PDA

View Full Version : Why wont gw make a movie?

srgt. gak
15-07-2008, 21:15
its not like it would hurt them to do it. they could use the cgi that the dawn of war games are made of( esppecially the danw of war 2 intro, holy crap go check that out, that striking scorpion gets snatched up and roasted by a dred, pure awsomeness) they can sell it themselves if they wanted to

Danny Internet
15-07-2008, 21:17
Aren't they in a craptastic enough financial situation without having to spend money on a movie that will probably flop?

Matt121
15-07-2008, 21:22
They wouldn't make it because its not financially justifiable, it wouldn't make a good return because of the limited target audience & to be honest just where would you start? The 40k universe is just immense in terms of size & timelines.

PondaNagura
15-07-2008, 21:35
they'd be better off making an anthology of shorter films, than one large one; where not every race could participate in one length of movie, without cheesifying it. and it leaves any level of plot lines open, or media to interpret how 40k could be, wether its cgi, classic animation, black n white, etc. granted it would prob be an external source not within GW, independents or smaller film studios.

Waaagh Grignak
15-07-2008, 21:37
Some short cartoons like clone wars would be awesome?

PondaNagura
15-07-2008, 21:44
could just take short stories from all the anthologies they released over the years, maybe thrown in a few ones from tau or ork perspectives.

warsmithferrousmaximus
15-07-2008, 22:30
They could easily emulate film stories such as lotr or Chroncles of Narnia, for example starting with events from the Horus Heresy and building up to more recent events like the Eye of Terror campaign or the events of Warriors of Ultramar and Dead sky ,Black sun. Also Storm of Iron would make an awesome film,although the ending is a bit too dark perhaps?

:skull: IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT :skull:

Esturk
15-07-2008, 22:34
Isn't Mutant Chronicles getting a movie? Perhaps if it does well GW might see a profit in such a venture? Probably not, but one can dream.

Phunting
15-07-2008, 22:40
There's no way they could possibly do one that would work. The background is far too dark and pessimistic for mainstream movie, especially one aimed at the early teen audience which is what they’d be after.

The only way to do it would be to butcher it so much that it could hardly be called 40k. Let us pray it never ever ever is made…

Finnith
15-07-2008, 22:41
It really depends on how the films were made. I highly doubt GW could finance a film, much like marvel didnt have the set up to produce their comic book films until recently and once they were able to they came out with Iron Man and some of the newer films which are being planned. These keep the geeks relatively happy as well as appealing to a wider audience unlike films like spiderman 3 or the fantastic 4 stuff which just takes the backstory then produces the same old crap.

GW wont make a proper film for several reasons.

1. Highly doubtful that they will have the power to have any creative control once the contract is signed. The GW lawyers are good but holywoods are in a different league. End up with a crap film that would be detrimental to the companies image in the long run.

2. Cheap ripoffs: GW lives of its quality of products. Once a film is made, ands it actually good, markets will be flooded by crappy pre-painted "super-marines" from china. Parents will buy a box of 5 marines from pound stretcher for next to nothing and any idea of a credible hobby will be thrown out the window.

3. Corporate take over. If the IP seems like a good idea and the film actually works, GW will have take over bids left, right and centre. These companies will sell off any idea of value, quality will go out the window, all production will be moved overseas to make higher profits, crappy sequels (see starship troopers 2), generally bad things could happen.

I would love to see a GW film but i wouldnt wont to risk losing the hobby over a single games time watching some flashing lights and crappy dialog.

Edit: However mini series like those suggested above would be great. Stay under the radar of anyone not interested. Seeing what the likes of Dr Who and Heroes are doing, slowly working to darker and darker times I could see an Inquisitor based series being made. If it was done by TV rather than film makers then it would actually have something to do with the acting/storyline rather than trying to randomly inset as many product placements as possible.

PondaNagura
15-07-2008, 22:50
um, GW already sold off a chuck of their IP, when they sold off dark heresy and all the sub-games (well not the manufacturing part, but a good deal of the fluff).

Azriel45
15-07-2008, 23:22
personally i think that the HH novels would make excellent CG movies. but of course that is just my opinion on it.
oh and in the DoW 2 vid. that was a banshee. not a scorpion

srgt. gak
16-07-2008, 00:08
my bad on the scorpion, still a sweet kill. but anything would be cool, even something like the clone wars. i live in west virginia, not the most gaming friendly place, so anything they could through out that i could use to get my 40k fix would work fine. i wouldnt even mind stuff like inquistor with its bad graphics.

edit

why cant they do short films once in a while, and sell them like so companies sell how to tapes. They make it themselves and distribute it themselves, taking hollywood and their inability to make a movie based of a game out of the picture, after all they used to do this with the games day short movies.(btw why did they stop making movies like inqusitor?)

