PDA

View Full Version : Marines - do they have a "life"

slaanghoul
02-08-2008, 05:28
Question to Marines expert.

Do they have a life? I mean, do they have holiday and go out partying and drinking and sleeping with women (or men if they are that kind)?

Do they have family ties with their old relative? I know they don't get mary and such, what about their sisters and brothers and mom/dad kind of thing .. . do they ever go back and visit?

Last, I don't recall any marines with last name .. . do they even use last name in 40k? Seems like everybody just have a name and that's it. Horus, Typus, Yarick, etc. . .
Are the names new name or old birth name that they were born with or new name once they become marines.

thanks

darth mortis
02-08-2008, 05:44
well the only marines that spring to mind that still have a "life" if you can call it that would be the space wolves, because they still drink and party in there great feasting halls in the fang. as for sleeping with wommen / men bit i dont know of anywhere you would find that sort of info so id have to say no it just dont happen. there life is to the chapter and the emperor and that is all there is apart from the marines battle brothers.

some of the ultramarines have ties to there family such as urial ventris whos cousin ( or other family member i cant quite remember ) was a member of the veteran company during the first great tyranic war and was killed. it seems that those familys whos sons are chosen to join the ultras are extremly proud but i dont think they every have any contact with there son again.

marines do have last names its just that only when formally addressing themselves do they use it as in i am urial ventris captain of the 4th company of ultramrines, sort of speach. or in the space wolf case ragnar thunderfist was chaged to ragnar blackmane after he killed a fenris wolf in his training to become a marine, and space wolfs get given names for there courage / deeds so thats where there last names come from. i hope that this helps you and answers some of your questions.

sydbridges
02-08-2008, 05:45

Do they have a life? I mean, do they have holiday and go out partying and drinking and sleeping with women (or men if they are that kind)?

Do they have family ties with their old relative? I know they don't get mary and such, what about their sisters and brothers and mom/dad kind of thing .. . do they ever go back and visit?

Last, I don't recall any marines with last name .. . do they even use last name in 40k? Seems like everybody just have a name and that's it. Horus, Typus, Yarick, etc. . .
Are the names new name or old birth name that they were born with or new name once they become marines.

thanks

Holidays depends on the chapter. Some of them have them, some don't. They don't tend to be 'fun' holidays, mostly days of remembering past heroes or deep shames.
Partying/Drinking depends on the individual and the chapter. You're much more likely to see a Space Wolf getting drunk than an Ultramarine.
Sleeping with women/men - seems like no, with the exception that Chaos Marines might, especially if they're devotees of Slaanesh.
Family ties - may depend on the chapter, but most likely not. Once you're a marine, you're too busy doing the Emperor's work to call your mother, even though she was in labor for six hours with you.
At least during the Horus Heresy, some Space Marines had last names. Furthermore, the existence of Pedro Cantor of the Crimson Fists demonstrates that modern marines can have last names, too. Probably depends on what world they're from and what chapter and whether someone felt like coming up with a first and last name for the character.
I don't think they take new names upon becoming a marine, but it probably depends on the chapter.

G.I.JimmyJazz
02-08-2008, 06:01
as far as a sex drive, marines lose it during the trasformation. (i know blood angels recruits spend a year in a sarcophugus to let the gene seed and other modifications grow. and many sleep and meditate in them when there back on Baal). im not sure how other chapters let the seed grow but i would assume it wouldn't be much different.

In the book Fulgrim, one marine states at a musical performance after the chapter started to become corrupt by Slaanesh, that he started to get "urges" towards the performers that he hadn't felt in many ages.

Emperors Children were very artsy before there fall. marines would paint murals and watch recitels and different performances in their free time,

i cant recite the sorce or how accurate it was but i read somehere that marines dont sleep, they kind of hybernate, but are still allert to there surroundings. again how accurate that is i cant say.

Solomen Demeter, Saul Tarvitz, Julius Kasterston(sp) are different Emperors Children.

where as Dante, Tycho, Mepheston (cant remember his birth name but it was also one word) are different blood angels, it all depends on where there from

ironcurtin117
02-08-2008, 06:08
Well, the Wolves are known to get a little wild and crazy, they're able to make some kind of beer that can get even a space marine drunk (only b/c of some root they use). In the books, marines do take breaks w/ close comrades and have some wine or something. As for the ladies and/or dudes, the only thing I've heard of that is regarding the Emperor's Children. Apparently they're the only marines with the ability to procreate and who actively participate in intimate acts.

