PDA

View Full Version : Transforming Tomb Kings Army

amagi
30-10-2005, 09:09
This army is designed to have a very decent shooting phase while giving up little or no combat ability. It has, potentially, 84 shots per turn. Or 50 if I don't get the shooting Incantations off.
It is not a defending shooting army, although if need be it can sit back and shoot quite well. But it can also advance forward just as fast as any infantry-based Tomb Kings army, while at the same time shooting just as strongly as if it stood still. And it has a very solid battle line with plenty of supporting units capable of rank-negating flank charges.

The key to playing this army is deploying the 2 units of 17 archers in single ranks, forming one very long line of shooters. The 2 pure-combat infantry units deploy behind this line. Like so:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
TTTTT SSSSS
TTTTT SSSSS
TTTTT SSSSS
SSSSS
Then, when the enemy gets near, the archers reform to 4 ranks. Because the centers of the archer units are a bit to the side of the combat units, the archers will now be block units nicely placed on either side of the main combat units. The two combat units now move up a couple of inches to form one line of 4 block infantry units. The archers now serve 2 purposes:
----They can take a charge from just about anything and hold for at least one round, allowing one of the many supporting units to flank the enemy.
----They can themselves flank units that charge the middle two pure-combat units.

Here is the list:
--------------------------------------------------
Total pts. 2000

319----Tomb King, on a Chariot, great weapon, shield
Armour of the Ages (heavy armour, +1 Wound)
Golden Eye of Rah-Nutt (Chariot gets 5+ Ward Save, is not destroyed by S7 wounds)
Icon of Rulership (Chariot gets +1 Unit Strength, so negates ranks on a flank)
Vambraces of the Sun (one model in base contact loses one attack)

165----Liche Priest, Hierophant, 2 Dispel Scrolls
160----Liche Priest,
Staff of Ravening (Bound Item, Power Level 4, magic missle, 3D6 S2 hits)

264----20 Tomb Guard, Champion, Standard Bearer

270----25 Skeleton Warriors, Champion, Standard Bearer
spears, light armour, shields

136----17 Skeleton Warriors

120----3 Chariots
120----3 Chariots

70-----5 Skeleton Light Horsemen

85-----1 Tomb Scorpion
85-----1 Tomb Scorpion

The TK on a Chariot is perfect for this list, because not only can he flank and negate ranks, but most often he will deploy behind one of the archer units. This protects him from shooting/magic missles, but allows him to suddenly be exposed and ready to charge when the archer unit reforms. Without a Ward Save and with only mediocre armour, he'll want to avoid the tougher characters out there, but he's designed to go after basic troops. Still, with T5 and 4 S7 Attacks, he can hold his own against most threats. And with 5 wounds, I should have a chance to let the Priests regenerate any wounds he loses. I believe they can even regenerate his Chariot if it is destroyed but he is still there.

People generally use archers in several small units, due to their weakness in combat. But I strongly believe that in the proper context, they can be extremely effective in these medium-sized units. The key point is that they will remain alive for at least 1 (and sometimes many more) combat rounds against the large majority of enemy units. The many possible flanking units in this army mean that often, the archers pinning an enemy unit for merely 1 round will be enough for me to move in and flank.

And this amount of shooting can be devastating, even at only Strength 3 with 5+ to hit. Additionally, I have a respectable amount of magic, with 4 guaranteed spells to make the archers shoot twice, and a bound spell to use up the enemy's dispel dice or scrolls.

The Tomb Scorpions give the list some flexibility, as they can serve many different roles. They can use their tunneling ability to pop up behind enemy lines and go after missle troops, war machines, or wizards. They can march block to help me get more rounds of shooting in. They can intercept and hold up or destroy light units, thereby protecting my flanks. And they can charge in to help my other units by adding attacks and Unit Strength.

What do you think?

Wintersdark
30-10-2005, 10:25
I like your lists :)

TK shooting is very effective. It doesn't sound like it would be, but that flat 5+ to hit isn't as bad as it seems. Typically, BS3 troops hit on 5's most of the time themselves, but it gets much worse fast if they are moving and shooting and/or firing at skirmishers etc. This list would make my WE nervous - that shooting still hitting my soft skirmishers hiding in the woods on 5's? At long range while moving? Ack!

