PDA

View Full Version : Ultramarine Fluff

KrisPicman
30-07-2008, 15:07
Could anyone explain the history of the realm of Ultramar, It's Leaders, It's wars, It's soliders.
I dont know much about this chapter of space marines.
I'm going to be starting an army of them really soon and I would like to know as much as possible about them (fluff-wise) before I go and start yet another army.

ironcurtin117
31-07-2008, 02:33
Ultramar, Home Region of the Ultramarines Chapter. Major planets include Tarsis Ultra, Calth, Macragge. When Roboute Gulliman was found on Macragge by (Insert king's name here), he quickly absorbed all he needed to be a fair and just ruler and set out to turn the planet to his image of a perfect society.

Jump a head a few decades.

After a large revolt that saw his capital sacked and adopted father killed, Big Papa Smurf went on a rampage, utterly destroying any opposition, it was shortly after this that the Emperor arrived and gave him command of the Ultramarine legion.

The Ultramarines grew into a disciplined and loyal force of the imperium, numbering over 300,000 Marines at the time of the Heresy. They are known for their dogmatic adherence to the Codex, Roboute's masterpiece on force organization and battlefield doctrine.

The Imperial Guard and PDF regiments of this region are also well disciplined and are sent out to participate in conflicts across the imperium.

Recommendations for more info: Graham McNeill's Ultramarines series, Codex: Ultramarines, wikipedia

Hope this helps

GodofWarTx
31-07-2008, 07:20
Not to be crass, but you can throw a rock and find information about the ultramarines. now, say, the Sons of Medusa on the other hand...

Ultramar is one of the most stable, shining examples of a "functional, working" imperium the galaxy has to offer. as the new rulebook describes more and more territories are being brought under the rule of marine chapters.

pookie
31-07-2008, 09:35
2nd edition Codex will be your friend, try and track one down on Ebay maybe, theres a lot of info in that ( iirc - was a BA man at that time, so didnt get that dex, just the Angels of Death one)

SilverScorpion
31-07-2008, 09:50
Ultramar, Home Region of the Ultramarines Chapter. Major planets include Tarsis Ultra, Calth, Macragge. When Roboute Gulliman was found on Macragge by (Insert king's name here), he quickly absorbed all he needed to be a fair and just ruler and set out to turn the planet to his image of a perfect society.

Jump a head a few decades.

After a large revolt that saw his capital sacked and adopted father killed, Big Papa Smurf went on a rampage, utterly destroying any opposition, it was shortly after this that the Emperor arrived and gave him command of the Ultramarine legion.

The Ultramarines grew into a disciplined and loyal force of the imperium, numbering over 300,000 Marines at the time of the Heresy. They are known for their dogmatic adherence to the Codex, Roboute's masterpiece on force organization and battlefield doctrine.

The Imperial Guard and PDF regiments of this region are also well disciplined and are sent out to participate in conflicts across the imperium.

Recommendations for more info: Graham McNeill's Ultramarines series, Codex: Ultramarines, wikipedia

Hope this helps

The kings name was Konor i believe one of two co-consuls that ruled Macragge the other was called Gallen i think, he eventually betrayed and murdered Konor

Taris Ultra isnt actually in ultramar but is a planet they liberated in the great crusade that still holds them in very high regard.

Of the top of my head other planets in Ultramar include Masali,Talasar,Prandium (destroyed by nids) and Espandor.Theres at least two others whose names escape me right now

The Anarchist
31-07-2008, 12:45
look at their index astartes article for the best rundown on the smurfs, or if you dont have it look fro RedElf on the internet and it should ahve it.

hope this helps.

ironcurtin117
31-07-2008, 14:46
[QUOTE=SilverScorpion;2825294]
Taris Ultra isnt actually in ultramar but is a planet they liberated in the great crusade that still holds them in very high regard.

