PDA

View Full Version : Spikyjames' Big 40K log

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

spikyjames
03-08-2008, 00:37
Hi everybody

Well the time has come for me to start another log and i've decided to put it in the 40k subforum as TBH 40k is my main interest gamewise and i mainly paint 40k minis.

Along with this i'm just about to embark on another army for myself, and yes it's another marine army, this time i'm going back a little to an army i did a few years ago but got rid of shortly afterwards.

Ultramarines:)

I'm going to be using the same style i did before but will be encorporating alot more conversions in order to hopefully attempt to make the marines look a bit more like the artwork and tie in with the more gothic metal minis.

Most of the metal mini's will be staying pretty much as they are with a few minor alterations to tie them in with the way the plastics look, sounds kind of contradictory to what i just said but i'm sure you'll realise what i'm on about when you start seeing the conversions popping up.

anyway to get me in the mood i decided to paint the marmite of space marine minis(some like him/some don't) Tigurius.

and here he is-
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Ultramarines/103_3068.jpg
(i'm still working on figuring out my new light box so hopefully the pics will be better soon)

for those of you that haven't seen my work before have a look at the following links

this is the biggy, 90+ pages- http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26344

Dark angels(mainly ravenwing)- http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73690

Mentor legion(Apocalypse book)- http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22789

Hopefully that'll let you all know what your in for.

Coming up in the not too distant future will be a tactical squad for the Ultras and a few DKoK.

Please feel free to comment and ask any questions you have about any of the stuff i've done.

Thanks for looking

James

WhatsHisName
03-08-2008, 01:12
oww ooww first reply

how do you do your green and white ????
lol

edit - sorry i just had to ask as i think a large majority of the last thread was that question.

and tbh i did really liek your "old" smurfs (hehe) a much darker blue to ordinary.

El-Diablo
03-08-2008, 01:27
Thats a great looking Tigurius James, nice and solid. Once you get this army done i'll have to come down to Spiky and throw some daemons at them.

sanctusmortis
03-08-2008, 01:32
That's really awesome. Are you going to add scrolled text on his force weapon parchment and purity seals?

loyalist42
03-08-2008, 01:43
Lookin' sweet already, James...can't wait for more! Though it is a change to see you painting anything that isn't dark green and robed...

:D

Dictator
03-08-2008, 02:21
James. Welcome to the Science fiction project log section. And I will enjoy your new log. But of course miss your old one

Elizas Guardianangel
03-08-2008, 02:49
I can't wait to see what you do next!

DarkAutarch
03-08-2008, 02:58
I read through your other blog after joining this board. I look forward to watching this army progress.

ardyer
03-08-2008, 03:45
Love the snow base!

The_Dark_Raven
03-08-2008, 05:07
Well James good to see your still around even if it's within a new section. Nice work on the base and the blue colours.

Hope to see you get back into the updates soon, :D

Harry
03-08-2008, 06:53
WoW, How do you do your blue and cream. :D

I don't come round these parts much but I had to drop by to wish you all the best. :D

JonesRob
03-08-2008, 09:43
Great looking mini James.

Good luck with the new log, hope its as succesful as your last ones

Elfving71
03-08-2008, 09:54
Looking great.

Coolhand
03-08-2008, 10:00
Nice start to a new log, by the way how did you do his robes?

Toschenko
03-08-2008, 10:04
Just to start with a question :p: the blue looks really sweet, I wouldn't mind a recipe since it's exactly the tone I'd like to use for my librarian(s).

Best of luck with the new thread

Toschenko

SpinningC
03-08-2008, 10:16
Fantastic work dude. Must say the only bit on that mini i dont like is the face sculpt and the way you have painted that has changed my mind on how bad the face cullpt reay is. Cant weight to see the rest of the army take shape.

Chris

Borsil
03-08-2008, 10:34
Just to start with a question :p: the blue looks really sweet, I wouldn't mind a recipe since it's exactly the tone I'd like to use for my librarian(s).

Seconded.

As always with one of your logs, Oh Spikey One, I will be watching with increasing interest and envy :angel:

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
03-08-2008, 11:03
So as we all are free to ask you any questions: How have you done the base with the snow? The snow in particular is what I am looking for - a tutorial? What material, how to make it look realistic?
Thanks in advance!!

Arhalien
03-08-2008, 12:30
Ahah; new log; taking bets on how many pages this one will go to ;)

Nice to see that the change of forum section hasn;t changed your painting ability though; that Tigurius is fantastic :)

ZAlpha
03-08-2008, 12:33
Hmm... although not a fan of the new Tigurius (loves the old one better) and blue marines(UM)

That Tigurius is still very wonderful.

ZAlpha

liamrob
03-08-2008, 16:15
Great start to a new log :D

It was sad to see your old log go but somethings are meant to be.

Just something to start the thread off as well. Since i saw your old log i have been trying to get my painting standard a lot higher. Also all your tips and my hundreds of questions being answered :D

I wish this log good luck as we want it to be bigger and better! Can you do something for GD? As i would like to see you try your hardest on a mini. Please :p

Hollopoint
03-08-2008, 16:36
Not a fan of that particular mini but the paint job is great. I passed by your old log quite a bit and have high expectations for this one. :)

The Wildchild
03-08-2008, 18:07
I have to agree with ZAlpha...the old Tigurius was a 1000 times better, but none the less you've done a fantastic job with a bad sculpt! Can't wait to see the Ultramarines, I've been a massive fan of your work for ages and long may it continue!

Tsen
04-08-2008, 17:03
I was a loyal lurker on your last log, I will remain so for this one, though I think I may actually start posting, :p

wonderful job on the librarian. Only problem I see is that its an ultramarine. :p

Frgt/10
06-08-2008, 13:17
gonna have to subscribe on principle :P
great work as always on tigi

e gazza[zer0_hour]
08-08-2008, 14:18
hey there spiky looking forward to this thread the last one was ace hoping this one will be to

spikyjames
08-08-2008, 17:07
Hi everyone

Thanks for all the encouragement and feedback already, sorry i've not replied to any posts earlier, i've been on holiday for a few days, was good to get away for a while.

now to answer a few questions-

ok, here's how my ultramarines have been and will all be painted-

i start with a black undercoat and only paint one colour at a time until it's finished, that way i can neaten up each colour before starting the next one.
i go through the colours as i do them on the models, also a point to note is that i always water my paints down alot.

1st- i start with the blue-

1- base coat of midnight blue allover(no longer availiable, i have a few pots:) )
2- regal blue on all the armour plates leaving midnight in all the recess's
3- 1st highlight of 50/50 regalblue/ultramarine bluefairly fat around the edges of the armour
4- 2nd highlight ultramarine blue around all the edges of the armour(edging only)
5- 3rd and final highlight space wolf grey only on the extreme edges of the armour plates

the blue wont look as dark as mine as you are going through the process until you have the final highlight on. after i've finished this stage i then black out all the areas that are not supposed to be blue.

i then move on to the metallics

1st- gold
1- shining gold highlight base
2- next a devlan mud wash.
3- shining gold highlight
4- next a burnished gold highlight
5- then burnished gold +mithril silver on the edges

2nd- silver
1- all metal ares are painted with boltgun metal
2- a badab black wash
3- then highlight with chainmail.

again i then neaten up any other areas that need it.

next- black
1-highlight with 50/50 black/codex grey
2- highlight with codex grey

next-red
1- paint all areas with scab red
2- next blood red leaving scab red in all the recess's
3- a careful highlight of firey orange

next- purity seals/tabbards etc.
1- paint all areas with khemri brown
2- next i blend bleached bone leaving khemri brownin recess's as required
3- skull white on all the upper edges

for the skin(which is usually the 2nd colour i do after the armour)
1- base coat tallarn flesh
2- ogryn flesh wash
3- tallarn flesh highlight
4- 50/50 tallarn flesh/elf flesh on upper raised areas
5- elf flesh on upper areas
6- 50/50 elf flesh/skull white on extreme raised areas
i always try and ensure i keep the depth.

hope that all makes sence, i've updated it slightly from my original scheme.

i've got a couple of pics for you all. first up is hopefully a better pic of tigurius.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Ultramarines/103_3070.jpg

oh and a quick question, what do you think of the freehand? it's not something i do alot.

for those that wanted to know how his cloak was done here's the recipe-

bubonic brown basecoat
gryphonne sepia wash
bubonic brown highlight
50/50 bubonic brown/bleached bone 2nd highlight
bleached bone final highlight.

and the snow-

pva followed by gw snow 3 layers, fairly simple.

and here's the first 5 tactical marines
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Ultramarines/103_3071.jpg

i'll be starting to put some paint on these over the weekend and i'll post them individually once they're done.

anymore questions fire away.

cheers

james

p.s.- can't believe this is only my 2nd post in my own log and we're on page 2 already!!

