PDA

View Full Version : What should Gavmo collect next?

Gavmo
30-10-2005, 10:28
Hey peoples. I'm wanting to collect a new army, but i'm yet to decide which one it will be.
Thats where you peoples come in.:)
I collect Space Marines at the moment, but now I want something different.
Couple of things:
1. It has to be easy to paint. I'm always at work, so I need something that I can paint fairly quickly.
2. Has to be a useful army. eg: Not Kroot. They're cool, but fairly useless againsed things like tanks.
3. Not Chaos. I'm a good boy I am.:p

So, what do people think? What are the strengths and weaknesses of the different armys?

Gethalorre
30-10-2005, 10:38
Guard! Join the legions of the Emperor's trrops!

Or Orks!

Gavmo
30-10-2005, 11:12
Uuurgh. Guard has 50 billion models per point. I need something that is easy to paint.

Vindikhein
30-10-2005, 11:21
How about Necrons? Wanting something easy to paint seems to rule out most horde armies and armour/metal bodies is always easier to paint than fabric or flesh.

Necrons may be another hard as nails army, but at least they have a different feel to marines.

Thanks.

StugMeister
30-10-2005, 11:27
Yeah, I have to agree with Vindikhein, Necrons are the way to go. They have few numbers so should be relatively easy to finish.

Wiseman
30-10-2005, 13:09
go bugs, they are cool and well cool

Kyuss
30-10-2005, 13:27
Biel-Tan Eldar: Get everyone in Wave Serpents and you'll probably need only 40 models and four Vehicles!

Then you can add more troops at your leisure if you want a more codex list.

Kyuss

ham2525
30-10-2005, 13:41
if you collected tyranids or necrons you can do "The Dip" that was in the latest WD

so you can quickly paint all of them:D

lord_blackfang
30-10-2005, 13:42
Armoured Company is pretty easy to paint...

igotsmeakabob!!
30-10-2005, 17:24
The dip? Which WD was that in? Black Templar one? What is it?

deathcrow13
31-10-2005, 01:14
Go for a monstrous tyranid army, easy to paint and fun to play. Either that or daemonhunters. With their point cost, you'll have few models to paint and they look very nice.

shutupSHUTUP!!!
31-10-2005, 01:22
Dipping is a very fast and easy way of getting models painted to tabletop standard.

Here is an example of a spearman unit for WHFB painted in basic colours:
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/6659/p30300041qy.th.jpg (http://img356.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p30300041qy.jpg)

I dipped them in wood stain and they came out like this:

http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/9586/p30300050tk.th.jpg (http://img454.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p30300050tk.jpg)

http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/3179/spearmen28vv.th.jpg (http://img455.imageshack.us/my.php?image=spearmen28vv.jpg)

Dipping was all the rage a few months back in various painting forums, go do some searcing.

Safe to say, you can get entire armies cranked out to an acceptable standard in a fraction of the time. They don't look brilliant individually but they look very good ranked up or in squads, which is why they suit tyrannids and perhaps guard best.

Gavmo
31-10-2005, 09:02
First up, thanks for the help guys.:)

So far, i'm leaning heavily towards the Necrons. Easy to paint and a high point value so I dont have to buy heaps of them.
But people I talk to say that they can be a very boring army to play. Not much character. But in saying that, I reckon they have some great fluff. (I just finished reading the codex tonight. Next up its the White Dwarf.)

Yep. Necrons it is.
Thanks all.:D

He Who Laughs
31-10-2005, 20:58
Sorry to muddy the waters Gavmo, but have you thought of an IG Armoured Company? I've seen your Pred, and it was a very tidy piece of work - I reckon you could give an Armoured Company a good go. The only problem, is that no-one will what to game against you - all those AV 14 front facings tend to **** off people with no AT weapons. Though, I do love Leman Russes - and they don't have to be tooled up. My absolute basic Russ took out at least 20 marines in a recent big battle at the local GW, it was great - have some pie-plates Marine boys!! There was another two Russes on our side of the tabel as well - there's someting oddly satisfying about having three Russes unloading HE ordnance into enemy held defensive positions. Yeah :evilgrin:

Gavmo
31-10-2005, 23:08
NOOOO!!!

Why did you have to say that? You know I love tanks. Now I have to start thinking all over again. (I try to avoid that as much as possible.)

