PDA

View Full Version : Snow and Cows on Terra?

Hrw-Amen
28-07-2008, 12:15
I was wondering, does anyone actually know what Terra is supposed to be like in the 40K universe? Does it still have oceans, wild spaces and the like or has all the water long since evaporated and the oxygen boiled away, leaving everything under toxic smog and unable to breath unless in some sort of enclosed habdome?

I was looking through what i could find and it seams that the Emperor's Palace is in the Himalayas. Do you think people still go there to do mountaineering and skying, that sort of thing?

Do you still get green fields with animals like cows and sheep, or is everything barren dust and rock?

Is the Great Pyramid still there and stuff like that?

If the water is not all boiled away have the ice caps long since melted and sea levels risen swamping a lot of the land mass?

From my own point of view I kind of imagine it to be totally barren and covered almost entirely with metal / synthetic structures. (A bit like a Borg Sphere.) But i could be totally wrong, just wondered what other's imagined it to be like?

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
28-07-2008, 12:50
Alright, then...

1). The surface of Holy Terra is entirely urbanized, rivaling the complexity of a planet-wide hive city.

2). The atmosphere itself remains, and is, to my best recollection, breathable, but the oceans were lost to orbital bombardment during the Seige- Horus evaporated what remained of them with lance weapons in order to gain a larger surface area for troop and equipment landings.

3). No, it's the Astronomicion that's in the Himalayas, along with the genetics labs where the Primiarchs and the first Asteres were born. The Emperor's Palace covers the entire continent of Europe. Yes, the whole thing. The Inquisition owns Antarctica, by the way.

4). No. See 1, 2, 3.

5). I honestly don't know. There might be, but my best guess is otherwise.

6). See 2. (Although there is still ice covering Antarctica, and snow in the Himalayas and at the poles...)

I believe there's a short segment at the beginning of Firewarrior (the rather crappy, forgettable shooter) that shows Terra from space. There you have it.

ADF
28-07-2008, 12:50
Terra is a hive world, but more than that, it is completely covered by buildings (think Coruscant from SW). There is no natural vegetation, only in bio-domes and ceremonial parks. Large parts of the planets surface are occupied by the Imperial Palace (Northern Europe and parts of North America). The site of the Emperors Throne is somewhere in England, the beacon that projects the Astronomican is situated in the Himalayas, the Inquisition resides in the Antarctica base, and there are at least 3 spaceports where millinons of pilgrims arrive each day to worship the emperor. Other monuments include the convent sanctum, seat of the ecclessiarchy (somewhere in south africa, if I remeber correctly) and the caves of Hnang-May, a forbidden zone in China, where the Inquisition discovered cave paintings that show a demonic incursion. Almost every inch of the rest of the planet is cobered by the Administratum buildings, cause after all, the bureaucracy of the whole empire is guided from Terra.

So sorry, but neither cows nor snow for you.

PondaNagura
28-07-2008, 14:42
i wish i i could recall where i heard this, probably older fluff, or even from the eisenhorn series, that some of the oceans are just locked underground, those not exposed/evaporated by the heresy bombardment.
not sure where i'd get that image from.

Emperor's Grace
28-07-2008, 14:47
I always imagined it yet further artificial.

The "surface" being covered in buildings but also being miles above the actual planet surface with hundreds/thousands of levels bulit on top of each other through the millennia. Cities on top of cities, with all natural features gone - present only in places they've been purposely built (zoos, parks).

I like to think that all Terran species are stored (genetically) in the data archives and "grown" as needed. So cows in tourist parks, maybe.

Essentially like Old New York from Futurama...