Shadowphrakt
08-08-2008, 18:39
Coooool. How'd you get the online marine? You mug a granny? Uhhhhh. Maybe not. Looks cool though will make an awesome leader of that squad. You doign it on commission?

e gazza[zer0_hour]
08-08-2008, 18:41
looking god there spiky some very simple but effective conversions
cant wait to see them all sexy and painted

titan136
08-08-2008, 18:53
Pretty sure that tactical sergeants won't be able to have a bolter + powerfist. That's how its been in the BA and DA codexes. The powerfist replaces the bolter.

As far as I know, devastator sergeants are the only ones that can have that option.

But it looks cool :)

spikyjames
08-08-2008, 20:23
Coooool. How'd you get the online marine? You mug a granny? Uhhhhh. Maybe not. Looks cool though will make an awesome leader of that squad. You doign it on commission?

these are all my own.

i got the online marine from a friend across the pond:)

Pretty sure that tactical sergeants won't be able to have a bolter + powerfist. That's how its been in the BA and DA codexes. The powerfist replaces the bolter.

As far as I know, devastator sergeants are the only ones that can have that option.

But it looks cool :)

cheers, i'll just change the squad markings or chop off the bolter if and when it happens, thanks for letting me know though.

James

Shadowphrakt
08-08-2008, 20:31
these are all my own.

James

Cool. I want that marine a lot, its awesome. Will you be gettign the SM Spearhead? Would be a nice addition to your Ultramarines.

Light of the Emperor
08-08-2008, 22:16
I'm loving it Spiky! Thanks for the step by step on the colors. I'm going to try them out on my skullz promo ultramarine banner bearer.

Came across your Mentors in the Apoc book the other day. Did you ever manage to sell your T-Hawk?

spikyjames
08-08-2008, 23:35
I'm loving it Spiky! Thanks for the step by step on the colors. I'm going to try them out on my skullz promo ultramarine banner bearer.

Came across your Mentors in the Apoc book the other day. Did you ever manage to sell your T-Hawk?

no problems, make sure you show us the results of the banner bearer.

yeah, the thunderhawk went to the same guy who got all the terminators:D

liamrob
09-08-2008, 14:07
Great conversions James :D Just noticed your James Karch on the 'eavy metal team group off facebook.

You'll manage to see my GD entries on there later on this month or the next.

Really looking forward to that guy on the left of that group of five!

cpt.skara
09-08-2008, 16:11
james. from the start of it, it looks like your ultras are going to be AWSOME. each subtle conversion is really going to make the army stand out,

these are all my own.

James

nice vet sarg. by the way. :p

Coolhand
09-08-2008, 22:27
Hi James

How did you do your snow base?

Lookinf forward to seeing some paint on the marine squad.

spikyjames
10-08-2008, 00:06
@coolhand,

and the snow-

pva followed by gw snow 3 layers, fairly simple.

Great conversions James :D Just noticed your James Karch on the 'eavy metal team group off facebook.

You'll manage to see my GD entries on there later on this month or the next.

Really looking forward to that guy on the left of that group of five!

yeah, thats me.

what, this guy?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Ultramarines/103_3074.jpg

and here's what's next(got to be done, won't take too long)

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/WIP%20Stuff/103_3073.jpg

once these are done it'll be on with more Ultras:)

Cheers

James

Shadowphrakt
10-08-2008, 00:18
Awesome looking Ultramarine there James, Black Templar Helmets are perfect for marines.

Gralph!?!
10-08-2008, 00:21
very nice colour scheme. dark but has enough light bits to make them stand out. although i gotta ask, whats the point in the sanded bases and lots of nice rocks and stuff if you are just gonna cover over them in snow?

as for the free hand, it is rather good bar a few little details. the first is that the skulls eyes are a little triangular and look a little wierd like it and the other is that there isn't much contrast in the flames, maybe a little bit of red wherethe skull and flames meet?

Coolhand
10-08-2008, 08:47
Excellent work on the ultramarine trooper, have you got an army list in mind.

spikyjames
10-08-2008, 10:46
Thanks.

Got a bit of an idea of what i'm going to have, minimum 2 full tac squads with drop pods possibly 3, 5 man termie squad, 10 man assault squad a couple of tanks and a commander of some sort as a basic list. I'll look into it in more detail as and when i get my new marine codex.

cheers

James

liamrob
10-08-2008, 14:25
Haha great looking fella James!

Now i have more ideas for that bare torso with the skull. Just need more of those wicked helmets!

Paint the plasma gunner next please :D

JonesRob
10-08-2008, 14:57
Ultras are looking great james, the dark blue definately works.

keep it going dude

Hollopoint
10-08-2008, 15:02
Like the Marine alot, loving the blue.

Any chance of a wee recipe? :)

WhatsHisName
10-08-2008, 16:20
james really like the dark blue of your "first" marine, not a big fan of the studded pads but your army :)

btw - what do you use for the bolter round clip??

thanks
martin

spikyjames
10-08-2008, 18:41
Like the Marine alot, loving the blue.

Any chance of a wee recipe? :)

Cheers, thanks.

Have a look at page 2, the full recipe for how i do all the colours is there.

james really like the dark blue of your "first" marine, not a big fan of the studded pads but your army :)

btw - what do you use for the bolter round clip??

thanks
martin

the bolter clips are off of the storm bolter from the marine vehicle upgrade sprue cut with a bit of detail added.

cheers

James

spikyjames
10-08-2008, 23:04
ooh, double post.

got the Mortar crew done for the krieg.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/DKoK/103_3075.jpg

cheers

James

muggs
10-08-2008, 23:20
another set of great looking models. keep up the good work!

Rabid Monkey
11-08-2008, 04:57
I'll be watching this one with interest since I just started my own Ultramarine army. Looking good, cant wait for more.

Shadowphrakt
11-08-2008, 08:00
They look coll James, amazing speed for the quality your churning out

Inquisitor Steinmann
11-08-2008, 08:04
Liking your smurfs; a nice deep blue rather than the brighter blues you often see for Ultramarines.

And your Krieg continue to look amazing.

The_Dark_Raven
11-08-2008, 12:22
Well done James, i like your space marines, they really do inspire me do find a fresh marine to paint. As for your DK....there just what i expected, amazing, you have a knack for bringing a model to life through building and painting it.

Keep it up over on the 40K Log.:D

JWBS
11-08-2008, 13:10
Looking good so far.

Arsonist18
11-08-2008, 20:54
That ultramarine looks sweet! Was the rest of the squad finished as well? Excellent work as always - you make it seem so easy.

I'm not familiar with the Krieg troops so what's the 4th guy on the left doing exactly? Binoculars of some sort? Looks like he's crying/sneezing into his equipment. :P

spikyjames
11-08-2008, 23:24
Thanks all.

The rest of the marine squad will be finished soon.

the 4th kriegsman has a turning handle in his right hand, a piece of the mortar.

Cheers

James

Dictator
12-08-2008, 03:21
James, I love the ultramarine you painted. Awesome job on him. It is a combination of the painting and armor Mk.: It looks sweet.
I cannot wait fro the rest of them

spikyjames
12-08-2008, 22:39
cheers, thanks. won't be too long until i get back to them:)

Finished the servitors for the Quartermaster.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/DKoK/103_3076.jpg

i'll get a better pic when the Quartermaster and the casualty are done.

Thanks for looking

James

G.Hawke
12-08-2008, 22:42
great korps man, 'love the simplicity of the scheme!

hawke

Slaaneshi Slave
12-08-2008, 22:54
I really like the Death Korps. I think I will have to get more of for my Grenadier army when I have finished the Vostroyans! :D

Girr
12-08-2008, 22:55
Sweet stuff! Cant wait to se more:)

rev
12-08-2008, 23:00
The ultras look gr8 mate, really smooth.