Being undead, I can't remove a unit on the charge either, giving you the option of a countercharge.

The scorpions, chariots, and horsemen provide a solid offensive punch, the scorpions in particular as you say adding a lot of flexibility.

Tomb Scorpions are INCREDIBLY good critters.

The only thing I'd do is I absolutely would - with no doubt in my mind here - get the banner of the undying legion on those Tomb Guard. I can't begin to say how good that banner is, particularly in a list like this. Not only does it get you another casting (further straining your opponents ability to dispel things) it insures that your TK unit never loses it's champion(for long); and can shrug off any shooting. I'd do that even if it meant reducing the TG unit size, or anything else.

That banner is both very useful for what it does, and for the boost it gives your magic phase. Don't leave home without it.

Tobias
30-10-2005, 15:02
Nice list, onlu your Tk has too much talismans ;) cna only have 1

amagi
30-10-2005, 15:07
I only have 1 Talisman, and the Icon of Rulership allows you to take a second Enchanted Item, which I did.

Thanks for the comments people.
And as for the Banner of the Undying Legion--I agree, I'd really love to fit that in. I'll look the list over later and see what I can drop.

By the way, I tested this army against an excellent Knight- and Pistolier-heavy Empire army with a Steam Tank yesterday, and it performed marvelously. I won with a Minor Victory. I'll post details of that battle later.

Lord Anathir
30-10-2005, 16:16
looks good...but if ur looking for a good shooting phase...why not get a skull catapult?

Latro
30-10-2005, 16:20
The army looks fine as it is.

The only thing that might come around to bite you is the lack of units that can reliably dish out punnishment. If you find yourself in a fight against units that don't really give a damn about non-combat CR, your units will struggle.

Your Tomb King can hit hard, but Tomb Guard not enough. Maybe change them for another armoured skeleton unit (no spears needed) and see if you can fit some Ushabtis in.

... that's the only thing that pops to mind right now.

amagi
30-10-2005, 16:39
@Anathir, I thought about the Catapult, but it doesn't fit the theme or strategy of the army. I think the big-reforming-archer unit concept only works if you make sure you've got plenty of support units. I tried to put every spare point into having enough units to reliably hit anything my archers pin. My aim with this army was to have something that could be viewed as an effective combat army even disregarding all the shots. I think this qualifies. The fact that I could also fit in so many shots (50-84 per turn) is a nice bonus.

@Latro, You know, I worried about "dishing out punishment" too. But I decided that 2 Scorpions and the S7 King is plenty.
I just took down the toughest version of the Steam Tank, after all!!!

Anything that's so tough as to need more power than I've got probably isn't much of a threat to my main infantry units anyway (big monsters, etc.), at least not head on.
As for tough units that don't care about CR, I can't think of many. Slayers or Flagellants? Hah!! Let them walk up to me through 4 or 5 turns of 84 shots per turn. Stubborn units? Again, mostly either slow (e.g. Greatswords, Hammerers, Temple Guard) or weakly armoured low T (Eternal Guard, White Lions) infantry. Probably not a big threat. Besides, all of these Stubborn units are usually still subject to Fear, so I just have to win by 1 and outnumber.

Anyway, you make a good point, but I don't think it's a big deal.
And I like Tomb Guard too much to give them up for something else. Besides, a big block of armoured Skeletons is hardly any cheaper.

But certainly this big-archer-unit concept could work in some other lists, and you could try and see what you could fit in, with perhaps more of an emphasis on hitting power (Ushabtis, Bone Giant--these can still flank and negate ranks, so they fit well). I just went for more light units in this army to ensure that I have plenty of flankers available. I think this makes for a great combination of units. But I agree that it would be nice to have an Ushabti unit or something. If anyone comes up with a good variation on this list I'd be interested.

amagi
30-10-2005, 17:53
I have a question.

I'd like to fit the Banner of the Undying Legion in on the Tomb Guard, but I can't decide on what to drop.

Does anyone think this is worth it:

Drop 5 Skeleton Warriors from the unit of 25--this gives me 50 pts.
Now give the War Banner to the Skeleton Warriors
and the Banner of the Undying Legion to the Tomb Guard.

