PDA

View Full Version : Best swain hero(es) for a Lahmian army.

Velkyn Kyil
30-10-2005, 16:38
Hi!

I just dug out my old Vampire Counts Army Book the other day. I planned on starting it a loong time ago, but I never got around to it. So, I found it and I decided that I would finally do it.

So which hero do you consider best? I haven't played Fantasy alot, the recent years has mostly been 40k.

Reinnon
30-10-2005, 17:35
an exalted demon :)

thats most likely the best out there

nurgle_boy
30-10-2005, 20:16
Take a damsel, so you can have a lesbian lahmian;)
a lesbahnian if you will:eek:

otherwise, id say something chaos...or a vamp thrall from another bloodline even!

other than that... i have no idea...

Tormentor of Slaanesh
30-10-2005, 20:32
The rules are meant to be there for you to have a brettonian or empire knight.

Rabid Bunny 666
30-10-2005, 20:33
saourus hero with more attacks than khorne himself, or a slaaneshii champion with the bondage magic item for a fetish theme to your army

Velkyn Kyil
30-10-2005, 22:14
The rules are meant to be there for you to have a brettonian or empire knight.

I realize that would be the classical way to do it, but in the name of Fantasy, it could be anything. Why not an Elven knight? Or a Chaos Knight? I think picking a Giant Hero would make it a bit bizarre, unless you say that your Vampire is into .. big guys. But there's nothing saying that your Vampire could not seduce anything, is there? Any of the blood line powers can temporarly seduce any model as long as it can be affected by psychology, so why not her permanent seduction?

I think a Demon would be a bit weird, but they have minds of their own as well. A Slaaneshi demon might be attracted to a Lahmians seducterous powers, or use her to further it's own goal. Even a Tzeentchian would do that (unless Tzeentch is about other things than in 40k).

A lizard would be weird, maybe the Lahmia has it as a pet?

I was actually looking at the Damsel earlier. I think a Necromancer would do a better job, but I haven't looked too closely at the magic available as I don't have the core rulebook around.

EDIT: Is there a Vampire Count Tactica around? I saw a Necrarch tactica, and I looked at it as well, but it seemed to be a bit specific for Necrarchs. Some tips and pointers on how to play Vampire Counts, or even play in general would be nice. I used to play Lizardmen some.. uh... X years ago when they first came out.

Charax
30-10-2005, 22:57
ah, the Swain. quite underused, but I think they're the coolest part of the Lahmian list.

Functional:
Empire BSB + Griffin Banner - stick him in a large unit of skellies/grave guard (if this is possible, my VC book's in storage) and they will be an absolute nightmare. Unless someone gets a flank/rear charge.

OK Hunter + Greyback Pelt - relatively fast-moving loner - Sabretusks mean he's quite intimidating, and the pelt means he can run off and deal with annoyance units without you having to slowly turn one of your regiments around, or trudge through terrain. Keep him well defended when he's not out on his own. Useful for discouraging flank attacks. Hell, take one of these and the Empire bsb and you're sorted!

Funny:
Ogre Kingdoms Butcher + Grut's Sickle (again, can swains join undead units? I was thinking using the item to cause a wound (killing a skellie), which a necromancer then replaces with a fresh skeleton - only really becomes useful if Ogres are taken as DoW allies too, as Gut Magic spells are mostly Ogre-unit specific.)

Just some (possibly insanely bad) ideas. If all else fails, a tooled-up Necrarch Thrall should be handy.

Keller
30-10-2005, 23:15
No, Charax, living characters cannot join undead units, or vice versa.

The Lahmia list is "opponents approval", like all appendix lists. Just keep that in mind, as you might not want to go through a lot of work to make an army you can't use if you are into tournament scenes.

As for what swain to take, I say a TK Liche Preist with the Casket of Souls. The casket is an option of the character, not a seperate unit of the army. Who says the Undead can't get along?

If I remember, you can't take Lords, only Heros. The OK Hunter sounds like a real good addition to me, but I couldn't really imagine the fluff behind it.

gortexgunnerson
30-10-2005, 23:20
no that I'm suggesting anyone use this as is so cheesy no true but the combination of multiple BsB swains can create some unbeleiveable combinations such as Empire BsB Griffon banner, HE Battle banner in a unit of unbreakable undead. So Lord, Undead BsB to give terror and then double rank bonus plus D6 (giving for a big unit a potential 6 rank bonous, 7 for a banner, outnumber so 14 combat res to start maybe even a war banner on the uniy just in case you don't think you've got enough points)

The back of the book lists are fun but they are so unbalanced its not true but if you play with a bit of common sense can make for a good laugh. I resently played a campaign with a necromancer list and had a laugh basically making unfeasable big units of skeles to fight with as I felt was very fluffy for army tactics

Velkyn Kyil
31-10-2005, 00:20
Haha. I was originally thinking of bringing in all sorts of different magic, but Battle standards would just be crazy. Sounds a bit cheesy though... I don't see that many girls/vampires/goths really having a fetish for flags.

samw
31-10-2005, 01:11
Empire warrior priest, for the irony.

gorenut
01-11-2005, 21:26
Either a beastman or orc so you can have a Beauty and the Beast theme.. oh imagine the conversion possibilities for the rest of the army!