You around this thurs for a game - -do you have a 40k army atm?!

I'll reel the ravens out if you do!

rev

spikyjames
12-08-2008, 23:06
Thanks all.

The ultras look gr8 mate, really smooth.

You around this thurs for a game - -do you have a 40k army atm?!

I'll reel the ravens out if you do!

rev

yeah, i'm around.

don't have an army but i may have a plan, i'll pm you.

James

Dictator
13-08-2008, 00:10
Once again James, awesome job ith the servitor retinue. I really badly want a DKoK grenadier army. Even if it is just two squads and an HQ. (they would make an awesome addition to my cadian force in apocalypse games.

spikyjames
14-08-2008, 11:01
yeah the greanadiers are cool mini's, if you do end up getting them pm me and i'll give you some assembly tips.

I've now finished the Quartermaster

with retinue
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/DKoK/103_3077.jpg

and on his own
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/DKoK/103_3078.jpg

next up 5 more deathriders

cheers

James

Slaaneshi Slave
14-08-2008, 11:16
Those are absolutely stunning. I really like the natural tones you have used on the uniform. You've done yourself proud. ;)

The Wildchild
14-08-2008, 11:27
Fantastic! The Quartermaster looks amazing! Are you using the new inks on the trench coats? If not how're they done?

The_Dark_Raven
14-08-2008, 12:16
That is really cool!

I love looking at the new challanges you take on and this is impressive indeed, i really like the models in this set, the postitioning is awesome too :D

top stuff on the scrips and the Quart's uniform overall ;)

only joking...
14-08-2008, 13:04
Fantastic stuff spiky! Consider me subscribed :D

spikyjames
14-08-2008, 13:51
thanks everybody.

yeah, i've done over 80 DKoK now, it broke me away from marines for a while which was good- http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/DKoK/

the trenchcoats are bubonic brown with gryphonne sepia wash followed by highlighting with bubonic brown and then mixed with bleached bone for further highlights.

cheers

James

ReaperOfSouls
14-08-2008, 14:50
i really like what you have done to the death korps, and they are such nice models to begin with as well! Just wish I could afford them myself. But time will come I guess. Just have to find a way to distract the gf from the big hole they would put in the account. Anyways, I will keep an eye on this log to see your progress :)

Dictator
14-08-2008, 16:23
Excellent job on the quartermaster. I look forward to the next update!

Seer Drakon
15-08-2008, 00:31
That is a great looking command squad. I can't wait to see your new marine army get done. Have you made an army list yet?

liamrob
15-08-2008, 06:10
Woah the quarter master is really good looking :D

I've started to use gryphonne sepia and bubonic brown more often rescently since i've seen your/that guys DKoK. Especially for blonde hair ;)

spikyjames
16-08-2008, 22:12
Thanks guys.

no real list for the ultras yet, mainly cracking on with tac squads until i get my hands on the new codex.

finished the Deathriders
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/DKoK/103_3080.jpg

now on with more ultras:D

james

Slaaneshi Slave
16-08-2008, 22:31
Spikey James, Chaos God of Painting.

How do you paint to well so quickly? :p

Arhalien
16-08-2008, 23:50
Good to see that you're still painting stuff for the Krieg Spiky; this is a truly stunning army, and those death riders are just amazing :)

DubiousCow
17-08-2008, 08:11
Hey, I just want to say, great painting on the Death Korp. They look amazing.

But, I do have a question that I know you've already answered. I've been looking through your project log(the one that's closed) and I couldn't find the thing I'm looking for.

I was wondering if you could tell me how you paint your bases again?

sartarius
17-08-2008, 11:04
your death korp and ultrmarines look amazing,
i esspecially love tigurius and his base

Clone-Trooper
17-08-2008, 19:50

He paints ahead of time then post's it a month later , secretly . .

lol . . Great job on the paint ! :P I espec. love the bases .

spikyjames
17-08-2008, 20:18
Thanks All

cheers

just spend alot of time doing it TBH there's not much else i do in my free time

Hey, I just want to say, great painting on the Death Korp. They look amazing.

But, I do have a question that I know you've already answered. I've been looking through your project log(the one that's closed) and I couldn't find the thing I'm looking for.

I was wondering if you could tell me how you paint your bases again?

wet brush
bestial brown over black
bleached bone over that
rims with scorched brown

stones
codex grey over black
fortress grey highlight

hope that helps

He paints ahead of time then post's it a month later , secretly . .

lol . . Great job on the paint ! :P I espec. love the bases .

i'd still have to be painting quickly to be able to update so often though:p

cheers

James

spikyjames
18-08-2008, 22:46
Hi all

Well i've got another update for you all

the next Ultramarine
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Ultramarines/103_3081.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Ultramarines/103_3082.jpg

he's actually fairly big compared to the rest.

more to come

James

Slaaneshi Slave
18-08-2008, 22:53
What is this? Heresy! Space Marines do not stand up straight! It's in the Codex Astartes!

He looks great though! Keep them coming!

Mer
18-08-2008, 23:34
simply amazing.

your painting is stunning. but this is nothing that you havent heard before.
keep the updates coming, i look foward to them :)

Clone-Trooper
19-08-2008, 00:23
God , Jesus and Spikyjames . . It's like you put awesome and win in a juicer and juiced it :P

Catferret
19-08-2008, 00:31
The standing pose on that marine is very nice SJ.

Any chance you could post a rear view please? The earlier bare plastic pic was only front on as well. I just want a quick peak so I can see where to cut my own guys up.

p.s. The painting is good too. ;)

Dictator
19-08-2008, 06:30
Finally, a marine standing straight while advancing. That is something new!!!
But seriously, wicked model.

spikyjames
19-08-2008, 08:05
thanks all:D

The standing pose on that marine is very nice SJ.

Any chance you could post a rear view please? The earlier bare plastic pic was only front on as well. I just want a quick peak so I can see where to cut my own guys up.

p.s. The painting is good too. ;)

cheers,

i'll see what i can do about the rear view, TBh i'm not 100% sure i'm happy with the back of the leg as i feel i should have used a bit more green stuff to fill the armour out a bit more.

when i cut the leg up i pretty much cut all the armour grieves out seperatley including the feet, the only parts i had to really re-model was the back of the feet and tubing between the armour, hope that makes sence.

thanks

James

Shadowphrakt
19-08-2008, 08:16
That marine looks awesome, though I have one in exactly the same pose :D Its amazing how tall they become when you straighten out the legs, isn't it?

spikyjames
19-08-2008, 08:45
yeah, which leads to me thinking that all this true scaling malarky is a bit pointless, i'll put him next to a guardsman tonight just so that everyone can see what i mean.

James:)

Shadowphrakt
19-08-2008, 09:08
yeah, which leads to me thinking that all this true scaling malarky is a bit pointless, i'll put him next to a guardsman tonight just so that everyone can see what i mean.

Yeah. I did a tactical squad like this, and I got photos of them compared to a guardsman. Even Jes Goodwyn said that if you straighten out the legs, they are pretty much "truescale" Using terminator legs and everything, is just a bit OTT.

Oh, and those Death Riders look awesome James

The_Dark_Raven
19-08-2008, 13:32
He looks nice and clean, i really like the way you go about detailing your marines...great work amd i look forward to that comparison pic.

Dictator
19-08-2008, 15:48
I can't wait for the scale pic. And next ultramarine.

only joking...
19-08-2008, 18:26
Woah spiky great work on that Ultrasmurf. I see that you have used the new washes on those guardsmen and I was wondering what you thought of them as I have been a bit unsure wheter to get them.

CMDante
19-08-2008, 19:12
Nice job with the marines mate, I totally agree about just straightening them up, however I do find that the thighs are too thin and need filled out a bit. Here's one I did a few years ago:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/CMDante/WIP/DSCN0728.jpg

Loving the painting and the little details your adding, keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Dante

spikyjames
19-08-2008, 19:38
Thanks guys

here's the size comparison wit a guardsmen
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/103_3083.jpg

@CMDante, i'm quite happy with the look, i won't be doing it to them all, just a few.