Drakon
16-07-2008, 00:17
although a movie would be good it just wont live up to the hype and will flop badly leaving die hard fans annoyed.

I want them to make a movie but dont want it to be made just so their is one. I think CGI is the only way they will really pull it off.

WallWeasels
16-07-2008, 00:56
A movie wouldn't be likely as GW would like to have almost all the rights to it. Almost all movie companies will want rights to make merchandizing and other things. I mean come on people look at how long it took GW to get New Line to be abit more loose with the Lotr rights. :o I mean who wants to see a GW movie thats "based on 40k" instead of an actual 40k movie! :p

SockMonkey
16-07-2008, 01:27
comes down to who ever made the movie would want rights to the merch and GW would never let that happen.

Templar Ben
16-07-2008, 02:14
Agreed. There is a lot of money on merchandising and GW really doesn't want Hasbro making all of these related products.

It would be interesting to see if there was a movie. I think the best way to make it would be to jump right into the story with either some flashbacks to fill things in or having a brief write up in the first scene and then some gaps filled in during oratory by a commissar of chaplain.

I think a great movie would be to have IG holding a planet against Tau or Chaos (Necrons are Terminator, Tyranids are Alien, Orks are silly, Eldar are just Space Elves). The Space Marines would make a brief appearance but they would be so out of touch with the IG they are not at all capable of making a connection. IG hold on to one building after losing pretty much everyone and are evacuated at dawn. On the ship in orbit, they are all shellshocked a few are crying all are injured and they notice the planet is beginning to glow. The planet was Exterminitus so all of their friends died for nothing.

I am no writer though.

Inquisitor Engel
16-07-2008, 02:27
GW are on pretty good terms with Peter Jackson... He's a stickler for source material as well (with some modifications, but GW probably does more on their own!)

Nephilim of Sin
16-07-2008, 02:29
Because no matter what, the fans would not be pleased. It would also have to be altered to suit a broader target audience (think PG-13), like many of the comic books films, and they would have to change enough to 'cheese off' every fan who did not want to see it based purely on visuals.

As said, there is too much story to cover, to many races, and with all the complaining about Space Marines getting all the 'GW Love' (and vast amount of players) people would feel left out, or perhaps feel that GW 'sold out'.

There is a wealth of story there, but I think a series would be much better than a feature movie. Then again, it could still run into the same potential problems....

srgt. gak
16-07-2008, 02:53
mabye they could through out a little mabye 30 minute film for the release of every new codex/expansion. giving the codex's factions percpective of one particular batlle, or how the expansion will effect the " real war" so players can have an idea of how certain things look and act in a gw controled scene. similar to how the video games give a short clip dedicated to each race showing that race kill every other race.

Chem-Dog
16-07-2008, 03:06
Games-Workshop is not a movie studio, this is why there isn't a 40K movie. Regardless of how good an Idea anyone at GW might think such a venture might be, to get a hollywood budget you need to convince the least artisitcally minded people in the world (studio beancounters) that this film is a profitable venture.

Animated could work but to get the cool style of animation that 40K deserves means you're still looking at a significant budget.
Games Workshop as a hobby is still pretty low key on the international arena so until (if) that changes it's unlikely we'll get a feature.

Having said that, of course, they DID make Speed Racer

Mott
16-07-2008, 03:58
I wouldnt want a 40k movie.

*gasp! many shall say.

However they would have to market to a mainstream audience, and the inevitable Store Kids with rich parents who buy em a bunch of miniatures for them to color on with markers.

Here we get our PG-13 rating and with it a major dumbing down of the universe. (though the level of violence in the DoW 2 trailer, and original opening video give hope)

Im no gore freak and I dont enjoy movies like SAW and Hostel, but 40k is a REALLY dark universe and to portray ANY enemy of the imperium accuratley there would be alot of violence gibbing of guardsmen and limbs flying everywhere.

After all think of what most weapons in 40k do? Accuratley portraying what a boltgun would do to a human body would require an R rating, sorry.

So you need an R rating.

Another major 'problem' with 40k is faith. Its a faith based universe based off medeival christianity so would NEED to be portrayed as evil or the media would cry for equal rights for the chaos cults.

(And shutup you preteen tau players Caste systems are even worse!)

So that in and of itself makes it alot darker than most people can stomach.

Anyone see hellboy 2? If you havent don't.