Brother Siccarius
02-08-2008, 06:17

Yes on all counts. Though on the last one it's debatable how effective their procreation abilities are (Though at least one chapter was known to take the "Rape and Pillage" route seriously before excommunication).

I doubt they really have "holiday" but when they've completed their daily rituals they are pretty well free to do as they please. A lot of chapters, however, may have a somewhat abnormal view of having a "life". The Space Wolves seem to be the closest to the rowdy lifestyle you appear to be implying.

By the time they're done with their training, the immediate family is usually dead for some time. However, certain chapters, like the Ultramarines have some ties to their family tree. Around Ultramar, having a Space Marine drawn from your family is a great honor, and they may certainly try to remember them.

thanks

Last names are generally given up, you're chapter is your family/tribe/ect. upon rebirth as a Space Marine. Though some will attain new ones in the form of nicknames or titles.

Avaron
02-08-2008, 07:03
then again alot of those names may actualy be there last name.

when you are in a small group of people where you will know most everyone there you rarely use your full name. think of being in a sports team or heck even just Highschool. How many of us was called just by there last name in High school.

most have full names they just don't come up much in the fluff given most of its in a life or death battle saying "hey Brother William Simpson please shoot those guys trying to kill us" much better to yell "Brother BILL kill them!"

Archaon
02-08-2008, 07:09
I think the 1st Marine Codex for the 3rd edition had a timetable for a Marine's day.. it was meticulously planned out between weapons drill, prayer, contemplation, study, a few hours of real sleep etc.

Only 15 minutes of the day were allowed for private use (usually used for mediation or some such).

Of course this was the guideline for a Codex Astartes chapter.. since the vast spread of Marine novels we've seen many different aspects. As we know the Space Wolves are the party dudes amongst the Marines whereas the Salamanders seem to retain close bonds with civilians on their home planet and i don't think all Marine Chapters clamp down on non-regulation behaviour as long as it doesn't violate the chapters guidelines.

The Ultras are also integrated very closely into Ultramar to a point that normal citizens get used to seeing them around.

talos935
02-08-2008, 08:29
Marines still party/have festivals, but they tend to be on selected days, eg the rise of the emperor to the throne, the aprox 'birthday'/find day of their primarch, the last day their primarch was seen. There'll probablies be more days depending upon the chapter. Of course someone has to keep guard on these days, so one/two companies will be kept on guard duty. Most festival days are also the opertunity to promote/aplaude existing marines, wether it be from scout to battle brother or battle honours.
IIRC once you become a space marine you break all ties with your family. Also do you think Dante or Cassius still rings their mothers?

Gorbad Ironclaw
02-08-2008, 08:41
I doubt they really have "holiday" but when they've completed their daily rituals they are pretty well free to do as they please.

Rituals, training etc. It's not like they have hours of free time each day to do what they please in.

In one of the old marine books there was a breakdown of a typical day at the chapter fortress. It contained 15 minutes of free time where you could meditate in your cell, thinking about past heroes, the gravity of your duties etc. If the chapter master didn't considered it a frivolous waste of time and put in more training instead that is.

Eetion
02-08-2008, 08:58
I always imagined Marines to have 2nd names... In fact Im going to go further and say the names maentioned, Corbullo, Dante, Mephiston, Namaan are all 2nd names.
They do have first names as im sure Chapter masters Vladimir Pugh and Logan Grimnar will agree, its just tehy dont typicly dont use their names in arank system..

I mean... Can you see a current marine/sailor/airman calling their superiors on a first name basis.... As much as they may want to, their is a certain protocol to follow... (privately is another matter though)
Its the same with the Marines, on duty and in battlezones its Master Dante, in your 15 mins rest period its probably Frank.

Dakkagor
02-08-2008, 09:09
No, space marines don't have a life.

any time not taken up training is spent meditating

Any time not spent meditating is spent killing the emperors enemies

Any time spent not doing the above 3 is time spent dying in some godforsaken hell hole, with an officers permission ofcourse.

As for names, it depends on the chapter. Some chapters might have a ritualised naming system, others might just use birth names, whatever the culture of the planet suggests.

But most space marines (apart from the Emperors children and the Spacewolves) do not have free time to run around the galaxy getting tanked, scoring with chicks and pimping their rhinos.

