PDA

View Full Version : 2250 VC: Strong Magic, Tourney ready?

ScottyFargo
24-07-2008, 01:22
2250 Pts - Vampire Counts Army

1 Vampire Lord @ 450 Pts
General; Magic Level 3; Necromancy
The Arkayne: Master of the Black Arts [50]
The Arkayne: Forbidden Lore [35]
The Master: Summon Ghouls [15]
Wristbands of Black Gold [30]
Skull Staff [65]

1 Vampire @ 185 Pts
Magic Level 1; Necromancy
The Arkayne: Dark Acolyte [30]
The Master: Summon Ghouls [15]
Flayed Hauberk [25]
Sword of Might [15]

1 Vampire @ 195 Pts
Magic Level 1; Necromancy
The Arkayne: Master of the Black Arts [50]
Helm of Commandment [30]
Black Periapt [15]

1 Wight King @ 235 Pts
Battle Standard Bearer; Great Weapon; Heavy armour
The Drakenhof Banner [125]

1 Varghulf @ 175 Pts
Bestial Fury [0]

6 Black Knights @ 228 Pts
Barding; Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; Standard

1 Hell Knight @ [16] Pts

7 Skeletal steed @ [0] Pts

19 Grave Guard @ 329 Pts
Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Standard
Banner of the Barrows [45]

1 Crypt Keeper @ [12] Pts

1 Corpse Cart @ 100 Pts
Miasma of Deathly Vigor [0]
Balefire [0]

5 Dire Wolves @ 40 Pts

5 Dire Wolves @ 40 Pts

14 Crypt Ghouls @ 112 Pts

10 Crypt Ghouls @ 80 Pts

10 Crypt Ghouls @ 80 Pts

Casting Pool: 12

Dispel Pool: 6

Models in Army: 76

Total Army Cost: 2249

Very new player, only a handful of games under my belt so far and I am still learning the rules. As I have limited game experience, I hope this list isn't groanworthy with a heavy cheese factor, but I did strive to include the things that I found the most fun for me to play with. However, VC has probably earned it's reputation for cheese with the Helm of Commandmant, Regen Banner, solid number of power dice, and skull staff. All of which I shamelessly wanted to use in the same list.

So, heavy on the casting dice, full Vampire spell list available to the lord. I hope to sit the ghouls further back on side of the table and raise them larger while the Black Knights, Grave Guard, Varghulf and Dire Wolves step out to engage.

I had considered the Helm of Commandment on the lord, and Scepter de Noirot on the Vampire who now has the Helm and Periapt. Am I right in thinking that extra dice that he's got from MoTBA will be sufficient in raising any fresh zombie units high enough to serve as an adequate tar pit? Are the Wristbands of Black Gold sufficient protection on the lord as I am planning on keeping him offensively placed for the magic phase and still avoid H2H? Do they only protect against against ranged and magic missiles or are ALL magic targetting covered under the ETC?

Wight Lord in with the Grave Guard to make a very powerful and tough infantry unit, 3 ranks of 7. Vampire Hero w/ Dark Acolyte and Summon Ghouls bunkered in one of the ghoul units, raising and adding some combat abilities. Vampire Hero w/ MoTBA placed according to the spell he rolls, I suppose. Corpse Cart either behind the GG or Ghouls with hopes to keep it out of combat, protect the units from enemy casting, and try to get the ASF cast off.

And lastly, is this list super cheesy and would it be unfun to play against? Early on I had great success against my friend, which turned into less success with more "fringe" style lists. I'd prefer to play something that won't make everyone roll their eyes. Thank you for your thoughts.

Andrew Luke
24-07-2008, 04:23
Wow, thats probably the hardest you can make a VC list lol. Only thing I can think of that might work better is ditching the corpsecart, or switching it to a lodestone. Magic defense isn't really needed in an army this dice heavy, unless your playing Tzeentch or something. I recommend banner of the dead legion on the knights, double unit strength on knights can really surprise the opponent, as them losing the outnumber bonus is effectively a 2 point swing in your favor!!