Its got demons, futuristic Elves, Orks(well trolls), and a cache of ancient warmachines (cough titan legion) to discover and it sucked more ***** than the girls from two girls one cup. (harry potter with guns? no thanks.)

Warzone (Mutant Chronicles), havent seen much of it yet, but it dosent look very true to the IP. Even though its pretty much a dead one anyway.

Im afraid it'll suck but make money... then we can expect a ****** 40k movie.

kundvagn
16-07-2008, 04:13
Warzone (Mutant Chronicles), havent seen much of it yet, but it dosent look very true to the IP. Even though its pretty much a dead one anyway.

I haven't actually seen it myself but from what I've heard they pretty much threw out most of the lore and just used some of the characters names and such. No mention of the apostels, nepharites or things like that.

And as mentioned before either that would happen or the movie would be too hardcore for anyone but the fans to enjoy, which of course isn't financially viable. It's hard to belive but most people wouldn't want to see a sci-fi movie with orks, elves and god knows what where, on top of it all, every one is pretty much evil to the core.

I think we should be happy with just books and leave the rest to our imagination.

thenurgler
16-07-2008, 04:41
Feel free to put your $40 million behind it.

Plastic Rat
16-07-2008, 05:12
GW wont make a proper film for several reasons.

1. Highly doubtful that they will have the power to have any creative control once the contract is signed. The GW lawyers are good but holywoods are in a different league. End up with a crap film that would be detrimental to the companies image in the long run.

2. Cheap ripoffs: GW lives of its quality of products. Once a film is made, ands it actually good, markets will be flooded by crappy pre-painted "super-marines" from china. Parents will buy a box of 5 marines from pound stretcher for next to nothing and any idea of a credible hobby will be thrown out the window.

3. Corporate take over. If the IP seems like a good idea and the film actually works, GW will have take over bids left, right and centre. These companies will sell off any idea of value, quality will go out the window, all production will be moved overseas to make higher profits, crappy sequels (see starship troopers 2), generally bad things could happen.

I would love to see a GW film but i wouldnt wont to risk losing the hobby over a single games time watching some flashing lights and crappy dialog.

Great points. I agree 100% here. 40k movie? DO NOT WANT! Simply because of what it will do to the hobby and the IP.

As long as stupid crap like THIS keeps happening I have no faith that it could be done properly: http://www.cc2k.us/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1327&Itemid=2

On the other hand, tell me this wouldn't make a sweet, sweet intro to a movie: http://www.thq-games.com/uk/thqtv/index/1687

shabbadoo
16-07-2008, 05:15
Yeah, 40K is way too niche of a market, and the return on the investment would certainly be crap. Sci-fi itself is just too niche of a market. For instance…

There was this oddball movie called “Star Wars” a while back. I barely recall what it was about. When it did come out, people were all "WTF is Star Wars?", as nobody knew anything about it, and so it remains to this very day. It wasn’t based on any pre-established book series or anything, which is probably why it failed so miserably.

There was also this horrible sci-fi television show with a budget of ASS on network tv a long time ago. Occasionally you’ll hear old people mention the name "Star Trek". Dude, that was just some lame tv show in the 70's that nobody remembers.

There was also this movie about aliens called by the unimaginative title “Alien”. It was a dramatic sci-fi/horror movie that nobody remembers much of either. It was totally intended for an adult audience, so it couldn't possibly have spawned a line of toys or anything for a younger audience. You’d just have to be on crack to think that could ever happen.

Yet another movie was “Predator”. It was adult in content too for the most part, but nobody remembers that one either. I think the lead actor went on to become a minor politician or something, but I can’t remember his name.

Then there is the whole ‘War movie” genre of films. These types of movies have never done well. There were a couple of really poor attempts made at dramatic versions of war movies, like “Saving Private Ryan”, and even a mini-series called “Band of Brothers”, but you can’t even find dvds of these movies anywhere. Fortunately, we have the internet and the ability to special order these things for the few people who like dramatic war movies.

You probably haven’t heard of any of these movies, so just go ahead and Google the titles. They are all pretty obscure, but you may find something on them. Good luck!

[Sarcasm OFF]

Really, people underestimate the general audiences by a whole heck of a lot, and it is this mindset that explains why we only see movies like those mentioned above every so often. Its also the reason why too many of the sequels to some of those movies have sucked as bad as they have- they get “dumbed down”. But hey, if you want to perpetuate that, then go right ahead. I would rather not. Most of these movies were rated R, but I think a decent 40K movie could be done with a PG-13 rating, and that’s right smack on the dot with regards to the target audience. Going by how successful rated- R sci-fi movies have been, GW might want to go rated- R instead, though keep the Slaanesh stuff out of there for sure. Many parents can get over a bit of foul language in a movie, but Slaanesh type stuff? Not likely, so just stay away from it. Besides, tastes vary around the world.

