PDA

View Full Version : lizardmen vs shooty army

bob monkey
20-07-2008, 10:43
Is there any advice from lizzie players versus people with lots of shooty units? (war machines, bolt throwers, repeater bows etc.)

luckyguy
20-07-2008, 15:40
Though easily shot down, terradons (sp?) make good war machine hunters with their fly movement and hit and run ability. If you can hide them from most shooting with terrain they could help out.

Skink screens to provide cover for more expensive troops.

If you are running a Slaan magic missles (especiall 2d6 varieties) can help against the most troublesome war machines if there are enough hits randomzed to take out crew members (most hits will do little to war machines themselves).

Best defense against shooting for most any army (except perhaps vs. Skaven): Get stuck in as quickly as possible. Units in combat are not eligible targest for most shooting.

bob monkey
20-07-2008, 20:23
awesome thanks for that yeah. The guy i was playing spent a turn of shooting to take down my three terradons when they got close (thats 26 shots on them). This was in turn 3 and my mage miscast and lost his magic missile spell in turn 3 as well so i was peppered for much of the game.

Frankly
20-07-2008, 22:06
It'd help to know what is in your armylist.

Conotor
21-07-2008, 00:53
Screen your troops, and keep your monsters behind terrain until u can terradon the war machines. This doesn't work with RBTs, however, as they just blast a volley into the terradons and kill them. Shooting units are fine, as landing behind them really messes up their aim, but RBTs are 360 degree shooting...

Any1 know how to beat RBTs?

bob monkey
21-07-2008, 11:38
sorry my army list is (without the special weps because nothing affects enemy shooting)
old blood
scar vet (bsb)
skink priest lvl 2 (2xdispel scroll)
20x saurus warriors (hand weapons)
16x saurus warriors(spears)
12x skinks (blowpipes scouts)
12x skinks(jav and shield)
4x swarms
3x terradons

Mozzamanx
21-07-2008, 11:49
Heavens magic is perfect for disposing of war machines. No range? Cor blimey, eat lightning!

Skinks are also very useful, spread out infront of your Saurus. They can't shoot through, and any shooting on them is at -1 to hit. A refused flank may also be a good try, since it cancels out alot of incoming fire.

Conotor
21-07-2008, 12:01
Heavens magic is perfect for disposing of war machines. No range? Cor blimey, eat lightning!

How? The crew is only hit on a 5 or 6. It will take at lest 3 zaps to deal with 1 war machine...

sorry my army list is (without the special weps because nothing affects enemy shooting)
old blood
scar vet (bsb)
skink priest lvl 2 (2xdispel scroll)
20x saurus warriors (hand weapons)
16x saurus warriors(spears)
12x skinks(jav and shield)
4x swarms
3x terradons

Assuming ur heros are fully loaded, this looks around 1500. In a 1500 point game u cannot have an oldblood.

If u hate shooting, add a sarus warrior or 2 to your units, and make sure u screen them with skinks.

Mozzamanx
21-07-2008, 12:07
Isn't there one for 2D6 hits? Average 7 hits, 2-3 on the crew, with 3+ to wound? Seems like you could kill an elf bolt thrower a turn, and seriously hamper other races.

redrum
21-07-2008, 16:01
I've used Chameleon Skinks for war machine duty. They can unload enough shots to take out the crew with a bit of luck. If nothing else you can charge them in, they'll probably die but that war machine won't be shooting at your terradons or anything else for at least a round or two. Also you can try the Skink Chief with the Cloak of feathers, cheaper and more expendable than the jaguar scar vet but can still get the job done.

bob monkey
21-07-2008, 21:56
@ Conotor: my heroes are fully loaded so it brings them up to 1900 pts. (we agreed that its good enough to be 2000 pts).
The only thing with refused flank is what happens if they put RBT's or shooty units on both sides of the map? Your going to be hurt bad.
Never thought of chameleons skinks for war machine duty...might try that

@Mozzamanx: I think your talking about uranons thunderbolt, no range but its only d6 st4 no armour saves.

kroq'gar
22-07-2008, 11:59
Erm... just take skinks... some with scouts. Feed the rements to block LoS.

If they are on a hill, well.. it takes 3 turns to get a charge on them with javalin wielding skinks.