PDA

View Full Version : 500pts of Empire

DutchJunkie
23-07-2008, 17:16
I don't have an Empire army yet, but I'm starting one ASAP. I combined your advices (in the tactics subforum) with my original idea and came up with the following:

* Warrior Priest with Armour of Meteoric Iron 125pts

* In a unit of 19 swordsmen 114pts
- Standard Bearer 10pts
- Musician 5pts
- detachment of 9 halberdiers 45pts

* 10 handgunners 80pts
- marksman with hochland long rifle 25pts

* 5 outriders 105pts

for a total of 499 points!

I'm playing against Vampire Counts (heavy magic), Orcs and Goblins (night goblins) and Dwarfs (shooty and hard hitting) mostly.

Needs tweaking? Or am I on the right road?

Mr.terminatorbob
24-07-2008, 23:50
I dont think you would need outriders in such a small game. I would think that Pistoliers would be a better use of points. I belive that you can get a Warrior Preist with a four up armour save by giving him Heavy Armour, and a sheild, which I belive gives him a 4+ save.

Also, instead of buying all the box set's by themselves, buy the battalion box set instead. it gives you the Pistoliers/outriders, the ten handgunners, and ten of the 19 state troops you want, along with 8 knights and a great cannon.

Then just add in the warrior preist, a box of state troops, and possibly a box of free company in place of the halbrerdier's, However, I havent even played a game myself ethier, so take my post with a pinch of salt.

DutchJunkie
27-07-2008, 13:27
I dont think you would need outriders in such a small game. I would think that Pistoliers would be a better use of points. I belive that you can get a Warrior Preist with a four up armour save by giving him Heavy Armour, and a sheild, which I belive gives him a 4+ save.

Also, instead of buying all the box set's by themselves, buy the battalion box set instead. it gives you the Pistoliers/outriders, the ten handgunners, and ten of the 19 state troops you want, along with 8 knights and a great cannon.

Then just add in the warrior preist, a box of state troops, and possibly a box of free company in place of the halbrerdier's, However, I havent even played a game myself ethier, so take my post with a pinch of salt.

Sorry, but the text above isn't totally clear to me ..

Maybe you're right about the Outriders/Pistoliers. I could spent that points otherwise. Thanks for the buying tip, but i already got some of the models; the box isn't money well spent for me.

Thanks for your comments!

Benji550
27-07-2008, 15:05
Warrior Priest: Good balance between magic and cc abilities. However, because he doesn't specialize in either you need to look out for him in cc and not expect his spells to go off. I would give him a great weapon for those high toughness dwarves and vampires. BTW, Warrior Priest w/ Armour of Meteoric Iron and great weapon = 119.

You might wanna consider using a Battle Wizard @ lvl2 w/ Van Horstmann's Speculum.
When you get to CC most people will accept your challenge with a unit champion. However, this is where the Hochland long comes in. Instead of shooting characters who carry heavy armour and ward saves you shoot at the unit champion of the unit accompanying the runelord/vampire/juicy character. When the unit gets to close combat you challenge with your wizard and you opponent must accept with their juicy character (who is screwed) or remove them from that round of combat entirely.

Core: Good, solid choices.

Outriders: You may have noticed that they are more cost effective than handgunners but at such small points their frail nature means that you might not be able to support them adequately.

IMO, I would consider a Great Cannon or a detachment of 10 handgunners for the swordsmen and a detachment of 5 free company for the handgunners. The free company would be a cheap bait unit that could be used to give your opponent a headache.

Spend your leftover points on one halberdier and one swordsman.