PDA

View Full Version : Armoured companies!

CELS
30-10-2005, 11:55
I'm considering an armoured company for my next 40k army, which I intend to start some time next year. Quite possibly a Tech Guard one. Of course, before I start doing that, I'd like to hear all your experiences with armoured companies. For example, how well do they do in a game? Are they fun to play with? Do opponents enjoy playing against armoured companies? Is there anything in particular I should be mindful of? Does anyone have any bad experiences to share?

All comments are very welcome indeed!!

NOTE: I realise you guys have probably discussed this before, but I searched the forums for a while and even searched page 1-8 of the general forum looking for a thread like this, but couldn't find anything.

Ko Improbable
30-10-2005, 12:44
I'm considering an armoured company for my next 40k army, which I intend to start some time next year. Quite possibly a Tech Guard one. Of course, before I start doing that, I'd like to hear all your experiences with armoured companies. For example, how well do they do in a game? Are they fun to play with? Do opponents enjoy playing against armoured companies? Is there anything in particular I should be mindful of? Does anyone have any bad experiences to share?

All comments are very welcome indeed!!

I haven't gotten to use mine much, but I can repeat things I've heard said about playing with Armoured Companies.
Opponents generally won't like playing against an all-ordnance Armoured Company. This'll mostly be Space Marine and Necron players, I'll wager. But, you should try to mix in some Exterminators or Conquerors or such anyway, as they can be something of a mobile/flanking element while Standard Russes sit back and pound things.
The only times I've used my Armoured Company were as a second detachment supported by an infantry detachment, so I'm not sure how well Armoured Companies do all on their own. But, I've heard that it's usually best to include a few Armoured Fist or Storm Trooper units in the army for some infantry support.
As with any Imperial Guard army, be cautious about taking too many points of Doctrines per tank. I could probably fit another tank or two into my army if I dropped all the Doctrines, but then I don't have another tank or two to put into my army.

Puffin Magician
30-10-2005, 13:05
I very highly recommend the Armoured Battlegroup list from Forgeworld. It allows for more diversity which, for me at least, means more fun in games.

None of my friends seemed to mind playing large games against two dozen tanks and a Baneblade because their all-comers armies still had quite a bit of Lascannon and Melta weapons in them. We also regularly played in dense terrain, which means lots of choke points for my tanks to get stuck [Baneblade was immobilized in the only road wide enough for 2 vehicles...].

As Ko said, you'll probably only hear groans if your list is nothing but Battlecannons; mix it up with Tank Destroyers, Conquerors, Griffons and Executioners. Not only will your list be balanced but it'll look better on the table.

Mechanized infantry helps, but I wouldn't call it necessary. If I wanted to have a list with footsloggers I wouldn't be using an Armoured list.

Post some of your list ideas so we can see what direction you're thinking of taking; sure you'll have lots of vehicles in any case, but there's more than one direction you can take. An army consisting of Exterminators and Salamanders would be speedy compared to Demolishers and Manticores, for example.

CELS
30-10-2005, 13:33
Thank you very much for your comments. I was afraid people had talked this subject to death when I wasn't listening. Anyways, I can definitely see why people may dislike an all-ordnance list, of only Leman Russes, Vanquishers and Demolishers, for example.

I haven't really thought about it much, but I guess I might go for something like...

2 Executioners
2 Vanquishers
1 Bombard
2 Exterminators

But that's just my initial idea. I might switch the Exterminators with a couple of Mechanised Infantry squads.

What's this "Armoured Battlegroup list from Forgeworld" though. I thought they only made rules for specific units.

Puffin Magician
30-10-2005, 14:05
The Armoured Battlegroup list is in Imperial Armour Volume One. It's similar to the GW Armoured Company list but has a lot of restrictions, and of course all the FW toys.

You need 1 Squadron Command Tank [elites choice] for every 1-2 Troop Tanks.
You can only take 1 piece of Artillery [Bas/Grif/Medusa/Manticore] for every Armoured Fist HQ or Company Command Tank.

I don't remember it all right now and there's way too much to retype even if it was allowed on the forums... if you have Army Builder, the roster is available [which is a lot easier than flipping around a 200-page book that weighs more than a dog], so I highly recommend you peek around there, even if you download the AB demo for this single purpose [you should have it anyway!].

StrainX
30-10-2005, 16:46
Well technically FW stuff is GW legal stuff, so you can throw it in your Armored Company if you like. Personally, I prefer the rules from the WD since it allows you doctrines.

Puffin Magician
30-10-2005, 16:52
The main [and possibly only major] difference is simply the way the lists are organized.

WD Armoured Company lets you select the Siege Regiment doctrine, which lets you take Griffons as Troops. Griffons, and all artillery, is very restricted in the FW Battlegroup list.

But the FW list lets me take Executioners and Vanquishers as Troops. I can also stick my HQ, Commissar, and Sqn Cmdr's in Demolishers so they don't eat up Heavy Support choices.