Adra
02-08-2008, 09:32
Marines do have time away from their duties. This time shouldnt, however, be mistaken for a holiday or free time. Any time a marine has he will drive into some aspect of his training or worship. He may get a day once a year called Saints Day for example where marines are free from their duties for the day, but no marine is gonna go off drinking and dancing, they will spend it on personnal development of some sort, but one they enjoy. so it may be visiting a shrine or climbing a big mountain or even just meditation. most free time marines have is in fact highly structured.

Space Wolves are an interesting example because they seem to be a bit wilder and more free with there free time but really its just another ritual in a shell of aparent freedom. The drinking and the singing goes along with the telling of tales and the recounting of great deeds of past warriors. in this way the chapter reminds itself of its past and instills pride in its marines. its all highly ritualistic but would seem to just be the wolves having a laugh. no reason they cant enjoy it but its still an important part of the space wolf culture and not really free time at all.

heretics bane
02-08-2008, 13:58
i cant recite the sorce or how accurate it was but i read somehere that marines dont sleep, they kind of hybernate, but are still allert to there surroundings. again how accurate that is i cant say.

They can sleep, they have the Catalepsean Node in there brains that allows them to switch of parts of their brains while still remain fully conscience to fight or stay alert, but the blood ravens chapter(my fav) have a mutation in theres so they are incapable or R.E.M sleep and have perfect recall,doubting their sanity.

As for a marines social life, most of them basicly live like monks do. Medidtating,training,reading etc. so not much time to have massive parties but they do have feasts after great victories,anniversaires etc.

Dont the SW have a special herb that turns of there anti-poision gland so they can get drunk?

Norminator
02-08-2008, 15:10
To lower the tone a bit....

Would it even by physically possible, if they had the necessary *ahem* equipment, for marines to copulate? I have images of breaking pelvis' and torn tissue as some poor woman has a lusty Space Wolf giving her his attention.

Reminds me of when Horus tries to shake that preacher and breaks his neck.....

Sister_Sin
02-08-2008, 15:21
The Salamanders live amongst the people of Nocturne when not at war, so yes, they have ties outside the Chapter itself. Some of them probably see their families. Can't say on the sex part of it though.

Space Wolves brew a mead specifically to get drunk on and they party hard.

I think it varies with the Chapter.

Sister Sin

Slazton
02-08-2008, 15:28
Space Wolves also have close ties to the people and are seen interacting amongst the populace, as seen in Space Wolf, the first Space Wovles book. However, I would imagine its pretty limited unlike the Salamanders who still live with their people as amongst the populace and are found as the local Smiths etc.

Codex Marines cut off all ties to their families, seeing their purpose as sacrificing their chance of being normal to live their lives for the people and the Emperor and defend His Domain and His People. That is what a Marine leaves behind. To them, they can recall some of what they left behind, but not entirely care.

Ventris was one of the Marines to comment on being jealous of a trooper he saved in that the Trooper had a wife and kids, but Uriel realizes that he would give up that chance over and over again because he serves a higher purpose. Marines can not procreate, but they can have the relatioonship if they had that desire.

Through all the drugs, implants etc, that drive is burnt out of them mentally and physically. They exist to serve and pray. They are warrior-monks and only a few non-codex chapters break this norm.

Denise
02-08-2008, 16:20
I remember seeing the general schedule of space marines in some fluff related section in some book somewhere and as I recall they only had about one hour a day of "free time." This free time also came with the note: "may be less time depending on the chapter." I also seriously doubt this whole party thing because it really seems kind of un-space marine except for the space wolves who also seem un-space marine to me. Though, it is the warhammer 40k universe, so somewhere out there everything is true.

Hrw-Amen
02-08-2008, 16:23
Well I can't speak for Space Wolves and the like but if you are an Ultrmarine you get about 10minutes free each day, assuming you are not in the field ect. If you look at my entry under the thread 'Ultramarine Fluff' I've taken a lot of stuff from WD 97, which OK was a long time ago and alot has been re-witten or re-vamped since then but it does give a breakdown of a marines day. Not much free time, but they could call home I guess in that 10 minutes if they wanted to do so.

As for visits I guess that depends on where they come from. If like the Ultramarines they recruit from numerous worlds then unless you happen to be based on one I would imagine it would be hard to do anyway. I expect that for an average Imperial citizen the cost of interplanetary travel is still quite high?

A couple of other points as well, in the HH book Descent of Angels, didnlt they say that after the implants and what have you o become a marine then only a sort of vague recollection of parents and family existed? I seam to recall that it was said thos memories faded pretty quickly, although they appeared to remember the planet and surroundings OK. I guess that may have been as they were in regular contact with it though.