As to weather/air, I'd vote breathable by artifice. The AM keep the atmosphere nice enough but without oceans and with the years of war it's not naturally nice.

pookie
28-07-2008, 14:51
thers a good description in the Inq wars of terra (iirc) Draco takes years to get from the Space Port to The Throne room, gave me the impression of one Huge City Wide Planet with very little in the way of Grass/trees etc, although at the Time of the HH i think Terra was a lot more 'natural' and only since then has it turned into a Shrine/Fortress/Hive world. ( think combination of the three ).

chaos0xomega
28-07-2008, 17:56
I'm pretty sure I recall reading that Terra has no atmosphere(that "boiled" away during the Horus Heresy too...). Otherwise what everyone else said was right, giant planet-wide city. Not unlike Coruscant from star wars.

Hrw-Amen
28-07-2008, 18:09
Surely though if Horus evaporated the oceans with lance fire then the water vapour would still be in the atmosphere and would have eventually fell back to the surface as rain, or at least a portion of it would have? Unless of course he actually did something to seperate the hydrogen and oxygen and then burn them off independently, but that would have destroyed the oxygen in the atmosphere as well making it unbreathable.

i wish i i could recall where i heard this, probably older fluff, or even from the eisenhorn series, that some of the oceans are just locked underground, those not exposed/evaporated by the heresy bombardment.

There was a bit in Eisenhorm about some oceans being locked under the surface, or at least a hive extending down below sea level. Didn't his house exist in a sub ocen layer that looked out into the sea? But that was not on Terra as I recall. Still there is no reason why the same could not apply on Terra I guess, a bit like a giant sea lab, only also existing many storeys up into the air as well. Could make for some interesting restaurant venues.

I believe there's a short segment at the beginning of Firewarrior (the rather crappy, forgettable shooter) that shows Terra from space. There you have it.

I have noticed that section at the start of Firewarrior but it is not that clear. I did wonder what that long thing aticking out from the planet is? Is it a kind of huge space dock, or smoke from a very large chimney or something totally different?

No cows then, not even a grox?

The site of the Emperors Throne is somewhere in England

So is the Emperor English then?

Eryx_UK
28-07-2008, 18:16

So is the Emperor English then?

I believe he was born in Turkey.

Lt.Bradford
28-07-2008, 19:16
) and the caves of Hnang-May, a forbidden zone in China, where the Inquisition discovered cave paintings that show a demonic incursion.

Thats new to me. Is that from the Demon codex?

chaos0xomega
28-07-2008, 19:22
considering that lance weaponry has an output equivalent to a star (according the fluff), seperating the hydrogen from the oxygen and burning away the atmo wouldn't be all that hard to do...

LexxBomb
28-07-2008, 19:37
I was wondering, does anyone actually know what Terra is supposed to be like in the 40K universe? Does it still have oceans, wild spaces and the like or has all the water long since evaporated and the oxygen boiled away, leaving everything under toxic smog and unable to breath unless in some sort of enclosed habdome?

I was looking through what i could find and it seams that the Emperor's Palace is in the Himalayas. Do you think people still go there to do mountaineering and skying, that sort of thing?

Do you still get green fields with animals like cows and sheep, or is everything barren dust and rock?

Is the Great Pyramid still there and stuff like that?

If the water is not all boiled away have the ice caps long since melted and sea levels risen swamping a lot of the land mass?

From my own point of view I kind of imagine it to be totally barren and covered almost entirely with metal / synthetic structures. (A bit like a Borg Sphere.) But i could be totally wrong, just wondered what other's imagined it to be like?

um any water thyat evaporated would return as rain... Earth/Terra is a closed system... the only way to remove all the oceans would be to put them on ships and fly them away from the planety

PondaNagura
28-07-2008, 19:48
well no, eisenhorn was on some other planet in the helican subsector, but i remember a comparison beings drawn.

i could believe the oceans being boiling, or irradiated in a sense that it's non-potable, but the atmosphere would have to still exist, just probably thinned oxygen/CO2 enriched from well over-population and lack of trees, and scrubbers can only do so much.

the Emperor was 'born' in Anatolia, which is modern-day Turkey. his throne is over Nottingham shire (GW non-so-inside joke), and the astronomicon/scientific (hah) facilities are located in the Himalayas

de Selby
28-07-2008, 19:54
Water vapour would return as rain, hydrogen and oxygen would recombine to form water and return as rain, if the oceans really were permanently 'boiled off' they must have been superheated such that the atoms achieved escape velocity (along with all the air, presumably) and were lost in space.