Of course you love Leman Russes.:p

NickT
31-10-2005, 23:24
I would suggest a Stormtrooper army or IG. It's what I'm looking at, has a quite high points cost (10 men, vet, melta bombs and two special weapons can come to about 120-130 points before you consider a Chimera) and both Stormtroops and Kaskrin are pretty much all armoured so they should be fairly easy to paint.

If you had three Leman Russ and three units of Stormtroopers in Chimeras (Have the Grenadier doctine and these count as troops), you are at around 1100 points.

He Who Laughs
31-10-2005, 23:28
Sorry Gavmo :angel: :evilgrin:
Money wise, it'll be a tad more expensive than a Necron Army - but you wont have to paint as much. I painted my UN Russ in grey-to-white drybrushing in about half and hour - not including the UN insignia, and it looks schmick (shameless self-plug). And you can include Kasrkin/Storntroopers in Chimeras for some infantry support along with the Gepanzertefaust squads (err... Armoured Fist). Go on - feel the tank love... :D

I would suggest a Stormtrooper army or IG. It's what I'm looking at, has a quite high points cost (10 men, vet, melta bombs and two special weapons can come to about 120-130 points before you consider a Chimera) and both Stormtroops and Kaskrin are pretty much all armoured so they should be fairly easy to paint.
I second this actually. I worked out an armoured special forces army a while ago, and each Chimera transported Kasrkin Squad comes to approx 250pts (depending on the kit out) and thus you have a very modular army. The only problem, is that it becomes very points intensive (and money intensive - at $110 AUS each squad total) - and while Front AV12 is better than average - a few krak missiles and lascannons can really ruin your day. Also, depending how pure you want the army to be, it can also be lacking in heavy support.

Wraithbored
01-11-2005, 00:38
Personally I'd suggest a Iyanden Ghost Warrior army, very few models, intersting yet difficult to play and easy to paint.

Bar that you could go for a Ravenwing force.

Gavmo
01-11-2005, 09:18
Yeah, i'm trying to steer clear of marines for a while. I already have a good little marine army going on. I just need a change.

But I do like the idea of a Special Forces army. I'll have to make them like He Who Laughs' commandos though. And I dont have enough bolters.
Here's the link to them: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8884
They look so good it hurts.:evilgrin:

TWB
01-11-2005, 09:34
I've adopted a "Nemesis" approach to army collecting, that is to say every time I have one army "done" the next should be an enemy if that force, this allows you to do something different and means that when you've completed your second army you'll be able to have battles against yourself (or a freind borrowing an army, which is a little more sane).
So I am currently building a LatD army, which brings me neatly to my next suggestion . . . .

Go for an army which will allow you to utilise your existing models OR expand into more than one army.
The Inquisition will be usable instantly as you have a marine army already, you can pick an army of "Chamber Militant" troops which can be added squad by squad or a Guard army. Lost and the Damned forces are similar, you can expand into full Chaos army or again into Imperial Guard.

If you want a straight answer which one army to do, I'll Say Imperial Guard, the list is surprisingly flexible and the Doctrines let you taylor an army to your own personal tastes.

Gavmo
01-11-2005, 11:13
I should have said this before, i'm a Libran. So making a decision is INCREADIBLY hard for me. (It took me days to decide weather I wanted a Whirlwind or a Razorback. Then a further half hour staring at the boxes at the store.)

I guess that a Guard army would be pretty cool, and they're good guys! But only if I can make it all Stormtroopers. I like elite stuff. And I want tanks, and Ogryns. Can I do this?
Can Inquisitorial Stormtroopers be used as an effective stand alone army? Or do I have to whack some marine power in there too?
I get the feeling that I should really go and buy the codex.

He Who Laughs
01-11-2005, 21:10
Actually TWB has a good point with the Nemesis army. Here's a slightly different lean to it;
I'm building up a platoon of IG Conscripts to go with my UN - made outta a motley crew of Cadian, Catachan, Empire Militia etc bits - and fielding them as 'liberated Hive Militia' - hence the crap stats and assortment of kit. But I'm making the unit such a way that it'll can also be used as LaTD Traitors (with heavy stubbers, heavy bolters, flamers etc) to attach my Alpha Legion insurgents to. Hmmm... adapt-arific...