PDA

View Full Version : High elves magic items

Jormangundr
18-07-2008, 11:29
Hi ,

Been thinking about doing an army of pointys recently , And was perusing the magic items , I'm a little confused about possible uses for that 60 pt magic sword that wounds automatically, Is it not pretty much useless against anything with an armour save ? Initially I thought it may be of some use against steam tanks and the like, but nope a one plus save kills that idea ?

throw me a bone here , why on earth would anyone EVER take this item at that price ? why not just a great weapon ?

there is another sword for 30 ish points that wounds everything on a 2+ with US 2 and over ? strikes me as equally useless , unless I have missed something.

the star lance is overpriced when you consider a basic lance pretty much does the same job for next to nothing ?

no magic spear ? In fact the majority of the items seem a little pants.

I just feel inclined to equip everyone with either a standard lance or greatsword and dragon armour , the magic armours ,being in the main ,lacklustre...............

please can someone correct me if my perceptions are wrong and point out some reasons for taking some of this 'junk' ,elven characters without pimpy magic items seems somehow ..........wrong , but the current stuff just makes me want to buy those little usefull items lurking in there and ignore the armours/weapons and give em munitions grade stuff, :cries:

Condottiere
18-07-2008, 11:40
A lot of HE magic items are overpriced for their effect. However, the Star Lance has a +3 strength on the charge, which gives the character a net strength 7, any successful hit on a chariot destroys it.

Braad
18-07-2008, 11:40
About the first: O&G have a similar item that wounds automatically, but also allows no AS. However, that one is 100 pts...
I do see uses for that weapon, for example against high toughness armies like O&G, and especially low AS monsters like giants.

The sword, wounds all cavalry on a 2+ instead of a 3 or 4+. Not nice? Its just 30 points.

I don't know all that much about the high elf items though... However all lists have items that are more usefull, and items that or less usefull. Also, every player has his own views on this.

But it is usefull to consider that not taking a 100 point weapon that you think is useless, more or less allows for an extra chariot or something along that line...

EvC
18-07-2008, 12:03
A lot of HE magic items are overpriced for their effect. However, the Star Lance has a +3 strength on the charge, which gives the character a net strength 7, any successful hit on a chariot destroys it.

That's not quite right, as you still need to roll the 2+ to wound as well. It took me three charges with my Star Lance Noble before I ever killed a chariot with it! (Was also running a Scar Veteran with Great Weapon and Nike boots and he managed to fail to kill a chariot on the charge in another game at around the same time, it was getting a little annoying!)

BloodiedSword
18-07-2008, 12:37
I think one of the biggest problems with HE is that heroes are S4, not the S5 that the more combat oriented heroes are.

This immediately makes a large part of the magic item list near obsolete. At least in 6th, the Sword of +3 Attacks was useful because you could combine it with Power Armour for 7 S5 attacks.

But 7 S4 attacks just doesn't achieve anything realistically, especially not for the enormous points cost.

This is only made worse when you consider the new Armour of Caledor that allows you to take a GW or Halberd without worrying about losing armour, as a shield wouldn't make a difference anyway.

Jormangundr
18-07-2008, 13:26
oh yeah the + 3 attacks seemed pretty useless too, just annoys me because in my mind at least, elves were supposed to have hoopy magic weapons and stuff ,to represent theyre 'magicness' and offset their weakness........

looks like my characters are going to be running around with pig iron.

so characterful ............

as an afterthought the sword that only wounds cavalry on a 2 plus is stunningly craptacular considering cav have a better save, looks like either a halberd/lance/Gwep is todays special......... 'Again'

Jerrus
18-07-2008, 15:28
The Auto-wound sword is pretty useful against Daemons, Ogre Kingdoms, Wood Elves, Tomb Kings and Orcs&Goblins. Probably not something you would use in a tournament, but it has it's uses.