Trust me, you make an epic sic-fix movie that is rated R, and that got its rating from a little bit of language but mostly from action/violence/gore, then people(mainly guys) of all ages will certainly go out of their way to see it. And if the story is actually decent as well, then heck, you might just have a movie franchise in the making.

People do like dramatic movies. Take Lord of the Rings for instance. Overall it was a well done, dramatic, fantasy movie. That ought to be a clue as to what kind of response a dramatic “make-believe” movie can get. None of that “bibble-dee bobble-dee boo" Harry Potter stuff at all, but in its defense that movie is for a much younger target audience than Lord of the Rings, so that stuff is OK by me. What are my least favorite parts of Lord of the Rings? The stupid jokes involving Gimli. I've never heard somebody say "Dude! That movie was sooo cool because it had a dwarf tossing joke in it!" Keep that gimmicky lame crap out of there, and put in some topical humor more relevant to the story. The only humour-laden 40k movie I wouldn't mind seeing would be based on Ciaphis-cough-Flashman-cough-Cane, but that of course makes sense, and the humor would center all around him, and not about anybody else. Ciaphis Cane movie does NOT equal Black Adder movie!

If they make a gritty, dramatic, war-torn, EPIC, sci-fi movie based on 40K then people will flock to the theatres. 40K already has going for it what none of the previously mentioned movies had- a large audience that not only wants these kinds of movies. Not only that but many of the same people who want these movies already knows about 40K or knows people who do, and anybody who doesn't know the 40K background will easily be able to find out about it. 40k already has brand name recognition, something that none of the previous movies can say they had.

Then there is that whole angle of the movie selling the miniatures(and a little bit of vice versa too), but I will have to agree that the investors would probably fold to a massive buy-out, and the IP would probably be ripped to shreads along with the game. So, this is probably a "Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it." type of thing. if GW was a private, non-stock holding company, then they'd be in more control of something like this. Oh well.

Obliterati
16-07-2008, 05:54
Keep this in mind: the average animated film from Pixar, Disney, Dreamworks etc cost between 80-180 million dollars to make.

Or, to put it another way, WALL-E cost 1.87 million dollars per minute of runtime. Even if you went with crappy sweatshop animation, you're still looking at 50+ million bucks for a two hour movie

Nobody's gonna greenlight that kind of money unless they could guarantee 8-10 million theatre tickets sold and another 3-5 million DVD sales.

To a Hollywood beancounter, that's just too much of a gamble to risk on a niche-audience type product with just a few hundred thousand hardcore fans. Someday, we may get some cheap, throwaway made-for-tv live-action crapfest on the Sci-Fi Channel, but to be honest, I'd rather they not insult us like that.

Occulto
16-07-2008, 06:08
Shabbadoo, for every successful Fantasy/Sci-Fi movie/series, there's a s*** load of bombs.

Witness the cinematic brilliance of such classics as Dungeons & Dragons and Zardoz. :rolleyes:

Nephilim of Sin
16-07-2008, 07:07
...There was this oddball movie called “Star Wars” a while back. I barely recall what it was about. When it did come out, people were all "WTF is Star Wars?", as nobody knew anything about it, and so it remains to this very day. It wasn’t based on any pre-established book series or anything, which is probably why it failed so miserably.

Yeah, and it was rejected by most studios, and had it been made using the original script, would have made Zardoz look like cinematic gold. Plus, it had a little thing of being innovative for the time, something fresh and mindblowing. 40k doesn't really have that.

There was also this horrible sci-fi television show with a budget of ASS on network tv a long time ago. Occasionally you’ll hear old people mention the name "Star Trek". Dude, that was just some lame tv show in the 70's that nobody remembers.

A series that has now spawned quite a few clunkers, and whose last movie only made them 7 million above their production costs, which is sad with the fanbase they have.

D&D has a much larger fanbase that 40k (in the states, at least), and look how well that movie did. Okay, yes, it sucked harshly, and word of mouth may have caused it to cave, but it only did a measly 7 million its opening weekend, which is sad.

As said, a 40k movie would not be marketed towards 40k fans. It is sad, but true. Why? Because the fans would already be hooked to see it. Would you really want to see a 40k movie go the way of some of the recent crap comic book/video game movies (which have larger fanbases and about as much fluff)? At the rate things are going in the movie industry, Horus would be Vin Diesel and the Emperor would be Samuel L. Jackson, and the Warp would be caused by terrorism while the Imperium would be an oppressive government with Horus becoming the hero, giving his life to destroy the evil government.