My back-of-an-envelope calculation suggests a characteristic temp of around 2 million centigrade.

Bitey
28-07-2008, 19:58
I believe he was born in Turkey.

So maybe St George-esque then? An adopted Angle;)

Shadow Marine
28-07-2008, 20:00
Isn't the throne centered on Nottingham!

Fire In The Hole
28-07-2008, 20:02
I would think there would still be snow but cows may have been genetically altered into giant creature to improve yields and efficiency, so in my opinion there would be no fresians or highlands and no mooing :cries:

I haven't seen the fluff of the status of terra, but from what you are saying I take it that green-peace kinda lost out to the power of the machine:chrome:

kishvier
28-07-2008, 20:05
The Emperor was born in Turkey, the Golden Throne covers all of Europe, so I wouldn't say it's centered anywhere because in the time that has passed tectonic activity would change the landscape of the planet in addition to the various orbital bombardments and giant hive cities that scale up to 8 miles into the sky.

Templar Ben
28-07-2008, 20:37
The oceans were boiled off. The writers said so. I know it doesn't make sense from a scientific point of view but what about 40K does?

Richter Kless
28-07-2008, 20:55
I thought that all water was in tanks, constantly distributed across the planet to supply the massive (and with that I mean absolutely massive) population of Terra with water.

chaos0xomega
28-07-2008, 21:21
Water vapour would return as rain, hydrogen and oxygen would recombine to form water and return as rain, if the oceans really were permanently 'boiled off' they must have been superheated such that the atoms achieved escape velocity (along with all the air, presumably) and were lost in space.

My back-of-an-envelope calculation suggests a characteristic temp of around 2 million centigrade.

What part of "lances have power outputs equal to that of the sun" do you not understand? It's either they were heated enough to achieve escape velocity (which wouldn't be hard to do) or were heated enough to rip the hydrogen and oxygen apart, cast off large parts of the atmosphere, and whatever was left was turned into other elements entirely.

It's also been mentioned once or twice in the fluff that it regularly rains acid (NOT acidic water, but pure acid) on Terra...

kishvier
28-07-2008, 22:25
I thought that all water was in tanks, constantly distributed across the planet to supply the massive (and with that I mean absolutely massive) population of Terra with water.

Yes, drinking water, but not the oceans. The oceans are salt water so they don't have nearly as much uses.

Ekranoplan
28-07-2008, 22:43
If lances have the power output of the sun, that would mean they would be 13 million centigrade, which is more then enough for the atoms to achieve escape velocity. Also, once the H20 is separated the hydrogen and oxygen could be burned off at that temperature.

Additionally, the entire ocean wouldn't need to be evaporated, just enough to drop the sea level so you could land on the continental shelf. This would decrease the size of the problem considerably and present a huge landing area.

BlackLegion
28-07-2008, 23:44
The Emperors Palace lie sin the Himalaya. "The Lightning Tower" describes several Spaceports, Gates and palace structures which have names of current day places in the Himalaya.
And yes the Astonomicon is there too (in Mount Everest to be specific).

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
28-07-2008, 23:52
Kishvier makes a valid point about the tectonic upheaval of a catastrophic bombardment altering the shape of continents.

The Imperial Palace, and, by reason, the Golden Throne, however, are defiantly located over what was once Europe.

BlackLegion
29-07-2008, 00:09
No the Palace is located the Himalayan Mountains.

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
29-07-2008, 00:14
Where is your evidence? I'm certain that there would have been far more disscussion had The Lightning Tower retconned established fluff in such a drastic manner. The Astronomicon, and no doubt a fair number of other important structures/locations reside in the Himalayas, but established fluff has long placed the Palace in Europe.

