PDA

View Full Version : My Triumphant Return After 10 Year Hiatus

oni
03-08-2008, 19:31
Like the title says, I haven't played or painted anything in 10 years. I quit right when 3rd edition was released, but only because all my gaming buddies quit and I was left with no one to play against. Anyway... I caught wind of a new edition (5th edition) from a friend who games, but not 40K, and looked into it. It made me nostalgic and excited so I decided to play again. So, here I am and here is my first completed squad... If you would like details as to how I painted these you check out my blog the link is in my sig.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h199/oninopoo/combat_squad_final.jpg

Starfarer
03-08-2008, 19:52
They look really good! You definitely seem to have retained some painting skill over the last 10 years. :p

Be careful, though. I hadn't played for nearly 8 years when I got back into 40k and now I'm hooked! It's like a crack addiction or something. You come back for a taste and all the sudden you're broke and making excuses to your significant other about where all the money is going. ;)

oni
03-08-2008, 21:11
They look really good! You definitely seem to have retained some painting skill over the last 10 years. :p

Thank you. It's kinda' like riding a bike... I guess is the age old pun. I was actually somewhat of a "pro painter" when I played back in the days of 2nd edition. Almost all of the 40K community that I gamed with commissioned me to paint their stuff. What's funny about that is, I had so many jobs lined up that I ended up commissioning someone to paint my Eldar force. :D

One year I entered a commissioned job into the Baltimore Golden Daemon competition, but not really by choice. After I had finished the job, the customer insisted that I enter it into that year’s competition. I survived 1st cut, but didn't go any further.

oni
04-08-2008, 15:14
No other opinions?

Rabid Bunny 666
04-08-2008, 15:16
Nice and crisp, after a 10 year hiatus thats incredible.

Jabba_TheHunt
04-08-2008, 15:38
Yeah, you definitely have blown those cobwebs out! Having a nice crisp neat finish goes a long long way compared to complicated detail and shading. They are looking superb.

I am about to dust off the models and get going again after a few years, I would be really happy if my next squad came out like that!!

Looking forward to the next squad. Any idea what they will be?

t-o-l-o
04-08-2008, 15:43
Glad to have you back in the game. The marines look fantastic cant wait to see more!

oni
04-08-2008, 15:45
Looking forward to the next squad. Any idea what they will be?

Thank you everyone.

The next squad on the list is a five man squad of scouts with four sniper rifles and a missile launcher.