@only joking..., yeah i really enjoy using the new washes, i've started doing glazes aswell which is fairly good. so worth getting IMO.

cheers

James

only joking...
19-08-2008, 22:41
Thanks spiky, lovely work as usual.

kamedake88
20-08-2008, 00:57
Your ultras make my ultras cry. we need to chat spiky cause you are ever my hero

Dictator
20-08-2008, 05:38
Can you tell me how you made that green? ;]
No but seriously, the blue on your ultra's rock. If I had ultra's like that, I would stare at them all day and never leave my room.

The_Dark_Raven
20-08-2008, 09:42
wow didn't expect that much size change from a simple leg cut, looks like the marine could stand toe to toe with a rider or mounted troop.

Usiel
20-08-2008, 11:12
Wewt!

Looking good, I gotta say as much as I dig the huge true scale marines, I would do them your way on my own, more subtle

Very nice paint work too

I must know (As I am planning on constructing plastic Sternguard very soon) what did you use for the drum magazine?

Looking forward to more

*subscribed*

Usi

spikyjames
20-08-2008, 12:03
Thanks guys.

don't know if he'd be quite on par with a mounted mini size wise, depends on what mini really.

the drum mags are from the storm bolters on the vehicle upgrade sprue, just trimmed down a bit to fit, alternativley you can use the mags from termie storm bolters aswell(i have done in the past)

James

liamrob
20-08-2008, 14:10
Really good James :D

Have you got a picture of pre sculpting to see what you did? I just haven't been game enough to sculpt knee pads yet so i haven't done a standing marine yet :p Only kneeling marines so far ;)

What's being painted next!?

Mr.chair
20-08-2008, 16:34
Just checked in and I'm glad to see thew only thing that's changed is the scenery. Loving your Ultramarines!

Gibbtall
21-08-2008, 23:18
Awsome rines, too bad it was wasted on the Ultramarine chapter :P

Mer
22-08-2008, 07:04
amazing work.
im not a fan of ultras normally, but you have made me like them somehow :)

Sarlock
22-08-2008, 08:12
nice work on the new log

painting looks even better than your old ultra's and the snow bases really gives it something more...snows my preference atm for bases

did you chop up a whole lot of terminator storm bolters for the extra ammo under the boltguns? how'd you manage to find a whole lot of spare terminator arms just lying around? hehe

liamrob
23-08-2008, 01:28
Sarlock it has been mentioned a few times but i use Spiky's method of it to. ALso you do have about 4 termie storm bolters left over IIRC from the termie box.

the drum mags are from the storm bolters on the vehicle upgrade sprue, just trimmed down a bit to fit, alternativley you can use the mags from termie storm bolters aswell(i have done in the past)

spikyjames
23-08-2008, 22:55
Thanks everybody

the magazines are from the storm bolter from the vehicle upgrade sprue just trimmed down a little.

anyway, i have been painting over the last few days

all five
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Ultramarines/103_3087.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Ultramarines/103_3084.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Ultramarines/103_3085.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Ultramarines/103_3086.jpg

pic show the sarg has a bit of snow on him, this has been removed now, once these are varnished and have had the last layer of snow applied i'll post a new pic.

let me know what you think.

best get building the next five now then.

James

Shadowphrakt
23-08-2008, 23:07
Awesome. Simply pureawesome. I'm painting some of my LGS Ultramarines, and am using yours as a reference ;)

Dictator
24-08-2008, 05:22
Those are wicked cool. how have you not gotten more comments? Seriously people!! It is spiky we are talking about!!

sartarius
24-08-2008, 08:49
that tactical squad is immense spiky...simple as

Toschenko
24-08-2008, 09:18
Impressive as always, Spiky :D. You should fix the plasma guy's shoulderpad though, the chapter icon is a bit rough.

Regarding the sergeant model.... I want it! It's a LE one, isn't it? It was sold as part of a deal (like old battleforces) or it was available only at some event?

Toschenko

hallowed_are_the_ori
24-08-2008, 09:38
Very nice Spikeyjames. I love the snow and the blue armor is very eye catching and clean :)

rev
24-08-2008, 09:51
looking good mate.

I've dug out two moulded ultra shoulder pads if you can use them?

rev

spikyjames
24-08-2008, 10:13
Thanks everyone, keep the comments coming.

Impressive as always, Spiky :D. You should fix the plasma guy's shoulderpad though, the chapter icon is a bit rough.

Regarding the sergeant model.... I want it! It's a LE one, isn't it? It was sold as part of a deal (like old battleforces) or it was available only at some event?

Toschenko

yeah, i never noticed that, i think it's a bit of glare tbh, i'll get a better pic of them once they are all varnished.

the Sergeant is from the US webstore opening deal, i believe when the new UK webstore goes live they'll have a few thousand to be sent out when people make orders over Ģ50.

i got it from a friend:D

looking good mate.

I've dug out two moulded ultra shoulder pads if you can use them?

rev

chers mate.

yeah i'll take them off of you hands:cool:

Hopefully i'll be able to get the next 5 put together tonight, i'll get pics when i do.

James

only joking...
24-08-2008, 10:17
Awsome work spiky, I have just started an Ultramarine army and I hope you don't mind if I steal a few ideas. ;)

Hive Fleet Typhoon
24-08-2008, 10:51
wow these looks great spiky!! keep it up :P also what are ya using as the snow for the SM bases, because i might just have to use the same stuff as it looks cool.. :P

cheers mate

spikyjames
24-08-2008, 11:52
Awsome work spiky, I have just started an Ultramarine army and I hope you don't mind if I steal a few ideas.

cheers, feel free.

wow these looks great spiky!! keep it up :P also what are ya using as the snow for the SM bases, because i might just have to use the same stuff as it looks cool..

cheers mate

the snow is GW snow applied with PVA.

As promised, here's the squad with the bases finished and all varnished.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Ultramarines/103_3091.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Ultramarines/103_3088.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Ultramarines/103_3089.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Ultramarines/103_3090.jpg

hope the pics are a bit better.

Thanks for looking.

James

swifty2
24-08-2008, 12:39
Really nice work on the ultramarines mate you've brought a really nice touch to them.

BDJV
24-08-2008, 12:48
They look great! Kudos to you for getting a jump on making some Sternguard Vets! :D

NetGuru
24-08-2008, 13:40
What kind of varnish do you use? in the before and after pictures the varnish seems to really unite the paint job, and give it an earthy realistic tone.

WhatsHisName
24-08-2008, 13:53
erm really like them, my favorite is the one with "black templar" head his poss is boss, also what plasmagun have you used at it looks huge :)

spikyjames
24-08-2008, 14:59
They look great! Kudos to you for getting a jump on making some Sternguard Vets! :D

nah, these are just tactical marines, every marine in the army will have this type of bolter, i'll do something different for my sternguard when i get round to doing them.

What kind of varnish do you use? in the before and after pictures the varnish seems to really unite the paint job, and give it an earthy realistic tone.

army painter matt spray, had to try something different now that testors isn't availiable. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Army-Painter-BASE-PRIMER-MATT-VARNISH-SPRAY_W0QQitemZ270268120697QQihZ017QQcategoryZ5636 3QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

erm really like them, my favorite is the one with "black templar" head his poss is boss, also what plasmagun have you used at it looks huge :)

it's the normal marine plasma gun! i think the crusader helm guys is my favourite at the minute aswell.

thanks for the comments.

James

liamrob
24-08-2008, 17:01
Very nice James!

I have really taken a liking to the different helmets that are only used in commands squads usually and it will really make the force different to others ;) Also the loincloths randomly on marines. It balances them out and adds that "extra" bit to the model :D

Top job and i'm looking forward to the next group!

Shadowphrakt
24-08-2008, 17:09
Woo! Red helmets with a white stripe going down the middle! You have joined us!

BDJV
24-08-2008, 19:12
That's cool, Tac marines with flair!

Dictator
25-08-2008, 03:50
Yeah the new pic with the dul coat looks great. That is dull coat yes?