+3 (with ASF ) attacks is very nice vs. most infantry, and if you combine it with Talisman of Loec you can even give most characters a scare.

OldMaster
18-07-2008, 17:48
Hi ,

Been thinking about doing an army of pointys recently , And was perusing the magic items , I'm a little confused about possible uses for that 60 pt magic sword that wounds automatically, Is it not pretty much useless against anything with an armour save ? Initially I thought it may be of some use against steam tanks and the like, but nope a one plus save kills that idea ?

throw me a bone here , why on earth would anyone EVER take this item at that price ? why not just a great weapon ?

there is another sword for 30 ish points that wounds everything on a 2+ with US 2 and over ? strikes me as equally useless , unless I have missed something.

the star lance is overpriced when you consider a basic lance pretty much does the same job for next to nothing ?

no magic spear ? In fact the majority of the items seem a little pants.

I just feel inclined to equip everyone with either a standard lance or greatsword and dragon armour , the magic armours ,being in the main ,lacklustre...............

please can someone correct me if my perceptions are wrong and point out some reasons for taking some of this 'junk' ,elven characters without pimpy magic items seems somehow ..........wrong , but the current stuff just makes me want to buy those little usefull items lurking in there and ignore the armours/weapons and give em munitions grade stuff, :cries:

You Ulthuan players have absolutely NOTHING to complain about. Only a powergamer would dislike an item list like the High Elves'.
IMO they come second on top of the most useful item lists, after the Asrai.

The Auto Wound sword is really handy if you're S4. I mean, you're wounding better than a BLOODTHIRSTER! He wounds most stuff on a 2+ most of the times, you always wound automatically. (except against Archaon and the Deamonic Robes :P)
You don't understand what for a benefit it actually is.Imagine, you're actually doubling your chances to kill a model with T 4. Not even talking about T 5 and up...

About your saying of "why not just use a great weapon", I admit you're right. But. It's not that the Sword of Hoeth is overpriced, it's just that the elfish Great Weapon is drastically and utterly underpriced. It should cost at least thrice as much as it does now.

Now the Lance. What's wrong with it? Compare the S bonus with the cost of the Sword of Strength. You'll see, an item that gives +3 S should cost 45 points. But. It also negates armour saves (which normally costs about 50 points O_o). You said something about a Steam Tank?

Now, the Foe Bane. First, it's 25 points, which allows a UNIT CHAMPION take it. Also, it does not wound US 2 models on 2+, but models with 2+ WOUNDS.
So, you get something like this:
"Oh my gosh, I'm a Keeper of the Flames who has been chosen by the gods to answer the challenge of the almighty Konrad von Carstein!, Oh what should I do?"
*waits for death strike*
"Konrad.... where are you wating for? Oh, all right, I have had special training so I must strike first! But how could I ever kill the almighty Konrad.... oh wait, I've got this souvenir from the temple... right... so, I should just swing it and chop? All right... *chop,chop*. Oh my gosh, I've actually accidentally wounded him! Twice... Ohmygosh, he failed his armour save! Twice....
... by golly, I killed the almighty Konrad! : D"

Get the idea? -.-

Now please. STOP whining and get playing. If anybody needs to whine, it will be us, players without a decent item list (talking about the get-you-buy list -.-)

WhiteKnight
18-07-2008, 19:13
Wow that Konrad vs Keeper of the Flame was funny!

Anyways, High Elf magic items are amazing. The Golden Crown of Atrazar is great for those 5+ killing blow people! The Healing potion helps out the Prince on Star Dragon by shrugging off those cannon and blackpowder shots. The weapons are worth their points because they are versatile. You can have an infantry rank killer with the +3 attacks weapon, Blade of Leaping Gold, or the STank killer the Star Lance. If you want to kill giants, you pull out the prince with the Sword of Hoeth and auto wound that toughness 6giant. Very good against low AS units like giants, trolls, big baddies like hydras and manticores.