I'm leary of decreasing the size of the Skeleton Warriors, because obviously the bigger the better when it comes to Fear. But perhaps 20 is still enough, especially since the extra bound spell from the Banner of the Undying Legion also means that the Priests are more likely to raise back the Skeleton Warriors if needed.
The army is already designed to bring in supporting units to flank, which add Unit Strength.
And the guaranteed +1 CR from the War Banner is nice too. Also, I'd deploy the 20 SW in 5 ranks of 4, so as to get the most out of rank bonus.

What do you think?

EDIT: Wow, actually reading the unit entries really helps sometimes. I totally forgot that you can switch bows for shields for free. I thought you had to buy the spears with the shields for +1 pt.
OK, problem solved--dropped the spears on the SW, got the Banner. I didn't want the spears anyway, just the armour save.
Side note--anyone still think dropping about 5 Skeletons would be worth it to get the War Banner? I think not.
Anyway, here's the new list with the modifications:
Total pts. 2000

Golden Eye of Rah-Nutt (Chariot gets 5+ Ward Save, is not destroyed by S7 wounds)

160----Liche Priest,

289----20 Tomb Guard, Champion, Standard Bearer
Banner of the Undying Legion (Bound Spell, Power Level 3, Casts the raise dead spell on the unit)

245----25 Skeleton Warriors, Champion, Standard Bearer
light armour, shields

120----3 Chariots
120----3 Chariots

85-----1 Tomb Scorpion
85-----1 Tomb Scorpion

amagi
30-10-2005, 22:05
I couldn't resist displaying the Transforming powers of the army some more. I just figured out you could use Code to do this, so.....:rolleyes:

TK = Tomb King on Chariot
H = Skeleton Horsemen
C = Chariots

BEFORE:

CCCCC HHHH AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HHHH CCCCC
CCCCC HHHH TK TTTTT SSSSS HHHH CCCCC
TK TTTTT SSSSS
TTTTT SSSSS
SSSSS
Basically a TK Gunline.

AFTER:

CC CC
CC CC
CC CC
CC CC
HH AAAA TTTTT SSSSS AAAA HH
HH TK AAAA TTTTT SSSSS AAAA HH
HH TK AAAA TTTTT SSSSS AAAA HH
SSSSS
Anything that charges my infantry will die come next turn.
From "gunline" to fortress in one turn of repositioning.

Of course in any given game things will look a bit differently than this, and I left out the Scorpions, and a couple of the supporting flankers (Chariots, Horsemen) may very well be off on the sides doing other things, etc. etc., but you get the idea. Most often I will be well-positioned to flank anything that approaches my army, unless the opponent goes to great lengths to try and avoid this formation. In which case I've still accomplished my goal and forced him to put off a frontal assualt, probably allowing me to get in a staggering amount of shooting while he delays.

This is precisely what happened in the last game I played with this army. The Empire player had to put all his effort into trying to flank me and go after my supporting units before he could even think of confronting my infantry and archers. Even with an MSU army with plenty of Knights, Fast Cavalry, Skirmishers, and a flying character, he couldn't take out enough of my Horsemen and Chariots in time without taking very substantial losses from my shooting, marauding Scorpions, and the Tomb King, who very succesfully went out to intercept units rather than waiting at the flanks to support my infantry.

Only the Steam Tank dared a frontal assualt on my troops, and although it took me 6 turns to do it, I killed the thing through the combined efforts of a Scorpion (who was eventually squashed), the Tomb King, the Tomb Guard, and the archers in combat (they actually caused a few damage pts.!!). I didn't shoot at it at all, incidentally.
Conveniently, a bunch of Knights wrecked my TK's Chariot before he finished them off and then charged the Tank, or else he would have taken damage himself from running his Chariot into a metal wall. A Priest promptly raised the Chariot from nowhere after the TK had charged.:p

Most of his cavalry units tried going around my flanks, thereby avoiding the deadly but essentially fixed-forward firing zone of my archers. Terrain helped them to hide from the shooting as well. Still, they couldn't all hide forever, and some inevitably had to expose themselves. My shooting took down a Pistolier unit, shot the Pegasus out from under a Captain, panicked away an Archer unit, killed a Knight or two, and more generally, forced my opponent to take drastic evasive maneuvers.

