PDA

View Full Version : A few 'Ard Boyz lists for comment and critique

Esco Thomson
21-07-2008, 11:18
Good day to all my fellow kings. This weekend I have the 'Ard Boyz finals to attend at Games Day Chicago, and while I have a good idea of what I will be fielding, I have not yet fully committed myself to a specific list.

So I ask for your thoughts, and critiques on these four lists. Feel free to state which one you like the best as well as any suggestions to that or other lists as well.

List A
Tomb King (Destroyer of Eternities, Collar of Shapesh)
Tomb King (Chariot, Flail of Skulls, Chariot of Fire, Golden Eye of Rah-Nutt)
Liche Priest (Skeletal Steed, Dispel Scroll)
Liche Priest (Skeletal Steed, Staff of Ravening)
Liche Priest (Hieratic Jar, Cloak of the Dunes)
Liche Priest (Casket of Souls, Brooch of the Great Dessert)
2 Tomb Swarm
20 Skeleton Archers
20 Skeleton Archers
10 Skeleton Archers
5 Light Horsemen
7 Light Horsemen (Champion)
3 Chariots (Standard Bearer, Icon of the Sacred Eye)
4 Chariots
3 Tomb Scorpions
5 Carrion
24 Tomb Guard (Champion, Standard Bearer, Icon of Rakaph)
2 Screaming Skull Catapults (Skulls of the Foe)

I have 175 points still unused here, but am not sure what to grab, another chariot unit?

List B
Tomb King (Destroyer of Eternities, Collar of Shapesh)
Tomb King (Chariot, Flail of Skulls, Chariot of Fire, Golden Eye of Rah-Nutt)
Liche Priest (Skeletal Steed, Dispel Scroll)
Liche Priest (Hieratic Jar, Cloak of the Dunes)
Liche Priest (Casket of Souls, Brooch of the Great Dessert)
2 Tomb Swarm
20 Skeleton Archers
20 Skeleton Archers
15 Heavy Horsemen (Standard Bearer, War Banner)
5 Light Horsemen
5 Light Horsemen
3 Chariots (Standard Bearer, Icon of the Sacred Eye)
4 Chariots
3 Tomb Scorpions
5 Carrion

This list has 82 points remaining, any ideas on what to spend it on?

List C
Tomb King (Light Armor, Shield, Destroyer of Eternities, Collar of Shapesh)
Liche High Priest (Neferra's Plaques of Mighty Incantations, Golden Ankhra, Cloak of the Dunes)
Tomb Prince (Shield, Great weapon, Scorpion Armor)
Tomb Prince (Shield, Great weapon, Armor of the Ages, Vambraces of the Sun)
Liche Priest (Brooch of the Great Desert, Hieratic Jar)
24 Skeleton Archers (Champion, Standard Bearer, Banner of the Undying Legion)
24 Skeleton Archers (Champion, Standard Bearer)
4 Chariots
4 Chariots
15 Heavy Horsemen (Champion, Standard Bearer, War Banner)
3 Tomb Swarm
5 Carrion
3 Tomb Scorpion
3 Screaming Skull Catapults (Skulls of the Foe)

This is the list that has nabbed me second place at the last two events, so a little piece of me is hesitant to change it at all. Though I do really want to fit the Casket in at least.

List D
Tomb King (Light Armor, Shield, Destroyer of Eternities, Collar of Shapesh)
Liche High Priest (Neferra's Plaques of Mighty Incantations, Golden Ankhra, Cloak of the Dunes)
Tomb Prince (Shield, Great weapon, Scorpion Armor)
Tomb Prince (Shield, Great weapon, Armor of the Ages, Vambraces of the Sun)
Liche Priest (Casket of Souls, Brooch of the Great Desert, Hieratic Jar)
24 Skeleton Archers (Champion, Standard Bearer, Banner of the Undying Legion)
24 Skeleton Archers (Champion, Standard Bearer)
4 Chariots
4 Chariots
5 Light Horsemen
5 Light Horsemen
3 Tomb Swarm
3 Tomb Scorpions
5 Carrion

EDIT: I have 155 points left, forgot the cost of the Carrion in here.

jpf1982
21-07-2008, 18:16
Well I don't know enough about how the tomb kings work to suggest 1 of your 4 lists; but sinec I'm one of the Orc players you beat at the semi's I wish you best of luck good sir and may you smash your enemies assunder.

Krootman
22-07-2008, 04:10
I like list c, and if you could give a short summary of how you play it maybe I can help you find a way to fit the casket into it.

Esco Thomson
22-07-2008, 11:44
I like list c, and if you could give a short summary of how you play it maybe I can help you find a way to fit the casket into it.

I play it defensively for the first few turns, hammer away with the catapults, harass with the Carrion and / or scorpions if needed. Reform before combat and counter charge. Utilize Tomb Guard to spring attack when the time is right as well.

I tried to clean it up a bit, and added a poll, but I don't think I can switch the thing to not say "beasts of chaos", I must have clicked it by accident :P

kroq'gar
22-07-2008, 11:53
The balance of play in c seems alot beter (magic/combat wise).

Bunny Lord
22-07-2008, 12:06
I like D but for the 230 points i would drop 1 swarm and 2 charriots. Then I would add that big unit of heavy cav and a cascket.

I would say hope to see you there but I came in 4th in the semi's :cries:. Good luck though!

Krootman
22-07-2008, 17:40
do you think you really need the casket... I mean its just going to die really fast if you think about it.

Esco Thomson
22-07-2008, 18:54
do you think you really need the casket... I mean its just going to die really fast if you think about it.

I don't fully understand this point.

They have to make it across the table, and into combat, or shoot it down, which is a bit more difficult.

I understand it isn't exactly the pinnacle of sturdy, though I do not think we share the thoughts of its fragility.

These are the reasons I am pushing to find room for the Casket, so as to elaborate my point a bit more:

I have played against a Dwarf army with about as much dispel power as you can have, including five "scrolls", and was eventually able to power some spells through, but it did slow me down for a bit, and obviously disrupted me a lot. I know most armies are not going to pack this much, the point is that the more spells to power through, the better off Tomb Kings are. In most situations, an opponent is going to hold two or three dice for the Casket.

The Casket is very solid against Vampire Counts, both offensively, and defensively, and I do expect to see a solid number at the finals. Alternatively it is a "decent" weapon against Lizards and even High Elves due to the larger cost in the models. I have not tested it against Demons, though I feel it will perform somewhere in the middle.

Lastly, it gives a more defined target to my opponents. I can rest assured that "most" players are going to gun for it, or at the very least, attempt to play around it, in my experiences playing, it has never really been just "ignored", and when you know what your opponent is going to do, it can make a difference in this game. Also, when you toss in the scenarios that will be occurring, splitting your foe between two things can help as well.

Hopefully you can elaborate a bit more as well now, I look forward to hearing your thoughts, and thank you for posting, and to everyone else as well.