I still don't see why people are trying to make a correlation between a 40k movie and the LoTR trilogy. 40k is an unfinished story with massive holes in its fluff, LoTR was a complete story. Same with the Harry Potter movies. Trying to decide how to incorporate 40k into a movie would be maddening. There would be too much peripheral information that would need to be explained for it to even make sense. Too many armies that would be left out, or not fleshed out, to make most fans hate the movie. Do we just want a two-hour shoot 'em up with a semblance to 40k? Throw in most sci-fi movies, and you are already there.

Foolish Mortal
16-07-2008, 08:46
I shall have to jump on the nay sayers bandwagon here and even though I would love one, hope that a 40K movie is never made.

My reasons are the same as many others - belief that it could never be done full justice & that it would have to be toned (not necessarily dumbed) down to much in order to appeal to a larger audience (thus make money).

It may also be a bit to niche. I know plenty of people watch films just because they are good, regardless of genre, but if you look at the distinct religious basis of 40K, then I could see that been a complete turnoff for many, and blood boiling for others.

All just my opinion of course.

Jedi152
16-07-2008, 08:55
A film wouldn't live up to your expectations and you'd spend the rest of your lives flooding WarSeer with whining threads about it.

The problem is that you all know every shred of stuff about the 40k universe. The average cinema goer hasn't. They'd have to spend an hour of the film explaining the universe and the history of it.

Just let it exist in your head, then it was always fulfil your expectations.

And it's not mainstream enough.

Psycho_Laughs
16-07-2008, 09:32
on a positive note, for all you 40kers that are also WFB geeks, the best next thing is coing to movie form. warcraft is going to become a live action flick. aparently the guys at blizzard are looking for high caliber movie production (rumors indicate that they are working things with the same production company that brought us 300).
with WoW, i think they could make a series of bad movies and still have money coming out of the wazoo... 10 million active acounts? paying 15 bucks a month?

i personally can't wait.

Royal Tiger
16-07-2008, 09:35
so make a movie that only a relatively small number of people know anything about?
yeah great idea, so NO I don't want a GW movie, GW already waste money on stupid things

BigRob
16-07-2008, 09:51
There was a big ole discussion about this after Damnatus was shelved.

General consensus, GW wont risk letting thier IP get away. I'd be all for space marine lunchboxes and soda cups, Tyranid happy meal toys and Imperial Guard action man with real working flashlight..I mean gun, But GW would have to loose out on total control. Look at some of the relaly crappy Harry Potter merchandise that came out, nothing like any of the descriptinos or artwork JK released, it was cheap, nasty and purely to make money.

Fanboys are also a big problem. When talking about what you wnat in a movie alot of people seemed to want naked deamonettes, gory arms being graphically hacked off action and spacemarine/Battlesister porn, claiming that if this want included it wouldnt be "dark" enough. This will not sell to the audience GW want and is likely to just get ridiculed.

My thoughts, Kal Jerico or Titan as an animated series. Shouldnt be too expensive, something in the American style like Titan AE or TMNT. It could be a winner if done right and remember the big toy sales that follow series like TMNT and Transformers........hmmm money

Hrw-Amen
16-07-2008, 11:01
Rather than a movie how about an interactive RPG done with CGI which could be released for games consoles, (Or PC?) this could incorporate many movie type CGI shots but still have some game play value. I could see that being interesting if based on an Inquisitor or something like that. Probably woudl be difficult to pull off in a whole battle type scenario though.

wilycoyote
16-07-2008, 11:38
Hi,

I admit to amongst the "nay sayers" a full blown film would and should never be made.

However, I wonder how much mileage in an "Animatrix" style approach, inviting makers in different formats (live, manga, cgi) to create short films based on the 40k mythos. GW could review the output and produce a compilation dvd or something.

If enough interest was generated then.......

wilyc

Urza
16-07-2008, 11:52
Hi,

I admit to amongst the "nay sayers" a full blown film would and should never be made.

However, I wonder how much mileage in an "Animatrix" style approach, inviting makers in different formats (live, manga, cgi) to create short films based on the 40k mythos. GW could review the output and produce a compilation dvd or something.

wilyc

I think this would be an excellent approach. Make a 40k straight to DVD movie or anthology, written by the likes of Dan Abnett, Graham McNeill and Ben Counter. Film it entirely in CGI of the quality that THQ used for the Dawn of War 2 intro, and sell it exclusively in Games Workshop Stores.

