PDA

View Full Version : 2250pt Slaanesh Daemon army

Lord Inquisitor
02-08-2008, 19:40
Okay: here's my attempt at a competitive Slaanesh daemon army for a tournament. I had to cut out most of the Daemonic Gifts and quite a few troops to squeeze it into the points limit (damn these daemons get expensive quick). The only thing I really splurged on was the Spirit Swallower for the GD. I know I'm going to get shot at - I want to make sure she can get her wounds back.

One thing I'm not sure about - should I go for the Icon of Dispair as in the list to go for the Ld cripple combo with the Masque, or should I plump for the Standard of Sundering and protect my troops from magic? I only have 5 dispel dice, and I'm paying through the nose for those - while the Dispair icon looks pretty nasty, I'm really concerned about magic-heavy Undead, against whom it would be pretty limited.

The plan is to use the small unit of daemonettes as "bait" to draw out the enemy in deployment and then use a refused flank. The seekers can use their siren standards to charge small units of missile troops without a) being shot or b) them fleeing. The Keeper, Icon and Masque try to get into the enemy's battle lines and cause as many Terror tests at -2 (potentially -5 to one unit with the Masque).

Any other suggestions?

Keeper of Secrets (635)
Spirit Swallower
Level 3 mage

The Masque (90)

Herald of Slaanesh (290)
Level 1 mage
Mount of Slaanesh
Battle Standard Bearer
Great Icon of Dispair
Siren

Herald of Slaanesh (140)
Level 1 mage

15 Daemonettes (198)
Standard + Musician

14 Daemonettes (186)
Standard + Musician

10 Daemonettes (138)
Standard + Musician

5 Seekers of Slaanesh (150)
Full Command

6 Seekers of Slaanesh (199)
Full Command
Siren Standard

7 Seekers of Slaanesh (223)
Full Command
Siren Standard

Total: 2249 points

The_Dark_Lord
02-08-2008, 20:03
id go with the standard of sundering personally, you're gonna need some protection against spells, and this is perfect for making your enemies fail larger spells, or use more dice to cast smaller ones. anyhoo you're keeper should be able to help out with the masque with her magic. and ye the SS is expensive, but you're gonna need to get wounds back. but is it worth having a lord that expensive over say... 3 more heroes that can help units aswell? i use all heroes sometimes and sometimes have lords too with daemons. ad both work well, but it depends what you think. pretty nice looking list though

Lord Inquisitor
07-08-2008, 01:29
Hmm, you're probably right, as this will protect me against any and all magic, and would really screw up undead. It'll save me 25 points for another seeker or another daemonic ablity. Although against Dwarves the -2 Ld standard would be infinitely more useful. Argh, which to choose?

The other thing I just thought of - are the two level 1 heralds worth the 50 points each for the magic levels? The Lore of Slaanesh doesn't have any cheap spells for Level 1 wizards, meaning if these two are casting, the GD is going to have to rely on her own dice. With two wounds each and only T3 and a 5+ save for protection, the heralds are big VP sinks!

jigplums
07-08-2008, 09:49
you are immune to psycholoy, do you need musicians?
I'd only put champs in units that will have a herald in.
That will save you alot of points.

yoshimo
07-08-2008, 18:24
but is it really possible to create a competitive tournament list when you are limiting yourself to 25% of the possible troop choices by using a mono god list. with the exception of your keeper you have 80% Str 3 models with the highest otherwise being Str 4

Lord Inquisitor
07-08-2008, 18:53
you are immune to psycholoy, do you need musicians?
Just as with undead, it's very risky not to take them. If the enemy doesn't have them, a draw could be turned into a win. If the enemy does have a musician, that could mean life or death for a unit. If I don't take them, I'll regret it.

I'd only put champs in units that will have a herald in.
That will save you alot of points.
You might be right...

but is it really possible to create a competitive tournament list when you are limiting yourself to 25% of the possible troop choices by using a mono god list. with the exception of your keeper you have 80% Str 3 models with the highest otherwise being Str 4
Good question... I'll find out! I think it should be doable, but I'm going to have to rely on my insane speed. My objective with the seekers and keeper will be to try and get behind the enemy lines while the daemonettes march on their front - ideally attacking one flank from both front and back.

S3 is a bit of a blow to daemonettes, will have to see how that plays. That said, they're all WS5 with 2A each with armour piercing. I'm more concerned about the T3 and 5+ save! I have to admit that the whole battleplan relies on the Keeper smashing through any really tough units like knights. If I lose the Keeper early on, it's going to be an uphill struggle, hence why I spent so much on Spirit Swallower.

Against any enemy but undead or other daemons (both of which I can count on being at the tounrament), the Terror + Icon of Dispair + Masque may allow me to break units without even contacting them.

If this list doesn't work, I'll consider branching out, possibly into some Nurgle.

yoshimo
08-08-2008, 10:56
plaguebearers with a herald on palaquin are possibly the best anvil unit in the game, if the mono slaanesh isn't working try dropping in a unit like this