Don't whine about the magic items, they are great, just like the OldMaster stated.

SonofUltramar
18-07-2008, 20:21
About the first: O&G have a similar item that wounds automatically, but also allows no AS. However, that one is 100 pts...

The Empire also have a similar item;)

As for the High Elves, granted a Great Weapon may indeed be better with ASF but you have overlooked quite possibly their best Magic Weapon, the Reaver Bow, 3 S5 shots per turn is amazingly good, trust me, and its very Elfy.

Out of the other Magic Weapons, The White Sword is one that i've thought about using but never got round to it as Killing Blow, +2S and Magical attacks is nice. Blade of Sea Gold is also useful, for its points a No Armour Save weapon at that cost is just amazing and bear in mind that the character wielding it will be S4?

In short, there are a few good weapons but nowhere does it say they have to take one, martial prowess is mentioned and a character with a Great Weapon or Halberd is actually more characterful IMHO.

Jormangundr
18-07-2008, 20:37
Hey thanks for the feedback. some interesting points.

yep ,you do wound better than a bloodthirster , thing is he can actually do something to armour saves and has alot more attacks. The sword of hoeth is only useful in very specific circumstances. if he comes up against anything with a reasonable armour save (most characters) It's pretty naff for the points especially considering a greatweapon will be usefull in all situations and in fact better against ,for example a Stank and anyone wearing armour,there really is no reason to take it that I can see.

Thanks for the idea for the lance , It's perfect for killing the Stank and chariots etc , I actually think I like it now *grin* I wanted to get some feedback on my opinions for just this reason.

You can't use the healing potion on the dragon surely ???

and I think a lord with the sword of hoeth will most likely loose a straight up fight with a giant, admittedly would be great to finish the giant off , but it's not like you are going to pack it on the off chance that situation 'might' pop up ,out of interest has anyone got any examples,where they have had regular success using one ? and how ?

I would be interested in any elven players fave Item combo's , just as food for thought.

SonofUltramar
18-07-2008, 21:06
The only compulsory combo that I use is on my Noble, Heavy Armour, Shield, Great Weapon, Reaver Bow. Cheap and very, very effective!

OldMaster
18-07-2008, 22:14
Hey thanks for the feedback. some interesting points.

yep ,you do wound better than a bloodthirster , thing is he can actually do something to armour saves and has alot more attacks. The sword of hoeth is only useful in very specific circumstances. if he comes up against anything with a reasonable armour save (most characters) It's pretty naff for the points especially considering a greatweapon will be usefull in all situations and in fact better against ,for example a Stank and anyone wearing armour,there really is no reason to take it that I can see.

Thanks for the idea for the lance , It's perfect for killing the Stank and chariots etc , I actually think I like it now *grin* I wanted to get some feedback on my opinions for just this reason.

You can't use the healing potion on the dragon surely ???

and I think a lord with the sword of hoeth will most likely loose a straight up fight with a giant, admittedly would be great to finish the giant off , but it's not like you are going to pack it on the off chance that situation 'might' pop up ,out of interest has anyone got any examples,where they have had regular success using one ? and how ?

I would be interested in any elven players fave Item combo's , just as food for thought.

I'm glad I could help ;)

I personally like how a High Elf can be immune to mundane attacks and at the same time make all magic items in base contact mundane :|
This, however (Talisman of Saphery and Folariaths robe) is a very pricey joke (as you have to take at least a Prince to afford it and a Prince woudn't be able to attack, while a Archmage would still be able to cast spells).
With this, and a jolly solid static combat res unit you can defeat almost every packed-up supercharacter except Etheral vamps (very rare) and Deamons.

Remember to always clad your character in Dragon Armour. This is just a too broken item to pass :\

Jormangundr
19-07-2008, 07:32
Dragon armour is broken ? have i missed something ?