I guarantee it would sell by the bucketload.

srgt. gak
16-07-2008, 13:19
Hi,

wilyc

You mean like a fluff video? that might be neat. It would be cost friendly, and would mean that only gw fans would buy it, leaving gws ip intact.

Templar Ben
16-07-2008, 13:48
If they were going to do that I would prefer for them to do one movie per faction and the DVD would be available in the Army Box with a "How to paint X" movie, and series of short films on how to build race specific terrain. There could also be pdf's like templates for the terrain pieces and race specific scenarios.

It wouldn't hurt to put a write up on why they would fight each of the other factions (a page or two on why Eldar and Dark Eldar do not sit by the campfire and sing kumbaya) and I would like to have how that race is viewed by all of the other races sterotypically. You saw that in Vampire for the Clans, races in Shadowrun, and even races in SLA. It helps to get an idea of why the guys with the spikes and the cone heads with razorblades are fighting.

AdmiralDick
16-07-2008, 14:16
one of the reasons that GW have given in the past is that whenever anyone has pitched them an idea, the story line has been vastly unsuitable.

the simple truth is no man can save the universe. a single inquisitor can maybe hope to save a single system in his life time. but never the universe. and sadly unless something is universal in its feel it is infinitely less interesting to the general audience. so script writers put forward stories about how a single inquisitor or space marine saves the imperium and GW turn it down straight away.

it would not be impossible to do a 40k movie, but it would be exceptionally difficult, and GW would have to simply hand over their intellectual property to another company for them to interpret as they see fit. for the most part this has worked okay with EA's Warhammer online, but already the game looks and feels like a quite different version of the Warhammer World. if a movie was made the potential for differences would grow exponentially, and it may well be most people's lasting impression of the 40kiverse, which i don't think is something GW would be happy to let other people be in charge of.

it would seem possible for GW to commission a series of cinematic shorts, produced in different ways, similar to Clone Wars or Animatrix. but the money they would make back off such a project would be miniscule in comparison to the price they paid for it. however, such a venture might allow them a greater chance to have a 40k movie made, and a greater say over what can and can't be done in it.

Gorbad Ironclaw
16-07-2008, 14:26
personally i think that the HH novels would make excellent CG movies.

For anyone that isn't a 40k fan?

That's usually the problem (IMO) with the movie ideas thrown around. I do think that a movie set in the 40k setting could work, but it wouldn't have much to do with the game if it was.

It would have to focus on telling a proper story with the setting as the background it happens in. A movie about the setting I don't think will work nearly as well because really the only ones who will be really interested are the fans.

And I don't see making a credible story out of the Heresy in two hours, and equally I can't see a twenty hour version going much better.

Make a thriller focused on an Inquisitor or something like that, but you would have to leave the wargame at the door when you started writing the script I think. In essense I don't think you should write a 40k story, you should write a story in 40k.

PondaNagura
16-07-2008, 14:41
is it just me or have standards for movies been pushed a little here and there. well not just movies but tv ratings as well. has anyone actually watched cartoons recently...

like what we would have considered a a borderline R rated movie, is bumped down to pg-13, adult language and violence just isn't R these days, content yes.
titan ae: first 5 mins, earth gets decimated. last 10 mins, you see some alien get his neck snapped, and rag doll body thrown down some stairs. rating PG-13.

i think there's a decent amount of content and violence that can slip into the movies, that would allow a pg-13 (low R) movie to be seen by kids. granted i'm still shooting for the mini-movies rather than feature length film idea.

ScooterinAB
17-07-2008, 05:15
I just want to say that everytime someone talks about a 40k movie, God kills like, 30 kittens.

This debate has been waging for many years, and is now actually further away from happening. Damnatus anyone?

Warp Zero
17-07-2008, 07:46
A lot of the misunderstanding about this topic revolves around the fact that most talking about it don't know enough about how movies are made.

This is a huge topic and I can write pages and pages on it. But I'll just give you my quick abridged version of it.

1.) Why doesn't GW make a 40k movie?

GW is not a movie studio. In order to make a movie, they would have to make a deal with an existing movie studio. Example: Dark Horse comics didn't make Hellboy, Universal did. A studio has to be interested in your IP if its to be made into a movie. If they wanted to invest into one entirely on their own, they could. But that would mean that they had an extra 100 million plus laying around not being used.

2.) 40k is too niche to bring in a wide audience and make money.

