PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Stunties

Kaos
20-07-2008, 19:57
Well, im a greenskin player and im building a dwarven army now and i really need some help here. Its soooo different from my greenies!

In short i have tried to make what i think is a balanced army with a tank as general in a block of hammerers. I am tempted to scratch together some points to buy that runic standard that gives 5+ ward save on units within 6"..from shooting that is. Sounds like a good thing against many armies today? Or is it waste of points? Do i have enough magic resist? Is a master engineer useful? Please disect this list :)

Well here is the list. ITS CHANGED FROM THE FIRST VERSION, TAKE A LOOKSIE..

1 Dwarf Lord 236 Pts
General; Great Weapon; Gromril Armour
Master Rune of Gromril
Rune of Preservation
Master Rune of Spite

1 Thane 145 Pts
Gromril Armour; Battle Standard
Rune of Iron (x2)
Rune of Stone
Rune of Cleaving

1 Runesmith 151 Pts
Great Weapon; Gromril Armour; Shield
Master Rune of Balance
Rune of Spellbreaking
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
24 Warriors 241 Pts (runesmith here)
Heavy Armour; Shield, Full Command

19 Longbeards 253 Pts (Thane bsb here)
Heavy Armour; Shield, Full Command

14 Hammerers 262 Pts (general here)
Shield, Full Command
Master Rune of Grugni

12 Troll Slayers 165 Pts
Standard; Musician

12 Quarrellers 144 Pts
Crossbow; Light Armour; Shield

10 Thunderers 150 Pts
Dwarf Handgun; Light Armour; Shield

1 Cannon 145 Pts
Engineer
Rune of Burning,Rune of Forging

1 Bolt Thrower 90 Pts (only have one model so far)
Engineer, Flaming attack, S7

1 Organ Gun 120 Pts

1 Gyrocopter 140 Pts

Dispel Pool: 5

Casting Pool: 2

Models in Army: 109

Total Army Cost: 2242

Gorog Irongut
20-07-2008, 20:25
Everything replied to in quote.

I am tempted to scratch together some points to buy that runic standard that gives 5+ ward save on units within 6"..from shooting that is.

Definitely well worth the points as it protects you from shooting as well as a large portion of magic.

Dwarf Lord 276 Pts
General; Great Weapon; Gromril Armour (1+ AS, Reroll, 4+ WS, immune killing blow and poison, MR1)
Master Rune of Gromril
Rune of Preservation
Rune of Resistance
Master Rune of Spite
Rune of Warding
Why not put him on shieldbearers. For 25 points you get immunity to killing blow (so no need for preservation), a 1+ AS by giving him the rune of stone, as well as 2 shieldbearer attacks. I wouldn't give him too much more than a great weapon as lords are best on the cheap side of things. If you must spend more points, spend them on the MR of Spite.
Thane 165 Pts
Gromril Armour; Battle Standard (5+WS, 3+AS +2S)
Rune of Iron (x2)
Rune of Stone
Rune of Cleaving (x2)
Just give him the MR of Gromril and an oathstone (as these are worth their weight in gold). You can also spend 5ish points and get yourself immunity to flaming attacks (there are lots of targeting spells as well as a lot of the new demons which do flaming attacks.
Runesmith 151 Pts
Great Weapon; Gromril Armour; Shield (Steals 1PD, "Dispell scroll")
Master Rune of Balance
Rune of Spellbreaking
This will depend alot on the kind of people you play. I personally find that I don't need much anti magic. You may find otherwise. Should you choose to tone it down, drop the MR of Balance.
Master Engineer 74 Pts
Great Weapon; Gromril Armour
Drop the engineer and get a dirt cheap (see naked) dragonslayer as they are so versatile. Engineers only become viable when you start making warmachines unbreakable as you can do rude things to your opponent with him.
15 Warriors 160 Pts
Shield, Full Command
NOWHERE near enough warriors in this army. Warriors are the bread and butter for dwarfs. They cost the least and do the most compared to pretty much anyother unit out there in the game. They may not kill loads of the enemy but they're a bugger to take down and more often will keep your opponents in combat long enough for those fabulous flank charges that win the game.
19 Longbeards 253 Pts
Shield, Full Command

14 Hammerers 212 Pts
Shield, Full Command
I'm not a big fan of musicians. Especially for this unit. You might be tempted to give them a runic standard.

10 Quarrellers 110 Pts

10 Thunderers 140 Pts
It depends on your playing style, but I'm not big into missile troops. Warmachines can do it just as well and are stubborn to boot. But this might work well for you.

10 Miners 160 Pts
Full Command, Steamdrill
That's not a lot of miners to be giving them a FC and a steamdrill. Miners either work well in larger units with FC and steamdrill or in units of 8 with nothing else. Spend the spare points elsewhere.
1 Gyrocopter 140 Pts
Amazing if you know how to use it well.
1 Cannon 130 Pts
Rune of Burning, Rune of Forging

1 Cannon 155 Pts
Engineer, Rune of Burning
Rune of Forging
Rune of Reloading
Too many points spent in cannons. Especially as you're not going to need that many flaming attacks. Drop a cannon and buy a set of bolt throwers. Make one of the bolt throwers flaming and use the other as sacrificial.
1 Organ Gun 120 Pts
Always terrifying for your opponent.
Dispel Pool: 5(6)

Casting Pool: 2

Models in Army: 96
You need more models with this many points. You should be aiming for atleast 110.

Total Army Cost: 2246

Kaos
20-07-2008, 20:37
Hmm, this sounds good. Lots of the troops are based on what i actually have in models. I will get myself some more warriors and think about either boosting or dropping the miners. Probably lighten up the number of runes on stuff too. Ill change around and update soon.

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
20-07-2008, 21:18
Kaos plays dwarfs!?
Dude, make a plog!

..since you are awesome? :D

(and as a sidenote, thunderers and quarrelers tend to do well with shields, as the are almost as tough as warriors in cc)

Kaos
20-07-2008, 22:09
Hehe, might make a plog Kraal. Its not my own dwarves really but they live at my place and i will paint them up from the standard they are now. Its my dads army im gonna help him get together and finished once and for all this year so we can start fighting against each other and have a couple beers meanwhile.
Beats fishing!

Anywaaay... Changed around a bit and kicked out the miners for a bunch of slayers instead. They look much more awesome and thats a cause heavier than anything! I will edit the armylist and update now.

tell me what you think! Going allround, both fighty and shooty and will have cool models to paint.

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
21-07-2008, 02:03
Slayers are always awesome :D
-approves list, going so far as to saying that i'd play with/against it anyday-