SonofUltramar
19-07-2008, 07:45

Probably because it means you are immune to the Daemons Tzeentch Lore. Dragon Armour is great but its far from broken as its effects are very situational, now if the High Elves hada Regen Banner then yes it would be but we don't so I to don't see the great issue?

WLBjork
19-07-2008, 08:03
I think one of the biggest problems with HE is that heroes are S4, not the S5 that the more combat oriented heroes are.

You mean like Empire, Dwarfs, Skinks, Tomb Kings, Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Skaven, Goblins and Brettonians?

Oh, wait, they're only S4 as well :angel:

Jormangundr
19-07-2008, 10:40
heh heh ,tyrion is immune to fire and has regen, that's just cool.......

Condottiere
19-07-2008, 12:14
He's meant to be hard to kill, and T3 doesn't help. The Curse of Aenarion was more useful.

Jormangundr
19-07-2008, 12:43
yup ,yes it was ,he used to be able to give archeon a run for his money ,not entirely sure I would risk it in his current incarnation........

sunfang used to be great for jobbing deamons and dragons etc too........

OldMaster
19-07-2008, 13:32
Broken thing about the Dragon armour is that you can't survive a flaming cannonball, while you'll be blasted to pieces by a normal one :\

And it's not only the Tzeentch Lore. Most powerful things nowadays assisiate with Flaming Attack in some way. Protection against is worth much more IMO. Same things with Killing Blow and Poisoned attacks-proof things. But, at least they can be realistic :\

Flame
19-07-2008, 13:41

It is when he means that his dragon is immune to flaming attacks as well.

domread
19-07-2008, 13:50
Making you totally immune to the CC attacks of the new lord of change. whoops!

Jormangundr
19-07-2008, 13:53
ah so thats how a star dragon can take on a GD and win ,lol

Flame
19-07-2008, 14:48
Making you totally immune to the CC attacks of the new lord of change. whoops!

And probably a Bloodthirsters as well!

Prince Facestab
19-07-2008, 15:01
The Auto Wound sword is really handy if you're S4. I mean, you're wounding better than a BLOODTHIRSTER! He wounds most stuff on a 2+ most of the times, you always wound automatically. (except against Archaon and the Deamonic Robes :P)
You don't understand what for a benefit it actually is.Imagine, you're actually doubling your chances to kill a model with T 4. Not even talking about T 5 and up...

Hey, hold on. I think there's a certain amount of shenanigans going on here.

The autowound sword is worse than a two handed weapon in most circumstances. Once a 4T model gets a 5+ save, they do equally well. A 5T model needs a 4+ save, a 6T model needs a 3+ save; I imagine it's similar. You do worse in most circumstances for 60 magic item points instead of 12 normal points (which, I agree, is not enough, but thrice?). There are circumstances in which it is better, but usually it's awful.

Now there are some pretty darn good weapons. I like both bows, the star lance, and the white sword. The foe bane does indeed have some use on a phoenix guard champion. Otherwise, yeah, they're pretty meh. That's still plenty of weapons to choose from.

The rest of the list seems to be the same. Mostly meh items, but enough good ones that you'll always have something nice to take for everyone. Unless you play in truly huge games, I suppose

OldMaster
19-07-2008, 15:32
Meh, I wouldn't use the SoH anyway. I just wanted to point some stuff out.

k, thrice for an Elfish GW may be a bit OTT, but... at LEAST twice! Either that, or change the darn points cost for a GW, no, all equipment for a Chaos Lord in the get-you-by list - it just makes me green with envy.

monkeymatt
19-07-2008, 16:58
That's not quite right, as you still need to roll the 2+ to wound as well. It took me three charges with my Star Lance Noble before I ever killed a chariot with it! (Was also running a Scar Veteran with Great Weapon and Nike boots and he managed to fail to kill a chariot on the charge in another game at around the same time, it was getting a little annoying!)

I would be doomed then...In one combat I got 5 attacks and needed a 2+(Can't remember who it was against or whatever) and I got 4 ones....

