PDA

View Full Version : Some BG on Nimbosa colony...

aglim
30-10-2005, 11:42
I heard this name many times but i could not link it with a Background story...
Could you tell me what exactly is nimbosa colony?

Deathmasterskon
30-10-2005, 11:59
Its a Tau colony that got invaded during the Damocles "Crusade" (20,000 Guardsmen, 5 Space Marine Companies does not constitute a crusade...)

*Consults Fluff Bible*

There's a background story about a Tau Water Caste journalist reporting the recapture of Nimbosa by the Tau.

*Consults Tau Codex*

The Imperium sent a captain of the Crimson Fists with a negotiator to stall time for the Navy to recapture Nimbosa. The Tau rumbled them.
Most of the Codex focuses on Nimbosa- it seems to be in Imperial hands, bu the Tau have it marked for colonisation.

Ki-Adi-Monkey
30-10-2005, 14:34
There was some fluff a few WD's ago (around when the SM codex was released) about Ultramarine terminators attacking and destroying a Tau force on Nimbosa.

Rob

shutupSHUTUP!!!
31-10-2005, 03:54
That piece of fluff is on the GW UK marine 40k section somewhere I believe, they put it up in preparation for the new SM codex.

It would help if we knew when the ultramarines attacked, was it during the damocles crusade or were they recapturing it after the tau retook nimbosa? The imperial fists were defeated trying to hold it the first time I would hazard.

Sephiroth
31-10-2005, 04:31
Nimbosa seems to swing back and forth between the Imperium and the Tau.

THE KOLOTH GORGE MASSACRE

The Tau attack on Nimbosa was one of many in the Koloba sector, heralding a fresh surge in the expansion of this alien race in the Eastern Fringes. Imperial forces were poorly positioned to meet this threat, the majority of the Ultima Segmentum fleet engaged in hunting splinter fleets of Tyranids from Ichar IV. It would be many months before any sizeable force could be mustered in time to fight the Tau.

An Imperial Envoy under the protection of the Imperial Fists Space Marines was despatched to the nearest Tau Sept of Tolku with instructions to commence protracted negotiations in order to delay the main Tau offensive.

Every day spent in negotiations brought the retribution of the Imperial Navy forces closer to Nimbosa and gave the beleaguered colonists a chance of holding out against the invaders. However, the world of Т'olku is famed amongst the Tau Sept worlds for the sage counsel, debating and diplomatic skills of its inhabitants and attempts to stall the Tau assault were unsuccessful.

Led by Commander Brightsword, the full weight of the Tau fell upon Nimbosa and the colonists fought to the last, not a single soul surviving the final attack. Four months later. Imperial forces fought their way to the surface of Nimbosa, to find the Tau well dug in and ready for a major offensive.

Brightsword allowed the Imperial Guard to batter themselves on his defences before, like O'Shovah, his mentor, had done with the Orks, leading a series of aggressive raids, running rings around the ponderous Imperial regiments.

Eventually, at what Imperial scholars have since dubbed the Koloth Gorge Massacre, Brightsword trapped the Imperial forces within a narrow gorge and systematically destroyed them in a three-hour slaughter. It was noted that Brightsword was summoned back to T'au shortly after the Nimbosa war and there are those who believe it was to be censured for the remorselessness of his tactics.

A frontline report from a Tau news team recorded the final Tau assault.

What happened to Brightsword can be read in the novel Kill Team.

During the release of Codex: Space Marines, Imperial forces seem to have retaken Nimbosa.

Whether they'll hold onto it with the upcoming Codex: Tau Empire, remains to be seen.

Instigation
31-10-2005, 07:47
What really confuses me about this tau expansionism is why are they going west? In the EOT campaign the Tau reportedly took several imperial colony worlds. Now maybe im wrong in assuming that these worlds were on the western side of tau space and i know that the EOT expansion wasnt JUST west...but my problem is that this seems to be the biggest area focused on but makes the littlest sense becuase of The Damocles Gulf.

