PDA

View Full Version : Macharian Crusade mini-dex on BOLS!

AventineCrusader
21-07-2008, 08:19
Right here... (http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/2008/07/play-aid-macharian-crusade.html)

All the Conquests of the Lord Solar you could wish for...

Killmaimburn
21-07-2008, 10:06
Wow, (I see so many shared printers at schools and work crying out for more toner:eek:)
Its nice..
For those who haven't followed the link its 136 pages of datasheets, standard game scenarios..campaign set ups and other additiional bits and bobs to enrich players lives
Thanks BOLS :D (now sat happily in my "stuff" folder)

Plastic Rat
21-07-2008, 10:24
There's actually some pretty in-depth reading in there. Love the modeling sections too. Got to say, this thing is just one of the most professional fan-made addons I've seen in ages. Between this and Firebase, GW needs to take notes.

ORKY ARD BOYZ
21-07-2008, 10:28
The modelling section and background is excellent, just like in previous BOLS pdfs.

jirgaS
21-07-2008, 10:44
There's actually some pretty in-depth reading in there. Love the modeling sections too. Got to say, this thing is just one of the most professional fan-made addons I've seen in ages. Between this and Firebase, GW needs to take notes.

I'd say that gamers are the ones that should take notes. This hobby is too much tournament oriented, well you get that impression reading forums anyways.
Stuff like this goes to show that there are much more to this hobby than just army list tuning and winning at all costs.

x-esiv-4c
21-07-2008, 11:49
I really enjoy the BOLS work.

Takitron
21-07-2008, 19:35
Yay! This is GREAT! (I got to see this book being made, and after reading plenty of playtest copies, this book looks super clean!)

Im very excited to see this kick off at Battleforge Games

/Im a spoiled gamer living in the best place on earth ;)

AventineCrusader
21-07-2008, 21:14
Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

Crazy Ivan
21-07-2008, 21:24
I just want to say: Fantastic! I'm enjoying it greatly. Thanks for sharing it, AventineCrusader. Marvellous work by you and the other authors!

5Pointer
21-07-2008, 21:27
I'd say that gamers are the ones that should take notes. This hobby is too much tournament oriented, well you get that impression reading forums anyways.
Stuff like this goes to show that there are much more to this hobby than just army list tuning and winning at all costs.

I couldn't agree more, it seems that tournament playing is forced down my throat - when I actually dislike the very concept of it.

Campaigns, narrative games and generally more role playing elements ftw!

ZiggyTempest
21-07-2008, 22:39
Just read through it and it looks good though there seems to be a distinct overpopulation of special characters...

The Kanak skull takers look great :D

gamer2456
22-07-2008, 01:26
I couldn't agree more, it seems that tournament playing is forced down my throat - when I actually dislike the very concept of it.

Campaigns, narrative games and generally more role playing elements ftw!

agreed there. My friends and I have much more fun when theres some story behind our games.

Those Merican Fusiliers look really cool, i want to try some of them

catbarf
22-07-2008, 01:34
What Empire figure is the Byzant guy from?

Barbarossa
22-07-2008, 07:11
Hot damn, this looks professional! A definite must-have!

Commander Lance
22-07-2008, 07:52
What would you say to using the doctrines in standard battles?

Takitron
22-07-2008, 08:20

Dont ask us, ask the person you want to play. A lot of thought and argument went into the changes that they made, and I think they are pretty good. Id say yes, but im a little biased

Eulenspiegel
22-07-2008, 08:31
One of the best (if not the best) GW-related products - excluding models - Ive seen in the last years! Congratulations!

Some of the special characters seem a little .... over the top, though. Its as if each player could write the rules for their own Characters: some are fine and balanced, some are not ;)
("Seize the Initiative" at 5+ is worth any price, and that Sentinel Commander seems a little too packed with super rules, for example.)

AventineCrusader
22-07-2008, 09:16
What Empire figure is the Byzant guy from?

