PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elves Blade Wind

Dark_Mage99
01-08-2008, 11:30
Got the book today, and had a quick flick through. A question came up in a magical duel between Kairos and Malekith:

Bladewind says that you make "close combat attacks" against the target, but also that "One of these attacks can be allocated against each character" in a unit.

Clearly this is speaking from the perspective of actually casting on a unit with characters in - but considering a character on their own is a unit as well - as is a character on a dragon, how does it work?

If Malekith casts it on Kairos, can he hit him with 3D6 attacks - or just 1? If Kairos casts it on Malekith, is it any different? Further, do you allocate the hits like you might from a magic missile - or since they are close combat attacks, do you elect who to hit? If you do indeed elect who to hit with it, and all 3D6 can hit the character, that's pretty deadly against the usual protection a mount like a dragon offers.

Any thoughts?

Gazak Blacktoof
01-08-2008, 11:41
Its clear that the usual rules for it are written with regards to characters in a unit surrounded by other troops. I'd say that against a lone character you can direct all attacks against him, there's no need to "allocate" attacks as he's the only potential recipient of any attacks.

As for characters on monstrous mounts/ chariots you still a need to allocate attacks in order to target the character so I'd say you can make still only make one attack per character whilst the rest have to be targeted against the mount.

That's my take on it but its less than clear so it probably needs an FAQ.

theunwantedbeing
01-08-2008, 11:44
A character on their own is a unit.
They are not inside the unit, they ARE the unit.

Hits are allocated as if they are attacking in combat.
With the exception that upto 1 attack can be allocated on each character within a unit.

Being on a dragon doesn't offer any protection.
You'll still need to roll to hit and wound and get past any saves the rider may have.

Gazak Blacktoof
01-08-2008, 12:06
Being on a dragon doesn't offer any protection.

The only issue with this is that you have to make a choice in normal combat to attack the rider or the dragon (though the default is the rider if no declaration is made) this is similar to choosing whether you want to attack the character or the Rank and File around them.

Players probably just need to come to an agreement with characters on mounts.

BloodiedSword
01-08-2008, 14:01
Gazak, surely the part about attacks against a character on dragon defaulting to the rider is the key part?

I would say that casting Blade Wind on a Lord on Dragon and making no declaration about allocating attacks means that all attacks go on the Lord (in the same way as normal close combat attacks with no declaration). Conversely, if any declaration in made then at most 1 attack may be allocated on the Lord, and the rest must be allocated on the Dragon.

This seems most consistent with the wording and normal CC attack allocation. The allocation bit of the Blade Wind rule should not apply if no allocation is made.

DarkTerror
01-08-2008, 18:13
Actually, I'd say if he's on a Dragon he is not the unit and therefore within the composition of the unit. So he'd take 1 hit and the rest on the mount.

Gazak Blacktoof
01-08-2008, 22:18
Perhaps that is the case Bloodied Sword I don't really know to be honest. I'm certain that if they're alone they get hit with the full complement of attacks, the other bit needs an FAQ or discussion with opponent.

I'd be happy to play with it either way.

Scallat
02-08-2008, 09:42
What about against war machines?

Gazak Blacktoof
02-08-2008, 13:27
Crew don't count as champions (normally) so you can assign any number of attacks against them. Those crew that do count as champions if you wipe out the crew they'll be eliminated anyway but you can assign one attack to them if you want.

Scallat
03-08-2008, 01:14
So, basically if you successfully cast bladewind on a warmachine it is dead? I mean okay you might roll only 3 attacks but the vast majority of the time bladewind just kills the whole crew with ease, right?

Gazak Blacktoof
03-08-2008, 09:38
Yes, its very, very good at killing warmachine crews. The only ones that might reasonably be expect to survive are dwarf crews with an engineer.

EldarBishop
03-08-2008, 10:06
Haven't got my DE Book yet. But going by what has been said here it was definitely written with the IC in a unit in mind.

Will need some clarification on that given characters on large monsters, or even chariots. However, as stated the default in CC is against the character if not declared. A character on a mount/chariot is still technically a unit consisting of one model; it might be a complex model, but it's still only a one model unit.