PDA

View Full Version : Salamander markings?

Dribble Joy
01-08-2008, 19:35
I've been trawling the internets for info and pics of salamander markings, but have come across several types.

Currently I am going with a black helmet for veterans and black knee-pad or greave for sargeants, but I'm not sure about this.

Also, stuff about tactical symbols would be useful.

Hope this is the right section.

talos935
01-08-2008, 21:27
Right then Companies 1-4 have black shoulder pads with green trim. Salamanders normally have the chapter symbol on the left shoulder and a fire marking on the right shoulder pad except for the 1st who have the crux on the left and the chapter on the right.
The 1st-4th companies have black shoulder pads with green trim and 'normal' fire markings on the right shoulder pads, excluding the 1st. The 5th & 6th have yellow pads with green trim and black flame markings on the right shoulder pad. 1st & 2nd have white chapter symbols. 3rd has green symbols and the th have orange symbols. The 5th have black symbols and the 6th have green symbols. The 7th have white shoulder pads with black markings, the chapter symbol on the left shoulder and the squad number on the right.

Now I assume some squads might swap the flame symbol for tactical markings in either the company's colours or white/black. Salamanders also have honour markings which are flame marking on the armour, this may be just a small flame on the forehead of a helmet or it may even be a full arm/leg painted in flame. The flame honours are also use on tanks. The hammer and anvil are sometime used as honour/personal markings. Salamanders have jet black [and I mean liturally chaos black not dark flesh] skin and red eyes [see 5th Ed rule book for pic].

Right then I [i]think that's everything......

garsty3000
02-08-2008, 22:00
Ive gone with painting the veterans helmets black as well seems alot better then the white and debating about doing my termies like that as well hope that my help :)

talos935
02-08-2008, 22:10
Erm....Salamander vets have green helmets officially, but alot of people seem to like them with black helmets [myself included].

garsty3000
02-08-2008, 22:17
Black helmets all the way :)

Lars Porsenna
02-08-2008, 22:43
For my Sallies I have the chapter symbol on the left, and the tac sign on the right. IA suggests the tac symbols should be yellow, but I did mine in white. I also added a small arabic numeral to the frontside of the tac sign shoulderpad (designating company) and a small roman numeral to the backside (designating squad). The latter is mostly for my reference. I figure a chapter/legion that has been around for 10,000 plus would have quite a bit of variety in markings...

Damon.

Phyros
03-08-2008, 02:02
I took a different route in denoting veteran status. Instead of black I went with a fiery red/orange/yellow for the reasons that it makes the invidual models stand out on the battlefield and the obvious flame connotation.

In other efforts to spruce up the boys, I picked up Alpha Legion shoulder pads and any flame-motif shoulder pads from the Legion of the Damned.

Hellebore
04-08-2008, 00:32
The latest IA pic of a salamander had a Tactical arrow on the shoulder.

I think what I did was to paint the squad symbol the colour of the company (so my units have green arrows on their shoulders).

I painted my vet sergeants with Gold helmets.

Hellebore

holanes
04-08-2008, 00:58
What is the story on the black skin by the way? I have been playing for quite some time and this is a new one on me. I did look in the 5th Ed book and found the picture (pg 233). I am still trying to decide whether I want to repaint all my heads.

talos935
04-08-2008, 22:08
The black skin thing is quite new, within the last 12 months I assume. The first I knew of it was Nick Kyme talking about his up and coming book about the Salamanders and the jet black skin and red eyes thing popped up. Apparently it's a gene seed defect opposed to because of the people of Nocturne.

holanes
05-08-2008, 02:12
I saw that on Wiki after I posted my last comment. Anyone know what the name of that book is?

talos935
06-08-2008, 21:58
Don't think it's released yet, I remember Xizor having a thread up about it. Try looking for that thread or googling for Nick Kyme's blog

Billpete002
08-08-2008, 08:24
what about flags? I am also painting up a salamander army and I can't find anything other than the Salamander chapter seal...

heinrichvoncarstein
08-08-2008, 17:51
design your own...
ALSO vets don't have black helmets. Instead, veterans have a hammer symbol on their left kneepad.

talos935
08-08-2008, 23:39
design your own...
ALSO vets don't have black helmets. Instead, veterans have a hammer symbol on their left kneepad.
Salamanders have no official veteran markings like the red helmet and white stripe of the codex marines.

Salamander banners tend to be quite plain, suposidly painted in infrared. If not you could come up with some battle scene to paint onto it :eek:
The 'classic' [aka studio banner] is a flamey banner with a black Salamander symbol on it. Not very complex.........

salamandercaptain
08-10-2008, 17:38
Just as an query is anyone else raging about the Sallies apothacary on p111 of the new codex being in TOTALLY the wrong paint scheme.

cheers

SC

PS.
Black helmets for sargents since 2nd ed- it's the best way.

Xisor
08-10-2008, 18:17
What's wrong with it?

The Salamanders core ethos is that of personal reliance; stoicism, if you will. It makes little sense for them to apply serious Chapter-wide uniformity other than their paint basic paint schemes and identifiers. Everything else, honour markings and such, surely ought to be quite...individual.

Strictly, the bulk of the Salamanders are outlined as talos935 expounds. Other markings: whatever looks good! Having too much uniformity isn't good, IMO, for the Salamanders but there'll be distinct themes (flames) running through the bulk.

So, with regards to the 'black helmet' veterans, that might be them having earned respect in the eyes of one of the chapter's ancients (i.e. one of the dreadnoughts). A flame adorned helm might note them as having achieved the killing-blow of a Rok on Armageddon. There's plenty of variation, but an 'official' set of markings? I'd say there's very little of it there.

heinrichvoncarstein
08-10-2008, 20:45
Salamanders have no official veteran markings like the red helmet and white stripe of the codex marines.

Salamander banners tend to be quite plain, suposidly painted in infrared. If not you could come up with some battle scene to paint onto it :eek:
The 'classic' [aka studio banner] is a flamey banner with a black Salamander symbol on it. Not very complex.........

That's the reeeeaaal old fluff(infrared stuff)..... The new fluff says nothing about the infrared banners and I'm pretty sure the 2nd company banner in the sm codex is not in infrared.... Also, I'm pretty sure the vets have hammer symbols on their knee pads... including vet sergeants. Also sergeants have reversed shoulder pads, i.e: If you've got a 2nd comp vet. sergeant(black with green rims) then he would have green shoulder pads with black rims and his left knee pad with a hammer symbol

salamandercaptain
09-10-2008, 11:38
from I think WD 119 and repeated in the original space marine painting guide

Salamander medics left arm, shoulder pad and side of helmet are red, right arm, shoulder pad and side of helmet white. this tradition started when one medic refused to wash off his brothers blood from his arm after administering the emperors peace and painted his arm red to hide the blood. the tradition was quickly adopted throughout the chapter.

This even with the new green of snot and scorpion rather than Sallie black and sallie green looks really cool.

I also do old school reversed shoulder pads:
normal shoulder pad: green trim, black pad, sallie symbol in orange with highlights.
reversed
green trim, orange pad, green (ork flesh/ black mix or sallie green, with scorpion highlights)

heinrichvoncarstein
09-10-2008, 12:06
That's also old fluff... I think, at least, the apothecary in the new sm dex isn't painted like that...

salamandercaptain
09-10-2008, 12:16
I know, see post #16 for my views on P111

;-)