Dominus_Serui
29-07-2008, 01:03
The Palace is over Europe this much is pretty much shown (5th ed has little diagram of where things are on Earth)...the Throne Room is over the UK, and the Emperor himself sits smack bang ontop of Nottingham - its not written GW fluff, but a GW in-joke thats pretty much as good as any explanation...

As for the Astronomicon, thats placed in the Himalayas and the Inquisition has a major fortress in Antartica.

MrBigMr
29-07-2008, 02:30
Search Fire Warrior intro from YouTube and there you'll see Terra (along with Mars and the Moon in passing).

Dominus_Serui
29-07-2008, 02:59
The moon is notably the Death Star...though not in the Firewarrior opening...which was the best thing about the game because of Brian Blessed narrating.

RexTalon
29-07-2008, 04:03
Wow. Some people need to read more. I'm not talking about the people in this thread. I'm talking about the people writing the fluff. Obviously you wouldn't be able to use something with the power of the sun on the ocean. You would flash fry every unprotected form of life on the planet. The sun is incredibly hot. You would more than likely just punch a hole right through the planet as boil off the ocean.

Taken into scale the ocean isn't really all that deep. So, if you were to unleash something with the power of a medium star on it would be disastrous.

So when I say that someone needs to read I mean some people writing fluff need to research what they're talking about before talking about it. Not only that, but all this retconning is getting rather tiresome. The Imperial Palace has always been in Europe. I don't care what Lightning Tower says. I don't care that the newest fluff is the most Cannon. I don't care what it's name is, or who said what to whom. The big E sits on his throne in Nottingham and that's all there is to it.

Maybe his OLD throne was in the Mts. You know, back before he was THE Emperor. Now I do seem to remember that being the case. Before he dominated the planet he was somewhere down in there. Now that he's permanently on the potty, he's in merry ole England... or where merry ole England once was.

Hrw-Amen
29-07-2008, 05:53
Not to mention that if you did boil off the oceans or even a large portion of them, then that would released tons and tons of methane locked up in the seabed. That would likely cause a run away green house effect turning Terra into a clone of Venus.

dblaz3r
29-07-2008, 08:46
In one of the Ragnar books (Grey hunter, I think) he is on terra deep beneath the hives making his way to House Belisarius and it describes vast lakes he encounters. It's been awhile since I read the book though so someone with a better knowledge could probably clear this up.

Brother Valtarius
29-07-2008, 10:36
Terra was actually mostly destroyed in the techno-barbarian wars whilst the emperor was still coming to power, it mentions it in one of the earlier Horus Heresy books, Horus Rising i think, all the damage was done with atomics because it talks about the luna wolves finding a map of old terra on a planet and only the emperor could recognise it because it still had all the oceans etc.

The Astronomican is placed on Everest. The Emperor is sat in Nottingham (probaly a running joke with the creators of the game/fluff).

Faustburg
29-07-2008, 12:02
I really doubt the "Lances have the power of a sun" is to be taken as anything other than poetic description, merely meaning "pretty darn powerful"...

Why would Addaddon pour time and resources into building a special one-off Planet Killer vessel if the run of the mill lances were already that powerful?

MrBigMr
29-07-2008, 12:46
Aren't atomic weapons said to "contain the power of the sun", "burn with the brightness of a thousand suns" or something like that? Besides, doesn't fusion reactor reach heats of up to millions of degrees, the sun having a core temperature of 15 million. And so far the tests haven't flashfried our planet.

I would imagine that a massive weapon (aren't Imperial lances laser based?) such as a lance would generate massive firepower. they're designed to cut through spaceship armour, which things like macro cannons, plasma annihilators and torpedoes that can level entire cities can only damage in large salvos.

Dominus_Serui
29-07-2008, 13:04
Why would Addaddon pour time and resources into building a special one-off Planet Killer vessel if the run of the mill lances were already that powerful?