The other thing is that in some very old stuff back from the RT days (Which I know alot has changed since then.) at least some of those who went onto become marines were born to female chapter slaves. Now it does not say who the fathers were before anyone starts thinking along those lines! However if that was the case then it maybe that your mother at least is the little serf woman who mucks out your cell every other day or cleans the blood from the practice cage. It does not say whether they are permitted to know whose mother is who though and if they have any relationship once born.

Number 24
02-08-2008, 16:48
The whole notion of "free time" is a relatively strange idea in the overall scheme of human history. The notion that people should only spend about 20% of their time working to support themselves and their families (which is about what we in the industrialized west do) would be considered downright insane in most places and in most times throughout human history. In a dark future where the entire human race is ruled by a theocratic military complex dedicated to waging war for survival or producing the capital necessary to wage said war it seems almost ludicrous to me that anybody, marine or otherwise, has much of a "life".

The marines are described as being almost monastic in character (with a few exceptions obviously). Seeing as their numbers are relatively few (compared to the rest of humanity) and their responsibilities are so large, it's not hard to imagine that their entire life is spent in pursuit of their duties. Most of the fluff seems to back this assertion. A Space Marine's "life" is his duty, and a Space Marine is disciplined to accept this duty, not with the tired resignation of a man condemned to work his whole life, but with the pride and enthusiasm of a man who has chosen his path in life and has chosen to dedicate himself to something larger and more important than his self and his own gratification.

The Chaos Space Marines are the men who turned away from their duties to pursue their own glory and gratification. The loyalists are the men who fight for the Imperium and for all mankind. They have a "life", and that is it.

Only a heretic would question this path... :eyebrows:

Wolfblade670
02-08-2008, 17:17
Well depending on the chapter there may be "free time" granted to pursue activitites that are seen as spiritually or physically enriching. I remember reading somewhere that the Blood Angels are famous for their appreciation of art, and some would spend time painting, sculpting, or composing music as a form of meditation. I can also imagine that many chapters, especially the Space Wolves and the Ultramarines, would have contests of skill and strength much like the ancient Olympic and Highland games. Strikes me as a great way to both train and boost morale, and perhaps even provide some entertainment for the locals.

The Anarchist
02-08-2008, 17:22
whilst most chapters have rigourus training rituals and such, but even space marines wouldn't want to do this all the time non-stop. however if i remember correctly Salamanders and Iron Hands also keep close ties to family and clan when becoming a Marine. so if we take the codex astartes then they wouldn't really keep many close ties to their family, but then how many chapters keep religiously close to the codex 9except the smurfs of course).

as for names i would assume for the msot part its a matter of personal choice for the marine. with the exception of titles like Greymane or Thunderfist, these are names a Marine gets from his comrades and are much like a titile. also in the line of duty you don't call your superior officers by their first name, however in your down time its jsut as if talking to any one else in the same army as you, if first names are acceptable use them, if nicknames are...etc.

jsut my two cents.

naked_surfer
02-08-2008, 17:54
Wasn't there an article on the GW website which described a typical space marine's day? IIRC it said they had 15 minutes of free time in the evening which was often spent in prayer.

To the best of my understanding they are warrior monks who devote their lives to war (with some exceptions like the SW).

Goq Gar
02-08-2008, 18:03
15 minutes a day for "self enjoyment" is what I read.

And then wished I hadn't.

heretics bane
02-08-2008, 18:24

Lol another funny innuendo from Goq Gar:D

Yes, that is what the codex astartes states there allowed for mmh personnal time *has image of marine in room with sisters of battle monthly*:rolleyes:

naked_surfer
02-08-2008, 18:40
I could fit alot of 'self enjoyment' into 15 minutes! :D

matt2792
03-08-2008, 00:38
The only mention of a "life" i've heard of is in the black library space wolf saga, where they party and drink a lot, but i haven't read much fluff past a couple of novels and the codex background bits

Hierarch
03-08-2008, 02:08
Marines give up their past life in order to serve the Emperor. To them serving the Emperor is the only thing that matters and in so thinking that they only have 15 to 45 mins to themselves everday depending on the chapter. The only time when they wouldnt get a break is when they are at war with xeno or heretics. They do not get to meet their parents or family when they even have spare time. As with the chapter they are with they may not get any time to themselves to show that they are purely dedicated to the Emperor.
Space Wolves I think are the roudy chapter, they get feasts and drink regularly.

So yes they have a life but have no social one.