BLARGAG!!!
25-08-2008, 04:17
everything looks GREAT!!!!

one thing i gotta ask, how did you do the snow basing? i really want to know cuz im doing a sorta winter themed army and cant seem to get the snow right.

keep up the amazing work!
BLARGAG!!!

spikyjames
25-08-2008, 10:40
Thanks everyone:D

Yeah the new pic with the dul coat looks great. That is dull coat yes?

nope not dull cote this time, army painter matt spray varnish.

everything looks GREAT!!!!

one thing i gotta ask, how did you do the snow basing? i really want to know cuz im doing a sorta winter themed army and cant seem to get the snow right.

keep up the amazing work!
BLARGAG!!!

cheers

the snow is gw snow applied in three coats using PVA glue, although i'm told naking soda gives a better look!

hope that helps

James

Solun Decius
25-08-2008, 10:55
Wow, really top notch paint jobs here. Good photography too!
I really love the subtle conversions, leg cuts and such, on the Marines. The excellent blue armor is what caught my eye though.
Krieg are always cool and your deathriders really stand out. Good stuff!

rev
25-08-2008, 11:19
army painter matt spray varnish.

so it worked ok for you? no nasty residue?

spikyjames
25-08-2008, 13:59
cheers

so it worked ok for you? no nasty residue?

yeah, it seems ok, i was fairly nervous initially as tiggy got a coat of it too! but all is fine.

James

spikyjames
26-08-2008, 22:43
hi all

well as promised here are the next 5 marines for the squad built.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/WIP%20Stuff/103_3092.jpg

let me know what you think.

hopefully i'll be able to start painting them tomorrow.

cheers

James

Dictator
26-08-2008, 23:23
Spiky. I love you.
Seriously, if I am ever near you, we should game.

Catferret
27-08-2008, 00:41
Still waiting for the rear pics SJ. ;)

And those guys aren't undercoated yet, seems like a good opportunity. :D

Coolhand
27-08-2008, 21:18
I'm loving the tall guy's :), looking forward to seeing the squad all complete.

Shadowphrakt
27-08-2008, 21:50
Very nice Spiky. Was just wondering, how hard did you find it to reposition the feet? And how did you do it> Did you do what I do and try and cut round the foot?

spikyjames
27-08-2008, 22:14
thanks all.

Still waiting for the rear pics SJ. ;)

And those guys aren't undercoated yet, seems like a good opportunity. :D

doesn't look great, but you get the idea
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/WIP%20Stuff/103_3093.jpg

Very nice Spiky. Was just wondering, how hard did you find it to reposition the feet? And how did you do it> Did you do what I do and try and cut round the foot?

i just cut the front of the foot off and gs the rest.

cheers

James

sartarius
27-08-2008, 22:17
your greenstuffing is actually great i envy you!

tcraigen
28-08-2008, 01:48
good work I am always impressed with how good marines look standing up, to bad they are not made that way.

liamrob
29-08-2008, 04:06
Looking great Spiky ;)

Just wondering but how did you cut the limbs apart? Hobby saw? or something else?

Catferret
29-08-2008, 11:26
Thanks for the pic James. It makes it easier to see where the cuts have been made and how much spacing is required. Much appreciated.

spikyjames
29-08-2008, 12:48
thanks guys.

the cuts were made with the knife i use for all my hobby stuff.

@catferret, i found that i needed to file down the front of the armour plates on the top part of the legs where it touched the knee (make sence) to make it fit properly.

James

Sarlock
31-08-2008, 10:57
the squad is looking awesome can't wait to see the next 5 marines done

for your second squad (when/if you do one) don't use a plasma gun in it though...they are a total points sink at 10pts as opposed to a free flamer!!

and also I wanna see how you would paint one with nice burn marks hehe

Binabik15
31-08-2008, 21:33
Lovely guys as always.

Iīm a bit torn on the Korps, because they look like theyīre wareing Steel Legion uniforms. Thatīs great and looks cool, but grey Death Korps is cool, too. So I canīt really decide which I like better :rolleyes:

The UM are great, because the blue seems to be more Crimson Fists like instead of the usual (baby) blue.

Just a question, what camera do you use? Your photos are always high quality and seem to be more consistent with colour variation, sharpness etc than most peopleīs pics. Normally Iīd expect you to use a lightbox to get those results, but it seems you donīt :eek: So, I got me some monies to spend and a new camera would be preferable compared to an even bigger backlog of miniatures (especially with this very awesome and wallet killing fall, with dozens of great video games being released, consuming time and money).

To add some hopefully comstructive criticism, the sculpted foot section looks a bit rough, do you have clay shapers? Otherwise, a very gentle and steady swipe with a finger with a tiny amount of water, vaseline or vegetable oil on it works, too. Especially with slightly roundish shapes. But let the GS cure and always work in layers (if only Iīd listen tom myself more :D).

rev
31-08-2008, 22:06
great stuff SJ, looking top notch as always

rev

Gonfrask
31-08-2008, 22:20
Stenguard, arenīt they? They should not wear the helmets white?

spikyjames
31-08-2008, 23:21
the squad is looking awesome can't wait to see the next 5 marines done

for your second squad (when/if you do one) don't use a plasma gun in it though...they are a total points sink at 10pts as opposed to a free flamer!!

and also I wanna see how you would paint one with nice burn marks hehe

cheers thanks

i've not really decided on how i'm going to arm the rest of the squads, tbh 10points imo ain't really a points sink, i'll be having a play around though.

Lovely guys as always.

Iīm a bit torn on the Korps, because they look like theyīre wareing Steel Legion uniforms. Thatīs great and looks cool, but grey Death Korps is cool, too. So I canīt really decide which I like better :rolleyes:

The UM are great, because the blue seems to be more Crimson Fists like instead of the usual (baby) blue.

Just a question, what camera do you use? Your photos are always high quality and seem to be more consistent with colour variation, sharpness etc than most peopleīs pics. Normally Iīd expect you to use a lightbox to get those results, but it seems you donīt :eek: So, I got me some monies to spend and a new camera would be preferable compared to an even bigger backlog of miniatures (especially with this very awesome and wallet killing fall, with dozens of great video games being released, consuming time and money).

To add some hopefully comstructive criticism, the sculpted foot section looks a bit rough, do you have clay shapers? Otherwise, a very gentle and steady swipe with a finger with a tiny amount of water, vaseline or vegetable oil on it works, too. Especially with slightly roundish shapes. But let the GS cure and always work in layers (if only Iīd listen tom myself more :D).

thanks.

the death korps are commission work so i didn't have all that much say in the colour scheme, i like them though, hopefully i'll have a pic of the all the DKoK i've painted so far for you all to see.

thanks for the tips, yeah the back of the foot is a bit rough(not quite as rough as it looks in the pic though), you know i should really buy myself some clay shapers any pointers on what ones would be good?

i do tend to let the gs cure for a bit before i put the finishing touches to what i'm doing so i'm half way there.

as for my camera, well it's getting a bit old now, probably around 5 years, i use a Kodak CX6445 and i have just recently started using a light box, couple of lamps and the exposure compensation ramped up to 1.5, it's working fine for me now

great stuff SJ, looking top notch as always

rev

Thanks mate, much appreciated, i'll bring what i've done along so you can have a look next time your at the club.

Stenguard, arenīt they? They should not wear the helmets white?

nah not sternguard, don't know if i've mentioned it before but the whole army will have these style of bolters, i like doing a bit of conversion on bolters :D

i'll have an update for you al tomorrow nightlate on, i'll have finished a whole 2 more marines by then!!

as always, thanks for looking and keep the feedback coming.

Cheers

James

Catferret
31-08-2008, 23:35
SJ: Get some clay shapers from Heresy (http://www.heresyminiatures.com/clayshapers.htm). There is a set with a variety of shapes due back in stock in October. Failing that, go for a flat chisel tip and taper point tip. I've found that the firmer the rubber is the better. The softer stuff flexes far too much for my liking. The taper tip is great for cloth and such.

Ebob (http://www.ebobminiatures.com/products/tools.htm) also do tools but they have a greater range of the metal variety. They have a pack of 2 rubber tipped tools (the ones I use in fact). Also plenty putty and handy tutorials.