I believe a swordsman or a free company, I forget which, the hat and shoes are putty, the feather in the hat is from a high elf.

Approach your play group about it, they may even want to play the campaign. I know a few LGS' around the world actually allow BOLS rules in tournaments!

One of the best (if not the best) GW-related products - excluding models - Ive seen in the last years! Congratulations!

... and that Sentinel Commander seems a little too packed with super rules, for example.)

Thanks. It takes alot of rules to make a Sentinel special character worth taking :p

ChaosBeast
22-07-2008, 11:05
almost as- heck, more professional than any official GW supplement so far, well done, ive been waiting ages for this.

Malachai
22-07-2008, 12:32
Fantastic work!'I'll going to make a methalor penal legion myself if the author doens't mind.

Templar Ben
22-07-2008, 17:10
I am a bit curious about the Black Templars. On page 26 you show a Black Templar Whirlwind and they are not allowed to take those. Black Templar are taking part but the 6th Army uses the same insignia. I am guessing it was an error in using the 6th Army instead of the Black Templar Chapter Badge on all BT Artwork. Also on page 70 you have the Black Templars organized into companies which is not something they do.

I would say that is a great supplement though.

Killgore
22-07-2008, 17:42
a fantastic addition to 40k, hats of to you chaps

anyone tryed mailing these mini-dex's to gw designers, would be interesting to hear feedback from gw designers

x-esiv-4c
22-07-2008, 17:50
Then again, it's not really a "mini" codex is it? :)

sir.spamalot
22-07-2008, 18:54
wow awesome piece of work here, I thoroughly enjoyed looking through all the legions etc.

cheers for that

Takitron
22-07-2008, 19:03
a fantastic addition to 40k, hats of to you chaps

anyone tryed mailing these mini-dex's to gw designers, would be interesting to hear feedback from gw designers

the Bols crew has hand delivered them to various GW guys at the different GTs and Adepticon. They all seem to like them a lot

AventineCrusader
22-07-2008, 20:51
Fantastic work!'I'll going to make a methalor penal legion myself if the author doens't mind.

Go for it! Although you have to PM me some pics when you are done:D

I am a bit curious about the Black Templars. On page 26 you show a Black Templar Whirlwind and they are not allowed to take those.

Ah, you have to read everything through, the point of the Whirlwind is that the Special Character Marshall Thangdren allows you to take Whirlwinds.

AdmiralGrave
22-07-2008, 23:21
The download link doesn't work for me. Anything you can do to solve this?

weissengel86
23-07-2008, 00:00
certainly the best fan-based piece of work ive ever seen. Very professional looking and well executed. It makes me sad that i dont have any imperial guard models to play with :(

mkerr
23-07-2008, 01:47

I say go for it! If you opponent complains, send him to me and I'll set him straight!

We always send copies to the GW folks first (about 10% of the Pre-Heresy soft covers we printed went to GW).

Across the board, we've received glowing feedback from the design staff at GW. They've been incredibly supportive of our mini-dexes and campaign books.

If you see anything we've missed or the odd typo, please PM one of us (myself, Bigred, Aventine or Jwolf) and we'll fix it.

Thanks for the kind words and all of the support!

brother clavero
23-07-2008, 10:01
GREAT,GREAT work guys!!!! GW should have you help design the next worldwide campaign. Now, if I could only find somebody to play the capaign with :(

Malachai
23-07-2008, 10:26
Go for it! Although you have to PM me some pics when you are done:D

Ah, you have to read everything through, the point of the Whirlwind is that the Special Character Marshall Thangdren allows you to take Whirlwinds.

I'll do that!

Kronos
23-07-2008, 10:49
nice find, love all the different type of loyalist and renegade IG especially the Chrios red Guard. And i defintly agree with CHaos Beast, it is a really good supplement.

Bjorn Stormwolf
23-07-2008, 12:14
Good golly gosh.

Wow. Just..... wow.

Congratulations guys on a truly inspirational piece of work. It would pass for professional easily.

Wow.