PDA

View Full Version : GW on Look North :D

cpl_hicks
15-07-2008, 23:20
Was watching the local news today and GW Lincoln was on (Not My local). It was all to do with Lincoln being named as a nerd hotspot.

I think the clip was going okay until the Blueshirt spoke :p, and when the clip fadded when he happened to say these are orks and goblins, made it look like the camera man had fallen asleep

Clip (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7508549.stm)

alexh
15-07-2008, 23:39
I found it ironic that they asked a guy with a 'wifebeater tan' for his opinions of nerds.

Shamfrit
15-07-2008, 23:54
They're called Blue Shirts now?!

cpl_hicks
16-07-2008, 00:08
They have shirts that are blue, so blueshirts before that they where blackshirts and before that they where redshirts :D

Shamfrit
16-07-2008, 00:13
They were wearing Red Shirts when I went into GW Dublin in what, March?

Blue is sooo...ughhh.

nurgle_boy
16-07-2008, 00:50
i believe that the blackshirts are just for managers and higher-rankers as it were, whilst the post redshirts get lumped with blue...

Either way, i died a little inside when watching that, after in my head a voice chimed 'Its a baneblade! he's painting a baneblade on tv! SQUEEEEE'.
I realised I dont deserve to live after thinking that :p

and the people they asked?
what... one group of chavs, an odd bloke, and a guy who looks a little bit like a dealer...
way to give us a good impression BBC XD

Fenriz
16-07-2008, 01:15
*facepalm*

Its stuff like that which makes me feel dirty mentioning GW outside of here.

firestorm40k
16-07-2008, 06:58
What does it say about the North of England that this is news worthy? :wtf:

Actually, when there are reports like this there's a faintly arrogant/condescending tone that annoys me, lik'ooh look at him, he's painting toy soldiers, what a fool to waste their time on sucha pointless pursuit! Now excuse me, I'm going to spend 2000 on a few metal poles to hit a tiny ball in to a tiny hole on a course that used to be an area of wilderness that was home to loads of wildlife. Then I'm going to spend another 1000 on going to see some men kick a ball around. Etc. etc.'

Not that I'm negatively passing judgement on other people's hobbies, but the attitude that can come across in these kind of reports makes me wish someone would do the same for other popular past-times.

I mean, boy racers, wtf is up with that??!?? Putting plastic trim, an exhaust that sounds like a baked bean tin, alloy wheels and a massive, ******* spoiler on your little Peugeot isn't going to turn it in to an F-1 car, for the love of crumb cake! [/rant]

But like I said, mocking other people's hobbies is a waste of time :p

RevEv
16-07-2008, 09:02
I mean, boy racers, wtf is up with that??!?? Putting plastic trim, an exhaust that sounds like a baked bean tin, alloy wheels and a massive, ****** spoiler on your little Peugeot isn't going to turn it in to an F-1 car, for the love of crumb cake! [/rant]

:p

Agreed - it's when they then take their pimped up cars to the local supermarket car park to show them off that gets me. There's a few here where I work. One guy is having an exhaust system fitted that costs more than the car it's on, and another is pimping a Rover 100, aka Mini Metro... and they call us sad!

As to the clip (yet to see, blocked at work:cries:), I'm not surprised - what else is there to do in Lincoln?

Jedi152
16-07-2008, 09:06
Walk up and down hills? :D

Binky
16-07-2008, 09:24
Just came across this news article\video on the BBC

Lincoln is nerd hotspot (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7508549.stm)

Can't actually listen to it myself as I'm in work, but appears to feature GW quite heavily, though may not be entirely complimentary based on the title, thought it might be of interest though. Also, wouldn't mind a quick overview of what they actually say!

Jahred
16-07-2008, 10:09
Just watched it.

Its not actually negative (apart from the Title). Basically, Lincoln has been named the most geeky town in the North so they presenter talks to a bloke in Games-Workshop, the comic shop owner and then some of the general public.

OrlyggJafnakol
16-07-2008, 10:12
I've just watched it and its nothing more than a tongue in cheek style 'light' report. Judging by the wide range of things the report touches on, practically anything has the 'geek' effect, from comics to HDTV.