Art shops should also sell clay shapers but I can't say how much they'd charge. Have a look when you're next in buying brushes. ;)

Hope that was some help.

spikyjames
01-09-2008, 23:23
thanks Catferret i've ordered myself sone from Ebob :)

anyway, as promised here's the next 2 guys for the tactical squad
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Ultramarines/103_3099.jpg

thanks for looking

your input and encouragement is always appreciated:D

james

Dictator
01-09-2008, 23:39
They look awesome spiky. are those pictures pre or post-varnish? Also, what color/s do you use as the lighter tone on the Optics? Dwarf-flesh or something?

Catferret
02-09-2008, 00:08
Good luck with the sculpting tools. You'll soon be making your own models to show us. ;)

The latest marines are looking good. No complaints here. :)

CaptainSenioris
02-09-2008, 00:37
It's so rare these days to see well done Ultramarines, which is such a shame.

I'm really liking these, keep it up.

spikyjames
02-09-2008, 08:16
thanks all:)

They look awesome spiky. are those pictures pre or post-varnish? Also, what color/s do you use as the lighter tone on the Optics? Dwarf-flesh or something?

cheers

these are pre-varnish.

i use 50/50 fiery orange/bleached bone.

james

JonesRob
02-09-2008, 10:49
Great progress on the ultras James, good work mate

the_reaper
02-09-2008, 13:28
Tres awesome (GCSE french there ;)), where do you get all your spare mags from? :D You seem to have loads.

Will you be making your sternguard extra-special? Or do you think white will suffice? (if your buying sternguard that is).

Yet another awesome log Spiky :)

-reaper

rev
02-09-2008, 17:39
looking good!

fantastic army, look fwd to pitting my wits against it

rev

Pulse
02-09-2008, 19:51
James matey, where are you getting the drums for the bolters they are using?

Sorry to sound silly! ;P

Slaaneshi Slave
02-09-2008, 20:34

Sorry to sound silly! ;P

To save him having to answer somebody who doesn't read for the 10th time, they are from the Storm Bolters on the Vehicle Accessory Sprue.

Coolhand
02-09-2008, 20:43
James have you done something to the guy on the rights knee pads? they look different.

Nice start to you army :)

spikyjames
02-09-2008, 23:09
thanks all:D

Tres awesome (GCSE french there ), where do you get all your spare mags from? You seem to have loads.

Will you be making your sternguard extra-special? Or do you think white will suffice? (if your buying sternguard that is).

Yet another awesome log Spiky

-reaper

i've put together a fair few marines(including vehicles) in my time and seem to have the magazines coming out of my ears, Rev gave me some too:)

looking good!

fantastic army, look fwd to pitting my wits against it

rev

a few months yet mate, still trying to decide if i should go all pod or rhinos?

Sorry to sound silly!

yep, from the marine vehicle accessory sprue, i have a few

James have you done something to the guy on the rights knee pads? they look different.

Nice start to you army

the knee pads are just cuts in the lower greaves filed a little to make the gaps wider.

thanks all

james:)

Cygnusmaximus
03-09-2008, 03:31
I hope you're waiting until the Codex comes out to decide between Rhinos and Pods - it would be a shame for such a lovely army to lose just because Drop Pods give Kill Points.
Fabulous work, as always!

Althanan
03-09-2008, 16:45
You get these photo results out of a KODAK? Only time I've gotten close is when I've managed to use the D100 I get to use at work on my minis... I think I hate you a little more now ;)

spikyjames
04-09-2008, 08:42
I hope you're waiting until the Codex comes out to decide between Rhinos and Pods - it would be a shame for such a lovely army to lose just because Drop Pods give Kill Points.
Fabulous work, as always!

I believe Rhinos give kill points too so it doesn't really matter either way TBH.

You get these photo results out of a KODAK? Only time I've gotten close is when I've managed to use the D100 I get to use at work on my minis... I think I hate you a little more now ;)

Yeah all from my trusty old Kodak:D

The next guy is now done-
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Ultramarines/103_3100.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Ultramarines/103_3102.jpg

cheers

james

warflag
04-09-2008, 09:10
I must say, I have a weakness for quality smurfs. And these are all I expect them to be! Great painting, grand freehand markings, very clean, enviable!

Also, snow bases are best IMHO for Ultras. The best contrast, and fluffwise of course.

Keep it up!

Cheers
Bart

liamrob
04-09-2008, 15:14
Look great James! Liking the idea of the Mk6 greaves.

I see you have some helmets from the black templar sprue ;) I had to pick up a box of the sprues since they are insanely cool! Just have to be careful on filing the BT stuff off.

I had a read through the codex on Tuesday ;) And IIRC the plasma guns are only 5 points each and special and heavy weapons are only for squads of 10. The rhino is 35 points with searchlight, smoke launchers and storm bolter and the drop pods are the same points just no upgrades. The plasma cannons are 5 points each IIRC and lascannons are 5 points more with the heavy bolter for free! Sorry for the highjack but just to let you know ;) so you can plan on what to build next

Can we have an army shot of everything built please? and painted.

spikyjames
04-09-2008, 17:05
i've only 2 more marines to get done for the rest of the squad so i'll get a pic of tiggy and the squad for you then.

thanks for the heads up on points costs.

did you see the white scars in the book? ;)

James

de Selby
04-09-2008, 17:43
Have you got more pics into a GW publication spikey? :)

The cut-out kneepads are clever. I might steal that idea...

Aquilla
04-09-2008, 18:22
Looking very nice spikey.
The dark blue looks great on ultras. :)

Dictator
04-09-2008, 18:28
Awesome. I love your ultramarines. And I cannot wait to see the entire squad finished!!!

Coolhand
04-09-2008, 19:05
Hey James which takes longer to paint per marine your Ultra's or Mentor's.

Looking forward to catching the scars....

spikyjames
04-09-2008, 22:40
Have you got more pics into a GW publication spikey?

The cut-out kneepads are clever. I might steal that idea...

might have:D

yeah, go fo it, i didn't think it was looking that good initially but i now think it worked pretty well!

Looking very nice spikey.
The dark blue looks great on ultras. :)

Awesome. I love your ultramarines. And I cannot wait to see the entire squad finished!!!

thanks guys, hopefully the squad will be finished by saturday night.

Hey James which takes longer to paint per marine your Ultra's or Mentor's.

Looking forward to catching the scars....

don't know really, i think they're about the same tbh.

cheers

James

liamrob
05-09-2008, 03:24
I saw some white scars ;)

Will have another look at try and spot the fella maybe tomorrow!

Mr.chair
05-09-2008, 16:26
Looking great so far. Can't wait to see the whole squad together.

Dictator
10-09-2008, 18:02
When can we expect an update James? :)

synapse
10-09-2008, 21:25
im loving the upright poses very much - great work

Lardidar
10-09-2008, 22:55
James this is as always fantastic work (only just found this log but was a big reader of the old one)

I have a question that may have been covered but I missed it but ..... how do you do your gold?

spikyjames
11-09-2008, 11:12
Thanks guys

there will be an update over the weekend, i've been away with work over the last few days and decided to take a small break over last weekend.

the recipe for the gold is with the rest of the ulramarine recipe on page 2:)

cheers

James

gonzosbignose
11-09-2008, 13:41
James

First time i've popped into this thread, and god havent i been missing out.

Firstly, DKoK incredible, but its actually your smurfs that have realy impressed me the most.

The blues are impecable, and the metalics work look ace.

Ill defintely keep my eyes peeled for more of this in the future.

Regards

My name is Daniel and i am a wargamer

spikyjames
13-09-2008, 22:57
Cheers

Well i said i'd have an update and here it is, the whole squad's now done.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Ultramarines/103_3106.jpg
and final 2
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Ultramarines/103_3107.jpg

pleased i've now finished this squad, if any of you are at GD tomorrow you'll see a few of these in the squad category, don't think they'll win anything but hey, i may as well try!

i'm about to take a slightly different direction for the army, the next couple of squads will be black reach squads and they'll be done very quickly just so i can get an army on the field asap.

anyway, hope you all like the whole squad done.

thanks for looking.

James

Catferret
13-09-2008, 23:20
Nice to see the whole squad done. It seems a shame to be rushing the Black Reach models. I'd certainly like to see them done to this standard as well.

