PDA

View Full Version : Anyone bought the Gamer's edition

Latro_
16-07-2008, 12:02
Not bought my copy of the new rules yet! i know shocking.
Was gonna order online today but am unsure if I should go for the rule book or the gamer's edition with the box and stuff. Seems a bit steep an extra 30 for a metal box and a few templates.

Is it worth getting or better just to get the vanillia rule book? I have flamer templates an all that already.

DarthSte
16-07-2008, 12:05
Think the templates would cost 12. So it really depends whether you're willing to spend 18 on a cooler but smaller army case than usual. I have it. I like it.

Latro_
16-07-2008, 12:11
How many models can you fit in the lil metal case?

x-esiv-4c
16-07-2008, 12:12
Wondering that myself...

marv335
16-07-2008, 12:14
I got one, I think it's worth it. I've not found a use for it yet, but it's way cool.
Someone I know is planning to build a laptop into his. If he ever pulls it off I'll post picks.
I reckon it'll take two trays.
:edit:
Nope, not big enough, I'll have to come up with something else to use it as.
Maybe a case for my paints.

The Highlander
16-07-2008, 12:18
The metal case comes with two 'bumpy' sheets of foam, no space for models. You might be able to fit two or three on the 'standard' foam trays in. It is pretty heavy, but looks dead cool!

DarthSte
16-07-2008, 12:21
Depth wise, I think you'd be able to fit in three standard trays, but they are larger than the area, so you'd have to cut them to fit.

Yayale
16-07-2008, 12:32
darnit tht kinda puts me off buying it, I was seriously considering buying it. Anyone know where you could get foam from to make trays? Saying that can I be bothered to cut them out lol.
Also my reason for not already buying it is im a college student and it's not pay day til monday and I spent all my money on beer!

Lycannus
16-07-2008, 12:38
I use mine to store the markers, templates, dice and things.
Pretty handy, and it looks cool!

Sai-Lauren
16-07-2008, 12:54
It's pretty cool, although I'm going to take the foam out and probably use it for holding things like templates, counters, dice and tape measures. Don't need it for carrying rulebooks, I've got a laptop rucksack that's perfect for them.

Give Figures In Comfort (http://www.figuresincomfort.co.uk/) a couple of weeks, I'm sure they'll have something available for it.

Norsehawk
16-07-2008, 13:06
I have the metal case and it was a bit smaller than I expected, Unless you had a really elite army, you aren't going to be carrying a whole army in the box. On the upside, it is metal and relatively heavy, so it is just about perfect for whacking a rules lawyer with.

Latro_
16-07-2008, 13:25
Hmm, debating if to get it or not now. Anyone got any pics of it?

Poseidal
16-07-2008, 14:12
The foam is in the style of the old citadel cases, so there shouldn't be a problem carrying minis if the old ones were ok for you.

The size is slighly larger than the rulebook (but a lot deeper for the foam). I can't get pics at the moment as I'm not at home though.

eek107
16-07-2008, 14:23
It's good for carrying rulebook, codex, army lists, summaries etc. That's what I use it for, and there's enough space left for templates and such.

Couple of pics:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a321/eek_107/GWcase1.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a321/eek_107/GWcase2.jpg

DarthSte
16-07-2008, 14:31
It's pretty cool, although I'm going to take the foam out and probably use it for holding things like templates, counters, dice and tape measures. Don't need it for carrying rulebooks, I've got a laptop rucksack that's perfect for them.

Give Figures In Comfort (http://www.figuresincomfort.co.uk/) a couple of weeks, I'm sure they'll have something available for it.

Thanks for the link. Not seen them before. Very useful!

Templar Ben
16-07-2008, 14:39
I bought several. I have found that many of the players in the UK prefer the US price even with shipping.

Here are some photos. Hope they help.

alexh
16-07-2008, 15:01
I got one cos I'm a sucker for shiny things. I'm considering using it as a lunch box for when I start my new job next month (the temptation to also take my hard bow case and ask my boss to set my desk up on the roof is proving difficult to ignore :D).

mcl
16-07-2008, 15:02
I have one and I admit to being underwhelmed.

The box is of a size that precludes the use of standard foam sizes and the foam supplied isnt immediately useful (for myself).

I have better carrying bags for rules etc - the box is not particularly useful in that regard either.

The counters are ok but are quite brittle. Not sure if we will use them.

So on the whole... not as useful as I first hoped. But we shall see how it goes - my initial impression may be negative but I will be looking to make best use of it all (box, counters & templates) even so.

AfroCelt
16-07-2008, 16:17
I've got a friend thinking about modifying it for a laptop carrying case...though he is worried about taking it for business trips :P .

Durath
16-07-2008, 16:35
I bought several. I have found that many of the players in the UK prefer the US price even with shipping.

Here are some photos. Hope they help.

I bought one as well.

The box isn't very practical for transporting minis. The foam is also impractical for minis (you will need to do some cutting to make it work).

Thus, I've found its best use... transporting the markers that come with the edition in another plastic organizer that fits inside, and my tape measure, templates, markerlights and dice.

Latro_
16-07-2008, 18:12
cheers for the pics chaps. Think i'll give it a miss and go for the standard rule book. 30 more for beer woo

MrGiggles
16-07-2008, 22:03
My buddy and I both got one. He thought it was cool. I mainly picked it up because I don't have any templates yet. I've got an Army Transport for my Orks, but my landlady' son is starting Smurfs, so I figured he could give the case a home until his army outgrows it.