PDA

View Full Version : 1500pt Necromancer Army

GateSeven
23-04-2005, 11:11
Well, they used to be good, don't know how this would fare these days though:

General: Level 2 Necromancer, 2 Dispell Scrolls -150pts

Wight Lord Army Standard, Barded Steed, Heavy Armour, Banner of the Barrows (Unit ALWAYS hit's on a 3+) - Joins Black Knights - 146pts

Wight Lord, Heavy Armour, Shield, Barded Steed - Joins Black Knights - 78pts
--------------------------------------------------------------------
25 Skeletons - Light Armour, Shields, Hand Weapons, Full Cmnd, 275pts
25 Skeletons - Light Armour, Shields, Hand Weapons, Full Cmnd, 275pts
25 Skeletons - Light Armour, Shields, Spears, Full Cmnd, 300pts
--------------------------------------------------------------------
8 Black Knights, Barding, Full Cmnd - 240pts

That leaves me with 36pts, and I deffinately want to keep the wight lordss blade as it is, so I don't know what to spend it on?

With the necromancer, I was thinking I could just walk along behind my units so they could march, and so that he would never get into combat AND be shield from missile fire (hopefully)?

Thanks,

EvC
24-04-2005, 18:04
I would seriously consider dropping a few of the skellies and getting a banshee. They are one of the best units in the game from my limited experience with them. Plus you'll have a few more models to raise in reserve, which is never a bad thing.

GateSeven
24-04-2005, 18:37
I was thinking that, but i'm not sure how well a banshee would fit into the theme of a necromancer amry?

Roman
24-04-2005, 19:41
atm, you have 1 support unit.... You really need more.

Banshee is rather expensive, specially at 1.5k..... It does follow the theme though. Btw, this is supposed to be a necromancer army? or a Wight army? I'd say drop 1 wight for a necro which will give you good magic. The unit of knights can easily win combats with 1 wight lord in them, especially at 1,5k

I suggest doing this:
- Swap 1 Wight lord for a necromancer with book of arkhan.
- Drop a unit of skeletons, swap it for 1 extra knight to replace the replaced wight lord
and take 2 units of 5 ghouls, 2 units of 5 wolves and either some bats or a banshee
- Remove 1 scroll, and replace it by black periapt; at 1.5k 1 scroll is more than enough
and the periapt can give you a very flexible magicphase.
- Take off 5 skeletons from each unit, with 6-7 powerdice you will have no difficulties
raising them to 25big.
- If there still are points left, it could be nice to add some zombies or spirit hosts for
the theme

GateSeven
24-04-2005, 21:34
atm, you have 1 support unit.... You really need more.

Banshee is rather expensive, specially at 1.5k..... It does follow the theme though. Btw, this is supposed to be a necromancer army? or a Wight army? I'd say drop 1 wight for a necro which will give you good magic. The unit of knights can easily win combats with 1 wight lord in them, especially at 1,5k

I suggest doing this:
- Swap 1 Wight lord for a necromancer with book of arkhan.
- Drop a unit of skeletons, swap it for 1 extra knight to replace the replaced wight lord
and take 2 units of 5 ghouls, 2 units of 5 wolves and either some bats or a banshee
- Remove 1 scroll, and replace it by black periapt; at 1.5k 1 scroll is more than enough
and the periapt can give you a very flexible magicphase.
- Take off 5 skeletons from each unit, with 6-7 powerdice you will have no difficulties
raising them to 25big.
- If there still are points left, it could be nice to add some zombies or spirit hosts for
the theme

Well thanks for your advice, but in my old 4th ed undead necro army, it was 1 Necromancer in charge, then he had a couple of wights as his b*tches. I personall don't feel that Ghouls, Dire Wolves or Bats fit into the theme of the army atall, as they are very vampiric aspects of the list (Dire Wolves are from sylvania, bats are obviously 'vampiric', and ghouls are just a bit too inhumane for a necromancer (however insane or evil he is))

Tbh, I can't see many armies having OVER 6 units in 1500pts, i'd only ever imagin 5. So I think I might drop the unit size to 20 and take 4 units of skellies??

EvC
24-04-2005, 22:03
Ghouls certainly fit in- a necromancer has to have a few dregs with functioning brains to carry out his orders. A banshee has no greater connection with vampires than it does with a necromaner- anyone who can bind her will can make use of her, and a magic user makes more sense for that than a vampire.

In my army, the ghouls are cannibals and the necromancer is their shaman... I'm sure you can find a way to rationalise stuff if you really want!

therat
26-04-2005, 22:38
Tbh, I can't see many armies having OVER 6 units in 1500pts, i'd only ever imagin 5.

Yeah, kinda like my skaven, which boasts 11 units in 1500 ;) Anyway, I like the idea of a necromancer army, I think I'll make one for 2k. I'd agree with what was said about the dispel scrolls and the single necromancer, give the guy an apprentice and boot that 2nd wight lord. Ghouls being in theme depends on the necromancer's "social status." If he has high prowess, I can't see him being too happy with a couple gangly ghoul groups groping about amongst his properly raised and well regimented skeletons. But if he's just some nut raising corpses to get off on killing people with them in the most gruesome ways possible, I'm sure he'd love the ghouls like his own. Keep in mind, also, that the game changed a lot when 6th ed hit, what worked before doesn't do what it used to. Who knows though, it could work better now. I still agree with dropping the 2nd wight lord though.

Scythe
28-04-2005, 12:25
First, some pure tactical advice. You've put all your fighting characters in a unit of rock hard knights, and left your skeletons unsupported. VC doesn't work that way. To use skeletons (or zombies) effectively, you need either a fighting character with them, or some supporting units like ghouls, dire wolves or spirits (and preferably both). Currently, your army has no fighting characters and no supporting units (I concider a unit of 10 knights as a pure rank breaker). Point is, tough your knights might break any unit they contact, the rest of your army will be outclassed. From my experience with VC this approach doesn't work. Black knights function good enough on their own (especially in low pts battles), and adding 2 characters is overkill.
Also, the army doesn't really plays like a necromancers army. A single wizard in an army that heavily depends on wizards is not the best solution. I'd strongly advice you to concider dropping a single wight lord in favour for a second necromancer (best the battle standard; reasonably waste of pts and the banner of the barrows is way safer on the unit standard anyway).

Secondly, I understand that you try to steer away from wolves and bats to remain in theme, but there are ways to incorporate dire wolves into an army without them acctually being wolves. Think of zombie hounds etc. Some conversions really do wonders.