PDA

View Full Version : quick question on the size of primarchs

Gobbo Trouble
30-07-2008, 10:39
just had a look through 'the horus heresy: collected visions' and they have a few pictures of primarchs next to normal space marines, and they're massive. Ones to note would be magnus and martarion (after the destroyer plague) who tower above space marines. But then there are pictures of the emperor next to his custodians and he doesnt tower above them like i thought he would as i would imagine he's the same size if not bigger than his primarchs.

who exactly was the biggest primarch, cause magnus looks huge.

TheBigBadWolf
30-07-2008, 10:48
I get the feeling that Angron is pretty big from his description at the seige of terra and during the first Armaggedon war.

TheOverlord
30-07-2008, 10:51
Magnus. He's called the Red Giant for a reason. He's supposed to be larger than all his brethren by quite a margin.

Actually the Emperor DOES tower over his Custodes. It's just that the custodes have that stupidly tall helmets.

Deus Mechanicus
30-07-2008, 12:15
The Emperor is just a human though.

Idaan
30-07-2008, 13:05
Every Primarch is described taller than most others (well except Alpharius). Just look it up in their respective HH books. Just as every Legion is described as outperforming all others during the Crusade both in HH books and their Index Astartes entries. And yet people argue that they are an objective fluff source.
Regardless, I think that from a neutral point of view Magnus should be the biggest.

And I fail to see any point in the Emperor being 10 feet tall.

MvS
30-07-2008, 13:11
Yes.

This has been discussed before I think. Clearly the Emperor could make himself appear taller and burlier, and maybe even make himself bigger by means of some sort of super-sorcerous mojo, but I don't imagine he won over so many people to his views because he stomped around as a 10 foot tall human-monster with a halo.

arch_inquisitor
30-07-2008, 15:27
biokinesis the ability to change ones or others physical shape, he was a psyker beyond compare so any size is good. I really don't think the emp would have been shy about using his powers so he could have been seen many different ways always him but sometimes glowing or larger than usual or other such minor changes.

Edit; forgot to put this in
and as for the primarchs I didn't really get the impression that they were that much larger than normal men, don't get me wrong they are huge but not like extreme mutant large except Magnus I mean those are terminators he's towering

Wazzahamma
30-07-2008, 15:45
Alpharius has always been described as being of equal stature to Horus and Guilliman and standing at at least a foot taller than the average astartes.

I will put a stop to the ridiculous "Alpharius is a short primarch" internet fan rumour, one post at a time.;)

Jackal_Strain
30-07-2008, 15:51
Read legion. Alpharius is clearly larger than the astartes that makes up most of his legion.

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
30-07-2008, 15:57
Six foot six, stood on the ground, weighs two hundred and thirty five pounds. But - I saw that giant of a man brought down to his knees by love.

Pffft. They're clearly 6-foot twenty, ********* killing for fun.

My song reference pwns yours.

Gobbo Trouble
30-07-2008, 15:57
the picture of the emperor and one of his custodians is one where the custodian doesnt have his helmet on. I was assume the emperor is, or would make himself as tall as his primarchs so that they dont look down on him, as it could be seen to belittle his stature.

ryng_sting
30-07-2008, 17:54
Angron was the shortest of the Primarchs while still mortal.

Explains a lot, really.

ironcurtin117
31-07-2008, 02:35
It says in Horus Rising that when the warmaster knelt, he was equal in height to the average marine. I don't know, maybe Loken was a short marine, probably not, but there is also a lot of discrepancies in the series. I'd assume that they were pretty large individuals.

Wazzahamma
31-07-2008, 05:13
the only time height has been noted in regards to primarchs was in the case of Magnus and Ferrus, both described as tall even for primarchs. never has one been described in the opposite manner.

they have been talked about in terms of body types though. ferrus and horus are both broad, though not so much as angron. fulgrim is more a slender build, while mortarion is wiry.

and loken was sitting down when horus knelt in front of him...not standing!

Ddraiglais
31-07-2008, 05:30
One of the Luna Wolves wets himself when Angron jumps out if his thunderhawk after the firestorm in Galaxy in Flames. It's too late to look it up right now. If I remember to look for it, I'll try to post specifics tomorrow.

darth mortis
31-07-2008, 06:01
in decent of angels wasnt lion el johnson described as been 3 meters tall??? might be getting that mixed up with something else as im going off memory? which would be the same size of an ork war boss approx wouldnt it?

Phoenix Blaze
31-07-2008, 11:12
I recall a good system for the size of a primarch is, they are to astartes as astartes are to humans, if you know what I mean.

Also, besides Magnus (as his size is from a mutation), I think Russ is the biggest of the Primarch's. Tallest and oveall bulkiest I think. Also, why has no one mentioned him yet?

As for the Emperor not towering over Custodes, there isn't much artwork depicting Custodes alongside Astartes, so Custodes could be pretty massive themselves.

As for Alpharius, after reading Legion, I've always imagined that he was taller than an Astartes, but just a little bit smaller than your average Primarch seeing as his one soul is spread over two bodies.

The Anarchist
31-07-2008, 14:36
from Loken's point of view he is said to come up to Horus's cheast plate when each stands at normal hight, and in armour. as for the other Primarchs from idnex astartes, concerning Magnus the Red; "he stood as a giant even amongst his brothers" so seems fair to say he was the largest or at the least tallest of Primarchs.
strangly i seem to remember Russ as being the smallest of the Primarchs, but still being as a Space Marine to a man compared to normal space marines. Alpharius is described of equal stature to Horus when the two meet for the first time. it should be remembered though that Horus was in armour, so depending on how you read this literaly or not. Alpharius may have in fact been bigger than Horus, or if we take stature more to mean as equall in presence, of at least a similar hight to Horus.

in the flight of the esienstien we get a description of a adeptus custodes wearing Terminator armour much as an ordinary space marine would wear normal armour. also if standing bearfoot the Custodes being of equall stature to Icaton Qurze in full armour.