Hope this helps : )

Brother Siccarius
03-08-2008, 05:54
I think the 1st Marine Codex for the 3rd edition had a timetable for a Marine's day.. it was meticulously planned out between weapons drill, prayer, contemplation, study, a few hours of real sleep etc.

Only 15 minutes of the day were allowed for private use (usually used for mediation or some such).

Yet you really don't see that, even from the fluff given directly from GW in codexies. You might hear about someone doing their duties and giving their armor the proper rituals, but then they have the rest of the time to themselves when they're finished doing that.

The schedule is on the Uk GW website: http://uk.games-workshop.com/spacemarines/rituals/1/

Though there are some periods of time I'd question; a 2 hour shooting range session may be a little long when most marines only use a single type of weapon and ammunition. I'm more than certain, as well, that some events would take less time for a more veteran marine than a normal marine (Cleaning of equipment, Tactical Indoctrination, ect).
It's also good to note one of the notes on that article: The inclusion of day long holidays within the marine's schedule.

Of course this was the guideline for a Codex Astartes chapter.. since the vast spread of Marine novels we've seen many different aspects. As we know the Space Wolves are the party dudes amongst the Marines whereas the Salamanders seem to retain close bonds with civilians on their home planet and i don't think all Marine Chapters clamp down on non-regulation behaviour as long as it doesn't violate the chapters guidelines.

The Ultras are also integrated very closely into Ultramar to a point that normal citizens get used to seeing them around.
Which itself proves my point. Unless they do a regular show of going about their duties, like the Changing of the Guard, how would the populace see them regularly enough to recognize them.

Emperor's Grace
03-08-2008, 06:02
Though there are some periods of time I'd question; a 2 hour shooting range session may be a little long when most marines only use a single type of weapon and ammunition

Unless their "range" is actually close fire urban scenarios. Think Navy Seal tactical exercises crossed with an X-men danger room. I could see that taking awhile....

I could also see that time having pre/post briefings or critiques. Vets watch and help improve the others through formal/informal lesson.

Brother Siccarius
03-08-2008, 07:30
Unless their "range" is actually close fire urban scenarios. Think Navy Seal tactical exercises crossed with an X-men danger room. I could see that taking awhile....

Which would fall under one of their two five hour battle practice sessions more likely.

slaanghoul
03-08-2008, 07:57
Marines still party/have festivals, but they tend to be on selected days, eg the rise of the emperor to the throne, the aprox 'birthday'/find day of their primarch, the last day their primarch was seen. There'll probablies be more days depending upon the chapter. Of course someone has to keep guard on these days, so one/two companies will be kept on guard duty. Most festival days are also the opertunity to promote/aplaude existing marines, wether it be from scout to battle brother or battle honours.
IIRC once you become a space marine you break all ties with your family. Also do you think Dante or Cassius still rings their mothers?

Is this your PO or is this from a novel or fluff somewhere? I didn't know that celebrate this days you mention.

slaanghoul
03-08-2008, 08:02
Marines do have time away from their duties. This time shouldnt, however, be mistaken for a holiday or free time. Any time a marine has he will drive into some aspect of his training or worship. He may get a day once a year called Saints Day for example where marines are free from their duties for the day, but no marine is gonna go off drinking and dancing, they will spend it on personnal development of some sort, but one they enjoy. so it may be visiting a shrine or climbing a big mountain or even just meditation. most free time marines have is in fact highly structured.

Space Wolves are an interesting example because they seem to be a bit wilder and more free with there free time but really its just another ritual in a shell of aparent freedom. The drinking and the singing goes along with the telling of tales and the recounting of great deeds of past warriors. in this way the chapter reminds itself of its past and instills pride in its marines. its all highly ritualistic but would seem to just be the wolves having a laugh. no reason they cant enjoy it but its still an important part of the space wolf culture and not really free time at all.

Is this one freed day 8hr Imperial day? or 24hr. terra one spine?

olmsted
03-08-2008, 08:20
if it still spins you mean.

once you become a marine your a marine and the family is no longer important to you. mom and dad are just servants of the imperium. yes uriel remembered that his ancestor was a marine and it was a memory of pride to his family however his duty is to the emperor and to die for the emperor

even in most chapters its extremely rare for them to just walk amongst the populace. even the space wolves prefer to stay out of the midsts of the tribes of fenris except when its time to take in recruits during great battles.

however all chapters do have days of feasting and rememberance.

although i do believe many of them when they are not called off to some distant battle that most can be seen talking to commanders, drinking with battle brothers, and training unfortuantly.

however it is noted that marines need very little sleep to return to maximum effeciency.

and as one noted it is a geneseed that allows the light hibernation.

