PDA

View Full Version : Power Overwhelming- The host of mort

therisnosaurus
19-07-2008, 02:56
been working on concepts for my next army and I've settled on the ubiquitous VC. After playing a goblin horde for most of 6th edition, I figured a reliable, tough combat force with a lot less randomness would be in order. I love the new VC, particularly in the hands of a cunning, strategic player (which I like to think I am), so I've come up with a list of subtle, building power. I'd be interested to hear from veteran VC players whether a pure summoner army is viable, do the spell ranges hamper it too much or can you reliably keep a fairly large section of your army built up.

Lord:

Lord Mort the everconquering, Death Incarnate (vampire lord)
Abilities: Summon ghouls, dark acolyte, master of the black arts
Magic iems: The helm of commandment, book of arkhan, nightshroud, sword of might.

>> my general, obviously a caster choice. Hopefully he will never see combat, if he does it will be late game in a fight I'm guaranteed to win. He basically exists to cast invocation 6-8 times a phase to slowly build up an overwhelming horde of ghouls, and pop his book at opportune moments to cause flank charges or surprise rushes. in the unlikely chance he does see combat, the defensive items should keep him up fairly well.

Heroes:

Igor, bearer of the tools (necromancer)
Magic items: rod of flaming death

>> an extra spellcast, an extra dispel dice and a bound spell. This guy carries around death's tools of the trade, which reduce people to dust if he happens to desire it. hence the rod. Gameplay wise he'll sit in the frontline nuking targets of opportunity with his rod, before retreating to backline units or cover when the combat heats up

Wrath, last horseman of the apocalypse: (vampire)
Hellsteed
Powers: summon creatures of the night, dark acolyte
Items: sceptre of noirot (or bands of black gold if he turns out to be too vulnerable), balefire spike

>> wraith on a flying horse, potentially the nastiest model in my army if left unchecked. He will move with fell bats, raising them up as best he can using his dice and the pool ones if necessary, using them as shields so he doesn't get shot up. Against high dispelling armies or armies that would consider zombies a threat, he'll fly straight into their backline and start raising multiple zombie units to mess up their battle plan or at least drain their dispel pools. He also has his lance and can mess up war machine crews, chariots, cavalry units from the flank, wounded treemen, the list goes on. hopefully the amount of damage he can do will be underestimated

Decay, child of mort (vampire)
Powers: ghoulkin, walking death
Items: BSB, flayed hauberk, talisman of the lynci, sword of battle

>> a dealbreaker, more or less. Extra spell, extra dispel. extra 2 combat res and a bit of punch wherever I need it. This chap will work with the general to keep the core of my army mobile and only enter combat if necessary. He can hunt down skirmishers, threaten flyers, and generally annoy the hell out of people.

(you'll note all of my characters are both casters and designed to be support rather than combat oriented, with 950 odd points in them, I want to deny the opponent those points as much as possible and keep them safe. My casting will pretty much consist of one dice invocation or raise dead attempts, focusing on increasing ghoul or bat units, negating the possibility of miscasts and attempting to force the enemy to waste dispel scrolls or dice. I have 2 attempts at raise dead (or re-raise below full strength casualties to ghoul units) with my cro and BSB, followed by 6 attempts at summoning more ghouls, 2 to summon bats, 5 bound spells and finally 2 pool attempts at either ghouls or bats depending on what the enemy managed to negate. With most armies going for scroll caddies rather than dice based dispelling, an army with only 4 dispel dice won't stand a chance against the sheer weight of spells going off)

Core:

the harvesters:
3x corpse carts with unholy lodestones

>> more spellpower, and a needed boost to raising, given that is the mechanic this army entirely relies upon to build combat strength. I've taken 3 to mitigate the risk of an early kill and to just add that extra difficulty to stopping me getting an ASF off each turn.

The gatherers:
70 ghouls in various units, currently 18, 12, 10, 10, 10,10

>> the meat of the army, so to speak, the unit of 18 stands in front of the unit of 12, which contains my general. The units of 10 are seed units that get raised up to take charges or if needed. With ASF almost guaranteed and ghoulkin present, these guys are amazing line troops and the small unit sizes mean that even if one or two get wiped out, the enemy is not getting many points for it...

Special:

The flock
2 x 3 fellbats
>> the guard of my hellsteed vampire, these will hang behind the backline until he's had a chance to increase their numbers to more like 5-6 a unit, and then they'll head out and make merry the way flyers do. cheap and expendable.

Rare:

The reapers
2x3 cairn wraiths

>> ace-in-the-hole units, terror causers on each flank to frighten psychology-afflicted armies, good for doing damage to help ghoul units win combats, hunting down or area denying vs hostile skirmishers and flankers, flushing units out of buildings and so forth. late game they can threaten reduced core blocks that have bounced off my ghouls.

And that's it. Army strategy involves interrupting, shutting down, intercepting and harassing dangerous units for the first two turns untill I've built up my ghouls and bats, then letting the enemy hit them and either lock or bounce. Unless they manage to push through in the first couple of turns, my massive amount of raising should ensure that the game is either stalemated or (far more likely) comprehensively rolled. Priorities are protecting my characters, grabbing easy points from small, vulnerable units and ensuring I don't lose ghoul units without locking down enemies for at least a couple of turns.

forgottenlor
19-07-2008, 21:34
been working on concepts for my next army and I've settled on the ubiquitous VC. After playing a goblin horde for most of 6th edition, I figured a reliable, tough combat force with a lot less randomness would be in order. I love the new VC, particularly in the hands of a cunning, strategic player (which I like to think I am), so I've come up with a list of subtle, building power. I'd be interested to hear from veteran VC players whether a pure summoner army is viable, do the spell ranges hamper it too much or can you reliably keep a fairly large section of your army built up.

