PDA

View Full Version : MIGHTY ARMIES 15mm in a box

Crazy Harborc
23-04-2005, 17:38
I just got done checking out a new (to me) fantasy selection of minies. 15mm complete armies in a box. There is a decent choice of armies, there are accessory items available.

Mongoose puts them out. The Warstore (in the USA), a online site/store has them in his growing stock. A box with an army is $19.95(USA). You get a general, a shaman, 22 or so troops, 8 or 10 specials and some elites, that varies by the box picked. Undead, Orcs, Barbarians.....the "good guys". ;)

Check it out. I am going to be checking out Mongoose and whatever other goodies they have in their inventory.

jazzdude78
24-04-2005, 23:58
If youre chekcing out Mongoose(I assume because of SST)
Id say look at Gangs of Mega-City 1 the judge Dredd based skirmish game of gang warfare
Its pretty cheap, and has a nice set of rules and minis
though the similarities to Necromunda are there

the problem Ive heard about Mighty Armies is that it is simply a game in a box there isnt much else to it besides the box and a few blisters
The variety really isnt that big
that said I do still like the minis plus I think some of the older models(orcs/barbarians) you can still buy individually and thus add more grunts to the army without buying a new box set

Crazy Harborc
25-04-2005, 00:58
I've been told there are several decent rules sytems that can use 15mm minies. Since none of them are GW, you can likely use a mix of different companie's minies in a game.

I have mentioned 15mm to regular opponents. "Well, after all these years it's, a little late for us"......I have heard more than once.

mattjgilbert
22-05-2005, 23:19
Years ago my brother and I collected 15mm armies to play Warhammer. We simply changed the scale to cms rather than inches. All other rules exactly the same. We played on a board 3' x 2'. It worked a treat. Plus the armies are dead cheap to collect and so many companies do 15mm Fantasy, the variety was always there. When it came to greater daemons, we used the ones from Epic (Space Marine at the time) which worked out just right in 15mm scale.

Crazy Harborc
23-05-2005, 03:00
I like the Mongoose Pub. concept of a army in one box. I hope the range expands, with luck I can line up 3 or 4 potential opponents willing to each buy one box and give it a try.

jazzdude78
23-05-2005, 10:18
WEll the Sorcerors legion was in theory released(or will be by the end of the monthish) so thats now 6 total armies which aint too bad
Plus they say that snakemen are on the horizon

I just wish that Mongoose would release blisters of the grunt troops for us to buy

Griefbringer
24-05-2005, 10:31
I've been told there are several decent rules sytems that can use 15mm minies. Since none of them are GW, you can likely use a mix of different companie's minies in a game.

You could perfectly well use 15mm minies for Warhammer or Warmaster if you wanted to.

Crazy Harborc
24-05-2005, 19:41
Be careful there!! The GW "IP Police" might show up at your door and remove all your GW stuff as punishment for impure thoughts involving GW products. After all, GW knowns best what scale "must" be used :rolleyes:

Griefbringer
25-05-2005, 08:39
Don't worry, I am wearing my tinfoil hat so they cannot read my thoughts!

Crazy Harborc
26-05-2005, 01:37
Being able to use specific minies with more than one rules system is just one more perk, one more reason to buy them. :D The question is, will my wife believe that?? Um.......convincing her can be fun.

billr
05-06-2005, 10:09
They contain rules? Or are you inventing your own?

jazzdude78
06-06-2005, 17:10
Well the mighty armies boxed sets do contain the rules if thats what you mean

billr
07-06-2005, 04:48
Yeah. Thanks

Taliesynkp
07-06-2005, 16:52
I bought three armies sight unseen (orc, wild elves, and barbarians).

The mini's are terrible, and I mean god-awful bad. The rules on the other hand are fun and fast. It took my son and I about ten minutes to learn how to play, but we were still figuring out new tactics three months later.

To be honest though, all are mini's are gathering dust while we play Halo 2 on Xbox live.

Crazy Harborc
07-06-2005, 19:59
I have yet to see the 15mm minies "live". I know a potential opponent who has hundreds of useable 15mm minies. If he's not interested? I'll just prime with different colours and use their 15mm minies.

KTG
07-06-2005, 23:34
I bought three armies sight unseen (orc, wild elves, and barbarians).

The mini's are terrible, and I mean god-awful bad. The rules on the other hand are fun and fast. It took my son and I about ten minutes to learn how to play, but we were still figuring out new tactics three months later.

And some of the minis ideas are silly, like elk pulling chariots. I understand everyone wants to be different, but that is just dumb.

Some of the armies do apeal to me, like the Undead or Scorceror's Legion, although I am not crazy about the rest.

I do like the concept though, and would consider picking up a couple of boxes, but I guess I was afraid once I opened the boxes I wouldn't be crazy about the minis.

Maybe one day when they start selling on the clearance rack at the hobby stores. . . which I expect to start happening. . . soon. :chrome:

blitz589
07-06-2005, 23:36
Where is the website for mongoose

KTG
07-06-2005, 23:56
It's right here. (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/)