Yes, its niche, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be made. Iron Man made a ton of money and that was niche too. There's a lot of niche things that have made good profits on the big screen. Audience respond when its a good movie. Niche or not. Make it a good movie, they'll come.

3.) The way the fluff is written, it would be impossible to make a 40k movie.

I disagree. The 40k movie doesn't have to explore ALL THE FLUFF in the first movie. Its like saying we can't do X-Men or Spiderman because there's too much lore and too many villians to cover. The first 40k movie doesn't have to have Orks, Tyranids, Eldar, Tau, and the kitchen sink in it. The Tolkien world is crazy dense too....and yet, LOTR did fine.

4.) "X" novel would make a great movie.

Probably not. Most of these books are written to be books. Not 2 hour movie screenplays. While they are good stories, it doesn't mean they'll fit into the movie format well. Maybe in a high budget HBO mini-series...but doubtful. With all the FX, not really feasible.

5.) I know a live action movie would be too expensive, but how about a CGI cartoon?

A good CGI film would cost even more than a live action film. You don't want to see the price tag on the Final Fantasy Spirits Within movie. It hurts your soul.

Alright, I've said my two cents....later! :D

Goq Gar
17-07-2008, 07:50
Because I have dibs, thats why!

:p

mattman1991
17-07-2008, 08:53
Gaunt's Ghosts could have a lot in common with band of brothers. Having that same kind of filing, writing, and story could be good for GW. If you see the movie, you may be introduced to the games/books/anything else. Which honeslty is what GW needs to, get more people looking at their kick ass products.

Royal Tiger
17-07-2008, 09:08
For anyone that isn't a 40k fan?
they either
a: look at the advert and go "wow looks awesome, might go see that"
or
b: think "what the hell is warhammer?, sounds crap, I ain't goin, I'm fonna see too fast too furious:Chav edition instead" and GW lose lots and lots of money

I just want to say that every time someone talks about a 40k movie, God kills like, 30 kittens.
actually I asked him, he said it was 32 and a half...........don't ask about the half.....no really DON'T

Mawchild
17-07-2008, 10:27
Don't forget there are more people into the 40K universe than currently play the actual tabletop game. Dawn of War players, BL readers not to mention those that still have a soft spot for the game even though they may not have played for years. IMO GW would be better off investing in a TV show that could run once a week for 90 mins on one of the cable channels for two 20 week seasons. I mean seriously some of the stuff that airs on them is ridiculous.
Anyway this show could involve everything to do with the GW world, it should have 2 featured leagues, with a featured match and a round up of the others from each, BL reviews, creature features, masterclasses, a couple of decent presenters and the odd guest. It could have special reports from games days etc. Also it should have a short 10 min show within a show ie an animation of some description which would show the potential for a 40k/WH movie (the simpsons started out as a short segment on the Tracey Ulman show after all). Given the enormity of artistic talent at GW something along the lines of the "broken saints" format but with say John Blanche doing the artwork and Dan Abnett writing it would be incredible. The only proviso is that such a show in no way becomes white dwarf on TV. I'm sure this would be a far cheaper and useful approach then an all or nothing movie that would be more likely to break than make the company.
Just a thought anyway, though I think on this occasion one of my more viable.

Sikkukkut
17-07-2008, 12:35
um, GW already sold off a chuck of their IP, when they sold off dark heresy and all the sub-games (well not the manufacturing part, but a good deal of the fluff).

They didn't sell it, they licensed it. Big difference.

waaaghmasta
17-07-2008, 14:55
Such topics emerges by month or week?

It would turned into a totally disaster if a director with absoulte no idea about 40k decided to add his "personal reflection" into the movie. Which he will.

Royal Tiger
17-07-2008, 17:16
It would turned into a totally disaster if a director with absoulte no idea about 40k decided to add his "personal reflection" into the movie. Which he will.
or if Michael Bay did it *shivers from horror*

Ekranoplan
17-07-2008, 17:36
I think a 40k movie could work. Its all about the writing. Any movie, weather it be independent, high budget, low budget, and what have you, can succeed or fail solely based on the writing. If a movie has a good writer it will generally succeed regardless, and if it has bad writers it wont. (though it could still make a profit if its high budget and from Hollywood, summer blockbusters are a good example of this)

GW just needs to find some competent talent that knows how to budget a limited source of funding, use clever writing techniques to convey the 41st millenium, and good cinematography to make everything look the way its suppose to, and not cheesy. This "competent talent" is probably far more likely to try and seek out GW with a movie proposal, as I dont think GW has any interest in a movie in the near future.

Häxjägare
17-07-2008, 20:12
I would like a movie, but doubt they could do it justices.