Because its more..effective...at destroying things? The Planet Killer has allot more applications then just world-destroying...and it does planet-cracking without the need for a full fleet...

Either way that you look at it, it is written that the remaining surface oceans on Earth were completely evaporated by traitor bombardments during the first siege of Terra...given that Terra in the current time period has a surface entirely covered by cities...there's no chance that there's going to be any left above ground - however I do distinctly remember mention of underground oceans.

Tapok
29-07-2008, 14:25

To be exact, it's at 5256.5 N, 110.5 W. Right on top of what is now Warhammer World. A little joke they put in ;)

de Selby
29-07-2008, 15:38
What part of "lances have power outputs equal to that of the sun" do you not understand? ..

:D Cool your jets, man, you seem to be under the impression that I was disagreeing with you about something. I just did a quick calculation to check temperatures.

I guess if we're ionising the seas for starters we actually only have to 'boil off' the hydrogen, which would be quick. So I may have over-estimated. The amounts of energy involved are still titanic, obviously.

Ekranoplan
29-07-2008, 16:13
Nuclear weapons only attain such temperatures for fractions of a second. There was a concern that the first nuclear test would ignite the oxygen in the atmosphere, but that obviously didn't happen. Had they done their math they might have realized that the O2 is to thinly spread out.

So lances clearly have an immense amount of power, and although I have no doubt they could boil away the oceans, it seems a little over the top for a military strategy to create more landing space. But the run away green house effect created would kill millions.

Additionally, a lance would probably create a huge pressure wave (like lightning). I have no idea how much of an area it could effect but it could probably do considerable damage.

I would assume that lance output could be lowered for supporting troops on the ground so you could take out a titan or other war engine without killing your own troops.

Tapok
29-07-2008, 16:58
Do none of you guys remember the story about the coven of chaos sorcerers who summoned up a daemonic broom? Guiliman tried to chop it apart with a power-axe but that just made more deamonic brooms. Then the brooms just kept loading up the water of Terra and throwing it into the warp. Eventually the Emperor came in and ended the spell, saving everyone from the terror of the vast broom-army. Of course by then he also had other problems, such as the traitor legions banging on his door.

RexTalon
29-07-2008, 18:18
I would assume that lance output could be lowered for supporting troops on the ground so you could take out a titan or other war engine without killing your own troops.

That's the only statement about lance weapons that actually makes sense.

Do none of you guys remember the story about the coven of chaos sorcerers who summoned up a daemonic broom? Guiliman tried to chop it apart with a power-axe but that just made more deamonic brooms. Then the brooms just kept loading up the water of Terra and throwing it into the warp. Eventually the Emperor came in and ended the spell, saving everyone from the terror of the vast broom-army. Of course by then he also had other problems, such as the traitor legions banging on his door.
Yea, but did Leman Russ have a collar and was the Emperors pet, or did he wear a hat and drive a car?

chaos0xomega
29-07-2008, 18:51
Wow. Some people need to read more. I'm not talking about the people in this thread. I'm talking about the people writing the Fluff. Obviously you wouldn't be able to use something with the power of the sun on the ocean. You would flash fry every unprotected form of life on the planet. The sun is incredibly hot. You would more than likely just punch a hole right through the planet as boil off the ocean.

Don't go mounting the high horse of science buddy, this is science fiction, and with it comes the suspension of disbelief.

Not to mention that if you did boil off the oceans or even a large portion of them, then that would released tons and tons of methane locked up in the seabed. That would likely cause a run away green house effect turning Terra into a clone of Venus.

Might explain why it "rains acid".

Because the effect of a lance is localized, and it's science fiction...

I guess if we're ionising the seas for starters we actually only have to 'boil off' the hydrogen, which would be quick. So I may have over-estimated. The amounts of energy involved are still titanic, obviously.

