PDA

View Full Version : A series of Daemon Lists with a tzeentch flavour: Long Post

Reinnon
23-07-2008, 15:26
alright folks.

it seems like i'm doing daemons in fantasy, and would like some advice on a series of army lists.

I'll admit, i love chaos - in particular tzeentch and i've found myself with a fairly large amount of tzeentch daemons for a 40K army i've been putting together.

These armies will be competitive in nature, i have my ghoul horde for "friendly" games. I'm looking for some advice on how to create effective and themed armies.

please leave comments such as "cheesy git" or "that army looks no fun" or "omg daemons are overpowered!!!!!!" and such like. These army lists are not a moral standpoint.

Below are a series of army lists that i have been planning out during my holiday. I apologise in advance for the length of this post, but it strikes me as better then posting around six seperate threads and thus cluttering up the army list forum.

First list is an army i can't help but like the look of, its a 2000 point horror horde.

All armies are 2000 points.

Horror Horde

Herald of Tzeentch: Chariot, Master of sorcery, Flames of Tzeentch
Total: 225
Herald of Tzeentch: Chariot, Master of sorcery, Flames of Tzeentch
Herald of Tzeentch: Master of Sorcery, Spell Breaker (General)
Total: 175
Herald of Tzeentch: Master of Sorcery, Spell Breaker, Battle Standard Bearer with Standard of Sundering
Total: 250
30 Horrors: Standard Bearer with Icon of Sorcery
Total: 387
30 Horrors: Standard Bearer with Icon of Sorcery
Total: 387
10 Horrors: Standard Bearer with Icon of Sorcery
Total: 147
3 Screamers
Total: 90
3 Flamers
Total: 105

Power Dice: 17
Dispel Dice: 11
Dispel Scrolls: 2
Model Count: 80

The List should hopefully speak for itself. Based around large blocks of horrors that employ magic against the enemy on mass, supported by the two flying chariots, screamers and flamers. The two foot mounted heralds will each join one of the larger 30 man blocks of horrors to give locus and to create a fairly relaible centre.

clear weaknesses include: close combat, reliance on magic and flaming attacks. Weaknesses that could be exploited by high elves for instance. Although the amount of horrors does make my heart warm.

The next army list is one that i know will produce moans, and is definatly on the "list that won't be played too much for sake of player sanity". Yes folks - its a flying circus tzeentch list:

Flying Circus Army

Herald of Tzeentch: Chariot, Master of Sorcery, Flames of Tzeentch
Herald of Tzeentch: Chariot, Master of Sorcery, Flames of Tzeentch
Herald of Tzeentch: Chariot, Master of Sorcery, Spell Breaker
Herald of Tzeentch: Chariot, Master of Sorcery, Spell Breaker, battle standard bearer with greater icon of dispair
Total: 325
11 Horrors: Standard with Icon of Sorcery
Total: 159
11 Horrors: Standard with Icon of Sorcery
Total: 159
10 Horrors: Standard with Icon of Sorcery
4 Screamers
Total: 120
4 Screamers
4 Screamers
4 Screamers
3 Flamers
3 Flamers

Power Dice: 13
Dispel Dice: 9
Dispel Scrolls: 2
Model Count: 58

No prizes for those who can work out the main focus of this little army. Mass screamers doing dize bombs combined with the mounted heralds for magical support. The Chariots will act in a simular way to great eagles, with the BSB adding an extra annoyence to the mix.

Weaknesses: shooting if the terrain is low. The army is fast enough to deal with close combat. Stormbanners will give me a heart attack. This is not an army I intend to use on a regular occurence, only when i'm in a seriously cheesy tournament or in a bad mood will i consider this force. But still, the four heralds on chariots does strike me as a very nice little combo.

I personally prefere the horror horde in feel and gaming level.

The next list employs some Nurgle into the tzeentch mix, as my brother gave me the idea to slowly build up forces for each of the gods. I will admit that nurgle was never my first choice, but pondering the problem i came up with what seems on paper to be a fairly effective nurgle/tzeentch force.

