PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Imperial Guard Regiments

Plastic Rat
16-07-2008, 09:53
So I want to start an Imperial Guard army. I really love the look of Vostroyans, but they're A) expensive B) Hard to get hold of and C) look like a pain in the butt to paint. My LGS has a command squad and one 10 man squad in stock. I was thinking of buying them and using them for my command squad and dump the 10 man into a chimera as one troops choice. Then make my other troops platoon out of Cadians. I quite like the Cadians look as well and it would be great to have a mixture, but I'm not sure I'd be able to build full armies of both. Especially since Steel Legion also look kinda cool and I wouldn't mind a few squads of them.

Questions: What's the etiquette here amongst guard players? Is it cool to mix different regiments in your army? Does it fit with the fluff? Do most Guard players focus only on one regiment or do they mix up a bunch of different ones in an army?

SylverClaw
16-07-2008, 10:12
It's your army. You should do what you want!

As for fluff, that's easy - companies and regiments get ground down in battles and, as in many books, you'll see several different companies effectively merging until the present conflict is over. My advice would be to keep the colour scheme different for each of these "forces" to give the whole army a sort of rag tag look, like they've come from completely different armies.

On the flip side, if you want a uniform scheme, then come up with something else... lets see... Vostroyans are the nobles on the world your army comes from... Cadians are line troopers, regular guys... and the steel legion is maybe made up of indentured forge workers or manufacturing cartel leevy troopers (to explain their gas-gear).

soul destroyer
16-07-2008, 10:44
Can't see any problems mixing regiments. My IG army has a real mixture of troops, cadians for rank and file guardsmen, death korps for rough riders, steel legion as veterans/armoured fist squad and catachans as conscripts.

At the end of the day its your army do what you like and give any nay sayers the finger.

Plastic Rat
16-07-2008, 10:55
At the end of the day its your army do what you like and give any nay sayers the finger.

Right.. I still just want to make something that's cool, fits with the fluff and is more likely to be fun to play against than something that requires me to give the finger to anyone.

From what I've seen in the Gaunt's Ghosts novels, The Imperium tends to mix regiments involved in engagements based on different strengths or even simply what is available at the time. It seems like you could have a few units of troops from one or two regiments supported by Sentinels from another regiment and a few Leman Russes from a regiment specializing in armor.

Depending on how big the battle is and how long it's been going on, I'd expect to see rag-tag mixes of a bunch of different regiments all working together under one strategic command.

Is this correct?

Bloodknight
16-07-2008, 11:04
The 2nd ed. codex encouraged mixing of troops actively - at one point I had at least one platoon of every available Guard regiments, but I sold them off and concentrated on Mordians. The main thing you should keep in mind is to use some unifying colours or the army becomes some not really aesthetically pleasing rabble on the table - which is pretty much the only reason why I sold the rest except the Catachans who made it into a DWV army by themselves (I don't own that anymore either...due to lack of opponents who'd want to play a jungle fight).

Latro_
16-07-2008, 11:07
I did it once,Tallarns, Cadians, Catachans all in a red and black theme. Looked shocking.
I'd stick to one regiment if i were you.

koni
16-07-2008, 11:13
what i would do is model and paint them all like they had been fighting non-stop for months (muddy, lot of bandages, just down right messy) and then give them armbands with a single colour to tie them together, and what you get is basically "left-overs" regiment

EVIL INC
16-07-2008, 12:59
It is up to you. Your army, your choice on what to do.
Personally, I would keep the command as it is because of course, it IS the command squad. Likewise, they would be the ones to have the fancy looking equipment. Comsider it a commander that has been assigned to a new outfit. The10 man squad you could either keep seperate as trade in models for when you want to mix up the build of your command squad or keep seperate as a veteran or stormtroop (better choice) squad that the commander brought with him from his old command. Maybe convert the sergeant from the 10 man squad into a lesser officer and have a second command squad who came with the overall commander from his old outfit, again, having extra men left over to trade in for different builds.

Norsehawk
16-07-2008, 13:12
It should be fine, as long as you can state a good reason why they are all together like that. Here is that good reason: Inquisitors are known to 'acquire' just about anything that they want, from vehicles to regiments of troops. The above mentioned inquisitor is fighting somewhere else on the battlefield so is not making an appearance in this battle.

Now the difficult part. By fluff, vossies have the carapace doctrine. Your army would have to follow the exact same doctrine setup across the board, which would mean giving your whole army carapace, or counting the carapace they are wearing as normal armor.

On the other hand, In Apoc, you really should have no real problems counting your troops as whatever they look like with different doctrines for each type of trooper. As long as it is clear and approved by your opponnent

scarvet
16-07-2008, 13:31
Guard tend to fight with other regiment in lots of 40k novels; Those are mostly major war-zones/crusade. In game terms, it will be good enough if each regiment is representing different unit/platoon.

projectkmo
16-07-2008, 13:45
I've got a mess of Guard from all different walks of the universe... Tallarn, Vostroyan, Steel Legion, Cadian, and some DKoK....

I'm hoping... and from what I hear... it appears that the next codex may allow for mixed army's too....relaxing the way doctrines are currently handled... or so I hear.

Eternus
16-07-2008, 14:08
I have a mix of models in my guard army - All the Regimental Command models wear formal uniform, mainly using old Commissar models, though I have Mordian Lascannon and Mortar Squads, and Praetorian Anti-Infantry, to keep a formal feel for the Command Platoon, but the rest of the Regiment are mainly Catachan models, with some Tallarn thrown in for variety.

My Regiment's homeworld operates a feudal system, with the upper classes making up the Command echlon, and the commoners making up the bulk of the fighters - they are also stealthers, so the Tallarn models look good all wrapped up in camo, rather than sudo-Arabian style gear.

This whole set up wasn't deliberate, but it seems ok to me.

Norsehawk
16-07-2008, 14:20
Well, it doesn't help much that most of the gw regiments come from single biome planets. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SingleBiomePlanet It seems to come down to ice planet, jungle planet, desert planet, ect with no possibility that like earth there are different parts of a planet with different climates.

projectkmo
16-07-2008, 14:38
Well, it doesn't help much that most of the gw regiments come from single biome planets. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SingleBiomePlanet It seems to come down to ice planet, jungle planet, desert planet, ect with no possibility that like earth there are different parts of a planet with different climates.

Exactly...

see...in the Fluff for my army... which is ummm...currently unpublished..

anyway.. I have City Fighters, Desert/Plains/Tundra fighters, Cold weather fighters etc....

Which is why I'm hoping the new IG dex will allow for mixed army's...

Like if I play a game on a board with some flat areas.. and then a city/ruins area... I would feild some city fighters (Prolly, SL or Cadian Models) and some Desert/Plains fighters (Prolly Tallarn/Attilans) and not only for their looks... But Hopefully for their abilities...err at least I hope the new Dex allows for such an army....legally.

- John