Kalec
24-07-2008, 05:10
I would recommend dropping two ghouls to bring the dire wolves up to 6 strong. This lets them negate ranks after 3 casualties rather then two, which is a large part of their usefulness. Besides, with so many summoners, you won't miss the ghouls for long anyway.

khurdur
24-07-2008, 07:00
neat, very neat. You have a hammer in the Black Knights and a very sturdy anvil in the Grave guards, lots of magic power, essential for a VC army and support units-dire wolves corpse cart

ScottyFargo
24-07-2008, 14:46
Thanks all for your comments. There are a lot of minor tweaks I could consider, and the thought of increasing the frontage of the dire wolves is not bad at all. I hadn't thought about that at all, very smart to try and keep their US at above 5, thanks. Banner of the Dead Legion was also one of the things I considered, and it is a move I will probably make considering I will most likely field the Varghulf near the Black Knights so marching them will not be an issue.

Re: Lodestone: Yeah that is probably the right call, as the Skull Staff is already giving a bonus to the die roll, and I will undoubtedly be raising the ghouls to start off.

As a new player, I am limited in what other options I have to field. I have yet to purchase any bats, swarm or fell, only have 10 dire wolves, you know the drill. I'm glad the build is competetive because I can field it without proxying anything.

So one last question for anyone else who reads this: Wristbands of Black Gold suitable protection for the casty lord, or will they not protect against all magic targetting? Thanks again.

Andrew Luke
24-07-2008, 17:02
Wristbands get a big meh from me. None of your spells require LOS except Gaze, so you should probably just hide him, and if he's in a unit, almost nothing can target him anyway. (There are a few notable exceptions, like Pavane of Slaanesh, which combined with their leadership nerfing can really eff you up.) I feel they are more necessary on a Dragon Lord, where large target status makes enemy shooting a real threat. Casty lords are pretty all or nothing, and vamps have crap for defensive items, so you could spend the points on more casty goodness, like a power stone or bound spell.

ScottyFargo
24-07-2008, 17:13
Casty lords are pretty all or nothing, and vamps have crap for defensive items, so you could spend the points on more casty goodness, like a power stone or bound spell.

Thanks. That's how I feel too, and a bound spell would definitely boost the offense.

g0ddy
24-07-2008, 22:22
I like to think of the great weapon armed - regenerating grave guard w/ banner of the barrows... as an anvil... with some sort of outlandish-looking pneumatically-powered jackhammer-esque pounding device attached to it...

~ zilla

therisnosaurus
25-07-2008, 00:40
12 dice is nice, but you only really have one bound spell and one cart to assist raising. If you're going to make summoning the core mechanic of your army, put a little faith in it rather than ALSO taking hardcore beater units.

Further, your two little caster vamps aren't very versatile and are quite vulnerable. Try mounted configuarations or weapons/items to allow them to perform another role- skimisher/warmachine hunting, combat res boosting, challenge soaking, etc.

ScottyFargo
25-07-2008, 01:12
12 dice is nice, but you only really have one bound spell and one cart to assist raising. If you're going to make summoning the core mechanic of your army, put a little faith in it rather than ALSO taking hardcore beater units.

Further, your two little caster vamps aren't very versatile and are quite vulnerable. Try mounted configuarations or weapons/items to allow them to perform another role- skimisher/warmachine hunting, combat res boosting, challenge soaking, etc.

Solid critique, thank you. I suppose when I set out creating the list I didn't exactly know for certain what I was aiming to do, I just found the combination of GG w/ Regen Banner BSB and Black Knights to be the strength of the army, while being able to support raising the required core to more hearty numbers.

Dread Knight w/ Walach's Bloody Hauberk would make for a substantial mounted fighter, but I didn't want to drop another power die when I could get a very decent armor save of 2+ and what I feel is solid STR with the Sword of Might, while keeping the ability to cast IoN as well. I guess I rather assume I will be using the lord to cast more damage spells than maily buffing the Ghouls, only using remaining dice as they lay. Thanks for giving me something else to consider!