PDA

View Full Version : Daemons vs HE,Beast,Daemons

shaselai
14-07-2008, 17:33
Ok! got back from tourny and fought 3 battles against armies i haven't played against:

I used:
Kairos
Tzeentch herald,mos,fly
Nurgle herald,L1,palaquin,noxious,slime BSB sunder
Blue scribes

20 bloodletters fc banner with d6 move
16 plaguebearers w/ fc banner decay
10 horrors
6 flamers
5 hounds

Against High Elf:
Teclis
2 mages w/ 2 dispels
BSB

3 repeaters
10 x 2 archers
25 swordmasters
20 lions

Basically i moved up and he let his teclis and mage join an archer unit and move up - after i almost decimated the archer unit the he jumped to the 2nd one. He had the archers units in front of the swordmaster and lions so they didn't move till much later- well the swordmasters never moved an inch.... After teclis joined archer unit my 5 remaining bloodletters (after shots,phoenix on them...) charged and killed teclis in 2 turns. I made a stupid mistake on my last turn by having my hounds stay within the charging range of his lions - so I missed SV by 20 points... All in all it was pretty fun game - i thought him putting teclis in that archer unit was very risky/stupid. Also, he tried to shoot down my 10men horror unit with all his shooting and magic for 3 turns before killing it and the herald in it... i think the 280 points was well spent from the fire spilling else where.

2-Beastmen!
bull guy
3 mages of tzeentch (1 had 1+ save..)
20 x 2 skirmisher/raiders
2 giants
5 x 3 minotaurs(maybe 4 units?)
5 x 3 wolves

he approached me pretty quick - I didn't know he had the d3 extra charge so my flamers couldn't stand and shoot his skirmirsher unit - the flamers did manage to kill about 10 of the skirmishers though... He made a mistake by not paying attention to Miasma of pestilence - when i cast it the first time i told him what it was, 2nd time i basically said 1s on combat stats ws,s,t, etc. and he charged in with giant anyways and i beat him. He did kill my bloodletter unit and overran into my kairos - but luckily on my turn i Lurkered my plague unit to their flank and won combat. All in all it was a draw favoring me and it was fun - he had wolves in front of minotaurs to draw charges but i never took bait and tried to blast him but i rolled badly in magic. The game was incredibly slow because he was baiting me most of the time and i didn't fall for any of it. If it went on turn 4 i would've killed his giant and got at least a SV because my mages were there and his was running away and he wouldve had only a couple of DD.

3. Chaos daemons!
BT w/ IF,AK,dispel
2 tzench heralds 1w/power vortex
25 horrors
20 horrors
24 plaguebearer w/ herald nurgle
5 x 2 hounds
1 blood crusher

Ok this battle was no fun at all.. He was being a **** and accused me being one when i tried to be like him...

Anyway, in my movement phase i moved my flamers 6, then decided to move him 6 in another direction - i said "ok, you think i can see your hounds so i can shoot at them?" he said "yeah". Now on my shooting phase i had a memory lapse or something and said they will shoot BT(mostly because i was staring at it) I measured out of range then said i was targetting your hounds because i moved there etc. He said tough luck. OK, it was my fault so it was fine (i wouldve normally let people take shots because it was obvious who they were going to target especially mentioning it)...
Now later on I cast wall of fire on his horror unit and when in his movement phase, after he moved them I said "ok, time to do wall of fire effect" - he then said "no, i let you move your flamer to another direction so you should let me take back my move." I said "they are different things - i was just figuring out where to move" and he said "if you want to play that way then fine". It made me look like a **** so i let him take it back. This was probably a gamebreaker for me since both of his wizards are in that unit and both suffered a wound - if they both died then It would open up for my magic phase so much.

Another incident i cast cleansing flare - he tried to dispel with 3 dice and failed. then we measured and he said his dogs are within range and he tried to dispel it with 3 dice again and succeeded... i don't think you are allowed to do that and he blamed me for not measuring before hand so whatever..

By that time I kinda "gave" up - he tried to challenge with his Nurgle herald and when I said my herald will match and the noxious vapour will come in effect since they will be touching - he took it back. I didn't really care at that point and said "whatever" and he was annoyed by that. Later on we lost track of turns and I said I think this is the last turn - he said yeah and since I went 2nd it was my last turn and final turn of the game. I moved Kairos out to be more aggressive and my herald and blue scribes. I did my turn and then the Judge said we have 30 mins left and then he said "lets keep going" - I was like wtf since my guys were in the open and he killed my herald,scribes and wounded kairos to half. I think he just felt like clearing the board of my guys - he did brag about how he killed everything and got kairos down to 1/2..

It was massacre and he got like 2400 points - few of those things above cost me quite a bit especially the flamers, wall of fire etc.

Overall I had Win,Draw,Lose. I enjoyed the Beastmen game because it was really close - the High elf was mostly him shooting and magicking me and me trying to get there and some magic. Third was horrible - by the time he was getting pissed at me for the wall of fire I though of packing it up...

I was also surprised by what armies people brought... I thought mine was OTT but teclis High elves, Empire with Popemobile, cannons and others, beastmen with 13 PD 2 giants, lizardmen with 10pd and 2nd gen slann were pretty up there too... luckily i didn't take LOC instead of kairos...

I just hope I never have to play that guy again... if i do I will be sure to try to get every single guy he has on the table.

Solon
14-07-2008, 20:40
IMO you've got to stay consistent with your opponent. Make a gut judgement early and decide whether to ref it tight or ref it loose.

If you ref it tight then don't fudge anything, especially when your opponent lets you. Don't give your opponent any take-backs.

If you ref it loose, let your game-changing mistakes stand even when your opponent lets you take it back. Let your opponent take back stuff, but never give him the farm.

Its too bad the Daemon game went poorly as it stacked up well vs. your army list.

Thanks for the batrep!

shaselai
15-07-2008, 13:21
IMO you've got to stay consistent with your opponent. Make a gut judgement early and decide whether to ref it tight or ref it loose.

If you ref it tight then don't fudge anything, especially when your opponent lets you. Don't give your opponent any take-backs.

If you ref it loose, let your game-changing mistakes stand even when your opponent lets you take it back. Let your opponent take back stuff, but never give him the farm.

Its too bad the Daemon game went poorly as it stacked up well vs. your army list.

Thanks for the batrep!

Yeah when i played we always "played it loose" - like moving back and forth etc. I tried to "play tight" after he said my flamers couldnt shoot even though i said i was gonna shoot at his hounds - i accepted that mistake. But when i tried to do the same when he moved the horrors he accused me of playing tight by not letting him move back AFTER the wall of fire effect... i felt really bad and let him. He was basically "playing loose" when i am not immediately dangering his stuff and "play tight" when i am. next time i will play tight against him the whole way