Lord:

Lord Mort the everconquering, Death Incarnate (vampire lord)
Abilities: Summon ghouls, dark acolyte, master of the black arts
Magic iems: The helm of commandment, book of arkhan, nightshroud, sword of might.

>> my general, obviously a caster choice. Hopefully he will never see combat, if he does it will be late game in a fight I'm guaranteed to win. He basically exists to cast invocation 6-8 times a phase to slowly build up an overwhelming horde of ghouls, and pop his book at opportune moments to cause flank charges or surprise rushes. in the unlikely chance he does see combat, the defensive items should keep him up fairly well.

Heroes:

Igor, bearer of the tools (necromancer)
Magic items: rod of flaming death

>> an extra spellcast, an extra dispel dice and a bound spell. This guy carries around death's tools of the trade, which reduce people to dust if he happens to desire it. hence the rod. Gameplay wise he'll sit in the frontline nuking targets of opportunity with his rod, before retreating to backline units or cover when the combat heats up

Wrath, last horseman of the apocalypse: (vampire)
Hellsteed
Powers: summon creatures of the night, dark acolyte
Items: sceptre of noirot (or bands of black gold if he turns out to be too vulnerable), balefire spike

>> wraith on a flying horse, potentially the nastiest model in my army if left unchecked. He will move with fell bats, raising them up as best he can using his dice and the pool ones if necessary, using them as shields so he doesn't get shot up. Against high dispelling armies or armies that would consider zombies a threat, he'll fly straight into their backline and start raising multiple zombie units to mess up their battle plan or at least drain their dispel pools. He also has his lance and can mess up war machine crews, chariots, cavalry units from the flank, wounded treemen, the list goes on. hopefully the amount of damage he can do will be underestimated

Decay, child of mort (vampire)
Powers: ghoulkin, walking death
Items: BSB, flayed hauberk, talisman of the lynci, sword of battle

>> a dealbreaker, more or less. Extra spell, extra dispel. extra 2 combat res and a bit of punch wherever I need it. This chap will work with the general to keep the core of my army mobile and only enter combat if necessary. He can hunt down skirmishers, threaten flyers, and generally annoy the hell out of people.

(you'll note all of my characters are both casters and designed to be support rather than combat oriented, with 950 odd points in them, I want to deny the opponent those points as much as possible and keep them safe. My casting will pretty much consist of one dice invocation or raise dead attempts, focusing on increasing ghoul or bat units, negating the possibility of miscasts and attempting to force the enemy to waste dispel scrolls or dice. I have 2 attempts at raise dead (or re-raise below full strength casualties to ghoul units) with my cro and BSB, followed by 6 attempts at summoning more ghouls, 2 to summon bats, 5 bound spells and finally 2 pool attempts at either ghouls or bats depending on what the enemy managed to negate. With most armies going for scroll caddies rather than dice based dispelling, an army with only 4 dispel dice won't stand a chance against the sheer weight of spells going off)

Core:

the harvesters:
3x corpse carts with unholy lodestones

>> more spellpower, and a needed boost to raising, given that is the mechanic this army entirely relies upon to build combat strength. I've taken 3 to mitigate the risk of an early kill and to just add that extra difficulty to stopping me getting an ASF off each turn.

The gatherers:
70 ghouls in various units, currently 18, 12, 10, 10, 10,10

>> the meat of the army, so to speak, the unit of 18 stands in front of the unit of 12, which contains my general. The units of 10 are seed units that get raised up to take charges or if needed. With ASF almost guaranteed and ghoulkin present, these guys are amazing line troops and the small unit sizes mean that even if one or two get wiped out, the enemy is not getting many points for it...

Special:

The flock
2 x 3 fellbats
>> the guard of my hellsteed vampire, these will hang behind the backline until he's had a chance to increase their numbers to more like 5-6 a unit, and then they'll head out and make merry the way flyers do. cheap and expendable.

Rare:

The reapers
2x3 cairn wraiths

>> ace-in-the-hole units, terror causers on each flank to frighten psychology-afflicted armies, good for doing damage to help ghoul units win combats, hunting down or area denying vs hostile skirmishers and flankers, flushing units out of buildings and so forth. late game they can threaten reduced core blocks that have bounced off my ghouls.

And that's it. Army strategy involves interrupting, shutting down, intercepting and harassing dangerous units for the first two turns untill I've built up my ghouls and bats, then letting the enemy hit them and either lock or bounce. Unless they manage to push through in the first couple of turns, my massive amount of raising should ensure that the game is either stalemated or (far more likely) comprehensively rolled. Priorities are protecting my characters, grabbing easy points from small, vulnerable units and ensuring I don't lose ghoul units without locking down enemies for at least a couple of turns.

In my opinion one should never count on summoning. Yes it can work, but not as quickly as you might like. An opponent who has a decent magic defence will really slow you down. If your ghoul unit are too small and hit too quickly, they will never revive. Wraiths are also very vulnerable in units of 3. A unit of 5 works very well. A bad round of attacks and they crumble.