Noone is saying otherwise. One of the things I dislike about 40k, everything is so over-the-top, huge, and grandiose, to almost be a mockery of itself...

Sounds like Disney Fantasia to me...

de Selby
29-07-2008, 18:51
Nuclear weapons only attain such temperatures for fractions of a second. There was a concern that the first nuclear test would ignite the oxygen in the atmosphere, but that obviously didn't happen. Had they done their math they might have realized that the O2 is to thinly spread out.

Be fair, they did do their math. There's a whole report somewhere where they calculated scenarios and deemed that there wasn't any risk for known/plausible reaction chains.

Caiphas Cain
29-07-2008, 18:59
where in the world did you come up with the idea that the emperor was born in turky?

chaos0xomega
29-07-2008, 19:12
The fact that it has been mentioned several times in the background that he was born in Anatolia, which is in modern day Turkey.

MrBigMr
29-07-2008, 19:13
He was born in central Anatolia 8000BC, which today is where Turkey is.

Iuris
29-07-2008, 19:53
Which also explains the dark skin and curved nose, BTW.

As for Terra: while the seas could not have been just blown away as the water would eventually condense and rain down again, unless the energies were so great that the water would achieve escape velocity, but then, that would mean the loss of all atmosphere, too, so I'd rather say the bombardment simply made the seas unusable due to pollution, locking in compounds and similar, the lovely blue planet is now covered in buildings.

Any snow and cows would only be found in the private zoos of the wealthy. Which shouldn't be rare, mind you, since it's probably one of the greatest signs of prestige to have a palace on Terra...

And since we have this wonderful bit here:

What part of "lances have power outputs equal to that of the sun" do you not understand?
Well, which output is that? The total output over the lifetime? A microsecond of total surface energy radiated? A nanosecond? Just a beam as hot as the sun? As hot as which part of the sun? The core at milions of degrees or the surface at 6000 degrees?

Also, of they were as strong as the poster implied... why would anyone bother with viral bombs or cyclonic torpedoes or whatnot - just fire a freaking lance from the edge of the system - no air in between lets all the energy hit the target at any range, and that kind of firepower would be quite sufficient to blast the atmosphere of any inhabited planet away. But for some reason, the guys in the admiral's chairs never do that :)

Always take the fluff with a grain of salt and it starts making 90% more sense.

Dominus_Serui
29-07-2008, 20:15
Terra is Judge Dread Earth...you have to remember...so one pallace...lots of big spire-esque houses...and biiiiig wasteland parts...

Not to mention the power of a lance might be enough to part hydrogen from oxygen, you know...because it does nasty things when it hits super-reinforced metal after-all...seriously...what on Earth is wrong with this idea that all the seas on Terra have dried up?

What happens when we get to Tallarn which was apparently a verdant paradise world but was reduced to a desert by VIRAL bombs...not a lance strike in sight but virus bombing apparently makes it turn into a desert.

Emperor's Grace
29-07-2008, 20:18
Be fair, they did do their math. There's a whole report somewhere where they calculated scenarios and deemed that there wasn't any risk for known/plausible reaction chains.

Yep, and that same kind of math got redone when RHIC came online.

They had to be fairly sure that they weren't going to cause a black hole to form on the planet. :D

Science/math is like that - just because scenarios get looked at, doesn't mean that they're all that likely to happen. It's just better to think ahead...

Iuris
29-07-2008, 20:28
Terra is Judge Dread Earth...you have to remember...so one pallace...lots of big spire-esque houses...and biiiiig wasteland parts...

Add in the Black Atlantic, and you've got it.

Not to mention the power of a lance might be enough to part hydrogen from oxygen, you know...because it does nasty things when it hits super-reinforced metal after-all...seriously...what on Earth is wrong with this idea that all the seas on Terra have dried up?
So is a small electric charge. You'd get hydrogen and oxygen. As soon as the plasma cooled down, they'd combust back into water.