Just check Hellblazer and Constantine to see what Hollywood can do with some dark fiction when they decicde to mainstream it.

Danny Internet
17-07-2008, 20:26
The Emperor - Steven Seagal
Horus - Michael Chiklis
Eldrad - Christopher Walken
Ghazghkull - Ron Pearlman

awwww yeah.

borithan
17-07-2008, 21:55
too fast too furious:Chav edition
Oi! Don't you know you are committing an act of class hatred with that term?

A rumour, which I mentioned in another thread about this, was that Stephen Spielberg approached GW about doing a film... personally doubt it, as I really cannot see it.

Alessander
17-07-2008, 21:58
GW was making a CGI movie based on the Bloodquest graphic novels, but when the "Final Fantasy" movie flopped in theaters, GW pulled the plug. Final Fantasy's financial flop proved there is not enough market for sci-fi CGI movies that are not aimed at kiddies, so your only option would be a PG rated 40K movie, with fart jokes.

Durath
17-07-2008, 22:12
There's no way they could possibly do one that would work. The background is far too dark and pessimistic for mainstream movie, especially one aimed at the early teen audience which is what they’d be after.

The only way to do it would be to butcher it so much that it could hardly be called 40k. Let us pray it never ever ever is made…

One of the top movie franchises ever, is also one of the most dark and quite pessimistic.... the Matrix 1, 2 and 3 (note: things get a little happier at the end of the third one, but is still tragic).

There are many shared concepts in the Matrix and in 40k mythos to greater or lesser degrees.

The assertion that dark, pessimistic movies can't be considered 'mainstream' is a unfounded.

A 40k movie would neither require GW to spend money (as a production studio would probably front the cash), nor be automatically butchered (depends on the screenwriter).

Hell, Event Horizon pretty much IS a 40k movie. The only reason it didn't do well was a weak cast, and an underfunded ad-drive.

HsojVvad
17-07-2008, 22:23
Had this discusion with the guys at GW store when I picked up my 5th edtion. He basically said that they get approached all the time to make the movie. The big problem is that they want GW to give up their rights to 40k so they can make merchandise of it.

When GW say they will not give up the rights, the movie guys walk away. I can understand GW, I wouldn't give up the rights either.

I guess it just costs too much money to make a movie, even CGI, so unless you already in the movie buisness, it's just to much to produce with little return.

Royal Tiger
17-07-2008, 22:29
Oi! Don't you know you are committing an act of class hatred with that term?
Class hatred, thats a good one
I could go on, but its off topic, so I won't

Waywatcher-
17-07-2008, 22:32
Because it would be terrible, they would use loads of flashy effects ect but then thed do sommit wroing withthe story line to make it sell better and we would all get annoyed, and thed make it a 12a so it would be unrealistic.Keep with the books.

Waywatcher-

Warp Zero
17-07-2008, 22:33
Hell, Event Horizon pretty much IS a 40k movie. The only reason it didn't do well was a weak cast, and an underfunded ad-drive.

Uhm....heh heh....no, I think there was a lot more things that made the movie not do as well than just cast and ads.

Durath
17-07-2008, 22:38
Uhm....heh heh....no, I think there was a lot more things that made the movie not do as well than just cast and ads.

This is a bit off topic, but I very much enjoyed the movie. I thought it was a good blend of sci-fi and horror.

CheatChu
17-07-2008, 22:42
Its not a financial issue its a studio issue. Studios have the recourses that companies cant just hire, and they offer inside assistance with things like ratings, and music royalties. This is the case with other games that are receiving movies like halo, and gears. The studio's are paying in entirety to have them made, and they pay royalties to the companies for the rights.

Danny Internet
17-07-2008, 22:52
This is a bit off topic, but I very much enjoyed the movie. I thought it was a good blend of sci-fi and horror.

Any movie with a graphic explosive decompression scene is OK in my book

robertsjf
17-07-2008, 23:43

Amen, Brother!

BigRob
18-07-2008, 06:49

And thats what fans would want in a GW movie. But it can not happen since the movie will be aimed at kiddies who have rich parents to make them buy the model.

"Holy Imperium Captain, that chaos/tyranid/ork is unstoppable!"

"Wait here come sthe super mega dreadnaught of power, now with rotating arm cannons and light up face. Watch him fight in this ludicrously OTT CGI scene featuring hundreds of vehicles and warriors we've never seen before!"

"Wow captain, that things so good I'll tell the boys to all go out and buy 12!"

GW need to make a movie that sells product otherwise it wont do them any good. People dont make films just for fun (well, not good films anyway....)