FerrumIgnatus
03-08-2008, 09:00
Space Marines have lives? hell's taco bells, if you call; don't sleep, don't eat, don't speak, don't question your orders, just fight! a life, then I really pity you... Of course, some Astartes Legions think they have a life by doing things they love the most.

for instance;

World Eaters: Kill, maim and burn for pure fun.
Iron Warriors: Shell places to oblivion for pure fun.
Emperor's Children: They enjoy the sheer lust of.. -you know darn well what they do on their spare time-
Night Lords: WHO do you think are the monsters that live under your bed, huh?
Ultramarines: Military Parade all day, huzzah!
Space Wolves: Bunch of drunken puppies, I tell you!
Raven Guard: Emo marines that enjoy sad poems
Blood Angels: Like Sanguinius, they love the catwalk. yeah baby, you glow!
Dark Angels: Their vision of fun: Hunt for Fallen, and upholding their terrible secret; The Rock is infact the largest party den in the universe that would make the Playboy Mansion look like a derelict cardboard-box home.
White Scars: 40K Hell's Angels, do I need to say more?
Word Bearers: Delve deep in their libraries, reading Harry Potter.
Iron Hands: Play Halo3
Alpha Legion: Do all the things mentioned above. They are master infiltrators, after all.
Imperial Fists: argue with the Iron Warriors who won the Iron Cage Incident, and brag on how Rogal Dorn was the Emperor's lapdog.

Kidding aside, I believe the Astartes do think they have a life, since they're genetically altered, superhuman beings that devote their lives to war, prayers and the occasionally celebration in honour to whatever they might honour. be it a legendary hero of their chapter/legion, the death of their primarch/chapter master, or their victory in some long-term campaign.

FI

Adra
03-08-2008, 12:22
A marine gives himself utterly to the Emperor. Every part of him is a dedication to Him and every action and reaction is a glory or a shame to His name. From the moment a marine wakes his life if for the Emperor and every part of that life is shaped for this great duty. With that in mind I dont think marines ever really have free time or at least dont see it as free. Even time away from their duties does not release them from their ties to honour and glory. Even in times of freedom a marine will pursue this dedication with lazer like focus, even if that means doing it in a way that is through personnal choice as apose to a daily structure.

Rabid Bunny 666
03-08-2008, 13:09
Salamanders have a close link with their families.

slaanghoul
03-08-2008, 15:31
A marine gives himself utterly to the Emperor. Every part of him is a dedication to Him and every action and reaction is a glory or a shame to His name. From the moment a marine wakes his life if for the Emperor and every part of that life is shaped for this great duty. With that in mind I dont think marines ever really have free time or at least dont see it as free. Even time away from their duties does not release them from their ties to honour and glory. Even in times of freedom a marine will pursue this dedication with lazer like focus, even if that means doing it in a way that is through personnal choice as apose to a daily structure.

Maybe that is why they turn to chaos. . . . all the stress of work and no life. Who want to live like that. With chaos, they are in a way .. . free. Free to do as they please with such power.

The though of having super power and not being able to use it for fun is .. .. sad.

Lotan
03-08-2008, 17:58
There's no standard for whether or not they keep contact with past lives, it's mostly down to the individual chapter traditions. This could be for many reasons but I believe its security. In the heresy you had marines that knew their history and sometimes made alliances clear, like Terra first Cthonia Second etc...

To prevent this happening again most chapters would surely "wipe" the memory of the new marine in the countless hours of hynotherapy that they receive to make them into the "For the Emperor" marines we all know. Their new chapter name will be giiven to them and then you have a marine born unto the chapter with no lyalty elsewhere than to the Big E and the Chapter itself.

As for the sex, yes they can, I asked Jez Goodwin about this and he said, yes they have all the parts necessary but they're monks, they're recruited before those feelings develop then turned into a killing machine. After that its all about self control and stoicism.

And yes, it was awkward getting to the point of a conversation with him when I had to drop in a space marine cock and ball question!

druchii lord narakh
03-08-2008, 20:03
space marines do have holidays but there not like what you think. on those holidays they more or less medatate and rest.
Space marines do sleep except for some chapters like blood ravens who have geneseed mutations that make it so they cant sleep.
A marine could procreate and stuff but if you read most of the time it says every part of a marine is enhanced. so in the words of the manager at my GW "a marine would probably kill anyone they try to do the nasty with."
once your a marine your only family is the battle brothers in your chapter and other chapters. you have no mother or father. and depending on the chapter your only sisters could be are the sisters of battle.

