PDA

View Full Version : Moding the hierophant

Strictly Commercial
01-11-2005, 03:44
I have a couple questions for those who know something about points assignment.

I have a hierophant model and am currently in the sanding and construction process, but I really don't want to attach those gun arms. Mainly because I have always thought nids with guns looked dumb (not intended as a flame for nid armies with firepower) and my current nid army is a no ranged attack brood. What I want to do is use some left over scything talons in their place, which would look cool. I plan to use this model only in friendly pure fun games (sadly, not all my games fit this description) and I need an idea of what its point value would be. I would be more than willing to pay the 835 points and just not fire them, but most of my opponents feel a little cheated if they don't face the onslaught of the full points of an army and this would be a pretty big number (two S10 ap3 large blast weapons is pretty significant I admit).

Any ideas?

big rock standing
01-11-2005, 08:23
i painted the forgeworld one, and while i had it i tried it out against all kinds of opponants. in my opinion i would probably drop the price to about 720pts and give it an extra attack.

this may seem like an awfully big drop but the usefullness of these weapons on something that can fire them both in one turn, move out of combat and then fire again before moving back in is worth alot of points

just my two cents

Charax
01-11-2005, 08:55
seems fairly simple - dig up the Tyranid Monstrosity rules and work out the Heirophant's stats w/guns (this should give you roughly the same points cost) then remove the guns and replace them with something more to your liking, and use that points cost - explain to your opponent what you've done and I'm sure they'll have no problem with it.

Scythe
01-11-2005, 13:17
Of course, if you don't have access to the Monstrosity rules, you could always reason the 2 S10 blasts as being overcharged warp blasts instead of bio cannons.

Strictly Commercial
03-11-2005, 07:06
Of course, if you don't have access to the Monstrosity rules, you could always reason the 2 S10 blasts as being overcharged warp blasts instead of bio cannons.

That's true, or you could say he is spewing them from his mouth. Which would also be cool.

Charax
03-11-2005, 07:30
Well, I dug up the pdf of the hierophant rules from the Forgeworld site (the test ones, so I don't know if they changed between that and the final printing.)

Tyranid Razor Hierophant:
940 points
WS: 6
BS: 3
S: 10
T: 8
W: 5
I: 5 (upped from 3)
A: 3 (+2)
Ld: 10
Sv: 2+/5+
Mass Points: 3
Movement type: Agile (beast)

Weapons:
2x Scything Talons (+2 attacks)
1x Razor Claws (Treat them as Titan Killer D3, the original rules are overly complicated)
1x Acid Spray:
Range: Template
S: 5
AP: 3
Mode: Assault 1
Gargantuan Bio-Plasma: (3 bio-plasma attacks)
Psychic Powers:
The Terror
Warp Shield (5+ Invulnerable save)
Synapse creature (double range)

How's that? it's pricey, but then so is the standard one, and this can quite happily take out anything it comes into contact with ("Hello, Mr Dreadnought. That'll be me going first, with 5 attacks doing 10+2D6 AP, and D3 damage results on the relevant table....Mr Dreadnought? Where'd you go?")

Scythe
03-11-2005, 08:43
Not bad, tough quite expensive as you mentioned.

Maybe a bit of topic, but does anyone know if the monstrosity rules have been updated anywhere with the newer codex options?

Charax
03-11-2005, 08:49
not officially, no (hell, they can't be bothered to FAQ the new codex, why would they have spent the time updating the monstrosity rules for it?)

Scythe
03-11-2005, 08:58
Shame tough... the new biomorphs and bioweapon rules would quite change the rules... Maybe if I have some time to spare I'll write an updated version myself...

Charax
03-11-2005, 10:21
I was thinking the same thing, PM me if you'd like to work together.

Scythe
04-11-2005, 17:17
I'll keep it in mind... Should try to find some time in the comming days...

Strictly Commercial
09-11-2005, 09:51
I certainly appreciate all the help, but now that you all have me thinking, what I really would like is a link to a page that has the rules, as WD 255s are a little scarce around here. That would win you a year of no-prizes as far as I'm concerned.

Charax
09-11-2005, 11:49
the first Chapter Approved compilation has them, but any page online that has them would be illegal, and we'd probably get into trouble for linking to it.