What happens when we get to Tallarn which was apparently a verdant paradise world but was reduced to a desert by VIRAL bombs...not a lance strike in sight but virus bombing apparently makes it turn into a desert.
Just keep the water on the planet, and it works fine. It can be contaminated, it can be locked up or whatever - and you still get a magnificent sandy desert.

PondaNagura
29-07-2008, 20:51
actually virus bombing is often followed by some form of lance fire that ignites atmosphere, hell on earth, yadda yadda. that or the virus breaks everything down into goo, which eventually feeds off itself, rendering everything in toxic mud, then dirt/sand...this is organic and inorganic matter. especially since the components of most of the atmosphere would be consumed in the process, thus thinned, and allow more direct sunlight...
plus verdant paradise could mean a large load of greens and smaller seas, or vast shallow waters, not necessarily vast oceans.

thorgrim
29-07-2008, 22:43
The Ragnar book that describes Terra is wolfblade. It gives a good description too. If i remember it right theres ammonia seas and the navigators enclaves are where australia is (on a large island seperated from the rest of humanity by the largest oceans i think it was).

Alessander
29-07-2008, 22:55
The Horus Heresy board game, shown during the time of the invasion, shows the landscape as a blasted wasteland.

http://www.silvercompassdesigns.com/personal/terra-heresy.jpg

There is a loophole that the Inquisitorial headquarters is under the ice of the poles. However, nothing says that something may be built *over* the ice sheets...

chaos0xomega
30-07-2008, 00:39
I thought inquisitorial headquarters was on Titan?

Wolfblade670
30-07-2008, 00:59
That would be the Fortress Monastery of the Grey Knights, the mailed fist of the Ordo Malleaus.

druchii lord narakh
30-07-2008, 06:36
heres tera summedup
North America= giant green furrball that produces all of terra oxygen now, has people living in the furr.
Europe= big space port and has part of the emporers Fortress on it.
Asia= part desert, emporers palace is over half of asia and over all of the middle east and covers a bit of the medateranian sea.
Africa= city land and mines.
Australia is now probly ether a big city or a base for military operations.
on a side note. Terra has no imperial guard on it. the only military oder is the inquisition(very small though) and the legio custodes( there still a legion they dont have to lisen to anyone but the emporer, not even the high lords of terra.)
and yes theres still water and the inquisitions most high security prison is in antartica.(also the emporer is storing some traits there and some of his eldar rivals.
Also in the throne room theres a working webway gate but because of Primarch idiot mangus the red he destroyed the webway al almost let daemons in. this is why psycers are sacrificed is to keep the gate shut. the emporer battles the chaos gods every day and that is one reason why he is still on the throne. also the throne has yet to fullfill its try purpose of restoring the emporer because its been malfunchioning

ADF
30-07-2008, 12:21
Well, there is no Imperial Guard present, but there are the Terran Household Guards, "Private" armies of the most noble families on Terra. As many of these families have formal ties with the Guard or Navy, their armies are equipped to the same standards or even better then IG, and do often take part in military expeditions.
The Navigator families do also keep up extremely large private armies.

Ekranoplan
30-07-2008, 15:17
Wow. Some people need to read more. I'm not talking about the people in this thread. I'm talking about the people writing the fluff. Obviously you wouldn't be able to use something with the power of the sun on the ocean. You would flash fry every unprotected form of life on the planet. The sun is incredibly hot. You would more than likely just punch a hole right through the planet as boil off the ocean.

Of everything in 40k, I find things like lances burning up atmospheres to be somewhat reasonable. Planets are small, and it is in the realm of possibility to develop sources of energy that equal or exceed the energies produced by a planet (so you can evaporate oceans and burn the atmosphere). As far as flash frying is concerned, I don't know about that. We would need the exact specs of a lance, the duration of fire, the power output, altitude from which they are fired from, and much more data. We can just assume that Horus got it all right, thus getting the effect he wanted.