Von Wibble
20-07-2008, 08:53
For me, the high elf list is fine - one of ther best. But it does have some duff items.

Bad items - Sword of Hoeth. Foe Bane (except vs Ogres). Armour of Protection (compare to pretty much everyone elses wards and note it restricts you to light armour). Blade of Leaping Gold. Plenty of others also...

Great items - Ring of Fury. Reaver Bow. Talisman of Saphery. Star Lance. White Sword (killed Manfred von Carstein last time I used it!). Talisman of Loec. Banner of Sorcery. Standard of Balance. Banner of Ellyrian. Lion Standard.

The only problem I can see is that I would want any items list to only contain useful items. See the wood elf and dark elf (new edition) books for how this is done.

T10
20-07-2008, 10:43
I dare say all magic items have their uses, but it takes a special kind of dedication to turn down the safe (i.e.: simple) items that give you very straight-forward effects and bonuses. Its not that the items in themselves are bad, there are just items with effects that are more readily applicable. You're not making your High Elf Lord worse by giving him the Sword of Hoeth. It's just that he might often be better off with something else.

Also, why is this whining going on in the rules forum?

-T10

Jormangundr
20-07-2008, 10:55
I have recently come back to fantasy after a very long break , my initial whine was a rules query of sorts as I was asking for people to explain the uses of some things to me ,s a bit of a grey area, admittedly I could have posted in general instead.

Crube
20-07-2008, 11:02
Moved to Fantasy Tactics

Crube

The Warseer Inquisition

OldMaster
20-07-2008, 11:12
Thank you, Crube.

Now, to continue the discussion, what about the Bolt Thrower bow? Certainly going to make casualties..

Marwynn
20-07-2008, 13:08
It's solid however you'll most likely burn up a Lord choice for one as it is 60 points. The Reaver Bow however is slightly better. Three shots at BS6 at S5 ain't bad at all.

Bow of the Seafarer will skewer a lot of of unsuspecting models. Usually used on monstrously mounted Princes (not on Dragons).

Cycorax
20-07-2008, 15:17
On dragon armour.
I play LM and my friend HE. He says that my sallys attacks should be nerfed by the dragon armour... I beg to differ, It doesnt say spout flames is a flaming attack. Plus, its more acidy fire than fire :D.

Xzazzarai
20-07-2008, 17:48
Msot of you say the HE have good items - How come more then half of them are allmost never used, and someone are allmost as standardas a DP unit in the army?

Von Wibble
20-07-2008, 18:55
Isn't that the case with a lot of armies?

Empire - Van Horstmanns, Aldreds' casket, rod of power

New Dark elves - I predict Standard of Hag Graef, ring of Hotek, pendant of khaeleth, focus familiar, cloak of twilight (OK that one's Khaine ot magic item)

Wood elves - Annoyance of netlings, Hail of doom arrow, helm of the hunt, moonstone of the hidden ways

Vampires - Book of Arkhan, cursed book, cadaverous cuirass, ASL armour (forgot its name), sword of kings, sceptre de noirot, skull staff, banner od double US

And that's just the ones I see regularly.

OldMaster
20-07-2008, 19:39
Isn't that the case with a lot of armies?

Empire - Van Horstmanns, Aldreds' casket, rod of power

New Dark elves - I predict Standard of Hag Graef, ring of Hotek, pendant of khaeleth, focus familiar, cloak of twilight (OK that one's Khaine ot magic item)

Wood elves - Annoyance of netlings, Hail of doom arrow, helm of the hunt, moonstone of the hidden ways

Vampires - Book of Arkhan, cursed book, cadaverous cuirass, ASL armour (forgot its name), sword of kings, sceptre de noirot, skull staff, banner od double US

And that's just the ones I see regularly.

Don't forget the Dreadlance and the Red Fury gift.
And me likes Bow of Loren, too.