In broad terms, what happened was he sent about half of his strongest forces around my left flank, leaving the Tank and three Knight units to approach from the front. A Pistolier unit, the flying Captain, and some Archers attempted to take my right flank--they all died or were taken out of the game, mostly from shooting.
Once my Archers, the King, and a Scorpion (that conveniently popped up behind a doomed Pistolier unit 3rd turn) had finished off the forces to my front and right flank, I basically just repositioned everything and suddenly had a completely full strength battle line facing my left flank, where his 4 or 5 flanking cavalry units and his Count were now useless.

Even though he didn't cause much damage to me (roughly, he killed a Scorpion, both Horsemen units, and Chariot unit, and did half damage to the other Scorpion and one archer unit) thanks to the low cost of his MSU units, I still didn't get that many points from him either.
So it was a Minor Victory for me.
It was an interesting game, and I definitely will be using this list again.:)
Almost makes me want to collect Tomb Kings. But Wood Elves are still cooler.

Approximately, here is the Empire list. It's a very strong list, I think, and nicely themed as well.
He used the new White Dwarf rules to give all the Knights pistols, so every model in the army could shoot (minus the Captain). Those pistols were deadly, and any of my light units that got caught within range quickly died.
------------------------------------------------
Elector Count, Warhorse

Captain, Pegasus

Steam Tank (no guns, just pure steamrolling power for maximum "wounds" of 29)

3 units of 10 Archers
1 unit of 10 Huntsmen

5 units of 5 Knights, with pistols
4 units of 6 Pistoliers, Champions with repeater pistols
------------------------------------------------
Plus or minus a cavalry unit--I don't remember the exact numbers.
Personally, I'd prefer using the same list with the Count on a Griffon instead of the Steam Tank.
Although, if I could fit both the Griffon and the Steam Tank...that would be pretty great. Maybe by dropping the Captain or a Knight unit. I'll have to get my hands on the Empire book.:)

Latro
30-10-2005, 22:28
Side note--anyone still think dropping about 5 Skeletons would be worth it to get the War Banner? I think not.

It's a matter of taste I guess:

- The larger unit _might_ give you the +1 due to outnumbering ...
- The Warbanner unit _will_ give you the +1 due to the magic item ...

Outnumbering the enemy in the combat shouldn't be a problem for both units anyway, since the battle-line is designed to trap the enemy between two units anyway.

On a sidenote: For an undead infantry unit that might have to survive on his own for a couple of turns I prefer to take units of 25, but for a unit that's part of a solid battle-line with magical back-uop nearby I find that 20 will do just as fine.

Anyway, here's the new list with the modifications:
Total pts. 2000

160----Liche Priest,

289----20 Tomb Guard, Champion, Standard Bearer
Banner of the Undying Legion (Bound Spell, Power Level 3, Casts the raise dead spell on the unit)

245----25 Skeleton Warriors, Champion, Standard Bearer
light armour, shields

120----3 Chariots
120----3 Chariots

85-----1 Tomb Scorpion
85-----1 Tomb Scorpion

Still a nice list ... I like the idea behind it so much in fact, that I dug out my Tomb Kings armybook and had a go at it myself to see if I could give it another interesting twist:

It basicly comes down to the following changes:

- The Tomb King drops his armour and vambraces
- Infantry: 2x 20 Skeleton warriors (banner+musician, 4+ save)
- Archers: 2x 16 Skeleton archers (banner)

This gives me roughly 190 pts to spend on the following:

- I add 1 Icon Bearer (:eek: ) with the Banner of the Hidden Dead (+165 pts)
- Upgrade both Light units to Skeleton Heavy Horsemen (+20)

Incredible as it may seem, the Icon Bearer may actually have a useful role in an army like this. First of all he helps to overcome some of the things I saved points on ... one less wound due to losing combat means the Tomb King doesn't really need that armour and the archers are just as save with one less. His second role is ofcourse to put some real presure behind enemy lines and add a unit of Heavy Horsemen to the Scorpions. If the opportunity is there you could wreak havoc on a flank is the other unit of Heavy Horsemen and the Chariots go at it at the same time ... while the main battle-line of infantry is still advancing and shooting ofcourse :evilgrin:

