PDA

View Full Version : Empire Crusade Army (2,250pt)

The SkaerKrow
14-07-2008, 18:08
I've decided that I want an army that has good heavy cavalry, and lately I've been courting the idea of an army inspired by the armies of the Crusades. That leaves me with two real options, the Empire or Bretonnia. For my first crack at the list, I've drafted Empire, and here it goes.

(Units marked with an asterisk are Detachments of the closest Parent Unit above them)

CHARACTERS

1 Templar Grandmaster 195pts
General
Lance
Plate Armor
Shield
Shroud of Magnus
on Barded Warhorse

1 Captain of the Empire 142pts
Battle Standard Bearer
Plate Armor
Holy Relic
on Barded Warhorse

1 Warrior Priest 151pts
Sword of Might
Sigil of Sigmar
Light Armor
Enchanted Shield
on Barded Warhorse

1 Warrior Priest 160pts
Sword of Battle
Aldred's Casket of Sorcery
Heavy Armor
Shield
on Barded Warhorse

CORE

20 Spearmen 132pts
Shields
Musician
Standard

*10 Crossbowmen 80pts

*10 Free Company 50pts

20 Spearmen 132pts
Shields
Musician
Standard

*10 Crossbowmen 80pts

*10 Free Company 50pts

20 Spearmen 132pts
Shields
Musician
Standard

*10 Crossbowmen 80pts

*10 Free Company 50pts

10 Crossbowmen 80pts

SPECIAL

5 Inner Circle Knights 195pts
War Banner
Musician
Standard
Champion

5 Inner Circle Knights 200pts
Standard of Arcane Warding
Musician
Standard
Champion

5 Inner Circle Knights 170pts
Musician
Standard
Champion

5 Inner Circle Knights 170pts
Musician
Standard
Champion

Point Total: 2249

The idea of running an army with decent anti-magic and yet no Wizards appeals to me, hence the presence of the Sigil of Sigmar, Shroud of Magnus, Aldred's Casket of Sorcery and Standard of Arcane Warding. Between that and the two extra Dispel Dice from the Warrior Priests, I feel confident that I can keep my Knights alive long enough to either go beat up the enemy Wizards, or at least get close enough to start robbing them of some of their spells.

Obviously the list has to include a lot of Knights, and I decided to run them all of the Inner Circle variety. When joined by a Warrior Priest, that's a whole lot of Strength 6, Weapon Skill 4 Hatred attacks for someone to contend with. The Crossbowmen are there to knock ranks off of units before the Knights charge, to shoot down flankers or light cav, or if the opportunity presents itself, to train all their fire on a single unit in order to rack up a real kill count. The Spearmen and their Free Company Detachments are the second line offense, following in the charge of the Knights and hopefully hitting the enemy lines while they're in at least partial disarray.

That's the plan, at least. Having not played as Empire before, it's still something that I'm perfecting. I'd like to keep within my Crusader theme, but almost as important is creating a list that's truly competitive (unlike most of my offerings), if not a bit unorthodox in this case. Comments and critiques are welcome.

Kalec
14-07-2008, 20:44
Your captain is armed with just a hand weapon, which is a horrid waste of his combat stats. Cut a couple crossbowmen here and there and give him a lance at the least. Getting heavy armor for the priest with the sword of might would be great to. Spearmen are always a solid choice, though many prefer swordsmen for their superior survivability.