GW do feature, and I feel, in a very positive way. The only thing of real note is the 'objective' choice of interviewees by the BBC. Just watch the clip and see what I mean. However, they are all very positive about the rights of a 'geek' to do whatever they wish. Ultimately, geeks rule the world... So what is so bad about being one?

floyd pinkerton
16-07-2008, 10:50
does anyone know which "look north" it was on, it's just the one here in Hull is different to the one up north in Middlesborough, and I didn't see this even though the one we watch also covers most of lincolnshire :confused:

Llew
16-07-2008, 15:25
That was a pretty kind spot really.

And do you UK nerds realize that if you guys came over here with your cool accents*, that you could rule the nerd kingdom over here? Discussing toy soldiers and comics still sounds almost cool when you guys do it.

* Yes, I know that technically *we* have the accents since you guys are the "real" English speakers.

Jedi152
16-07-2008, 15:39
US girls apparently love the accent too ... if i was 10 years younger *sigh*.

Lars Porsenna
16-07-2008, 16:02
I mean, boy racers, wtf is up with that??!?? Putting plastic trim, an exhaust that sounds like a baked bean tin, alloy wheels and a massive, ****** spoiler on your little Peugeot isn't going to turn it in to an F-1 car, for the love of crumb cake! [/rant]

I'm glad to see this culture exported to more areas than just the US. Except over here they're "blinging out" their '90s Honda Civics...

BTW, forgot to add the patched of primer red on the paintjob, along with the spinner hubcaps...

Thanks all, I now know what a chav is... :)

Damon.

Bigbot
16-07-2008, 16:52
Personally I thought it was a fairly balanced report with some good humour in there

heretics bane
16-07-2008, 17:01
Agreed - it's when they then take their pimped up cars to the local supermarket car park to show them off that gets me. There's a few here where I work. One guy is having an exhaust system fitted that costs more than the car it's on, and another is pimping a Rover 100, aka Mini Metro... and they call us sad!

As to the clip (yet to see, blocked at work:cries:), I'm not surprised - what else is there to do in Lincoln?

QFT- there, up my way there into the 60cc,hairdryer mopeds with loud crappy exhaust pipes which they like to makealot of noise as they travel at full speed....usually just below 25-it-would-be-faster-if-you-walked-it mph:rolleyes:

OT: The news dude strikes me as a right b***** to be honest.

As for the colour of shirts, blue are the older variety that are gradualy being phased out IIRC for the Red ones and black=manager.

Grimtuff
16-07-2008, 17:27
I think the clip was going okay until the Blueshirt spoke :p

Oi! That's my mate you're talking about okay? ;)

Though I did laugh out loud when I saw him on telly, shouting "look! look! It's Dancing Leroy!"*

*Adam used to be a Dance teacher, hence the silly nickname. :p

Brother Lysander
16-07-2008, 17:56
Given the crux of report, they could have at least had a go at defining what they meant by 'geek/y'. Not that it isn't easier to just fall back on cliche and stereotypes. I went to uni in Lincoln a few years ago. Can't say it ever struck me as being a 'geeky' place whilst I was there, though I also can't say I ever really looked into it. Still, it was good to watch the video if only to see the place again (I've never been back).

BL

Wolflord Havoc
16-07-2008, 17:57
Hmm go easy on the reporter - that Simon Spark is just bitter because it takes him a long time to wash his face in the morning.

cpl_hicks
16-07-2008, 23:41
does anyone know which "look north" it was on, it's just the one here in Hull is different to the one up north in Middlesborough, and I didn't see this even though the one we watch also covers most of lincolnshire :confused:

I am from Grimsby, so it should be the same one you get in Hull, just being over the water and all that. The one with Peter Levey and Paul Hudson

Gazak Blacktoof
16-07-2008, 23:59
"Each to their own innit" never a truer word said. Three cheers for that man!

Wolf Scout Ewan
17-07-2008, 00:21
Pretty condescending imho. Typical BBC crap.

On a side note I was walking towards GW in Hull a couple of years ago and someone started shouting "Easy Levey" at the Newsreader as he was going in the oppsite direction.