Ah, thanks, I was just flipping through Warriors of Ultramar and they had this whole thing on how Roboute had a pretty big part in the set-up of that particular planet. If you're really lazy check out the Index astartes series, for all your space marine needs

EDIT: They also HATE 'nids and have a been retconned to have a strong Greco-roman influence (read: crested helms, laurel wreaths, etc)

Griffty
31-07-2008, 15:12
In terms of who they fight most as ironcutin points out they've a serious vendetta against the nids, the ork empire of chardon is close to macragge and tigurius has a personal beef with the warlord there, the Arch Arsonist. Tigurius is also key as it appears that he may have an ability to tap into/observe the process of the Hive Mind, making him just abit useful to the imperium....
The Ultras were also involved in the aborted Damocles crusade vs the tau but there isnt much of a grudge there per se just the usual abhor the zenos rant.

The other planets of ultramar are so prosperous that despite not being required to do so they provide regiments to the IG as well as combining other forces to form the Ultramar defense force which is a system-wide force. Because of the variety of the planets there are several different human forces available, e.g light infantry, recon elements from Espandor, armored/tank companies from Quintarn and artillery companies from Masali. Talassar provides sea-born units (but there are no relevant rules for such) as well as regular fighting regiments as does Tarentus.

MarinesInSpace
01-08-2008, 01:48
On the same topic, I have recently chosen ultramarines as my chapter (after 6 years of jumping from chapter to chapter) and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to pronounce Roboute Guilliman. : /

ironcurtin117
01-08-2008, 04:11
Uh, I always thought it was (phonetics here, I apologize) Row-butte Gully-man.

Tsavong Lah
01-08-2008, 05:45
I believe it's: Row-Bow Gwee-li-man. Or something along those lines.

GodofWarTx
01-08-2008, 08:41
i always went with: rob-boot gool-li-man

Kenzaburo
01-08-2008, 21:32
Well, judging from my french classes back in school (4 years of french), I figured you would pronounce it row-boot gillyman, well, sort of. Although the last part, the man part I mean, should sound more like a mah or something.

Funny thing, in Germany his last name is different. It is Guillaume, which is at least an actual french name. :)

Hrw-Amen
02-08-2008, 13:48
WD issue 97 Jan 1988 pretty much lists the initial history as it was written in the RT era in the section 'Index Astartes' starting on Page 39.

To sum it up, it states that the Chapter Ultramarines was founded during the inter-legionary wars of the thirty second millennium (Date given is 4001001.M32) and that they were a thrid founding chapter. (Not sure how that fits in with current fluff?) I assume that the inter legionary war is the HH? Although placing it in the M32 is new to me, I had not noticed that before. Maybe it took that long afterwards for things to settle down and the legios to be reorganised etc?

It also says that the Emperor gave them the chapter number 13 which formerly was given to one of the 'treacher (traitor?) legions' now banished to the Eye of Terror and that they also received the gene seed from that legion. Originally envisaged as a mobile fleet based force but now with the home world of Macragge. This does make me wonder who the original 13th legion was if it was not the Ultramarines?

The original legion was founded by Roboute Gulliman. (On a side note about how to pronounce his name, has anyone else heard how it is pronounced in the current audio book? Sort of like Row-boot-eee.)

The legion distingushed itself in the first Tyranic War in the 34th milennium as well as the last one in the year 745 of the current 41st milennium.

The fluff then goies on to describe the planet Macragge in some detail.

It also gives quite a good break down of the various masters of the chapter and a few other figures of importance in the legion. Not all of these are currently still included it seams in the current codex but it is still interesting.

For example:

Imperial Commander Marneus Calgar. The third Lord Macragge. It states he was amongst the human prisoners rescued from Hive Fleet Locust in the year 947. Interestingly of the current milennium as it then states he is currently 44 years old. (I suspect that has been rewritten now.) It also states that he no longer takes to the field of battle following injuries and rarely wears his power armour, but takes the precaution of carrying a conversion field. Some interesting details of the power gloves/fists he has states that in the right one there are 4 x Jokaero digital lasers and a knife and that in the left one is a web gun (Whatever that is?) and a communicator. He also apparently has bionic lungs, legs and right eye.

Lieutenant Commeander Cha Lee. This chap who I have not found in any subsequent codex apparently is the next in line of command and heads the Ultramarines in the filed since Marneus suffered his injuries. He was taken from the planet Ulmar as a child when the Ultramarines were pursuing Hive Fleet Locust. He rose to his current position following the death of his predeccesor Lieutenant Commander Muk Mukyoun who was killed in a flying accident. Cha Lee is apparently rather bad tempered and ordered the ritual decimation and disbanding of honours of the 5th company following an unsuccesful action.

Chief Librarian Astropath Illiyan Nastase. Born on Badab to human mother. Interestingly his father is stated as being an unknown Eldar mercenary! Apparently he went to Earth in the year 924 where to cut a long story short he untertook the soul binding ritual, rose through the ranks to become Master of the Adeptus Astra Telepathica. Went onto to serve in the fleet, then a while with the Dark Angels before being appointed as chief librarian to the Ultramarines. (Interestingly from the line drawing of him he does look like an Eldar in SM power armour.

Master of the Apothacarion Hulm Singa. From Crows World.

Master of the Ships Christo Columbine. Comes from a lesser navigator family, sold into slavery and bought by the Ultramarines. Apparently was too old to undergo the surgeries etc required to become a marine. Is the first recorded individual in the chapters history who has not been an actual marine to hold the post. Described as spindly with large webbed hands and feet. (Something to do with being a navigator one assumes?)

Master of the forge Samuel Dexter. Born to one of the chapters female slaves. States it was him who created many of Marneus Clagar bionic limbs implants etc. Also states he is quite keen on robot technology which causes friction with others in the chapter.

Master of Ordnance Captain Keorn Asata. Recruited from some hive world.

Master of the household Fimor Dour. Responsible for the day to day running of the fortress monastteries and acts as private secretary to the commander.

Master of Sanctity Tow Takka-Chow. Basically looks after the chapters chapels and stuff like that.

Reclusiarch Leo Caberra. A priest of the Imperial Cult who is attached to the chapter. Not a marine himself.

Keorn Asata Captain of the 2nd Company.

The article states that the 1st company does not have a captain but that the others do, however other than the 2nd company it does nto name them. It does go onto to name the lieutenant of each company and aslo states that each company has a chaplin attached to it. There are also numerous lists of equipment vehicles and all sorts of other stuff that is sort of interesting if you want to know about how the chapter was set up in the RT days.

It also gives the daily programme of a marine:

0500 Reveille
0510 Morning prayer followed by martial exercise
0600 Morning toilet (Yes it really does ay that in WD.)
0630 Sergeant's Inspection.
0700 Prayers of Supplication followed by breakfast.
0740 Squad training.
1400 Vows of the order followed by a light meal.
1445 Meditation followed by absolution.
1620 Prayers of Exactitute followed by range firing.
1820 Litany of purity followed by equipment cleaning.
1900 Chaplin's sermon in comapny chapel.
1945 Biochem and implant monitoring.
2000 Chaplin's cult recital followed by High Tea.
2200 Free time.
2210 Captain's Inspection.
2230 Evening exercise.
2250 Retire to cell for personal prayer.
2300 Lights out.

As stated there is a load of other stuff in the aritcle and I know a lot has been written since that contradicts some of it but it is still interesting to read if you are wanting to know about the chapter.

I have also the 2nd edition chapter but other's have posted from that and I have nothing to really add to it.

Gorbad Ironclaw
02-08-2008, 14:01
(Not sure how that fits in with current fluff?)

It doesn't really. But the whole creation mythos and founding of the Legions have been changed quite a lot from the RT version so that isn't so surprising.

Eulenspiegel
02-08-2008, 19:35
I think their Primarch is pronounced Roo-boot (french like, despite their background).

If you want information about the Ultras, definitely read Battle for the Abyss [Ben Counter] the latest Horus Heresy book by Black Library. It doesn´t so much show background, but the mindset of the Ultramarines. Cestus and the other starring smurfs are perfect examples of their legion. Not boring at all (as GW sometimes depicts Ultramarines).