20-07-2008, 20:03
I like the HE magic item list....but as stated there are a few I don't like. that being said I wonder why your taking on the stank in CC when you have boltthrowers. oh well.

unfortunatly the case with all lists is that there are some units/standards/swords/armor that are always taken and some units/standards/swords/armor that is not taken. does that mean the list as a whole sucks? no its just that the writers of the book do take soem fluff into context and puts in a few items that are fluffy (skavenslayerhat, cloak of beards to think of a few)

though as a magical army I think the Elfes should have a crapload of magic items (oh wait thats cause I play elves) if they made that many items for the list we would still be hearing "man 37 out of 140 magic items sucks GW hates us...BOOHOOOHOO"

Jormangundr
20-07-2008, 21:28
Nah It's not so much boo hoo hoo ,just I did not understand why they were in the book .

again , not being whiny but it looks like it is going to be very difficult for any high elf characters to beat any of the DE ones from what I have heard..... coz thats fluffy ??

I'm not a career HE player , I only started looking at playing them recently ,It was more pointing out what I had noticed from a first look.

I think for dark elves It's going to be stardragon lord with a null stone,only thing I can think of that may have some success.....

Still going to play HE It will be fun trying to figure it all out :o)

Jerrus
20-07-2008, 21:51
Vaul's Unmaking works quite a charm on neutering enemy characters ;)

aenarion67
20-07-2008, 23:08
best noble ever.
white sword talism of loec. killed an chaos lord. 2 killing blow ftw

Bob the Butcher
21-07-2008, 07:54
Wounding automatically could be good vs high Toughness opponents (eg:Giants T5, Ogres T4/5) as Long as they don't have much Armour.

Jormangundr
21-07-2008, 12:29
Sorry I think it is an awful item ,dare I say utterly useless for elves, how come one of the most magical races on the planet can't produce a weapon the equal of a runefang etc is beyond me.

anything you would consider using it against would just murder the poor elf, as he is not going to do much with four attacks aven a dragon gets a 5 plus save against it, then its chomp chomp EEEEK !,crunch crunch , burp

Von Wibble
21-07-2008, 12:32
Vaul's Unmaking works quite a charm on neutering enemy characters ;)

Unless of course they have the Ring of Hotek nearby. Though the 1 shot Ring of Corin is nice, it is an arcane item competing with jewel of the dusk and silver wand.

Wounds automatically is good vs giants and ogres. But Foe Bane wounds on 2+ against these for less than half the cost, and a lance on charge gets a similar effect against all opponents, leaving magic item allowance intact for other things.

Granitearm
21-07-2008, 16:01
Sorry I think it is an awful item ,dare I say utterly useless for elves, how come one of the most magical races on the planet can't produce a weapon the equal of a runefang etc is beyond me.

That's because it takes the race most skilled at making magic weapons to create something like the runefang.

Or a race mean enough to steal one.

smileyface
22-07-2008, 12:45
I'm a little confused about possible uses for that 60 pt magic sword that wounds automatically, Is it not pretty much useless against anything with an armour save ? Initially I thought it may be of some use against steam tanks and the like, but nope a one plus save kills that idea ?

It was a big disappointment to me when I first saw the magic items page and realised they hadn't changed this one.
For general use, I would never take it. I'd only take it for specific jobs if I knew what enemy I was up against. Even then, the enemy would have to be a greater daemon or something - high toughness, no armour. Even under that proviso, I'd still take Foe bane first:

It's not US2, it's 2 wounds. So it's cheap and it can knock out a giant. Again, it's situational rather than generally useful, but it's a far better buy than the sword of hoeth.

I agree. Aside from creating an anti-chariot missile, I'm still not sure why you'd buy this toy.

Basically, the melee weapons aren't great. They weren't great last ed, and they mostly left them the same. They put in the white sword, which looked impressive until I saw "on foot only", which means you're paying (the points cost which I'm sure you know and I shouldn't repeat) for killing blow and magic attacks. A little over the odds, I feel.