Punching a hole threw the planet wouldn't be to bad either. Gravity would keep it all together. To completely explode a planet you would need enough energy to accelerate every particle at escape velocity almost simultaneously.

chaos0xomega
30-07-2008, 18:17
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but in 5th there is a "map" of Terra, I.E. a picture of terra with lines indicating locations of a few key points. It is impossible for the palace to be in Europe/England, and for the astronomicon to be in the Himalayas according to that. Either that, or I have very bad geography skills... which I most definitely don't.

Dominus_Serui
30-07-2008, 21:59
Exactly how is it impossible? I meen can you honestly tell from the distances on that map that the Imperial palace is iun Europe? I meen...I would say the width between them is enough to cover the distance between the north-west of Europe and the Himalayan mountains.

I meen given if the picture of Earth is a big swirly brown blob you cannot POSSIBLY tell which approach/view it is from, for all we know the 'Halls of Judgement, could be on the North Pole and that is why they're in the center of the map...geography doesn't even come into it if you can't even make out the continents.

chaos0xomega
31-07-2008, 01:28
I can't tell by distance, but I can tell by direction. Unless you want to say the Himalayas, which lie in Asia, are to the South of England (in Africa).

Also, you can make out the continents. If you look closely, you can see the rough outline of spain and most of the Atlantic/North Sea coastline of Europe (just under the palace).

ironcurtin117
31-07-2008, 02:38
One of the Space Wolf books is set almost exclusively on Terra, it is limited to the Navigators' Quarter but it does feature an extended sequence where Ragnar and friends are forced to caper about in the Undercities. Terra is almost completely artificial but there are some man-made natural features, like a man-made sea with really nice islands for retired servants of VIP status where Alaska used to be (Forgot source)

Dominus_Serui
31-07-2008, 11:44
Also, you can make out the continents. If you look closely, you can see the rough outline of spain and most of the Atlantic/North Sea coastline of Europe (just under the palace).

The hall of the astronomicon is north of the palace in the image

chaos0xomega
31-07-2008, 18:29
Uh, no it isn't, unless you're looking at the map upside down. The "Imperial Palace Primus" is clearly depicted as being in (what appears to be) the Northern Hemisphere, while the "Hall of the Astronomicon" is depicted as being in the Southern Hemisphere.

And they say Americans are bad at geography...

And regardless, even if you were correct, my theory would still hold true. If the Palace is in England, and the Astronomicon is NORTH of England, than the Astronomicon is NOT in the Himalayas.

Griffty
31-07-2008, 19:33
Could we have some sources to go with all the geographical assertions?

For someone like me who is not a fountain of fluff it's useful to know where to look.
And I am of course aware of the cannon/whats cannon? attitude to background in GW IP.

Dominus_Serui
31-07-2008, 19:53
I ammend myself, your right the astronomicon is south of Imperial Palace Primus - however, there is still no evidence to support your claim that the view we have of the planet is not from a top-down view given that you can CLEARLY see that the entire thing is one pattern covered with swirly pollution clouds - I'd scan and post but thats against the rules.

Either way you look at it your clearly trumped by canonical fact...the Astronomicon has ALLWAYS been in Nepal so clearly the view used for the picture is as such that the random lines placed by a tired artist are the correct locations of the two structures from that angle.

Edit: After consulting sources, I've actually noticed that the location of the Astronomicon has allways been 'within a mountain range' so I don't know were the Nepal thing has come from.

Edit Edit: Not necissarily Nepal but its supposed to be within the Himalayas.

PondaNagura
31-07-2008, 20:03
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Forbidden_Fortress
hmm, well according to lexicanum it's in the Himalayas, i don't have wd140 or the =I= trilogy, but i do have codex imperialis, and honestly can't find a thing.

chaos0xomega
01-08-2008, 04:31
GW is notorious for rewriting or ignoring its own background material....
ANYWAY, any way you turn the image it is still impossible to have the two in the 'established' locations.