PDA

View Full Version : Silly movie reference thing with Lucius

DapperAnarchist
27-07-2008, 22:19
Uh, this is silly, and stupid, but I realised something - Lucius the Eternal is kinda like Santa in The Santa Clause... What with the kill and become thing...

Anyone else got silly comparisons? Can anyone rival "Lucius is Santa?"

olmsted
27-07-2008, 22:24
the bible stole the story of the favorite son fighting against his daddy from 40k

nazrag
28-07-2008, 14:47
Uh, this is silly, and stupid, but I realised something - Lucius the Eternal is kinda like Santa in The Santa Clause... What with the kill and become thing...

Anyone else got silly comparisons? Can anyone rival "Lucius is Santa?"

no idea what you are talking about :confused:

heretics bane
28-07-2008, 19:15
the bible stole the story of the favorite son fighting against his daddy from 40k

Pretty much so except The ark angel micheal stopped him unlike sangueas(sp?) who was killed by him.

A once heard someone mention that the Animus Speculum is also a tool a used by an Proctologists but i dont know if this is true or not:confused:

starlight
28-07-2008, 19:19
It's called a speculum, nothing sinister about it.

The *kill someone to become them* is rather old. In The Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony, that's how you come to fill the office of Death.

PondaNagura
28-07-2008, 19:54
there's also the notion that dire things will happen if you kill someone blessed by the gods. although much older traditions/myths around the Mediterranean had the younger prince kill the older king to obtain power.

olmsted
28-07-2008, 20:29
no idea what you are talking about :confused:

hes talking about the tim allen santa movies. he kills santa by knocking him off a roof and in turn becomes santa.

curse you disney.

Templar Ben
28-07-2008, 20:33
Well he did have to put on the suit first. It was the "Santa Clause". The second was about the "Mrs. Clause" and the third (hopefully last) was about the "Escape Clause".

Grimtuff
28-07-2008, 20:34
A once heard someone mention that the Animus Speculum is also a tool a used by an Proctologists but i dont know if this is true or not:confused:

Seeing as "animus" refer to eyes, then no.....

Yes, there are Speculums used in medical practice, but they are not called that.

Lotan
30-07-2008, 00:02
Don't think animus refers to the eyes.....thats ocular...

A speculum is a device to hold a cavity open for examination, so yes, proctoogists do use it.

All I can find about animus is Carl Jung, Analytical Psychology, and anima or animus is ones unconscious or inner self. Which in turn may have been misinterpreted by GW, as it regularly happens, to mean soul.

So, by those references, its probably a poor fitting name to give something that lets Centurious look into someones soul or something along those lines...

And Grimtuff I don't know where you got animus meaning eyes from...english isn't your strong point me thinks! :P

Lt.Bradford
30-07-2008, 00:14
"Animus" is latin for things like Spirit, courage.

Lotan
30-07-2008, 00:52
well there you go! Spirit, soul etc! Definately not eye based nonsense!

swordwind
30-07-2008, 02:36
The entire Night Lords background.

baphomael
30-07-2008, 03:28
It's called a speculum, nothing sinister about it.

The *kill someone to become them* is rather old. In The Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony, that's how you come to fill the office of Death.

For the benefit of those not familiar with the word, a speculum is, most usually, either a:-
Mirror or reflector, especially one of polished metal, as on a reflecting telescope.

A surgical instrument for rendering a part accessible to observation, as by enlarging an orifice (favourate of gynecologists).

Or, in ornithology, a lustrous or specially colored area on the wings of certain birds.

The animus speculum, specifically, is the weapon that culexus assassins use. Its that weird eye-piece on their helmets. The weapons effect, presumably, happens as the weapon 'opens' like a speculum.

The meaning of animus is:-

1. strong dislike or enmity; hostile attitude; animosity.
2. purpose; intention; animating spirit.
3. (in the psychology of C. G. Jung) the masculine principle, esp. as present in women (contrasted with anima).

The animus speculum, then, is just a flowery pseudo-latin (high gothic) way of describing the weapons use and function - ie its a weapon that acts in the manner of a speculum which is directed at a particularly disliked foe (in this sense, psykers).

jma037
30-07-2008, 05:00
The entire Night Lords background.

Nightlord = The Punisher?

nazrag
30-07-2008, 12:58
Nightlord = The Punisher?

every emo kid in existance :p

Faustburg
30-07-2008, 14:29
Speculum simply means something you look through or in, originally a metal mirror, and then in ancient greek and rome transfering the meaning to surgical instrument used to look through when examining body cavities

Animus means soul, or rather one part of that in the greeks rather complicated view of it. Jung borrowed the term for his theories, he didn't coin it.

The point about the Night Lords background is not that their Primarch is a carbon copy of the Punisher (come on now, you can probably name half a dozen characters he would fit as inspired by as well..), but that it is jokingly derivated from Joseph Conrads Heart of Darkness and the movie adaptation Apocalypse Now!.