Just the idea of actually using the Icon Bearer makes it all worth it ;)

:cool:

Wintersdark
30-10-2005, 22:47
But certainly this big-archer-unit concept could work in some other lists, and you could try and see what you could fit in, with perhaps more of an emphasis on hitting power (Ushabtis, Bone Giant--these can still flank and negate ranks, so they fit well). I just went for more light units in this army to ensure that I have plenty of flankers available. I think this makes for a great combination of units. But I agree that it would be nice to have an Ushabti unit or something. If anyone comes up with a good variation on this list I'd be interested.

I used the big archer block concept in my goblin army. Don't laugh! It actually worked amazingly well. At 3 pts per model, night goblin regiments spread one model deep from one end of the table to another don't cost much. Interspersing other goblin units behind them (like you did with the tomb guard and skellies) allows them to reform into support blocks.

It worked even better for the gobbos, because a single fanatic in each archer regiment worked to help keep chargers back - not many people like to charge through fanatics :) Gives an additional chance to reform them into blocks. Also, being able to take 4 netters in each archer unit allowed them to get a full net coverage in the front ranks, making them ideal units for static CR fighting. They rarely wound anything, but thanks to the nets, they are rarely wounded (in the first round anyways)

Gobbos' have a short shooting range, so they suffered there... but that was EASILY made up by the absolutely astoundingly rediculous amount of firepower that 200 BS 3 goblin archers can dish out.

Strakar
31-10-2005, 00:39
The other thing that might be interesting to try would be a 35-40 bow unit stretching across most of the table with an icon bearer holding the banner of free reform. That way, you'd only need one successful spell to fire all the bows in the magic phase, and could hit several enemy units depending on what the skellies could see in their arc(s). Then you save another spell to potentially fire a SSC as well (which I believe would make a strong addition to the list at the cost of one light cav unit and one of the TK's magic items).

They wouldn't stretch across the whole table, so you would need to have a fast unit or two ready to launch out from behind them to protect a flank.

When someone charges any part of the line, the bow skellies reform into a block, leaving the failed chargers open to counter charges. It would probably only be good once or twice against an opponent for surprise value, but it would be crazy if the 40 bowmen were the last unit you deployed.

amagi
31-10-2005, 01:06
Nice idea :D , but I don't think it's legal.

A) "When someone charges any part of the line, the bow skellies reform into a block"
The banner of free reform only works in the Tomb King player's turn, although it does work before charges. You can't reform in response to an enemy charge. So this part of your plan, at least, is not allowed.

B) When reforming, no model can move more than double its movement. If they're stretched out across the table, they have to move farther than 8" to get to a block. But the banner might allow you to reform to 2 ranks without going over 8"--you'd have to measure this to be sure. Then you could use your normal movement to reform again. So that would probably work. You could use a movement spell to reform a 3rd time if 2 wasn't enough for whatever reason, or you could use a spell to still shoot with your new front rank.

Side note: there could conceivably be some ambiguity over whether TK units are even allowed to go 8" in a reform. Some people might interpret their marching restriction as only allowing them to move 4" at all times even apart from marching, since even characters on foot or skirmishers (Swarms) cannot move 8".
The thing is though, the restriction is specifically against "marching," so I'd say they could reform 8".
One snag in this interpretation is that (I think) skirmishers don't technically "march" but go "double pace" or something. Yet they're still prohibited from doing so. You'd have to look in the skirmisher rules to be sure, and check the Chronicles that include this ruling about TK skirmishers. I know that for characters on foot at least, the rules in the rulebook specifically say that they "march" but can always do so regardless of proximity.
Whatever. I already measured just in case, and my units of 17 can easily get from a single line to a block facing in any direction without any model moving over 8". If they're restricted to 4" though, they'd have to do it in 2 stages--using one turn to redress ranks to 2 ranks and then the next to reform, for instance. Still basically the same concept, though I'd have to give up half my shooting for a turn if I wanted to get to 3 or 4 ranks. But I think they can go 8" in a reform, since reforming has nothing to do with "marching." Perhaps someone can clarify this?