IncrediSteve
14-09-2008, 00:12
Something tells me Spiky's "Rushing" will still put most of our work to shame :p.

synapse
14-09-2008, 00:59
will the black reach models get their legs repositioned as well?

Sarlock
14-09-2008, 04:22
awesome squad..you shouldn't have got rid of the bolter on the sergeant though because that looked awesome and you can still give bolters to sergeants in the new sm codex...

but hey he looks fine with a bolt pistol too and your painting is excellent, good work

hallowed_are_the_ori
14-09-2008, 05:49
Very nice spikyjames. I like the contrast between the snowy bases and the armor, and i've always been a fan of how neat and clean your highlights are, they're always spot on.

migsula
14-09-2008, 08:57
Excellent feel. I love the moody blue and the execution of course is brilliant.

Damokles
14-09-2008, 09:55
flawless as always spiky, I like how you varieted the chapter- and squad-markings from marine to marine a little, they're still tied together but it gives the impression of individual heraldry, very nice

liamrob
14-09-2008, 16:39
Very nice ;)

Dam we don't get Games days over here in Australia anymore :( But Golden demon is good enough!

So the black reach guys are going to get rushed but the standard? I guess it'll still stay very high!

Dictator
14-09-2008, 17:28
Hey James, I love 'em. When you get back from GD give us an extensive report of what happened. I want to know!

spikyjames
14-09-2008, 19:35
Thanks all.

we'll i'm back from GD, the small squad i entered got through the first cut but didn't make the final 3, it's kind of what i expected tbh. not enough detail, i'll have to try and do something specific for next year.

not very good at doing reports i'm afraid.

I had a good day though, got all i went for, and a little more:D

i got-
Marine Codex
2 Drop pods
Sicarius
Telion
Direct only Techmarine.

not planned-
WD 346
Forgeworld Ultramarine Venarable dreadnought:D

I met a few warseer's too!

Was very happy to see the White Scars army i did for gw laid out in the marine book and also in a battle report in this months WD!!

i also got this pic of something that gw will be realeasing in the future
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/103_3120-1.jpg

any questions feel free to ask, i'll try to answer as much as i can.

(i tend to just wander around looking at stuff at GD)

James

synapse
14-09-2008, 19:41
hey thats a legion of the damned! nice

i posted a questio nearlier on - will you be straightening the legs of the starter box marines too?

sartarius
14-09-2008, 20:14
hey spikey i was at games day!
i duno if i saw u...if u saw a guy with a pink bear sticking out of his bag...that was me! lol

Dictator
14-09-2008, 20:25
Awesome, legion of the damned. Good to see you had a good time and got that sweet new UM venerable dreadnought.

Suicide Messiah
14-09-2008, 21:39
Is WD 346 the one with the john blanche interview in?

DioīRa
14-09-2008, 21:50
Wow...legion of the damned....the perfect space marine chapter to show up for any imperial force in distress :eek:

sad to ehar you didn't get in the final 3....perhaps next year those sweet Legion of the damned :cool: I bet they will be metal models :(

spikyjames
14-09-2008, 23:34
hey thats a legion of the damned! nice

i posted a questio nearlier on - will you be straightening the legs of the starter box marines too?

nah they'll all be standard, trying to get them done quickly.

Is WD 346 the one with the john blanche interview in?

yeah that's the one, there's 3 marine battle reports in there.

james

Shadowphrakt
14-09-2008, 23:40
Saw you at GD Spiky, always nice to put a face to a name :) Did you see the Tau battlesuit of some kind in one of the cabinets? Looked quite tasty.

Sarlock
17-09-2008, 09:16
Can you please do a scout squad with telion soon I cannot wait to see you paint up that model...ohh and sicarius

try to put them up there towards the top of the list if you could

Apologist
17-09-2008, 10:11
Gah! Triple post.

Apologist
17-09-2008, 10:18
Sorry... another copied post.

Apologist
17-09-2008, 10:26
not planned-

Forgeworld Ultramarine Venarable dreadnought

Git! :p

Absolutely beautiful work here – in common with your Mentors, these are clean and fantastically well-done. Looking forward to whatever's next, but hoping for some more Ultras!

The_Dark_Raven
17-09-2008, 11:57
Nice find Spiky

the_reaper
17-09-2008, 19:42
How did you get Sicarius??? I was one of the first people in, and they had none :( (thats what they said at least)

Ah well, got just about everything else to do with marines :D

Nice to see a whole squad together, whats next on the agenda?

-reaper

liamrob
21-09-2008, 02:57
Garh you got the stuff that early without spearhead :(

So you freelanced the white scars! (read off 'eavy metal chat) How did they ask you to do that?

Put Telion to the top of the list or sicarius please :p

Dictator
21-09-2008, 03:29
He made those. He did not use the metal sternguard vets.

spikyjames
21-09-2008, 07:39
hi all

sorry there's been no updates recently, i've been busy doing other stuff. there may be one next week, depends on how i get on this week. there may even be a few Mentor Legion terminators!

Garh you got the stuff that early without spearhead :(

So you freelanced the white scars! (read off 'eavy metal chat) How did they ask you to do that?

Put Telion to the top of the list or sicarius please :p

yeah, i did the white scars around christmas last year, i've done a few bits for GW like that.

telion or sicarius is definatley at the top of the list so you shouldn't have too long to wait.

Cheers

James

liamrob
21-09-2008, 08:50
Wooo more mentors! By the way those rumoured metal mentor shoulder pads aren't too far away ;) Saw some piccies of them in the advance order catalogue off a GW employee the other day.

@Dictator, i mean the drop pods and sicarius. Also obviously the other ones aren't metal as he actually mentioned how he made them :P

static grass
21-09-2008, 09:06
hi all

yeah, i did the white scars around christmas last year, i've done a few bits for GW like that.

Did you take any pictures perchance?

Death Korp
21-09-2008, 09:08
Awsome, you do Ultramarines! I'm doing an army of them too, and yours look pretty cool :)

DK

spikyjames
21-09-2008, 10:19
Did you take any pictures perchance?

i did at the time, at present i can't remember where i saved them:(

if i find them i'll make sure i put a few in here.

James

Edit- i've found some pics of them, i'll post a few after the codex is officially released:)

Marsekay
21-09-2008, 11:44
thanks Catferret i've ordered myself sone from Ebob :)

anyway, as promised here's the next 2 guys for the tactical squad
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Ultramarines/103_3099.jpg

thanks for looking

your input and encouragement is always appreciated:D

james

Hey mate nice ultra's

the guy on the right, is that a black reach guy with forge world mk 4 head?

spikyjames
21-09-2008, 12:34
Hey mate nice ultra's

the guy on the right, is that a black reach guy with forge world mk 4 head?

nope, he's a normal marine with a BT head and a little filing below the knees.

James

Seer Drakon
23-09-2008, 01:25
Hey SJ,
Man those UM are really coming along. I like em. I just got the new WD in the mail today and I think your White Scars are in there. You really did a kick ass job on them. I like the command squad...wait... I like those bikers also...oh and the drop pod too. Can't wait to see your pictures. The ones in the WD didn't turn out to well. Keep on pumping on those marines.

static grass
23-09-2008, 17:37
Edit- i've found some pics of them, i'll post a few after the codex is officially released:)

What a tease! :D I will be watching this thread the second the codex is out.

only joking...
23-09-2008, 19:24
Woah Spiky those White Scars are sweet, I too bought the codex at GD and thought they were a 'eavy metal job for sure! Great work mate.

liamrob
24-09-2008, 04:25
Hehe i looked at the page of the white scars army for a while yesterday. How long did it take you to do them? Also lucky you for getting to paint the drop pod that early!

Did you mention they are in a battle report coming up?

spikyjames
26-09-2008, 22:44
Thanks guys.

home for the weekend, away again on monday morning.

unfortunatley i didn't paint any of the new parts of the army in the book(drop pod/scout bikers), there are a few more small bits that haven't been in the pics so far but not much. i did them in the space of about three months on the evenings over the christmas period last year.

i'll have a pic of my built scout squad formy ultras for you to look at tomorrow at some point, there's not alot of conversion on them, just knee-pads and silencers.

cheers

james:)

Dictator
26-09-2008, 22:47
Silencers!!!! That sounds so cool, I cannot wait.

spikyjames
27-09-2008, 16:04
Yeah silencers:) i've tried to mimic Telions to try and tie him and the squad together, hopefully when painted it works!

here's a couple of pics
whole squad
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/WIP%20Stuff/103_3122.jpg

and an individual
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/WIP%20Stuff/103_3123.jpg

let me know what you think?