This area of space takes imperial forces 6months to cross and thats with their supperior warp capable craft. This makes it very hard for them to establish supply lines and hence is an excellent natural defensive barrier for the Tau empire. So why oh why would the tau expand west?
I would think that it would make so much more sense for the tau to be expanding mostly east or up and down since space isnt 2d. But we keep getting more and more fluff of tau on human worlds (which are west of the tau empire mostly but correct me if something contrary to this is clearly stated in the fluff).
Why cant we have tau fluff with them expanding west, fighting other xeno races or orks etc etc.
I mean the Tau dont JUST have to be fighting humans (which implies westward movement) to be a part of 40k do they?

Its a little off topic i know but it just bothers me...

Ki-Adi-Monkey
31-10-2005, 08:12
It would help if we knew when the ultramarines attacked, was it during the damocles crusade or were they recapturing it after the tau retook nimbosa?

It must have been in 999 M41, as the events in the Warriors of Ultramar book (which took place in 999 M41) are mentioned in it as recent happenings.

Rob

Sephiroth
31-10-2005, 08:12
What really confuses me about this tau expansionism is why are they going west?

Um, I don't think they are. As far as I know, the 'Third Phase Expansion' just made the sphere of the Tau Empire larger. These are the only bits of fluff I found on the event:

The Tau made several major expansions to their Empire over the course of the Thirteenth Crusade. With Imperial attention elsewhere, and local Tyranid and Ork menace temporarily contained, Tau settlement colonies and pioneer teams reached far and wide into the outlying systems and the Damocles Gulf, the Perdus Rift and much further afield. Although the encroachment on Imperial space has been relatively minor, the Tau have established no fewer than five 3rd phase colony systems in a halo around their existing sept worlds. These massive areas of expansion are already being referred to as the Third Sphere Colonies by the diplomats of the Water Caste, and are rumoured to include unprecedented numbers of human auxiliaries. That the Imperium’s attention is focussed elsewhere is no doubt of comfort to those humans who have pledged their support to the burgeoning Tau Empire.

The Tau Empire as a military power offers little overt military threat to the Imperium. Rather, it is the thoroughly alien principles of integration and cooperation that endanger the doctrinal purity of the domains of Man. Before the Damocles Gulf Crusade, the Tau established trading contacts with a number of outlying human worlds, and it is known that in the aftermath of the conflict, a number of isolated Imperial Guard regiments surrendered and were voluntarily assimilated into the Tau military. Such a turn of events is utterly unheard of in the history of the Imperium, and will not be allowed to occur again.

Very recently, the Tau Empire has undergone a new phase of expansion. With the Imperium's commanders looking towards the apocalyptic Black Crusade of Abaddon the Despoiler and long-term plans for huge troop movements being drawn up, the Tau have expanded into areas of space previously claimed by the Imperium. A number of new worlds have been brought within the fold of the Tau Empire, and it seems these xenos are now galvanised to take, and to hold, more worlds than ever.

Ki-Adi-Monkey
31-10-2005, 08:29
http://uk.games-workshop.com/spacemarines/nimbosa/1/

Here is a link to the ultramarine assualt on nimbosa fluff.

Rob

Instigation
31-10-2005, 08:37
Ya ive seen those bits of fluff before and heres what catches my attention:
"These massive areas of expansion are already being referred to as the Third Sphere Colonies by the diplomats of the Water Caste, and are rumoured to include unprecedented numbers of human auxiliaries"
-makes me think hmm whats been implied here?
"as a military power offers little overt military threat to the Imperium. Rather, it is the thoroughly alien principles of integration and cooperation that endanger the"
-ahhh so all humans are going to abandon the imperium and join the tau?

This is in fact something that ive wanted to discuss for a while in depth and goes well off topic of this discussion so ill start a new thread...

aglim
31-10-2005, 11:36
Um, I don't think they are. As far as I know, the 'Third Phase Expansion' just made the sphere of the Tau Empire larger. These are the only bits of fluff I found on the event:

Can i tell you where do u find this BG pieces?
On the internet?
A link?:cool: