PDA

View Full Version : Founding chapter parents

Latro_
31-07-2008, 14:00
This has often made me think, when a new chapter is created it's based on the geneseed stored on mars from various chapters. They make sure to create a chapter from the same seed. Fine.

However most successor chapters you see are from the first founding. Would it not happen that seed was taken from a successor. So for example a chapter was built from stocked Eagle Warriors seed which was of course originally founded from Ultramarines.

Leftenant Gashrog
31-07-2008, 14:09
They make sure to create a chapter from the same seed. Fine.
Actually I'm not aware of there being a canon statement to that effect, whilst the their IA article noted that the Relictors are believed to have been created from Ultramarines and Dark Angels geneseed ~ then proceeds to note that this was unusual because of the use of DA geneseed, but made no mention of it being unusual to mix geneseed..

Would it not happen that seed was taken from a successor. So for example a chapter was built from stocked Eagle Warriors seed which was of course originally founded from Ultramarines.

Yes, Index Astartes volume I mentions that the majority of chapters are descended from the Ultramarines both directly and through the Primogenitor chapters (as the UM's 2nd founding successors are known).