At any rate, reforming to a full 3 or 4 ranks isn't strictly necessary for my 17-strong units, since they'll still reliably hold for 1 turn against most things even when only 2 ranks deep, and going from 17 to ranks of 7 still lets the middle combat units step through, which is the whole point. But it would be nice just in case to have the option of more ranks.

Anyway, the single huge unit is an interesting idea, and might be fun to try. But that's definitely on the crazy side of things, and it's not terribly reliable or efficient, since you have to buy an Icon Bearer with that banner just to make it work--and you won't usually be using the banner to let the unit charge, which is the best use of the item. Additionally, it only takes a single enemy unit almost anywhere along the length of the board to charge and thereby take all your shooting out of commission. My version, on the other hand, is I think a practical and generally effective strategy. And with the amount of magic I have, much of the time I'll be able to get 2 shooting spells off anyway and get just as many shots as the single-giant-line version.

Wintersdark
31-10-2005, 16:47
Single big unit doesn't work so well. While it'll sit in combat for a long time even if losing badly (so damn many skellies) it removes options. 2 units fo 20 are simply much better than one of 40. You get the same firepower, but can move both units independanty, and target seperate enemy regiments if you want. The only noteworthy advantage of a single unit of 40 is that you only need on invocation to get them to all fire in the magic phase.

Anyways, the units of 20 reform into blocks that are just as effective as blocks of 40, so once you reform for combat you're basically just throwing away a unit by taking one of 40.

The extra to outnumbering is wasted, because one on one, the archer unit likely won't be winning combat on it's own. Once you bring a second unit it, you're going to be pushing around US40 anyways, so you'll outnumber regardless.

And remember, the free reform banner does not allow them to place the finished block anywhere along their length, they have to center the block in the middle of the line, and still follow the reform rules (8" max move per model).

Agami: TK could certainly move 8" in a reform. Reforming has nothing at all to do with marching, the rules for reforming simply say that an individual model cannot move more than twice it's movement rating when reforming. While that is the same speed as marching, it is not in fact marching. For the TK's rule to force reforming models to be limited to 4", their rule would have to say something like: "A single model may never, under any circumstances, move more than it's base movement value at any time" or specifically state that reform moves are capped. Otherwise, the reform rule is entirely independant.

amagi
31-10-2005, 19:06
Agami: TK could certainly move 8" in a reform. Reforming has nothing at all to do with marching, the rules for reforming simply say that an individual model cannot move more than twice it's movement rating when reforming. While that is the same speed as marching, it is not in fact marching. For the TK's rule to force reforming models to be limited to 4", their rule would have to say something like: "A single model may never, under any circumstances, move more than it's base movement value at any time" or specifically state that reform moves are capped. Otherwise, the reform rule is entirely independant.Well, it kind of does say that actually.
Chron IV "Q. Can Tomb King single characters and skirmishers move at double movement value? No. The only case where it is possible for a Tomb Kings unit to move at double speeed is when charging." Chron 04 118.

I started a thread in the Rules forum on this
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15385

Despite the above quote, I actually think they still can move 8". See the Rules thread for my reasons. But it's ambiguous either way you look at it, and barring a further ruling I don't think we can have a totally definitive answer. But given that the tactics section in the back of the TK book actually refers specifically to the idea of reforming a long line of archers into a block, among other reasons, I'm going with the idea that they can still go 8" on a reform.

Wintersdark
31-10-2005, 21:42
Well, it kind of does say that actually.
Chron IV "Q. Can Tomb King single characters and skirmishers move at double movement value? No. The only case where it is possible for a Tomb Kings unit to move at double speeed is when charging." Chron 04 118.

Ah, but this quote doesn't apply to ranked regiments. Skirmishers and individual characters do not need to reform, only non-skirmished units. This quote specifically mentions a couple instances but leaves out everything else, which is what would in fact need to move faster.

This quote seems to me to apply directly to single characters and skirmishers simply because those do not actually march, but rather move at "double pace" - it closes a loophole which could arguably be used to allow those single characters/skirmishers to move faster than they should be allowed to.