James

Catferret
27-09-2008, 16:13
The silencer on the individual guy looks a little squint to me. Just wanted to point that out before he gets painted. Aside from that, it looks good.

The knee armour certainly goes a long way to tie the squad together visually. The only other thing you could add now would be cloaks for the whole squad, but I imagine that would be too much trouble unless you took the cheat approach like I did and used the sniper bodies.

Inquisitor Steinmann
27-09-2008, 16:20
Nice work on the silencer conversions - very simple but very effective and I think they will tie in nicely with Telion's. Green stuff knee pads are a nice addition also.

And a suggestion: how about adding scopes to the bolters, again like Telion's? Would fit in nicely with his special rule of allocating his BS to another squad member.

Great work on the Ultramarine's as a whole - youve managed to create a nice Gothic feel to them with the deep blue.

Coolhand
27-09-2008, 16:54
Really like the knee pads not sure about the silencers, more than likely look a lot better painted.

spikyjames
27-09-2008, 20:27
thanks for the feedback guys, i'll have a look at that minis silencer when i get a chance.

i did think about sights for the weapons but just thought they might end up looking a bit too much like Telions.
also the cloaks were another thought but i thought i'd leave that for a squad i'm giving camo cloaks.
i may add another couple of scouts with sniper rifles to this squad once i've done a bit of play testing with my army.

Cheers

stahly
27-09-2008, 20:40
Hey James,
what will you do with the heads of the scout? will you leave them as they are, or shave off their jawlines or add green stuff necks?

spikyjames
27-09-2008, 21:05
@stahly, tbh i quite like them as they are i've no plans to do anything to them.

what you got on the painting table at the minute, aint seen anything from you for a while.

James

stahly
27-09-2008, 23:03
Me? Do you really mean me with my humble log of Ultramarines that I have abandoned long ago? Can't believe you still remember.
Well, I finished my Ultramarines to around 1700 pts of troops and tanks plus some hundred points of characters. Then I painted some Ulthwé Guardians and some single Eldar models I liked, also a Tac/Veteran Squad of Dark Angels, some Vostroyans and Escher gangers. I lost a bit of focus lateley, I'm studying now and have a part-time job, so I don't have much spare time as I used to.
However, with the new Edition and new codex my spirit for Ultramarines rekindled and I decided to go mad and strip my entire army and repaint them, adding some new units and models here and there and some minor but characterful conversions as you do it with your marines. They are always a great inspiration for me and I'm really looking forward to your new Ultras.
My painting has also vastly improved, should be almost as good and clean as yours, and with the new Fanatic Army Painter colored primers, foundation paints and citadel washes I can finish models a lot quicker. I'm now able to paint a basic marine in two and a half hour, when I started my army, I needed the double amount. Speeding up my painting has become really important to me when your hobby time becomes less and less.
I did a lot of mistakes with my Ultramarines as they were my first true army, like changing color formulas and brands and got overboard with some bases...
Won't start another project log though as I'm going to spent the time it would take to photograph and upload for painting. Maybe when the armies done I will do some pictures, but with my little spare time it will keep me busy until spring/summer next year and as I know myself, I will occasionally paint something different. After then I would love to do an Ulthwé themed army with some Harlequins or expanding my Vostroyans in a Witch Hunter themed Guard army or probably as storm troopers in a Sororitas army.

konrad
28-09-2008, 09:45
Loving the Ultra Marines. Also got this months White Dwarf, really like the White Scars. Guessing you painted them the same way you painted the Mentors??

spikyjames
28-09-2008, 10:24
@stahly, from what i can remember your ultras weren't all that bad, it'd be a shame to strip them i rekon. just add more different units.

@konrad, yeah the white was done exactly the same way, may well be why they asked me to do them!

cheers

James

Dictator
28-09-2008, 19:26
I wish I had money for the WD. I want to see your scars all up close.

rev
28-09-2008, 21:05
looks great as always mate. Long time no chat, hope all is well :)

Mr. Nipples
28-09-2008, 21:16
Dude, nice paints. seriously very clean and very accurate.

The Wildchild
01-10-2008, 18:34
Which parts of the White Scar army did you paint (sorry if you've already said, I may of read it but it's not sunk in)?

Excellent Ultramarines, can't wait to see how the scouts turn out, especially Telion!

CMDante
01-10-2008, 19:29
Nice job on the scouts, they fit perfectly with Telion. The White Scars you did for the latest WD look great too.

Do you mind if I ask how you got commissioned by GW to paint them? Did they pay or did you get perks? (freebies!)

Cheers,

Dante

spikyjames
01-10-2008, 20:00
Which parts of the White Scar army did you paint (sorry if you've already said, I may of read it but it's not sunk in)?

Excellent Ultramarines, can't wait to see how the scouts turn out, especially Telion!

no worries, basically i painted everything apart from the new release stuff.

Nice job on the scouts, they fit perfectly with Telion. The White Scars you did for the latest WD look great too.

Do you mind if I ask how you got commissioned by GW to paint them? Did they pay or did you get perks? (freebies!)

Cheers,

Dante

GW just got in touch with me, i've only done a couple of things but i think they're stopping going outside the studio now.

for doing the scars it was a bit of both(cash+minis) although i'm still waiting on the minis to arrive, tbh i'm not fussed.

i may have some more pics of built stuff this weekend when i get home, oh and maybe a painted drop pod:D

cheers

james

The Wildchild
03-10-2008, 14:47
The White Scars are brilliant, I bet Eavy Metal had a tough time getting the new models to look as good as yours!

Pfreck
03-10-2008, 18:28
Hi Spiky!

I just wanted to say that I am amazed by the White Scars you did for GW! I really dig them, they look great! The only downside on the army is that they look somewhat a bit too standard for White Scars (like the heads of the marines, the Mongolian like heads are great for WS!)..

Otherwise, they're perfect!

spevna
05-10-2008, 06:45
double post

Marsekay
05-10-2008, 07:04
I like your take on those scouts although mr ferrets right, the silencer is on the skew upwards slightly. knee pads are awesome. :)

spevna
05-10-2008, 07:14
Looking forward to seeing the old geeza scout bloke painted, nice looking mini.

spikyjames
05-10-2008, 12:30
Thanks guys.

hopefully i'll be able to start painting the scouts tonight once i finish the drop pod.

These White Scars?
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Commission/103_2254.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Commission/103_2259.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Commission/103_2421.jpg

i do have a few more pics, i'll drop them in over the next few weeks.

cheers

James

crandall87
05-10-2008, 12:50
No one paints white as good as spikyjames. I love those WS I am so jealous.

Dictator
05-10-2008, 19:30
The white makes me want to worship you. too late!
Cannot wait to see the scouts

Ravenheart
05-10-2008, 19:49
The White Scars are looking awesome Spiky. More of it!

static grass
05-10-2008, 20:53
Spikey they are really good. They look good inthe WD too.

That white is something else, I would love to do the White Scars but the retina burn must be intense. I really like the way you broke up the white with the zigzag patterns.

spikyjames
05-10-2008, 22:36
Thanks guys.

Finished the 1st drop pod now.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Ultramarines/103_3150.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Ultramarines/103_3151.jpg

i'll be starting on the scouts over the next few days.

Cheers

James

Dictator
05-10-2008, 23:30
Just awesome. Not much to say. The weathering on the bottom is subtle and top notch.

Gonfrask
05-10-2008, 23:58
Do you have painted the White Scar army of the new codex?ŋ?

Vimes
06-10-2008, 05:07
Just awesome. Not much to say. The weathering on the bottom is subtle and top notch.

I'll second that!:)

And your White Scars are incredible. I don't think, that at GW they have anybody able to paint white like you do.

Aegius
06-10-2008, 17:08
although your white scars are nice, don't let all these reprebates distract you from posting piccies of your even nicer ultramarines. I love that droppod, its making me look forward to getting mine in a few months.