Jonik
01-11-2005, 21:34
How about a skaven? There are some nasty nasty weapons that you could take advantage of....

Hywel
02-11-2005, 00:18
Think the whole point of swains is for fluff more than effect...

However, an exalted champion of slaanesh on a steed of slaanesh with great weapon would give a fast punch and make and excellent chariot killer!

Math Mathonwy
02-11-2005, 07:24
No, Charax, living characters cannot join undead units, or vice versa.
Everyone pay heed to this! So those multiple BSBs can form a unit all on their own...

As for my picks: Tomb Prince and Tzeentch Exalted Champion on a Disc. Especially the TP is excellent (his magic can affect VC just as well as TK AFAIK) and rather affordable. Another possibility is a chariot hero of some sort.

Warptraveller
04-11-2005, 00:14
[QUOTE=nurgle_boy]
otherwise, id say something chaos...or a vamp thrall from another bloodline even!
QUOTE]

You can't do this the way I read the rules. They say: you may take any hero from another codex, or ravening hordes. Surely a vampire thrall of another bloodline wouldn't fight for them, anyway?

nurgle_boy
04-11-2005, 08:07
id thinki if properly seduced it would be possible. its perfectly viable to seduce something like a von carstien, they feeel love.. sort of... look at manfred and whatsername...

as for another codex, does that mean i can take a marine captain?:p

NO CODEX'S IN FANTASY! theyre army books!:D

Hywel
04-11-2005, 13:03
id thinki if properly seduced it would be possible. its perfectly viable to seduce something like a von carstien, they feeel love.. sort of... look at manfred and whatsername...

Viable in fluff and part of the rules are rather different things.

Swains are specifically stated as being "heroes from any other Warhammer Armies book or Ravening Hordes if the book is not out yet".

However, as its an appendix list slipped into the dying pages of the book, I don't really think it warrants rules lawyering, more a chat with the planned opponent.

Drasanil
03-12-2005, 19:30
Well a BD or VC thrall would be quite fitting representing one of her more faithfull swains she gave the blood kiss to, its rare but not impossible, Nefereta can give it to any one including other undead and deamons!

Cenyu
03-12-2005, 19:39
I'd say go for the Tomb Prince. He is undead and can join your units plus is able to cast supportive magic.

€: Their incantations can affect all your undead units(i.e. move them and heal/resurrect even Black Knights)

lee909
03-12-2005, 20:08
Its another std beaerer but have you thought of a paladin with the banner of the lady
NO ranks in combat should do it
A Dragon slayer would be funny though

Cenyu
03-12-2005, 20:22
Its another std beaerer but have you thought of a paladin with the banner of the lady
NO ranks in combat should do it

What a great investment on a character with 3 S4 attacks who cannot join a unit.

Drasanil
03-12-2005, 20:39
Unless you hire some dogs of war as well... or are characters forbidden from joining non-RoR as well?

Cenyu
03-12-2005, 22:33
As a matter of fact they are.

Q. Can Regiments of Renown or Dogs of War units be joined by non-Dogs
of War Characters?

A. No.
S. Anthony Reynolds - Warhammer Design Team (Online Q&A
on the Games Workshop Warhammer Forum)

Go, Paladin!

Drasanil
04-12-2005, 17:04
Well RoR seems reasonnable to me, but since non-RoR's take up your rare slots you'd think allowing characters wouldn't be that unfair, oh well GW has spoken...

lee909
05-12-2005, 05:45
Unless you hire some dogs of war as well... or are characters forbidden from joining non-RoR as well?
Good point maybe not the best idea :rolleyes:

Neknoh
05-12-2005, 06:05
How about an Exalted Champion of Khorne with Berserker Sword riding a Chariot?

Let's see... Chariot impact hits, D6+1, Crew+Horse 4, Exalted 5+4-13, that's a LOT of attacks

CarlostheCraven
05-12-2005, 15:51
Two things

I am pretty sure swains cannot be battle standards - Magic items and mount options are listed as allowable upgrades, not the option to become a BSB. BSB upgrade is neither a magic item or mount, therefore it is not available.

As for my favorite - liche priests, preferably 2-3 - healing black knights, a second move 14/16 movement phase through urgency, and then a Van Hel's dance (a different kind of magical movement) for potentialy 36-40 inches of movement in one turn is absolutely obscene, especially if this turns into a flank charge on turn 1. Expect poor sportsmanship and possibly a kick in the head if you succeed. ;)

Cheers