Shaper Shakra
30-07-2008, 14:44
The story of Night Haunter being killed is ripped from "Apocalypse Now". He's a rogue military commander who is killed by an assassin named M'Shen. M'Shen...Martin Sheen...Martin Sheen has to go kill the guy in "Apocalypse Now"...I think there were some other similarities but I don't remember them.

Wolfblade670
31-07-2008, 05:24
Yeah, I mean look at the Night Haunter's name: Konrad Kurz. Jospeh Conrad, Colonel Kurtz...

starlight
31-07-2008, 05:42
Oh for....:(

Don't tell me we're just getting this *now*...? :cries:

Warhammer is written by nerds who watch too many movies.

G.I.JimmyJazz
31-07-2008, 05:59
didnt starship troopers model there troopers after the imperial guard and the bugs after tyrinid
i think thats old news but im throwing it in

starlight
31-07-2008, 06:07
For the love of all that's fluffy...:eek:

Are you serious?:eek:

:cries:

Burning Star IV
31-07-2008, 06:43
For the love of all that's fluffy...:eek:

Are you serious?:eek:

:cries:

Are you gonna be alright?

StormCrow
31-07-2008, 06:56
didnt starship troopers model there troopers after the imperial guard and the bugs after tyrinid
i think thats old news but im throwing it in

Haha, not quite. Most people here (me included) speculate that the space marines did in fact take 'inspiration' from starship troopers. Although it must be said the guys in the movies did look quite a bit like imperial guard.

I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet; Sly Marbo the catachan special character... and the far more obvious "we'll be back" rule.

The best one is in the fantasy book for tomb kings though... Clara Lofht :rolleyes:

starlight
31-07-2008, 07:02
Not if people keep proving how incredibly little they know about the world around them...:(

Well, actually I don't care one way or the other, I just wouldn't let my kids grow up with such a weak grasp of literature.

An old saying:

Best to be silent and thought the fool, than to break the silence and remove all doubt.

It means, if you don't know, there's not much point in running around *telling* everyone. We have this magical contraption called the *Internet* that we can look things up on and figure out stuff, all by our selves... Although just because we *can* doesn't mean we *will*...:(

Almost *everything* in GW's worlds has been stolen from somewhere else. There are no *easter eggs*, no *ZOMG, isn't Primarch X *sooooo* similar to this book they made me read in school? Did they steal it from GW? OMG, GW is gonna be pissed*

Sweet poopie pants people, where do you think they got the ideas from in the first place...? *All* of the Primarchs, Xenos races, etc, etc are based on existing models an stories.

Maybe if the stories were just coming out, but this stuff has been around for twenty years.:eek:

Yes, some of us are that old, that we not only remember the GW stuff coming out for the first time, but we also remember some of the stuff *it was based on*!:eek:

Haha, not quite. Most people here (me included) speculate that the space marines did in fact take 'inspiration' from starship troopers.

The book, not the movie.

I'll go sit down with a nice cuppa...

Geddonight
31-07-2008, 07:32
Forgive them, Starlight... not everyone reads the same books as we old farts... and if the movie was their first exposure to the SST universe, can you blame them for not going deeper?

Remember the controversy of Blizzard's Star Craft & GW's 40k? Now THOSE were some fun times

Wolfblade670
31-07-2008, 07:39
Hey, I'm practically a card carrying member of the Federal Party, I take a copy of Starship Troopers with me whenever I go out of town. You don't wanna know how many times I've turned on the Military Channel and griped "Screw this, where's my Marauder?". (Or brought up flogging as an adequate punishment for DUI... :D )

Speaking of which, have you seen the trailer for the new one? Makes me wanna gouge my eyes out...

And I happen to be a big Rambo fan, so I wanted someone else to get the Sly Marbo reference. :D

Burning Star IV
01-08-2008, 04:10
Not if people keep proving how incredibly little they know about the world around them...:(

Well, actually I don't care one way or the other, I just wouldn't let my kids grow up with such a weak grasp of literature.

An old saying:

Best to be silent and thought the fool, than to break the silence and remove all doubt.

Man...not to sound too harsh, but we're talking Starship troopers here, not Proust or Nabokov. Why be so derisive toward one who put forth a thought which only seems ridiculous to those steeped in knowledge of this narrow field?

Erm...anyway, OT, well...honestly I don't know. I probably don't have any parallels between 40k and anything else that would be new to anyone.

DapperAnarchist
01-08-2008, 19:38
the movie Starship Troopers originally had nothing to do with the book - Paul Verhoven just thought "hey, you know what! Lets make a satire on modern military propaganda, which is also a scifi" then was told his script sounded exactly like Heinleins book, but without the power armour. So he took the name, and the MI name, and left the rest of the script as it was. And then got slammed for not keeping to the book. Poor misunderstood Verhoven.

SST sequel? Did people not learn from Robocop? Oh dear...