Alliance of Disease and Change

Great Unclean One: Noxious Vapours, Pestilent Mucus, Trappings of Nurgle
Total: 550
Herald of Tzeentch: Spell Breaker, Master of Sorcery
Total: 165
Herald of Nurgle: Level one wizard, Palanquin, Noxious Vapours, Slime Trail
Total: 250
Epidemius, Tallyman of Nurgle
Total: 135
20 Plaguebearers: Full Command, Icon of Eternal Virulence
Total: 295
16 Plaguebearers: Full Command
Total: 222
20 Pink Horrors: Standard Bearer with Icon of Sorcery, musician
Total: 273
3 Flamers

Power Dice: 7
Dispel Dice: 5
Dispel Scrolls: 1
Model Count: 62
Wound Count: 77

This is a bit of an untested area for me, as its the first time i'v ever used nurgle for many years. But here is the theory:

the Great Unclean One is built around the principle of being hard to kill, and punishing to those who try. With ten wounds Mucus becomes that much more useful and with trappings he can take a beating at the best of times. Noxious is there for when people decide to charge him. His role is a simple one, hold up units and use the level one spell (later on boosted by epidemius) to create havoc.

on paper, this guy is evil. Not sure if in action he would be better then an extra herald acting as a BSB.

The Herald of Nurgle sticks with 20 man plaguebearer unit which works in a simular way to the Great Unclean One on the battlefield. This unit will form the centre of my lines supported by the second plaguebearer unit which will serve as Epidemius's body guard.

The herald of tzeentch will stick with the horrors, whoses main goal in life is the providing of dispel dice and casting gift of chaos into the units enagaged with the plaguebearers. With master of sorcery the herald also has added flexibility.

The flamers are there for the simple fact they are flamers - thats reason enough.

Next series of lists involves the use of fateweaver. I love this guy, his rules are fun and fairly powerful. But what i've learned is that he is not a simple exchange for a lord of change, and requires an army to work.

First is a more pure army:

Fateweaver Vanguard

Kairos Fateweaver
Total: 625
Herald of Tzeentch: Power Vortex, Winged Horror
4 Screamers
4 Screamers
5 Flamers
5 Flamers

Power Dice: 16
Dispel Dice: 9
Dispel Scrolls: 0
Model Count: cba to work out

A bit of a gimmick army as it has zero close combat ability and limited magical defense. It does however have fateweaver who can potentially cause havoc.

More of a fun army then anything.

Lastly (i promise) we have a possiblly evil little army. This army i'm planning on building and entering a GT in some distant future with. This army is heavily based of my wanderings upon the Daemonic Legion forums and is based around three special characters who work together to deal death.

Its based around Khorne and Tzeentch.

Alliance of Blood and Change

Kairos Fateweaver
Total: 625
The Blue Scribes
Total: 81
U’zhul, The Skulltaker
Total: 150
10 Horrors
10 Horrors
10 Horrors
6 Flesh Hounds
Total: 210
5 Flesh Hounds
7 Flamers
Total: 245

Power Dice: 12
Dispel Dice: 8
Dispel Scrolls: 0
Model Count: cba to work out.

This army is all around the use of fateweaver, skulltaker and the blue scribes bounching off each other - the blue scribes give more power dice to fateweaver who then through a use of spells can empower skulltaker and do other devilish things.

Skulltakers main purpose is to kill any characters, in particular enemy wizards with the use of steed of shadows (flying skulltaker!), while the flesh hounds will be combined with unseen lurker to get flank charges.

possible changes include getting a dispel scroll onto the herald (maybe by using one of my chariot combos above), giving skulltaker his jugger (but, this means he can't be the target of steed of shadows or bears anger). This army is meant to be competitive.

Well, thats all the lists i've come up with. Thanks for reading this far! Any and all (with exceptions, see above) comments will be grand.

Thanks in Advance