Kage2020
03-08-2008, 23:10
Yes, Marines have a life. It's not just one that you would want to lead. Indeed, one of my favourite quotes that I believe deals with Marines is appropriate here:

Did you ever notice how in the Bible, when ever God needed to punish someone, or make an example, or whenever God needed a killing, he sent an angel? Did you ever wonder what a creature like that must be like? A whole existence spent praising your God, but always with one wing dipped in blood. Would you ever really want to see an angel?

Always worked for me. :D

Kage

CasperTheGhost
03-08-2008, 23:28
Would it even by physically possible, if they had the necessary *ahem* equipment, for marines to copulate? I have images of breaking pelvis' and torn tissue as some poor woman has a lusty Space Wolf giving her his attention.

Norminator my friend. Your are a twisted minded sicko :p

*sigh* :D

Casper

Norminator
03-08-2008, 23:50
Norminator my friend. Your are a twisted minded sicko :p

Yeah, and you're sigged :p

jma037
04-08-2008, 00:41
If you ever worked in a factory, you'll know that the pet hate of any operations manager is "down time". Every minute a marine is not killing is a minute wasted. Cold hard economics.

jma037
04-08-2008, 00:45
A marine could procreate and stuff but if you read most of the time it says every part of a marine is enhanced. so in the words of the manager at my GW "a marine would probably kill anyone they try to do the nasty with."

Unless that special someone is another marine.

Slazton
04-08-2008, 01:01
A Marine is meant to kill. The Horus Hersey is actually a good series to read as it shows the differences between the chapters and how they think. Marines are not going to do the nasty, their idea of arousal is a bolt pistol unloading its clip in some heretic while his chainsword impales another in the groin and tears upwards. Thats a Marine's idea of reproduction. Using a large phailic thing with spinning teeth to tear some one apart.

That could be why the World Eaters fell to Khorne, they were so sexually frustrated they just couldn't stop killing with those phailic swords....

Kage2020
04-08-2008, 01:21
Oh no! It's the symbolism of Xena! :D ;)

Kage

Koryphaus
04-08-2008, 02:10
Unless that special someone is another marine.

Or the marine was on the bottom. :eek: An unarmoured marine has to weigh a lot..

lain2k3
04-08-2008, 04:15
They live in a Fortress-Monastery.

Fortress-Monastery.

I have a feeling they don't get out much, on average.

Lotan
04-08-2008, 11:36
What! I'm sure Marneus Calgar has had a sordid affair with the new recruits dinner lady! I saw it in a book somewhere, can't remember which one but I'll look it up for you...... hehehe

EDIT: Oh yeah...he kept the gauntlets on.

The Wildchild
04-08-2008, 14:54
Space Marines are essentially warrior monks, so abstain from all sexual practise.

Although I'm sure that if a Sister of Battle came knocking on their Rhino their abstenence would be questioned!

Helsing
21-08-2008, 04:46
A Space Marine sacrifices his life and identity to the Imperium by becoming what he is. He becomes the Guardian of his race without ever being able to return to it.

Helsing.

PS - Yarrick is Commissar Sebastian Yarrick's last name.

swordbob
21-08-2008, 17:10
Space Marines are essentially warrior monks, so abstain from all sexual practise.

Although I'm sure that if a Sister of Battle came knocking on their Rhino their abstenence would be questioned!

Quoting because the first bit is a pretty good point. These guys are warrior monks in space. They probably do things like read and write holy texts and philosophy and strategy in their spare time. Some probably devote their time to meditation or artwork, aren't Salamanders supposed to be blacksmiths? Monks in the middle ages often had breweries, much like the Space Wolves. The White Scars might spend time retooling their "most holy hogs", much like Ork bikers, only more reverently and with less explosions.

21-08-2008, 19:09
well torragadadon and co seemed to have a life ( even if it was 10k years ago)

Allen
21-08-2008, 19:43
It seems indeed that when the Emperor was around marines were enhanced, brutal mass-killing machines...but with some kind of social life. Nowadays marine are warrior monks, AND brutal mass-killing machines. That means their idea of social life is praying, meditating, training, praying and so on.

For what is worth, however, I think I have the Ultimate Thought of Doom that Will End any Debate About Marines and Sex (trademark): the process of becoming a Space Marine is filled up with biological, surgical and chemical enhancements and modifications. All those things probably screw up the ability and the urge to procreate.
AFAIK even during the Great Crusade the space marines were considered some sort of eunuchs.

