally buying a second Rune Priest. Forgot I had one already.

Not nearly as bad as most of you luckily.

unclejimbo827
15-07-2008, 03:28
A bunch of my first ultramarines I decided to paint as blood angels instead. so I put them in pine sol... yeah.

CarnusCaedes
15-07-2008, 03:51
In 1987 being given by an English school mate who had emigrated to Australia, a Rogue trader Rule book two shoe boxes overflowing with rtb02 SpaceOrks, Ork dreadbitz, battle wagons, Metal tyranids, hunter slayers, screamer killers, rtb01 marines metal scouts, 2 rhinos, 3 Landraiders and one of every lead marine of the day,

Then on a dark august day in the fooloishness of my youth 3 months after throwing the figures into the metal dump on the property the family owned thinking I'd never use them... I kept the Book.

The regret part came when a year later I took up the game again and have done since recently I saw how much they sell for now. I'd have never sold them but knowing I had them and so casually threw them away.

I think I could find where they are buried but I don't think the new owners of the land would appreciate trespassers.

CraftworldsRus
15-07-2008, 03:56
Deciding to try and strip some perfectly good RT era beakies, and, while not melting them, they are in need of much work. Hmmmm...that, and deciding that writer was a valid career choice.

TheEndIsHere
15-07-2008, 04:16
I decided to play a game at some guy I know's place (notice I didn't use the word friend's). He has a few armies of about 1500-2000 points and I have a 4000 point necron army.
(This happened not even 4 months ago) So I got to his place and saw all his models in a special shelf, nice I tought but they weren't assembled, he said he tought I could help him. I backed out because I would never assemble anyone else's models because of the price of those things (in Canada) and a 10$ a week allowance (a battleforce is 130$, I don't even have a proper case so I carry my models around in the battle force boxes). I find the models are way too expensive for some one not to have them as he wanted.
So I went home but decided to leave my models at his house because I was to come the next day to play against him. The next day at school he comes to me with a face like he's got a new hilarious joke to tell me and he says "You know your necrons, I put them on the shelf in my room(it,s about 6.5 feet of the ground) and in the middle of the night I heard a weird noise and woke up and my cat pushed all you necrons off the shelf and started playing with them, by the looks of it, they failed their WWB rolls (haha)"
I played against him, with broken models, put them back in the boxes with all the peices I could find walked back home, put them on a shelf in my room (no animals) And I have not since then touched them. I quit the hobby. I'll keep the models in case I get bored in a few years and start playing again But for now he is the only person I can play against and his house is the only place I can play.
I was blessed by the Nightbringer that day as I decided not to use my monolith so it didn't bring it. But my favorite model ever, the only model I would show to anyone because of my painting skills, the only model which I am proud of having painted and converted, was a metal destroyer lord. I looked at it once and I can't even remmber in what state it was last time I saw it (I only remember the bottom peice of destroyers with the cables, some cables are ripped off.

I think there is alot of dust on my models now. I should bring em to the basement.

D-End

kendaop
15-07-2008, 04:20
Using the same carrying case for multiple armies. There are practically no foam pieces left on the tank tray. I need another one...or two.

On the other hand though, I DON'T regret buying that completely painted and converted Plague Zombie (LatD) army for $125. The rumors on warseer said C:Daemons was coming out in a few months....and it did. :D