To look on the bright side for a minute, we've got a couple of advantages:
1) You don't need a magic weapon for characters on foot. You've got ASF and great weapons. That's like a magic weapon by most races' standards.
2) Both of the bows are good.
3) You can get the sword of might for cheap, and you can get the blade of sea gold. Those are alright. Granted, they're not world-endingly impressive, but they're quite nice if you're getting a mounted bloke in.

On the (even more) down side, try and get a look at the new DE magic items. You'll be even more unhappy.

the magic armours ,being in the main ,lacklustre...............

The gauntlets aren't bad on horseback, the enchanted shield is cheaper than usual, and the mask of the merman lets you get the +1 save for a GW wielder at the discounted elf price with the water-based movement effect thrown in for free. The helm of fortune is really nice on horseback, and the armour of Caledor isn't wow but does do the job. Protection might look bad with its weak armour save, but basically you buy it for characters who are guaranteed to have weak armour and want a nice ward (like monster-mounted heroes). Granted, Stars and Heroes are bit pointless, but the armour section isn't bad. Weapons is the really disappointing bit IMO.

On dragon armour.
I play LM and my friend HE. He says that my sallys attacks should be nerfed by the dragon armour... I beg to differ, It doesnt say spout flames is a flaming attack. Plus, its more acidy fire than fire :D.

That's a pretty common position, but Gav Thorpe differs with you :p. IIRC his response on here a few years back was "Of course it's flaming! Look at the name! The picture even shows it breathing fire!".

Sadly though he never got around to putting the word "flaming" in the later printings of the book. :wtf: What can you do?

Von Wibble
22-07-2008, 12:55
On the (even more) down side, try and get a look at the new DE magic items. You'll be even more unhappy.

The helm of fortune is really nice on horseback... Granted, Stars and Heroes are bit pointless, but the armour section isn't bad. Weapons is the really disappointing bit IMO.

Helm of Fortune on a Dragon Prince champ gives a character who can stop a lot of opponents lords from gettnig wounds in a challenge.

Armour of Stars is a great item though! Challenge nasty killy enemy on dragon. He gets 1 wound and only 1 (unless he has multi wound or killing blow), and your static CR wins combat by 4.

Star lance - does ignore armour which makes it very nice when charging chosen chaos knights or empire inner circle. With a normal lance they still get a 4+ save. And as mentioned its a item for black coach and chariot removal.

smileyface
22-07-2008, 13:33
Armour of Stars is a great item though! Challenge nasty killy enemy on dragon. He gets 1 wound and only 1 (unless he has multi wound or killing blow), and your static CR wins combat by 4.

Good plan! I'll use it if people start using dragons much. It rarely happens though - we've a local culture of not using things that big at 2K, and almost always playing 2K.

Jormangundr
22-07-2008, 17:30
I know I moaned about the armour being pretty poor ,and it is , but I don't mind that too much , Elves are supposed to be a 'glass hammer' It just seems that the magic item selection does not really tie in with that theme. I think point for point just about every other race has better magic weapons.

that could just be me .

Its not like it cripples the army , I just find it very unfluffy.

Elves should drip with magic bling/weaps.

My 2 pee's worth.

Seredain
16-08-2008, 12:24
If you're looking for some very killy elf princes, try these mothers:

On foot: White Sword, Armour of Caledor, Guardian Pheonix, Talisman of Loec.

- 4 Str6 ASF Killing Blow attacks, AS2+, WS5+... A prince with a loec-powered white sword will have the head off any enemy character you care to think of in the first round of combat.

On horse: Star Lance, Helm of Fortune, Talisman of Saphery.
-4 Str7 no AS attacks on the charge, re-rolled AS1+ which is guarenteed even against those Runefangs you're so worried about (but vs Empire I find a normal lance plus the Blade of Sea Gold the best horse weapon combo).