Nerak
21-08-2008, 20:33
Simply take your time to read the last page in the 3d ed Rulerbook. Ok, I'll spare you the bother:
"Legion astartes (note, Codex chapters) daily rituals"

04.00-morning prayer
05.00-morning firing rites
07.00-Battle practice
12.00-Midday prayer
13.00-Midday meal
13.15-Tactical indoctrination
15.00-Battle practice
20.00-Evening Prayer
21.00-Evening meal
21.30-Night Fighting Exercises
23.15-Maintenance rituals
23.45-Free time
24.00/00.00-Rest period begins.

Note, of course these daily rituals varies from chapter to chapter and from planet to planet, depending on tradition and also the ammount of time a single day take.

The free time is seen as a unwarrent luxuary at best and an dangerous distraction at worst. By roubert Guilliman: "Concider (the) magnitude of your duty at your leisure, but act without hesitation when (action) is required"
-Quote 3d sm codex, p 48.

Finnith
21-08-2008, 20:43
Marines do have lives, they do what they love all day every day. They dont get paid so its not a job and after all they volunteered to become marines even if they didnt really know what it would be like. If they didnt want to become marines then they could have failed at the various challenges set them or even just not participated.

Most of the original chapters seem to have more downtime compared to some of the newer ones but this could just be due to having more traditions, habbits or just like to ride the fame wave. Seem to remember blood angels sculpted, painted and did other artsy things because its what they enjoy. These are often sold off after they are made in order to make some cash on the side and to stop the marine becoming distracted from his duties. When chapters meet there will be various ceremonies which take place from ritual combat (Dark angels and space wolves) to huge banquets. These whilst part of their duties will also be considered downtime.

I think only the salamanders keep track of their families after they become space marines. However chapters might keep detailed records of which families produce space marine candidates the most. Very much in an evil eugenics style where the chapter would arrange marriages between families which had a high rate of producing space marines. If this happens then theres a fair chance that space marines could be cousins, uncles or even brothers when they get selected.

Last names will depend on the chapter. Some may be given totally new names, other might keep their old ones.

I general id say the older chapters would have more of the original posters benefits such as time off compared to the newer chapters.

PARTYCHICORITA
27-08-2008, 15:37
A marine could procreate and stuff

Can he? I was under the impression the reproductive system was remove as part of the "becoming a marine" process. No wonder they are all so angry and fear no death.

Bloodknight
27-08-2008, 16:24
That timetable must be utter crap. I mean: Space Wolves do party, Salamanders are smiths, Imperial Fists engrave stuff on the bones of their dead brothers, Blood Angels are known for their art and so on. How are they supposed to do anything of that in a meaningful way in 15 minutes? Makes no sense at all. That Salamander would have to run up to the furnace, beat the iron a few times and then run to bed in that quarter of an hour. They just could not get good at that "hobby" in 15 minutes, and therefore the stuff they make would at best suck from getting heated too often. And that is assuming that somebody keeps a lot of furnaces heated all the time (servitors, I know. Still).
I think that that schedule is hugely exaggerated. Also, there is not much use at training too much. At some point you are just as good as you can get, if you train 8 or 16 hours probably won't make any difference.

Grimbad
27-08-2008, 23:02
That timetable must be utter crap. I mean: Space Wolves do party, Salamanders are smiths, Imperial Fists engrave stuff on the bones of their dead brothers, Blood Angels are known for their art and so on. How are they supposed to do anything of that in a meaningful way in 15 minutes? Makes no sense at all. That Salamander would have to run up to the furnace, beat the iron a few times and then run to bed in that quarter of an hour. They just could not get good at that "hobby" in 15 minutes, and therefore the stuff they make would at best suck from getting heated too often. And that is assuming that somebody keeps a lot of furnaces heated all the time (servitors, I know. Still).
I think that that schedule is hugely exaggerated. Also, there is not much use at training too much. At some point you are just as good as you can get, if you train 8 or 16 hours probably won't make any difference.

True grit.
They overcome the difficulty of maintaining a hobby in 15 minutes a day by learning to shoot a bolter with one hand. With a marine's improved ability to multitask and his armor's autosenses, I'm sure he could complete marksmanship practice with one hand and paint a picture with the other.
No, it isn't canon.

Rylanor
28-08-2008, 02:25
Man.
I used to think that being a Space Marine would be amazing.
Now I'm not so sure.... No sex FTL....