PDA

View Full Version : High elve problem [LSG or spearman]

PaintedBalloon410
17-07-2008, 22:00
should I take sea guard or spearman:cries:

Kidjal
17-07-2008, 22:12
spearmen dont have bows, sea guard do right?

Isnt that a no brainer?

Or am I missing some crucial difference.

Wadders
17-07-2008, 22:23
LSG are 3 points more and do not come with a shield....

They will almost certainly die to return bow fire and in combat... depends on whether you want combat or shooting?

Shooting - Archers are better (longbow)
Combat - Spearmen have shields are cheaper!

Lothern sea guard - combine the elements of the two but are not better at either... and are more expensive

ScytheSwathe
17-07-2008, 22:40
Theyre both pretty evenly priced in my experience. In smaller games i go for sea guard with shields, keep model count up. Bigger games spearmen backed by archers, so you can move spearmen without shooting penalty, better deal with flankers etc.

Prince Facestab
18-07-2008, 01:12
LSG make good defenders of war machines on hills. Most war machine hunters have problems dealing with a 2X5 formation of LSG, which makes 10 stand and shoot shots followed by 10 ASF spear attacks.

SonofUltramar
18-07-2008, 20:03
For me, its Seaguard everytime in games up to 1500pts but for larger games I start to add in Archers to combat things like Crossbowmen. That said I do have two main army builds one of which is a Lothern army?

Spearmen always seem to lose out to Seaguard for me as the bows can help make a difference in the first few turns especially countering small units like Fast Cavalry or against large units can may down a hail of fire for a couple of turns them reform to take the charge.

Marwynn
18-07-2008, 20:42
should I take sea guard or spearman:cries:

To do what exactly? If you intend to just play them as Spearmen with some shooting at the front rank then you may as well not get LSG. 10-15 LSG is standard, up to 18. This allows some flexibility in deploying them 10/5 so that they can shoot and shoot until it's time to rank up.

If you're thinking of larger blocks 20+ or so better get Spears.

And definitely get Shields on them.